Author Topic: Samson Ryan [merged]  (Read 71372 times)

Online Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
Re: Samson Ryan [merged]
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2023, 10:20:42 PM »
If all 3 are on the ground at the same time (which won't be all the time), I reckon Jack will play very high.

I doubt they have all three on often. When Ryan is on he will be mainly as relief ruckman or more a stay at home forward with either Jack or aTom leading up or playing high. Will be interesting to see how he is used but I do like the fact he is being given a go and hope he shows some of the talents we have seen at the lower level.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2023, 12:37:53 PM »
I just don’t know how 3 gals in our forward line works. It’s never seemed to work.
Go and look at the trend in the game with what just about every other side is doing.

Three talls is very much the norm with most and some are playing three talls a ruck/fwd and a ruck.

The sides that are not doing this dont seem to have the cattle on their list to do it.

In this we seem to be in a bad place with only two proven key fwds and they are 31 and 35 this year.

The only other real option atm is Ryan and he has just one game to his name. Ben Miller who is more a defender imo has 13 games and while an option fwd does not look to be an answer there long term.

Take this week Adelaide can throw at us Walker, Himmelberg, Fogarty and if they desire Thilthorpe with obrien rucking.
Going fwd they have no worries with only Walker older than 27.

Our opposition last week Carlton had Curnow, McKay, Silvagni and this week are adding Pittonet to DeKoning in the ruck.

as stated you can do similar with most teams.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2023, 12:42:23 PM »
Agree clawski.

We simply cannot cover the lack of quality talls with manic small pressure anymore. Hocking saw to that.

Jack should be finished this year you'd think so hopefully a couple of Bauer, Bradtke or Miller can be at least serviceable up forward with Lynch.

I suspect when Cotch, Jack and maybe Tarrant retire we will go to the draft (cheap list spots) and FA (key forward). I'd like to think that Balta, Gibcus, Young/Biggie could be a reasonable backline moving forward.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #153 on: March 25, 2023, 06:06:17 PM »
Looked good out there.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #154 on: March 25, 2023, 06:49:31 PM »
Glad he kicked some goals but he looks so lost when the ball hits the ground. Has no contest in him

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #155 on: March 25, 2023, 07:19:33 PM »
Haven't seen the whole game yet but it would appear clawski was bang on the money. Good call mate.

Glad he kicked some goals but he looks so lost when the ball hits the ground. Has no contest in him

Second game, I think we can let it slide haha.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #156 on: March 25, 2023, 08:03:00 PM »
Think we saw both sides of it. 3 tall system worked great in the first half when the game was on our terms but did not help at all when we were getting dominated. If we had another small or midfield rotation instead would it have helped? I tend to think not given how badly we were getting beaten but yeah we’ll just have to see it in action for a few more games.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #157 on: March 25, 2023, 08:06:55 PM »
Think we saw both sides of it. 3 tall system worked great in the first half when the game was on our terms but did not help at all when we were getting dominated. If we had another small or midfield rotation instead would it have helped? I tend to think not given how badly we were getting beaten but yeah we’ll just have to see it in action for a few more games.
having 3 talls that apply little to no pressure is such a killer though

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #158 on: March 25, 2023, 08:08:54 PM »

Oh I agree. It’s just we were getting so resoundly beaten, I doubt a small fwd or mid in 1 of their places would have made a difference.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #159 on: March 25, 2023, 09:58:23 PM »

Yep it was painful to watch the rebound

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2023, 03:48:24 AM »
Samson Ryan has had maximum impact, with all five of his disposals being involved in a score for his team, including kicking three goals.

https://www.afl.com.au/afl/matches/4796#timeline

Samson's stats:

6 disposals (4k, 2h, 4c, 2u, 83.3% eff.)
4 marks .... (2 contested marks)
1 tackle
1 clearance
1 inside 50
6 hitouts
144 metres gained
5 score involvements
3 goals
1 free for
69% time on ground

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #161 on: March 26, 2023, 07:53:42 AM »
Thought he was very good

Can't agree with that. He created ground ball contests, he chased, pressured and importantly game awareness has improved markedly.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #162 on: March 26, 2023, 02:53:54 PM »
“I thought we found a kid today . . . Samson Ryan,” Hardwick said in his post-game press conference.

“He took some big marks and kicked three big goals and was probably unlucky a couple of other times not to get some free kicks, because he’s that tall.

“If we can just get them into his game, that’d be a great result.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1291770/ryan-s-ripping-return

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2023, 06:41:33 PM »
The Undroppable: Samson Ryan

The 22-year-old looked much more equipped as an AFL player in his second outing.

Ryan has put on a bit of size over the off-season (and plenty more since his 2021 debut) and seems more comfortable at the elite level.

That showed in his output against the Crows.

The 206cm Ryan finished with three goals including a crucial set shot from 50 in the tense final term. He also took four marks (two contested) and helped out in the ruck.

While his overall numbers weren’t huge, his presence could help the Richmond forward line stretch some smaller opposition defences.

Source: SEN

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #164 on: March 28, 2023, 12:06:05 PM »
Think he only had 67% game time as well. So really when they had a run on its likely he spent significant time on the bench anyway.
The thing with Samson is i think hes more a ruckman and as he gets stronger at 206cm he will become a great 2nd ruck foil for whoever our first ruck is while being able to impact fwd. Probably an unkind analagy but atm a lesser version of what Melbourne do with  the Gawn Grundy ruck situation and Jackson before that. We dont have two ruckmen who can go fwd so Ryans role should be something like 50% fwd 20 - 30% ruck then bench.
If rebound becomes a problem in a game then the coaches are paid to see it.   pretty simple thing to just rotate the rucks from the bench if that happens .

I also go on about the height of most backlines we go with 4 talls  religiously. Grimes 193cm, Broad 192cm Balta 194cm and Tarrant 196cm.
Just think especially with all the rule changes chaos footy does not work anymore, the ability of sides to lock the ball in the fwd half with the use of smalls is a thing of the past. The norm it seems is at least three big tall defenders and very few smalls. Its not as if lets call it a one v one the tall fwds are chasing small defenders out or playing on them.Thats more about your defensive systems and how well you set up once the ball is in the fwd half.The way its gone imo it has become more important that your forwards are not just there for pressure but kick goals. Imo there is no place anymore for just a defensive fwd. That was fine before Hocking got his hands on the game.

One of the main reasons i have advocated a third tall fwd or ruck/fwd is to take the heat away from in particular big Tom. Also to make those tall intercept defenders that most clubs have think twice about leaving their opponent to double team a player.
We go into games and we concede straight away Tom is going to be playing on two.

Going to add tackling is a massive problem for us and has been for awhile.  not just the numbers but the ineffectiveness of them.
Actually lay an effective tackle and get them to ground  and you take that players run and involvement out of the play.
Imo we are the worst tackling team in the comp.I have a few ideas why that is but won't go into them.

For many years now the trend has been for taller and bigger players right across the board those talls are generally more agile and faster as well. Thats just natural progression. Where we really notice it more than anywhere is mids. They are becoming just as big as kpp's in instances.

Any way pleased for Samson yes i would like him to be more involved but if he is kicking three goals every week clubs will have to put a lot of work into him and then the benefits will flow, with JR and TL getting more freedom and less opponents.