Author Topic: Socceroos / Matildas / World Cup / Asian Cup  (Read 156554 times)

PuntRdRoar

Re: Socceroos / World Cup / Asian Cup
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2006, 07:04:11 PM »
the italians are hard nosed professional pricks and thats why they won. The important thing for Australia now is to get a good coach. For mine big Phil Scholari (Portugals current coach and the man who took them to the final of Euro 2004- where they were humbled by the greeks  ;D is the man Id get to coach us. 

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2006, 12:21:05 PM »
Whilst we were very good defensively, I agree with others here that our strikers lacked imagination and communication. I remember seeing Viduka back heel a ball in the box to nobody. That summed it up for me. If Harry was on, he may have drilled it into the net but who knows. I agree with MT in that we were too slow in attack. The Italians passing game was superb, especially the long accurate passes from the back half straight to their strikers feet was a delight to watch. That's something we need to learn for the future.Also their header control was exceptional. Very rarely did I see an Italian header go to an Aussie. Basically in a nutshell it was the mongel in our defensive line with Neill & Chipperfield that kept us in the game and nothing else.
Early on there was some very impressive quick passing by us but that disappeared and we reverted to chipping it around trying to break the perfectly drilled italian defensive line without success. Grella for mine was terrible and possibly the main reason for our slow advancement. Yes, Kennedy should have started. He always looked more dangerous than Viduka when on the field.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2006, 02:38:02 PM »
A topical clip of the Italians training camp for the World Cup  ;D

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/images/other/worldcup/ItalianTrainingCamp.mpg  [Size: 2.5 Mb]
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2006, 04:07:51 PM »
More footage of the Neill-Grosso incident  ;D

Ox

« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2006, 04:06:30 PM »
Secret Italian training session exposed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccDyp2aRRCg

letsgetiton!

« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2006, 05:07:05 PM »
:'(

Yes it was cruel but we have only ourselves to blame. We dominated once we had the extra man but didn't use it to our advantage and we were too slow passing the ball around and we did stupid long balls that were easily picked off especially by the world class of an Italian defence. It's no different to Aussie Rules. If you move the ball slowly then that allows the opposition to flood back. We missed the class of Kewell. We played dumb in the last 30 minutes and they picked us off in the last minute on the counter. A shame as this side was good enough to get past Switzerland or the Ukraine and at least make a semi final  :'(. A wasted opportunity even if before the tournament we would've been estactic to make it to the round of 16.

As for the penalty - yeah it was 50/50 but the send off was also 50/50.

being an italian-australian this match was weird to watch. it was like watching the possibles v the probables at tigerland.
i have not missed a world cup series since 1982, and can assure you the italians have had a rough deal with refs many times, i know how the socceroos feel after this world cup....but...in this game , the ref was not cruel, and didnt get it wrong. yes the italian exaggerated teh trip, but it was an illegal way of blocking that neill did, he went to the floor and turned his back on the player and did not connect with the ball at all. the fact that he went down and slid so early across him and turned his back was eveidence that his main focus was not on the ball, and that in soccer is a foul. matarazzi was sent of very early in the 2nd half and if u watch the replay he did not even connect with bresciano, bresciano's acting was by far the best act of the game which caused the red card.

now 4the biggest misconception of the game, all journos here are repeatedly saying the aussies were the better team and incontrol of the game, that is rubbish and all propaganda. yes austrlai dominated possession , but thats because italy let them, remember they were one man down for 40 minutes and when italy do this, they flood back , build a wall and are happy to give possession time to their opponents. but even in the second half , italy had more realistic shots on goal, shots on goal and corner kicks!!! so who dominated the game , italy did, australia just dominated possession time. woudl have been nice and a gr8 fairy tale if australian won, but italy just had too much class and experience. cannavaro killed veduka , was veduka actually there.  this game could have been very ugly , being realistic, and if the italians radar was a bit better and if shwartzer wasnt so switched on, it coudl have easily been a 5-0 game.

the thumb sucking business that totti did was directed at guus the bs coach who was outcoached and outsmarted by lippi. guus 4 yrs ago when coaching sth korea, called the italians babies after they appealed the loss to sth korea in penalty shoot out. the italians kicked 2 goals that game , both legit, but both called offside, not by the linesman, but by the central ref, replays showed the goals were good and the ref was wrong. after the game abd protest hiddiink called teh italians sooks, i guess totti had a good memory.

i dont like  hiddink, he is a bs mercinary, does not give a poo about teh team, just the contract

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2006, 02:11:33 AM »
being an italian-australian this match was weird to watch. it was like watching the possibles v the probables at tigerland.
i have not missed a world cup series since 1982, and can assure you the italians have had a rough deal with refs many times, i know how the socceroos feel after this world cup....but...in this game , the ref was not cruel, and didnt get it wrong. yes the italian exaggerated teh trip, but it was an illegal way of blocking that neill did, he went to the floor and turned his back on the player and did not connect with the ball at all. the fact that he went down and slid so early across him and turned his back was eveidence that his main focus was not on the ball, and that in soccer is a foul. matarazzi was sent of very early in the 2nd half and if u watch the replay he did not even connect with bresciano, bresciano's acting was by far the best act of the game which caused the red card.

