Author Topic: Samson Ryan [merged]  (Read 59455 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Samson Ryan [merged]
« Reply #345 on: June 03, 2024, 01:12:00 PM »
Doesnt look to be a forwards arse hole. Imo we need to replace Colina, OH-B Naismith and Ryan.

If we are to play him give him a run in the ruck and rest Nankervis. Lets see if he can offer enough in that role.

Personally with the injury to Lefau  id like to see them play all of Bauer, Blight, Grey and Kosichitzke

Maybe our hand is forced and we now play Balta, Bauer and Grey forward and partner Miller with Blight and Kosi.  Ruck Ryan.

Honestly, I like it. Kosi isn't bad a ruck relief IMHO and we know Balta could rotate with Ryan for relief too.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #346 on: June 03, 2024, 01:28:51 PM »
LMAO - never seen a young ruck scrutinised so heavily about his ability as a stuffing forward....seriously even the best ruck/forwards might kick a bag once in a blue moon but  aren't blokes you'd want exclusively in the forward role or to be your main target up there for most of the game unless every other option was unavailable......and if you still need to see what he offers when Nank is out then you clearly weren't watching early last year when that actually happened and he played his best games for the club.... :shh
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 01:45:17 PM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #347 on: June 03, 2024, 03:58:39 PM »
LMAO - never seen a young ruck scrutinised so heavily about his ability as a stuffing forward....seriously even the best ruck/forwards might kick a bag once in a blue moon but  aren't blokes you'd want exclusively in the forward role or to be your main target up there for most of the game unless every other option was unavailable......and if you still need to see what he offers when Nank is out then you clearly weren't watching early last year when that actually happened and he played his best games for the club.... :shh

You seem to defend Ryan a lot, do you know the kid or something ?

I agree with the sentiment that he deserves a fair run at it, but his absolute lack of intent around the contest and lack of ability to really impact in any way other than tapping the ball is just profound.

I mean he’s sort of like Dow isn’t he ? Too soft, shows little to no intent and struggles to find a way to impact the game. With all that said I thought he actually took a few steps forward against the cats. Just let him play till the end of the year and make a call

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #348 on: June 03, 2024, 04:00:16 PM »
So impatient here his the least if our issues yeah he has weaknesses,  but alot to like to.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #349 on: June 03, 2024, 04:05:00 PM »
Well he is played as a ruck/fwd and he has been almost non existant in most games. The expectation is the odd goal and for gods sake a few contested marks or at this stage just be competetive in the marking contest. We all know atm when the ball hits the ground he is a passenger.

Those few mythical games you constantly go on about from last year which was  four games where Nankervis did not play from round six to nine ? They  were okay but he was beaten in all of them. If you think he was a better option than Nankervis then you are being  no disrespect delusional. I think Miller did better in two of those games.
At no stage has he shown himself to be a better option than Nankervis or Niasmith or even Soldo for that matter purely as a ruckman.
Hence he has struggled to get games in front of all of them none are world beaters.

One can only hope he gets their and i really do hope he can take his game up a few levels but im not gunna sugar coat where i think he is at atm. The solution has been to play him as a ruck forward to get games into him but well you said it thats been a fail and i think most would agree he needs to be played purely as a ruckman

Forget about the forward part of it, he is not a forward i think you agree.
Apart from some glimpses,  he has shown bugger all at the level as a ruckman in the vast majority of games he has played.
FMD every man and his dog criticised Soldo, not for his ruckwork,  because of all the other areas he was deficient in. same can be said for Samson atm.

Those so called fantastic four games that has you insisting he is a future champion ruckman is nothing special either.
He was beaten in all of them and while he showed good signs was mostly well below what others actually offer.

He played against Gawn and Grundy and not surprising was well beaten and next up he played against Witts and Witts was dominant again not surprising.

The two games he did real well in was against williams from wce  a kpf playing ruck because of injuries i thought Williams better over all. The other one was against Ceglar from Geelong an aging third string ruckman att and again while he did well lost that battle imo.

That gap and performance between average and Quality opposition says it all in a way.

