Author Topic: List management: Keep, trade or delist?  (Read 37000 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: List management: Keep, trade or delist?
« Reply #135 on: September 21, 2023, 09:03:43 PM »
See how he goes under the new coach but I have my doubts he’d get to 100 considering he needs 22 games to get there.

Forget the new coach

I think there's a more pressing issue he faces before the season starts
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #136 on: September 21, 2023, 09:04:34 PM »
I've been very vocal on the Lynch for pick 4/5 what ever it ends up being.

He's 31 in a few weeks.
He's body isn't reliable.

Dee's just need him to be fit for the 2nd half of the year and they win the flag on my honest opinion.

He is worth more than pick 4 to the Dee's, without question.

We traded our best player in 2016 in Brett Deledio and survived. Won handsomely out of that deal too.

We should have played finals this year in all honesty, and did that without Lynch. Give us replacements for Tarrant, Cotchin and Jack as well as a fit Gibcus. I don't think losing Lynch will turn us into bottom 4 side.

Give us pick 4 and ends up being a Sheezal or Nick Daicos and we win enormously out of the trade. I actually think it's a no brainer.

Go Tigers!

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2023, 01:25:38 AM »
Not a fan of trading out our best players, gotta keep them or we'll put ourselves over the cliff & end up like Norf.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2023, 04:56:09 AM »
We must keep HRS…… to give a target to all posters.  :lol :lol

Online RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2023, 05:36:21 PM »
If pick 5 is on the table and Lynch is amenable I would consider it for sure.

We replace a $1.2mil player with a $105k draftee so can afford to pay some Lynch salary to get #5.

Would hate to see him playing for someone else but we need to look to the future and he's right - can't see us winning a flag for a few years unless we can acquire some good forwards with our empty draft hand and surely the cap is already tight as it is.
Adsolutely NOT true.
We lose Jack and Trent this year - that's over $1 mill at least. (they would be on reduced not insulting money this year, especially Jack)
We lose Dusty, Prestia and Grimes next year - that's $2 mill (even if we keep Dusty you would expect a reduction)
We lose Lynch and a few others the year after - that's about $1.5 mill

As regards the poor draft, I agree, but we may have players to swap like Soldo, Graham, McIntosh.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2023, 06:29:02 PM »

We replace a $1.2mil player with a $105k draftee so can afford to pay some Lynch salary to get #5.

Would hate to see him playing for someone else but we need to look to the future and he's right - can't see us winning a flag for a few years unless we can acquire some good forwards with our empty draft hand and surely the cap is already tight as it is.
Adsolutely NOT true.
We lose Jack and Trent this year - that's over $1 mill at least. (they would be on reduced not insulting money this year, especially Jack)
We lose Dusty, Prestia and Grimes next year - that's $2 mill (even if we keep Dusty you would expect a reduction)

As regards the poor draft, I agree, but we may have players to swap like Soldo, Graham, McIntosh.

Those 3 blokes at the end of your post have virtually no currency.

Also there's surely no way Jack and Cotch were pulling $1mil between them this year.

$600-700k absolute maximum.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2023, 07:33:19 PM »
Can’t wait for Aden to do his thang, very exciting for RFC

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #142 on: September 22, 2023, 08:30:40 PM »

You must have missed it but there is a couple of players who very close to Hugo in the whipping boy stakes

So fair to say Hugo won't be missed

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2023, 09:13:49 PM »

Adsolutely NOT true.

Also there's surely no way Jack and Cotch were pulling $1mil between them this year.

Yep. Pretty sure it was mentioned that Cotch and Jack played for a decreased salary this year so we could fit in both Taranto and Hopper. Our salary cap won't be freed up until the end of next year when Dusty and Lynch's long-term deals come to an end.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2023, 09:17:11 PM »
Don't forget as a couple go out one significant one kicks in and that’s Bolton's

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #145 on: September 22, 2023, 09:22:04 PM »

You must have missed it but there is a couple of players who very close to Hugo in the whipping boy stakes

So fair to say Hugo won't be missed

None in the same ballpark

Online RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #146 on: September 22, 2023, 11:01:12 PM »

Adsolutely NOT true.

Yep. Pretty sure it was mentioned that Cotch and Jack played for a decreased salary this year so we could fit in both Taranto and Hopper. Our salary cap won't be freed up until the end of next year when Dusty and Lynch's long-term deals come to an end.
Considering that the average wage for an AFL player is $400k.
In your opinion Trent and Jack were paid less than the majority of ALL players. $600/2 = $300 each
Trent and Jack would have been paid at least $500K each.
Sure they may well have taken a cut but it was probably only around $300K each.

Lynch is contracted till 2025. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #147 on: September 22, 2023, 11:12:39 PM »

Adsolutely NOT true.

In your opinion Trent and Jack were paid less than the majority of ALL players. $600/2 = $300 each

Thanks for the correction, RT. Yes, by 2025 not 2024.

I did see/read somewhere late last year that Jack and Cotch each were on around the $300-something thousand this year. They were willing to do it in their final year to bring in Taranto and Hopper into our midfield for one last attempt at another flag. Problem was in hindsight everything that worked well in 2022 fell apart this year and it was all a pipedream in the end  :(.     
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #148 on: September 22, 2023, 11:27:16 PM »
Problem with your memory about the $300k is that you probably read it on here, as did I, and that's certainly no claim to truth.
Most supporters have no idea of the value or complexity of AFL contracts.

When they publish the new full CBA for the players I recommend you read it.
I read one a few years ago and the detail and compexity of conditions was mind boggling.

The emergence of social media over the last few years has also added conditions which basically double the detail.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #149 on: September 22, 2023, 11:30:21 PM »

Adsolutely NOT true.

Average is $400k but all draftees are on a smidge over 100k with clauses for bonuses etc.

Most lists have a dozen blokes on minimum coin.

There's no way Jack and Cotch were playing for more than about 350ea they have said it publicly (Jack anyway) they were only in it for one last crack at a flag if Taranto and Hopper could get them there.

So yes I think they were paid below average and happy to do it given they'd been paid upwards of 700-800k for a decade or more.