Author Topic: Samson Ryan [merged]  (Read 71334 times)

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Samson Ryan [merged]
« Reply #240 on: May 13, 2023, 12:52:08 PM »
He’s definitely first ruck for me especially at the centre. I know nank is our captain but we need him to reinvent himself in another role. In a fantasy land it would be epic if he could actually be a 3rd tall forward to act as a foil for Jack. But now that I think about it I don’t recall any recent games where he was clunking a lot of contested marks

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #241 on: May 13, 2023, 03:36:44 PM »
His mother was in fine form after the game
Unleash the tornado

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #242 on: May 13, 2023, 03:49:25 PM »
His mother was in fine form after the game

Blind LMAO
 :cheers :cheers :cheers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #243 on: May 13, 2023, 04:47:10 PM »
Here's the clip of Roaming Brian with Samson's Mum:

Watch here: https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1656996334367395841

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Footy fans fall in love with the mother of Richmond Tigers' Samson Ryan as she creates hilarious post match interview

Jack Mahony
Sky News
May 13, 2023

The mother of Richmond Tigers ruckman Samson Ryan has stolen the limelight with a hilarious post match interview.

Channel 7’s Brian Taylor takes into the changerooms after matches for a segment dubbed “Roaming Brian” and Friday night left the fans in stitches.

The former AFL star walks around the rooms and often captures great moments with the players after the match but this time fans fell in love with Belinda Ryan.

“Brian! I love you I’m Samson’s mum,” she began.

Ms Ryan then jumped on the spot in excitement as Taylor began to ask her about the game as it was her first match of the season.

“How excited are you… Tell us about him (Samson),” he asked

“He’s gorgeous, he’s tall like his dad and… What do you want me to say!” Mr Ryan replied.

“We’ve come down (from Queensland) and we haven’t been to any other games this year.”

Samson’s mother also revealed she had met her son’s girlfriend for the first time at the game.

Taylor jumped at the opportunity and leant in and asked her “on the quiet” about her thoughts on the new flame.

Ms Ryan then turned around and yelled out looking for the girlfriend who happened to be standing right next to Taylor. In the commotion, Samson walked up and joined in the conversation.

With Ms Ryan, Samson and his girlfriend, Lily, all together, Taylor let the conversation roll on.

Lily said she was “very proud” of Samson who could not help but express his delight with the Tigers’ emphatic victory over the reigning premiers, Geelong.

Taylor continues to chat about the game with Samson who admitted he was nervous about Lily meeting his family.

Ms Ryan then jumped back into the frame talking about her other son, Samson’s younger brother, who nearly went down the “cricket path” before Taylor inquired with Lily about her introduction to the mother.

“Just on the quiet, what did you think of mum?” Taylor said.

“Oh she’s lovely, she’s um… plastered but lovely,” Lily replied.

Ms Ryan then jumped back in adding she was just “very passionate”.

Fans watching on adored Ms Ryan’s energy and some even suggested she ought to be given a gig on Roaming Brian.

“We need Samson Ryan's mum as a co-host of Roaming Brian from now on,” tweeted one.

“Appreciation tweet for Sampson Ryan's mum and his girlfriend, who told Roaming Brian the mum was ‘plastered’,” added another.

A third said: “This was lovely! His mum was so excited to watch her boy play! I hope they all had a great night!”.

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/sport/footy-fans-fall-in-love-with-the-mother-of-richmond-tigers-samson-ryan-as-she-creates-hilarious-post-match-interview/news-story/6c3db53b4f386a5903d8e1d6bfcdc433

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Strength of Samson: Big Tiger's ascent from NEAFL to the big time

By Sarah Black
afl.com.au
20 May 2023

IT'S BEEN a season of surprises for rising Richmond ruck Samson Ryan.

A series of injuries to Ivan Soldo, Toby Nankervis and Tom Lynch have seen the 22-year-old record eight straight games after breaking into the side in round two, and his influence has grown week by week.

Ryan was drafted as a Brisbane Lions Academy graduate on his 20th birthday, but started his junior footy on the New South Wales south coast, playing with both Pambula and the Merimbula Diggers.

The Ryan family moved north after Samson earned a cricket scholarship with Toowoomba Grammar, but football still held a place in his heart.

After graduating at the end of 2019, Ryan shifted to Canberra to play in the then-NEAFL competition, but came home when COVID-19 hit in March.

He hatched an 18-month plan with his new manager, Tim Batty, but such was his QAFL form with Sherwood over the remainder of 2020, Richmond picked him up with pick No.40 in the space of six months.

"I was still running three times a week, but I didn't really know why. There was a stage there where I was thinking, 'do I really want to be doing this?' I remember having a chat with Mum, we went for a walk, and I knew there was going to be 10 weeks of the (QAFL) footy season, and she said, just give it all you've got, and see what happens," Ryan told AFL.com.au.