You go on about Nankervis but the difference in output competetiveness,  toughness, ability is literally the length of the flemington straight.
He doesnt play first ruck simply because he is nowhere near the level of Nankervis or for that matter Naismith as a ruckman.
We are all hoping he can CONSISTENTLY get somewhere close to it and soon..

So far to date he would have to be one of the worst rated ruckmen in the entire comp thats okay to a point they take time to develop we all understand that.

He turns 24 this year he consistently fails to take marks that he should, he is still constantly pushed around by smaller opponents, his output is way too often very limited and most games he is a total liability once the ball is on the ground.

Thats not a criticism its just what has happened so far, its a pretty obvious observation based on what has happened so far.

Im all for playing him as a ruckman even for the rest of the year, but i really am hoping the club in particular are not thinking he is going to be a great ruckman.,  At this stage imo it would be very prudent to get a another genuine young ruckman with potential on the list rather just hoping Ryan will turn it all around and become something that doesnt look likely atm, or the two basketballers will be something special.

Simple fact is i just dont see it with him i really hope im missing something for me he needs to show some real improvement in areas he has been poor in and shown little improvement in.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #350 on: June 03, 2024, 05:24:43 PM »
Well he is played as a ruck/fwd and he has been almost non existant in most games. . The expectation is the odd goal and for gods sake

I'd say for a ruckman and against the gold standard as well as current & former teammates he's tracking pretty nicely on that front so far....

Nankervis 37 goals from 147 games @ 0.3

Gawn - 105 from 215 @ 0.5

Grundy - 71 from 205 @ 0.3

Soldo 28 from 64  @ 0.4

Witts - 36 from 134 @ 0.2

English - 70 from 120 @ 0.6

Ryan 14 from 18  @ 0.8

:shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #351 on: June 03, 2024, 05:34:27 PM »
Well he is played as a ruck/fwd and he has been almost non existant in most games. . The expectation is the odd goal and for gods sake

I'd say for a ruckman and against the gold standard as well as current & former teammates he's tracking pretty nicely on that front so far....

Nankervis 37 goals from 147 games @ 0.3

Gawn - 105 from 215 @ 0.5

Grundy - 71 from 205 @ 0.3

Soldo 28 from 64  @ 0.4

Witts - 36 from 134 @ 0.2

English - 70 from 120 @ 0.6

Ryan 14 from 18  @ 0.8

This is going to be fun  :lol

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #352 on: June 03, 2024, 05:52:01 PM »
"wE jUsT wAnT tHe OdD gOaL fOr GoDs SaKe!"  :propeller

- Thomas Sowell

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #353 on: June 03, 2024, 06:01:32 PM »
"wE jUsT wAnT tHe OdD gOaL fOr GoDs SaKe!"  :propeller

:cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #354 on: June 03, 2024, 08:02:44 PM »
Luke Jackson 0.72
Sean Darcy 0.41

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #355 on: June 03, 2024, 10:30:32 PM »

Sam Darcy the outlier - 1.4 goals a game...but he hasn't rucked all that much yet, is a freak and will be a superstar... :shh :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #356 on: June 03, 2024, 10:51:29 PM »
Not his goal kicking. He’s done quite well in that regard especially considering he doesn’t look like a natural forward.

Issue for me has always been his contest work, specifically his marking. Around the ground work is just as if not more important for rucks these days and while I can’t imagine his ground game will get much better, he absolutely must at the very least improve his aerial game significantly.

Was much better in this regard on Saturday so hopefully it’s a sign of things to come.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #357 on: June 04, 2024, 01:09:41 AM »
All you guys are looking for a super star, Samson is what we’ve got, he is doing OK, cut him some slack FFS.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #358 on: June 04, 2024, 08:28:35 AM »
Ryan is developing- surly this can acknowledged. He is not the final product as he is only 23 and still filling out his frame. His tap work and goal kicking are his greatest assets and he moves around the ground well enough. Once he develops and learns how to hold his ground he will become a sufficient player. Let's see what the 2025 version looks like before discarding him.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #359 on: June 04, 2024, 09:06:30 AM »
At 23 he needs to be starting to hit his straps and cement a spot IMO