Author Topic: Tim Taranto [merged]  (Read 44932 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Tim Taranto officially a Tiger [update]
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2022, 05:39:21 PM »
I'm very happy with the deal considering Pick 19 was a free pick.

I'd have traded CCJ and 1st rounder for Taranto, the fact they are Pick 12 and 19 make it seem less in our favour but we get the player we need. That is the main thing.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2022, 06:12:14 PM »
Taranto becomes a Tiger

By Richmond Media
3 October 2022

Richmond is delighted to welcome former GWS midfielder, Tim Taranto to the Swinburne Centre.

The Tigers completed the trade with the GIANTS today, exchanging selection No. 12 and No. 19 overall at this year’s draft for the midfielder.

Taranto has committed to Richmond for seven years, tying him to the Club until the end of the 2029 season.

The 24-year-old has made an outstanding start to his AFL career since being selected by GWS with the second pick overall at the 2016 AFL National Draft.

A big-bodied midfielder (188cm, 89kg) that can also play as a damaging half-forward, Taranto has averaged 23 disposals and booted 48 goals across 114 matches at GWS.

Taranto was awarded the Kevin Sheedy Medal as the Giants’ best and fairest during the Club’s breakthrough Grand Final campaign in 2019. The third-year player at the time was also the Giants’ standout in the Grand Final, gathering 30 disposals.

An excellent runner with strong aerial ability, hardness, and football nous, the competitive Taranto will offer coach Damien Hardwick’s system another first-class player across various roles.

Richmond General Manager- Football Talent Blair Hartley said securing Taranto’s signature was exciting news for the Club.

“Tim is a player we admire because of his obvious on-field ability and also his work rate, high standards and leadership traits,” he said.

“At only 24 years of age, Tim has a lot of very good football ahead of him, and we are delighted that he will have the opportunity to do that in Yellow and Black.

“We think Tim will be a very popular player among his new teammates, coaches, staff, and of course, our supporter base.”

Hartley thanked the Giants for their good faith and co-operation in facilitating the trade early in the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period.

Taranto said he was excited about the new opportunity.

"I can't wait to run out in the Yellow and Black next year in front of all the fans," he said.

"Thank you so much to the Richmond Football Club for the opportunity, I am so excited."

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1232474/taranto-becomes-a-tiger

Broadsword

« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2022, 06:14:37 PM »
I'm very happy with the deal considering Pick 19 was a free pick.

I'd have traded CCJ and 1st rounder for Taranto, the fact they are Pick 12 and 19 make it seem less in our favour but we get the player we need. That is the main thing.
x2

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2022, 06:17:21 PM »
“I honestly can’t wait to run out in the Yellow and Black.”

@tim_taranto14’s message for the Tiger Army.

Watch Tim's message here: https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1576806929879343105

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2022, 06:24:55 PM »
“I honestly can’t wait to run out in the Yellow and Black.”

@tim_taranto14’s message for the Tiger Army.

Watch Tim's message here: https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1576806929879343105

It must be like starting your career coming from an expansion club and then coming to a club with 100k members and on the MCG every 2nd week. You'd be absolutely buzzing.
Go Tigers!

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2022, 06:36:26 PM »
Kid is a gun! 12 & 19 is a fair deal. Would have been nice to get their 3rd rounder back but not fussed. Getting a 24 year old star mid who is handy forward, can’t wait to see him play for us.

I’m sure there were some that though giving up pick 6 for a 24 year old Prestia was too much, well Gold Coast used that pick on jack scrimshaw who played 4 games for the suns over 2 years before being traded to the hawks with a 4th rounder for a 3rd rounder in return……

My fav highlight of Taranto will no longer be dusty giving him one of the sweetest dont argues he’s ever dished out lol

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2022, 10:37:43 PM »
happy he is a tiger but would have loved a pick around 40 50 just to stay in the draft.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2022, 02:54:48 AM »
‘Help him win a Brownlow’: Tigers’ dream recruit to assist teammates — and keep flag window open

Catherine Healey
Fox Sports
October 4th, 2022

Richmond have put themselves back in the “premiership window” by luring Giant Tim Taranto to the club, with the midfielder even named a potential future skipper.

The Tigers gave up picks 12 and 19 for Taranto on Monday, after he played 114 games in six seasons at GWS arriving as pick 2 in 2016.

And it’s his arrival that is set to free up Tigers stars Shai Bolton and Dustin Martin, with Fox Footy’s Jon Ralph even claiming Taranto’s influence could allow Martin to win another Brownlow Medal.

“We know what he’s not – he’s not a great kick. Not an elite kick,” Ralph said on Fox Footy’s Trading Day.

“(But) he could be a future captain and he will run all day. He will allow the defensive midfield component that will allow Dusty Martin and Shai Bolton to just go hunting for the football.