"I played some alright footy against some bigger opposition, which was one of the most pleasing things for me. And I was just fortunate enough Richmond took notice."

Ryan's debut was one of mixed emotions, coming up against Paddy Ryder in the rain on a freezing night in late June, 2021, the Tigers falling 40 points short of St Kilda and booting 2.10 in the process.

His stats read zero disposals, one hitout and one free kick against, from 55 per cent game time playing as second ruck.

"I call it one of the best nights of my life, and one of the worst nights. In terms of best nights, my family was there – and that was one of the most unexpected things, I hadn't played that well the week before against Williamstown (in the VFL)," he said.

"And looking back now, I wasn't ready for it. But in saying that, the amount of learnings I had from that night was bigger than I'll ever take from playing VFL. It also showed me where I had to get to, it was a bit of a reality check in a sense."

Ruck coach Ivan Maric – "a big, friendly giant" – has been a calming and supportive influence for Ryan, particularly last year as he toiled in the VFL, but working closely with Nankervis and Jack Riewoldt has been equally vital.

"I tried a few different things in pre-season. I'm a big, nice human being, and I just tried to – I'm not sure what the word is – but really make a stance and get noticed, try and earn some respect from the boys by going really hard at the contest," Ryan said.

"It paid off, the boys started to notice me a bit more, and probably reflected in my footy as well, being able to be used and be big around the ground. I'm 207cm and over 100kg, so I need to be a bit more of a presence."

Ryan is plugging away at his uni course which he started prior to joining the AFL, studying secondary teaching with a focus on PE and maths.

"I'm still very heavily into cricket, there are some days I feel I love it more than footy. But I still love keeping tabs on it," he said.

"And we've got a pretty big golf culture here at the club, there'd be 20-25 boys that play, so usually on a day off you'd find us playing golf somewhere.

Ryan's family immediately shot into the wider footy consciousness last week after a highly entertaining post-match interview with Brian Taylor on Channel 7, following Richmond's big win over Geelong.

Taylor quickly established that Ryan's girlfriend Lily had met Ryan's mum Belinda for the first time earlier that day, and Lily affectionately said Belinda was "plastered, but lovely".

"I was 100 per cent nervous. I remember sitting down, we'd just finished the team song, and I looked up, and there's my mum talking to BT, and I was like, 'oh my God'. I was just keeping an eye on her, and I could tell she was very, very excited," Ryan said.

"I just wandered over to see if I could end the interview as quick as possible. It was quite funny, but the main thing is everyone's on good terms and everyone's very happy with each other.

"I was a bit nervous, because Lily had to meet them in the city (before the game), so I wasn't actually there when they officially met. We had a really nice weekend, which was the main thing, and it's all done, thank God."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/928163/strength-of-samson-big-tiger-s-ascent-from-neafl-to-the-big-time

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #245 on: May 20, 2023, 10:20:27 PM »
Looks like he needs a week off does the young fella.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #246 on: May 20, 2023, 10:20:48 PM »
Looks like he needs a week off does the young fella.

Yeah he looked exhausted to me

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #247 on: May 20, 2023, 10:21:38 PM »
Was pathetic tonight unfortunately

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #248 on: May 20, 2023, 10:23:41 PM »
Every time he goes for a mark he looks like an inflated flailing arm guy at a used car dealer.

Offline PoppyTige

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #249 on: May 20, 2023, 10:25:02 PM »
Every time he goes for a mark he looks like an inflated flailing arm guy at a used car dealer.

The return of Wacky Flailing Arm Tube Guy Vickery? I'm prepared to give Samson a little more time...

Broadsword

« Reply #250 on: May 20, 2023, 10:29:11 PM »
He just stared at the ball in front of him while a bombers player took it. He needs a spell.

Also, yeah, horrible flailing arm inflatable tube giraffe man vibes tonight. Unwatchable.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #251 on: May 20, 2023, 10:44:10 PM »
The least of our problems, the kids played what 10 games get stuck into our senior blokes.

Broadsword

« Reply #252 on: May 20, 2023, 10:46:30 PM »
The least of our problems, the kids played what 10 games get stuck into our senior blokes.
Yeah, well, all I'm suggesting is that his 11th game shouldn't be next week.

And also that if he doesn't start attacking the footy with any vigour I might have to stick a firecracker up his bum -- you know, just to see him move with some purpose and intent.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #253 on: May 20, 2023, 10:49:11 PM »
So who do play in the ruck that’s going to be better

FooffooValve

« Reply #254 on: May 20, 2023, 10:49:53 PM »
Give Biggie a go