Author Topic: Adem Yze is our new coach [merged]  (Read 96345 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Re: Adem Yze is our new coach [merged]
« Reply #255 on: July 30, 2023, 09:33:15 PM »
Subbing off Miller was a coach killer and Dimma did the same to early year along with moving Balta out of defence and floodgates opened. Forward line still incompetent.

Have no issue with Miller being subbed out. He was ineffective all day.

Not surprised Balta went forward, had to try something and Noah had been woeful down back all day

Was Miller worse than Grimes? Haven't seen as bad a game from a Richmond player since JON was running around in the yellow & black. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #256 on: July 30, 2023, 09:54:55 PM »

Was Miller worse than Grimes? Haven't seen as bad a game from a Richmond player since JON was running around in the yellow & black. :shh

No he wasn't.  The Captain had a shocker but the Captain was never going to be subbed.

Not saying he shouldn't have been just know that wasn't an option. Don't think there is a coach in the league who would sub out a captain
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #257 on: July 30, 2023, 10:10:58 PM »
Port's captain has been in the SANFL for most of the year. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #258 on: July 30, 2023, 10:18:06 PM »
WP so why didn't we bring in Ryan or Bauer for Miller if we all agree our forward line is incompetent and Miller is in no man's land. Taken off a tall wasn't the answer through.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #259 on: July 30, 2023, 10:19:51 PM »
Port's captain has been in the SANFL for most of the year. :shh

He went out (originally) via injury or concussion. Then he couldn't get back in

He was never subbed out, that was my point
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #260 on: August 02, 2023, 01:27:56 AM »
Caretaker to coach: The Richmond dilemma as McQualter impresses

Peter Ryan
The Age
July 30, 2023

Applications for Richmond’s vacant coaching position closed on Friday.

Caretaker coach Andrew McQualter’s application has been underway since the end of May.

That’s when he coached the Tigers for the first time after triple premiership coach Damien Hardwick’s shock departure following the round-10 loss to Essendon.

The Tigers have won six of their eight matches since and McQualter is in pole position to become their next coach.

Despite his impressive performance – both publicly and privately – McQualter respects the fact he will be treated equally to the other candidates applying for the position.

“This club has been a really strong club for a reason and they’re going to run a thorough process for a reason, which I fully support and encourage,” McQualter said.

Taking over a team just 30 months after their most recent flag, with a stable administration and wise heads in the football department, meant McQualter’s runway has been different to most caretaker coaches.

The 37-year-old with a sharp football brain, sense of humour and empathetic personality quickly realised the club did not need a disruptor. They needed a fresh voice to grease the wheels of a fresh system.

McQualter continues to talk about the collective approach rather than the imprint he is making.

“The coach’s box is doing a good job, solution-based thinking, open conversation,” he said.

McQualter said it’s “not just me making the decisions” and the coaches were taking a “collaborative approach among a group of experienced people”.

His performance has been so impressive that two industry sources with knowledge of the coaching landscape, who wanted to remain anonymous so they could speak freely, said some potential candidates may not apply because they think it’s McQualter’s job to lose.

Most caretaker roles are undertaken amid turmoil, when a coach loses their job after losses and unrelenting pressure that forced clubs to act.

Darren Crocker recalls writing on a whiteboard the list of things that needed to improve at North Melbourne, in a meeting the week after being given the task of guiding the team in 2009, following the resignation of then-coach Dani Laidley. Crocker soon ran out of space.

He realised he was kidding himself to believe he could fix everything in 10 rounds. He circled three ideas: play with more dare, lift training standards, rediscover the enjoyment.

Richmond three-time premiership coach Damien Hardwick has resigned, effective immediately.

The Kangaroos finished the season well with a win over eventual runners-up St Kilda. Crocker understood when they overlooked him for Brad Scott as they needed a fresh direction, but said being the caretaker candidate wasn’t ideal.

“I was having a full dress rehearsal every time I was coaching. You want what is best for the team and to make marginal gains here and there, but you also know that if the team is not showing enough you are never going to be a chance to get the main role,” Crocker said.

Crocker, who now coaches the Kangaroos’ AFLW team, said he admired the approach Scott brought when he won the job, not only relaying how much he valued Crocker’s experience but giving him responsibility that made use of that knowledge.

Paul Roos was one of the few success stories of the 10 caretaker coaches to win the job of the 28 who have taken on the role since 2000. He led the Swans to the 2005 flag three years after being the caretaker at the end of 2002.

“To be honest it’s the easiest period of your coaching career,” Roos said via text from California.

“Thinking medium to long term from a planning point of view is important but difficult as you don’t know if you are keeping the job. [The] main lesson is to take the job for what it is and try to learn and enjoy it.”

He said to make the transition successfully from caretaker to permanent coach it was vital to “know what you want, know how to build it and have people you know and trust [around you]. This is absolutely key. You must have great staff you trust.”