“He might not win the best and fairest next year, but he might allow Shai Bolton or Dusty to win another Brownlow.

“He just compliments everything they want to do in the next five or six years.”

Dermott Brereton agreed Taranto wasn’t the most elite kick, but said he was a necessary recruitment as the Tigers battle an ageing midfield.

“It makes sense for the Tigers – the team they want to roll through the midfield. They’ve got your wingers – McIntosh (28) and Pickett (30). Prestia’s 29 with a banged up body on occasion, Dusty’s 31, Cotchin 32. They’ve only got Shai Bolton and Jack Graham at 24 and 25 (next season) so they need this age bracket of Taranto at 24,” he said.

“They are desperate to fill that age bracket in that area.

“He’s your Dion Prestia – a bigger body, not quite as good a kick. But he’s going to be filling that role in seasons to come.”

Fox Footy’s Leigh Montagna described Taranto as a “great get” for Richmond, given he was ranked elite in pressure, contested ball and disposals in 2022.

“It’s probably slightly overs but think it’s fair,” Montagna said.

“(He’s an) All-Australian calibre player at his best.

“I think (Taranto’s arrival) allows Dustin to almost become a permanent forward as he gets older.

“He can almost play inside 50, Shai Bolton now plays that role that’s mixed-forward. I think absolutely they’re in a premiership window again.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/help-him-win-a-brownlow-tigers-dream-recruit-to-assist-teammates-and-keep-flag-window-open/news-story/73146895a38c7feb03a4bfe356f8223f

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2022, 02:31:06 PM »
AFL Trade Period: What does Tim Taranto’s signing mean for Richmond

Callan Cummins
innersanctum.com.au
04/10/2022

Richmond has not waited a day for the AFL Trade Period to finish and they have already landed their big fish. Former Giant Tim Taranto will suit the yellow and black in 2023 after being traded to Richmond for picks 12 and 19 in this year’s national draft.

Taranto is set to be warmly welcomed to his new home as he looks set to slot into the Richmond midfield quite nicely providing them with a much-needed contested ball winning type of player.

Where will Taranto play?

At GWS, Taranto played a prolific role in their midfield, which is the commonly expected role will uptake with the Tigers. He brings a new dynamic to the Richmond engine room, a section of the ground where the Tigers have a notable weakness compared to the rest of the competition.

The GWS recruit will slot nicely into the Richmond midfield, offering a new style of play that will look to bolster the Tigers back into the top four and potentially while their premiership window is still existent but fading, push for one last flag.

Taranto will join Dion Prestia, Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin, and Jack Graham in the Richmond midfield with Hopper also providing the possibility of adding some extended youth depth to the side.

What Taranto offers

There is no doubting that Tim Taranto is a hard-bodied, in-and-under on-baller getting those much-needed contested possessions. Richmond as a team this past season ranked 11th in this stat indicating that Taranto adds great value for the Tigers.

Taranto averaged 9.7 contested possessions in 2022 which ranks him third in the existing Tigers midfield, only behind Dion Prestia and Trent Cotchin.

The 24-year-old also has the ability for drifting forward and impacting the scoreboard when his team needs it most. This past season, the Tigers recruit averaged over 25 disposals this season and kicked on average every two games.

https://www.theinnersanctum.com.au/afl-trade-period-what-does-tim-tarantos-signing-mean-for-richmond/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2022, 02:46:44 PM »
Taranto deal

“We’ve been working through this for a bit of time with Richmond, (picks) 12 and 19, we’re really happy with.

“Let’s be honest, the 19, we’ve seen the value of that over the last couple of years being the first pick in the second round especially with the draft break going from the first round into the following rounds.

“We’re really happy with those two picks and doing it early gives us an opportunity to keep looking at everything else that’s going on and gives the ability to even strengthen your draft decision.”

Source: Giants' General Manager of Footballl, Jason McCartney on SEN.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2022, 02:47:10 PM »
"I think he is a really good player ... why did they let him go?"

Garry Lyon can't believe GWS let Tim Taranto go.

Watch here: https://twitter.com/1116sen/status/1577120067518709760

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2022, 06:38:24 PM »
Barrett claims Taranto has taken less to come to Richmond. About $700k p.a.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/854278/listen-taranto-s-salary-sacrifice-why-harry-s-deal-is-a-risk

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2022, 11:23:48 PM »
Who’s game benefits most from Taranto coming to Tigerland? It really is a huge inclusion even without hopper.

Broadsword

« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2022, 11:30:46 PM »
Who’s game benefits most from Taranto coming to Tigerland? It really is a huge inclusion even without hopper.
Mine. My gameday experience is going to improve no end

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2022, 07:17:37 AM »
Barrett claims Taranto has taken less to come to Richmond. About $700k p.a.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/854278/listen-taranto-s-salary-sacrifice-why-harry-s-deal-is-a-risk

That would be awesome if trueb