Author Topic: Did Cotchin and Riewoldt make the right call to play on? [merged]  (Read 5598 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Did Cotchin make the right call to play on?

Richmond veterans Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt signed one-year deals to have a shot at a fourth flag in 2023. Was it the right call?

Source: HeraldSun.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 12:33:42 AM by one-eyed »

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Did Cotchin and Riewoldt make the right call to play on? (HeraldSun)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 08:04:02 AM »
Time will tell

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 08:13:06 AM »
What’s the criteria for them to not play?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 11:27:56 AM »
I thought Cotchin's year was just as good as any he produced in 2018 thru 2021.
He was sorely needed last year to allow us to win a bit of contested ball and clearances. With Taranto and Hopper and hopefully Dusty over his of field and injury issues it really frees Cotchin up to play whatever role we want for him it also allows us to keep him fresh and healthy thru the year.

Not sure why the question is even being asked he was easily our second best mid last year and based on that his latest block of form he remains in the top 5 mids at the club.

JR well statistically at least he had a very good year. But we all know  the stats don't always tell the truth or the whole story. Reckon thats the case this year. Jack looked horrible for good chunks of the year but despite that still kicked 40 goals.

Pretty simple really for the club, not neccesarily Jack. It was the right call for him to play on. Have to keep saying it until we find at the least one other genuine key forward he is going to keep getting games and will probably be one of the first picked each week.

Strongly believe still it is imperative we play with three talls in the fwd half getting experience into maybe Miller as a fwd/ruck he looks okay at both or yep im gunna say it again continue the experiment with Balta.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2022, 12:56:38 PM »
Time will tell

Exactly. Based on form and team needs they absolutely did but hindsight will be 20:20 as usual

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2022, 06:25:01 PM »
If they use them wisely as mentors  and give them a break / rest  to bring in the kids for experience it will be a good move

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2022, 09:25:33 PM »
Let's revisit end of September 2023
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2022, 10:34:55 PM »
100%

In Riewoldts case it's whether or not the club has done the right thing by not bringing in another key forward in addition to JR going round again. Chimp was a no brainer though
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jack Riewoldt and Trent Cotchin are too old and shouldn’t have gone around again?

Watson: “It’s too early to say. I think it’s overstated. It’s too early to say whether that is the case. Everyone is a watch when you get to a certain stage in this game. What is hard to quantify is having them there as a leader in the dressing room every day and what effect that has and how important that is.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/03/06/overstated-or-understated-analysing-pre-season-afl-storylines-and-headlines/

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Well what would you have thought of Richo and his effect when retiring? IIRC Richo was as plonked on the wing and almost won the Brownlow in his last year…?

Different scenarios I know but maybe they are done and need to step aside.

Anyway they are here this year so let’s see what happens

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
They could be 100% right. What is never said is outside of TL who is a better tall fwd than Jack on the list.
Same goes for Trent. Outside of say 5 mids and we go with as many as 10 on game days who is a better option for the role.

Broadsword

It depends on the understanding all parties reached for them to stick around.

Hopefully it is understood that they aren't walk up starts. 15/22 games from each seems about right.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
CARLTON GREAT QUESTIONS RICHMOND'S DECISION TO CONTINUE PLAYING TIGER ICONS RIEWOLDT AND COTCHIN

By Jack Makeham
SEN
18 March 2023

Carlton great Mark Maclure has questioned Richmond’s decision to play club greats ahead of some of the club’s young prospects in Thursday’s draw with Carlton.

Speaking specifically of veterans Jack Riewoldt and Trent Cotchin, Maclure raised the idea that it might be time for Richmond to tell the pair to step aside after neither had much of an impact in the Round 1 clash.

“I looked at Jack Riewoldt and I looked at Trent Cotchin, are (Richmond) brave enough to tell them something,” he said on SEN's Crunch Time.

“Is there a chance that they’re brave enough to tell them that maybe it’s time.

“They didn’t put the youth in, there was hardly any youth in the Richmond side if you go back and have a look.”

In comparison to the Tigers, Carlton named two debutants in the season opener, with the pair of 2022 draft picks Ollie Hollands and Lachie Cowan making their first appearance at senior level.

“(Carlton) played two brand new kids… that’s brave to do that,” Maclure said.

“Those two kids who come in at 18 years of age and turn up in front of 80,000 people, that’s an experience of a lifetime.”

Despite placing emphasis on youth, Maclure did note that the Blues’ inexperience did cost them in the end, with their close-game difficulties from last season reappearing in the season opener.

“The last four games, that’s showing that (Carlton) don’t finish well,” he said.

Full article here: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/03/18/carlton-great-questions-richmonds-decision-to-continue-playing-tiger-icons/

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
At what point do we start questioning the media for rolling out this bias, pig headed, ass wipe, geriatric  idiot. Absolute flog....

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Does he question Hawkins etc...