That is an advantage McQualter has as he can grow within a proven football program surrounded by familiar faces who know his strengths and weaknesses.

The Tigers know appointing a caretaker is no longer sexy as the three caretakers appointed in 2019 – Rhyce Shaw, David Teague and Brett Ratten – were all gone by the start of this season.

The processes varied before those jobs were filled, but none were as rigorous as the one Richmond will undertake having spent time formulating the attributes and skills they want in their next senior coach.

That approach puts less weight on the win-loss record of the caretaker, and more emphasis on projecting the club’s future needs when assessing candidates.

To not give McQualter the job may be considered as awkward as passing on a father-son bid in the national draft, however, clubs often overlook internal candidates for such jobs, as Geelong did when they appointed Chris Scott at the end of 2010 ahead of Ken Hinkley and Brenton Sanderson.

McQualter gets that. That’s why he appears as relaxed as one can be going for the top job that Richmond expect to fill by September despite saying his calm demeanour sometimes belies a busy head.

“[The process] will happen and whatever happens will happen,” McQualter said.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/caretaker-to-coach-the-richmond-dilemma-as-mcqualter-impresses-20230727-p5drph.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #261 on: August 02, 2023, 01:14:55 PM »
Josh Carr was asked about the Richmond senior coaching gig when interviewed by Steven Rowe on 5AA today in Adelaide.

------

Rowe again went for a newsline later in the interview, asking Carr if he had been contacted by Richmond to take up its vacant coaching position and whether he was happy at the Power.

“Rowey, you are off again mate,” Carr said amid giggling.

Once Carr hung the phone up at the end of the interview, Rowe was at pains to point out “I love the bloke, love him” and Carr “doesn’t suffer fools or crap from people like me and put me in my place.”

Rowe then said the questions he threw up were smacked “out of the park” by Carr.

Transcript:

SR: Joshy here’s another one, It’s been reported that Richmond have rung you, is that true?

JC: Nah I have had no phone calls Rowey.

SR: OK, you wouldn’t entertain it? You are happy and staying here, that’s it?

JC: Rowey, you are off again mate.

(Laughter)

SR: Joshy, you know me mate.

JC: I think I have said the whole time, I want to be the best coach I can be. That is my number one priority and I want to be a senior coach and all those things and if the time comes and I get those calls and those opportunities I definitely want to do that.

SR: Excellent.

JC: But at this stage, right now I am the assistant coach, midfield coach at Port Adelaide.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/port-adelaide-concussion-controversy-josh-carr-hits-tricky-stephen-rowe-question-out-of-the-park/news-story/36aed2a7b949d2a5d73c7e27921bc9b2

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #262 on: August 02, 2023, 04:00:45 PM »
Really hope its not McQualter no initiative of his own and just doing what Hardwick did.

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #263 on: August 02, 2023, 05:14:21 PM »
Really hope its not McQualter no initiative of his own and just doing what Hardwick did.
Look deeper, I'm not saying mini is the man or not.. but our forward line has improved dramatically under mini. It was absolutely useless under dimma over the past 1 and a half. And he's done it without Lynch!!
So give him a little credit. Midfield has also improved under Mini

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #264 on: August 02, 2023, 05:15:49 PM »
Most importantly, dusty is playing so much better, much more invested and happier since mini took over

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #265 on: August 03, 2023, 09:04:42 AM »
Look deeper, I'm not saying mini is the man or not.. but our forward line has improved dramatically under mini. It was absolutely useless under dimma over the past 1 and a half. And he's done it without Lynch!!
So give him a little credit. Midfield has also improved under Mini

Forward line lol is the most incompetent in the league I see no improvement only positive is Coulthard.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #266 on: August 03, 2023, 09:23:51 AM »

Forward line lol is the most incompetent in the league I see no improvement only positive is Coulthard.

Surely Lynch back would be an improvement.
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #267 on: August 03, 2023, 11:09:55 AM »

Surely Lynch back would be an improvement.

:lol :lol :lol
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #268 on: August 03, 2023, 12:36:38 PM »
Josh Carr was asked about the Richmond senior coaching gig when interviewed by Steven Rowe on 5AA today in Adelaide.
Would have to say Carr has done a great job coching Port.
Look at any Port game and Hinkley is sitting on the bench talking to players. Fine as far as it goes but......
Hinkley doesn't even wear the headphones much so he's not in touch with those in the box making the moves.
That seems to be Carr from all reports and seems a good job over their wins.

If Hinkley, as reported, is locked in for an extension at Port then Carr would seem the best qualified on present evidence.

Edit: Fixed quoting tags
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 12:44:51 PM by one-eyed »

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #269 on: August 03, 2023, 02:53:20 PM »
Would it makes sense Port dropping away the last few weeks if Carr has been invested elsewhere in the Richmond job?