Author Topic: Dear Danny  (Read 4417 times)

froars

Dear Danny
« on: June 20, 2004, 02:30:11 PM »
Do us all a favour and announce your retirement this week (so what if you prove Caro right).  Try and leave this club with a bit of grace by announcing your retirement and fulfil your role until the end of the season.  And in that time, play the kids and let's see what we've got to work with.  Demote players to the 2s who don't perform, starting with Fiora.  Give them the opportunity to find form in the 2s that just might save their careers.  Not many rounds left for that, but now's a very good time to start.

The Tiges have done the right thing by you in giving you your time here - now is the time to do the right thing by the club that has been so generous in allowing someone so unsuccessful have so long to prove himself.

You, the players who play for the club, the president, board have brought this club to their knees.  Time to give something back - your resignation.

Cheers

2JD

Re: Dear Danny
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 03:08:59 PM »
well said froars  :(

Ox

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 03:14:51 PM »
Lets start a petition for this matter and hand it to the club.

It wont cost anything near 50k and would give our club something to look 4ward to  ;)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 03:48:29 PM »
Perhaps the onus should be taken off Spud and directed at the board and/or football director with regard to his immediate future. It's pretty obvious he won't be the coach next season but mixed messages keep coming from the club. I think he should be told straight out by the people who employ him, rather than through the media as appears to be the case atm. At least then he could assess his options and how he is going to operate for the remainder of this season if he stays.
I don't see how resigning now involves more grace or dignity than seeing out the year. It would appear the easy option to me because I'm sure he is getting no joy from the way things are now.
I don't think he's a good coach at AFL level and I don't think he's a good motivator. I do think though that he has already conducted himself with grace while being under an enormous amount of duress.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

2JD

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 04:02:28 PM »
I agree with the way he has been conducting himself, perhaps we just need to hear from the man himself that he wont be back next year. So we can look forward with a little bit of hope?

Ox

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2004, 04:03:07 PM »
I do think though that he has already conducted himself with grace while being under an enormous amount of duress.

He's a conditioned loser!
He's had a lifetime to perfect his re-action.

His admission of resigation at the end of the year would help the playing group drastically in terms of
future vision but in turn may harm our priority draft pick hunt as we would more than likely win a
couple.

I think the best description for his resignation would be "Symbolic"
« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 04:46:30 PM by Ox »

froars

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2004, 04:33:21 PM »
I do think though that he has already conducted himself with grace while being under an enormous amount of duress.

With due respect to you (haha), that is abosolute crap.  He has been behaving like a beggar, hanging on to all hope that he won't be sacked, when he should have quit last year.  Any person with an ounce of dignity who has raped our club like he has, would have retired after the 14 losses late last year.  No, i'm going to take the Tiges to the cleaners - because I know what the media would do to them if they sacked me.

And he's been using the "Danny is a nice bloke" cliches to the hilt.  He has to resign now, fulfil his contract and get the hell out of our club.

End of rant!

Ox

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2004, 04:47:52 PM »
I've been thinking and it doesn't really matter.

He's goooooooooorn anyway.

Jackstar

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2004, 04:51:17 PM »
You are correct OX, he is gone.
T. Wallace 2005

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2004, 05:04:25 PM »
With due respect to you (haha), that is abosolute crap. 
He has to resign now, fulfil his contract and get the hell out of our club.

I didn't notice the bit about fulfilling his contract in your original post froars. I thought by  resigning you meant see you later now. Doesn't make a bit of difference to the "grace" bit in my post though. I was thinking of the way he has conducted himself in the media which I should have made clearer.
Your lack of respect for my opinion is noted. It just this minute dripped off my back and no offence is taken.  :)
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

froars

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2004, 05:31:15 PM »
I wouldn't care if he left now - but the fact remains we don't see out contracts.  I would like to see him resign now and go out with dignity like that tosser Shaw did, play the kids and let it be known he won't be around next year.  Might have a miraculous effect on how we play.

Jackstar

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2004, 05:53:44 PM »
I have a suggestion as far fetched as it may be but listen to this.
We all know he wont be coaching next year as does Danny,It is a pointless excerise him coaching any further in my opinion, contracts or no contracts.So leave now may be the best option. Problem would be who would coach in the meantime and this is probably the reason why the club keeps  saying he will coach till the end of the year as you would not want any of the assistants to take over so why not try this.
Appoint an ex-player who has ambitions to coach at the highest level in the future who could also be groomed under Wallace next year ;) and take up an assistant role next year.
It would it turn create some sort of ""goodwill""( if thats possible) and would gravitate Richmond people back to Richmond.
The only ex-player I know who has gone on to coach and does have a football brain and IS available is Scot Turner.
He is involved with the past players and was there last night.
Its just an idea but what the heck, there has been plenty of terrible decisions made at the RFC by the president and the board and the clown who signs the players contracts so this idea mighten be as silly as first thought.
Too just lay down and die and put up with Danny for the remainder of the year is not an option and either is losing every game.
It will put enormous strain on the club finiancially and would make it difficult to sell the club next year.
You dont want Casey bankrolling the joint either so its probaly not a bad idea.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2004, 12:28:01 AM »
We are paying for our reputation of being so trigger happy in the past to sack coaches. The football world and in particular a quality perspective coach wouldn't blink an eye at any of the other 15 clubs telling their Coach who had only won 17 out of his last 56 matches to go but we don't have that luxury. We have to for the sake of getting a decent coach next year either wait until the end of the season when his contract is up or hope Danny does decide to give it away without it looking like he got pushed. Otherwise we'll be back in the same position of 5 years ago where most coaches we approach won't have a bar of us and we'll end up with another Frawley.

From a winning football games context I agree it is pointless for Danny to continue (not from a priority pick context though). However from a legal and monetary perspective he has a contract that must be abided by by the RFC unless Danny chooses otherwise. Much the same as Duncan and Rogers. We simply can't afford to pay them out before their contracts are up.

Danny should come out after the Brisbane game and say for the good of the RFC he believes he's had his time in the sun and sadly it hasn't turned out the way he or the Club would've hoped for. He believes it's now time for someone else to have the opportunity of leading the RFC footy side next year and into the future. That would left him leave with dignity and give us the plenty of time to pick the right coach.

I'm not in favour of a fill-in coach. That's how we ended up with Geischen. Got the job after a few meaningless wins towards the end of the season as the players tried to save their own backsides in view of a new coach. Hmmm was a Mr Macek part of that great decision?! ::).

Scotty has done well down at Warrnambool jackstar. 2 flags since he retired and left Richmond at the end of 2000.     
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2004, 08:46:38 AM »
The only ex-player I know who has gone on to coach and does have a football brain and IS available is Scot Turner.
He is involved with the past players and was there last night.

I am not sure you could tear Scottie away from his new business venture - The Noddle Box in Warrnambool  ;) ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

2JD

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2004, 09:38:59 AM »
Wouldn't hurt to have Scotty down there teaching them a bit of toughness