Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 363062 times)

dwaino

Re: today's umpires
« Reply #780 on: July 10, 2015, 07:40:57 PM »
Dooks my man, who are we dealing with today? Didn't grab a record on the way in

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #781 on: July 10, 2015, 07:47:05 PM »
Dooks my man, who are we dealing with today? Didn't grab a record on the way in

Am on it Big Man....watch for the new thread
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #782 on: July 10, 2015, 10:31:15 PM »
We got a good one today with Kreuzers non mark/Valstuins defensive blunder/mark in front. You win some you lose some with the umps.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #783 on: July 10, 2015, 10:35:34 PM »
We got a good one today with Kreuzers non mark/Valstuins defensive blunder/mark in front. You win some you lose some with the umps.

Yeah, wtf was going on there lol
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #784 on: July 10, 2015, 10:40:20 PM »
How many freakin' marks were paid that were held for about .3 of a second!!
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

dwaino

« Reply #785 on: July 10, 2015, 10:46:16 PM »
30 frees to us, 25 to them. 55 stuffing free kicks. In comparison there were only 15 last night. Over officiated junk.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #786 on: July 11, 2015, 09:55:31 AM »
30 frees to us, 25 to them. 55 stuffing free kicks. In comparison there were only 15 last night. Over officiated junk.

x 2.  Shocking effort from them last night and I think we might have scored the rub of the green for a change.

dwaino

« Reply #787 on: July 11, 2015, 10:59:54 AM »

x 2.  Shocking effort from them last night and I think we might have scored the rub of the green for a change.

A fair chunk went our way, but chatting to neutral and Carlton family members after the game and comparing the free kick counts from the night before, we accepted that the whistle was probably blown nearly 40 times unnecessarily and both sides would have got a fair chunk of soft frees. That denied Kreuzer mark was a howler though. No two ways about it.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Mark, or play on? AFL umpires coach admits mistakes were made in Tigers-Blues clash

Nat Edwards 
afl.com.au
July 14, 2015

THE AFL concedes its umpires were a little trigger-happy when awarding marks during Friday night's Richmond-Carlton game.

One of the most obvious cases came in the third term, when a fumbled mark was paid to Richmond forward Ty Vickery.

On Tuesday, AFL umpires coach Hayden Kennedy admitted the officiating umpire blew the whistle too early.

"Obviously with Vickery, there were a couple of marks where we went too early," Kennedy told AFL.com.au.

"But once again, I'll reiterate whatever the guys see, if they think it's a free kick, they'll just blow the whistle."

However, Kennedy conceded a mark should have been paid to Carlton ruckman Matthew Kreuzer in the third term.

The Blues big man took a grab over the top of Nick Vlastuin in Carlton's attacking 50, but the Tiger was awarded the mark instead.

Kennedy said umpire Troy Pannell was in the correct position but just made a mistake.

"Matty takes a clean grab of it first, he controls it," Kennedy said.

"Nick brings the ball down with him but I think from the vision on the night, it needed to be a paid mark to Matthew Kreuzer.

"In two hours of footy, we make incorrect decisions at times, and this is just one of them. It seems as though our umpire was in pretty good position but just read it wrong."

There was also a huge discrepancy in the free kick counts between Thursday night's Port Adelaide-Collingwood game and the clash between Richmond and Carlton.

Just 17 free kicks were paid at Adelaide Oval on Thursday, while 57 were awarded at the MCG the following night.

Kennedy said he had no problem with standard of umpiring across the weekend and rejected suggestions the umpires were directed to pay more free kicks on Friday night after a low number in the previous game.

"We can only umpire what's in front of us," Kennedy said.

"There was a lot of chatter this week in the difference in the numbers. But if you have a look at those 57 free kicks, there's not many of them that are actually incorrect.

"It's just a different style of game. We can go from one game in Cairns where there's 12 ball-ups, and I go to Brisbane the next day and there's 39 ball-ups and free kick numbers are quite similar, so it's just a different style of game."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-14/when-is-a-mark-not-a-mark-afl-umpires-coach-admits-mistakes-were-made-in-tigersblues-clash

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
Kennedy is wrong. Last Fri was a perfect example, if the umpy pays a couple of soft in the backs early in the game, the mids pick up on it immediately and it is congestion city as small mids jump on the ball hoping for an in the back.
The umpires have played a part in contributing to this congested rugby scrum of a game at the moment with their over-umpiring.
The umps are more upfront these days and own up to their mistakes, and good on them. But if you really want to be honest with yourself, even if not with us, those umpires ruined last Friday night's game. They got sucked into every little trick in the book and stupidly paid frees for them. I shouldn't complain because it went our way, but they contributed to the awful spectacle that the match became.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Love how they mention the ones in our favour. What about Kruzers "mark" that was held for a shorter time than Vickerys

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Why are really badly skilled games always badly umpired?
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Why are really badly skilled games always badly umpired?

Because the 5h1te umpiring brings down the standard of the game?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Umpires
« Reply #793 on: April 01, 2016, 11:17:59 PM »
26 frees to 17. We were shafted!

No surprise in the week sheep dog leaves and Luke ball bag takes over

Offline hyperlite

• Jack Dyer medallist
Re: Umpires
« Reply #794 on: April 01, 2016, 11:24:03 PM »
you can't blame the umps when we gave away a 3 goal lead with 3 mins to go.

Where was the flood with 25seconds to go?

Where were our tall guys when moore kicked it to the top of the square?

What cost us was a lack of leadership in the last 90 seconds.

Fact is we let that game go because panic set in and we ran out of toilet paper.