Author Topic: Samson Ryan [merged]  (Read 71623 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Samson Ryan [merged]
« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2022, 08:23:37 PM »
What expectations do we have for ruck/fwd Samson Ryan?

The 22 yr old is about to enter his 3rd season with us &  didn't feature at snr level in '22, so needs to show progression to break into the snr side with his best chances likely fwd.

His main competition is Benny Miller..

https://twitter.com/Tigers_of_Old/status/1603573140906729472

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2022, 10:37:22 PM »
I have big expectations of Sampson Ryan given his natural football ability. He's good at ground level, a strong marks and is a good set shot. He just needs to build up his body and learn how to use it to split packs and contest against other rucks.I see him as a key forward more than a 2nd ruck. I think he's in for a big year and will play multiple games for us at AFl level in 2023.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #137 on: December 25, 2022, 05:28:11 PM »
I have big expectations of Sampson Ryan given his natural football ability. He's good at ground level, a strong marks and is a good set shot. He just needs to build up his body and learn how to use it to split packs and contest against other rucks.I see him as a key forward more than a 2nd ruck. I think he's in for a big year and will play multiple games for us at AFl level in 2023.

I don't mind him either but i see him more as a ruckman than a fwd. Just don't think he has the athleticism or agility to play permanent  fwd.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #138 on: February 26, 2023, 12:53:50 AM »
If Lynch misses the start of the season, and assuming the coaches decide to replace him with a tall rather than a small, then I think Samson will have first dibs. Played fwd all game during match sim with nank and Miller rotating through the ruck. Think he played reasonably well too, jagged a couple of goals, took some string contested marks and looks quite agile for someone 206cm.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #139 on: February 26, 2023, 06:16:52 AM »
FWIW, the only rucks I rate beyond Nank are Miller and the only forwards beyond Lynch and Jack are below 6ft 3inches.
Soldo has to prove that reco hasn’t turned him queen mary on a turning cirle and Sammy Ryan just hadn’t done enough to warrant anything other than a slow hand clap.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2023, 08:22:57 AM »
If Lynch misses the start of the season, and assuming the coaches decide to replace him with a tall rather than a small, then I think Samson will have first dibs. Played fwd all game during match sim with nank and Miller rotating through the ruck. Think he played reasonably well too, jagged a couple of goals, took some string contested marks and looks quite agile for someone 206cm.

I thought Bradtke looked like he has potential and that VFK bloke May looked like a genuinely good forward.

I still have my doubts over Ryan and I really don't know how he'll get a game unless Nank+Soldo or Lynch go down but then he will be playing on a genuine first ruck or first/second tall defender rather than a VFL prospect and I think he'll struggle.

Hate to sound negative but I don't see him on our list at the end of next year.

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2023, 07:56:46 PM »
I thought he physically looked stronger in the body and he competes well in the air and at ground level. Another 12 months under his belt and he could be a solid AFL forward.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2023, 08:48:59 PM »
Samson's cameo last quarter:

6 disposals (6k, 0h, 5c, 1u, 33.3% eff. )
5 marks (4 contested marks )
1 inside 50
141 metres gained
1 free for
3 score involvements
1 goal
2 behinds
1 ootf
24% game time

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2023, 09:41:41 PM »
Needs to work on his set shot kicking but otherwise looked good. If Lynch/Jack are injured/managed/suspended, he’d prob be the first tall forward I’d bring in. Not that we have many options to choose from.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #144 on: March 05, 2023, 10:56:05 PM »
Round 1 with no Tarrant then id say we roll the dice and play Miller in defence and Samson as the second ruck tall fwd.
He can do no worse than JR. Itmay even free both TL and JR  up a bit.

Remember people in general when players hit 30 they don't get better but worse at varying rates.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #145 on: March 05, 2023, 11:35:56 PM »
I agree with this provided he’s picked ahead of soldo and not together with him.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #146 on: March 06, 2023, 12:17:49 AM »
Round 1 with no Tarrant then id say we roll the dice and play Miller in defence and Samson as the second ruck tall fwd.
He can do no worse than JR. Itmay even free both TL and JR  up a bit.

Remember people in general when players hit 30 they don't get better but worse at varying rates.

Totally Craw.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #147 on: March 23, 2023, 06:28:51 PM »
Twenty-two-year-old Ryan was another who showcased a standout pre-season and as such has earned a recall for his second senior game.

He came on for the final term of Richmond's pre-season game against Melbourne earlier this month, taking five marks, four of them contested grabs, and kicking a goal, turning heads since he'd played three quarters in the VFL practice match earlier that day.

The 206cm ruck/forward will give Toby Nankervis support while providing the Tigers with an additional aerial target inside 50.

"(Samson's) been going very, very well at VFL level and can pinch hit from up forward," Senior coach Damien Hardwick said when speaking to the media on Thursday morning.

Source: RFC website

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #148 on: March 23, 2023, 06:50:16 PM »
I just don’t know how 3 gals in our forward line works. It’s never seemed to work.

FooffooValve

« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2023, 07:13:41 PM »
If all 3 are on the ground at the same time (which won't be all the time), I reckon Jack will play very high.