It wasn't worth a red card but Bresciano was clearly checked. Materazzi stepped across Bresciano's path with no intention of going for the ball. Clear professional foul but it should have only been a yellow. Neill slid to block a shot at the near post. Grosso cleverly held off on the shot then once he saw Neill committed he pushed the ball pass and with Neill stranded on the ground Grosso fell over him. Neill didn't initiate the contact. I've seen them given and not given so I'm not complaining about the penalty. The Socceroos lost the game in the last 20 minutes with their lack of speed and creativity in attack.

now 4the biggest misconception of the game, all journos here are repeatedly saying the aussies were the better team and incontrol of the game, that is rubbish and all propaganda. yes austrlai dominated possession , but thats because italy let them, remember they were one man down for 40 minutes and when italy do this, they flood back , build a wall and are happy to give possession time to their opponents. but even in the second half , italy had more realistic shots on goal, shots on goal and corner kicks!!! so who dominated the game , italy did, australia just dominated possession time. woudl have been nice and a gr8 fairy tale if australian won, but italy just had too much class and experience. cannavaro killed veduka , was veduka actually there.  this game could have been very ugly , being realistic, and if the italians radar was a bit better and if shwartzer wasnt so switched on, it coudl have easily been a 5-0 game.

But the Italians did miss shots despite dominating the first half. Toni should have had 2 goals but headed badly wide with the first and then hit the second good chance at Schwarzer. No excuses for failing to score just like missing set shots in Aussie rules. Sure the Socceroos could have been 2-0 down at half-time but if Chipperfield had aimed his clear shot either side of Buffon the Socceroos could have punished Italy to be 1-0 up. In the second half once Materazzi was sent off it was all Australia. The game was played mostly in the Italian half but the Socceroos lacked creativity and supporting runs. That's why Viduka was well beaten. He was contiually isolated by lack of midfield runs from behind. We didn't move the ball around at pace to put pressure on the Italian defence. Often we played lazy long high balls instead of getting the ball wide quickly and behind the Italian defence. When we did get a corner they were poorly executed. The Socceroos also stupidly didn't care if the game went into extra time given the lack of substitutions. It backfired. The Socceroos beat themselves. 

the thumb sucking business that totti did was directed at guus the bs coach who was outcoached and outsmarted by lippi. guus 4 yrs ago when coaching sth korea, called the italians babies after they appealed the loss to sth korea in penalty shoot out. the italians kicked 2 goals that game , both legit, but both called offside, not by the linesman, but by the central ref, replays showed the goals were good and the ref was wrong. after the game abd protest hiddiink called teh italians sooks, i guess totti had a good memory.

I remember that game and yep the Italians got robbed big time. Soccer needs to come into the 21st century as far as crucial referee decisions. There should be some means to go to a video ref for 50/50 decisions like they do in Rugby League. This world cup has been a farce with the shocking refereeing. Brazil was allowed a momentum changing goal against Ghana when Andriano was clearly offside.

i dont like  hiddink, he is a bs mercinary, does not give a pooh about teh team, just the contract

IMHO Guus likes the challenge of taking on countries that had failed to reach their full potential - South Korea, Socceroos and now Russia - and getting the most out of the squad. Sure it's good for his hip pocket and CV but if he didn't produce he wouldn't keep getting chased after. I'm sure his native Holland would have gone further with Guus in charge. He's a very good organiser of a team. Lippi isn't one for loyalty either. Sheesh he's coached nearly every big club in Italy. It's a coaching merry-go-round over there lol. I wonder how many referee phone numbers he has in his little black book. Seems a prerequisite for top Italian clubs in Serie A now lol  ;).   

If I were in charge of the FFA I would agree with Ramps and chase after Scholari.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2006, 06:19:50 AM »
not wrong about the italians coaches, and really who would want t o coach the italians! lippi and past coaches just never sleep serene! the stress that goes with teh job is crazy and teh expectations enough to drive you you mad and fear 4 ur life!
i am really proud of how australia went , in 4 yrs , we will be stronger, but 4 me, even being an italian. afl comes first! AFL is everything! afl is teh beautiful game!  there will be around 80k ppl at the g on sunday, 2 of teh most loyal cray perochial teams in australia!  win lose or draw, one thing is guaranteed, their will be no riots after the game, no carnage, no flairs no bs! and fans from opposing teams can sit next to each other and watch the game! can and does this happen in soccer? no! so as i said , afl is the beautiful game!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2006, 04:17:38 PM »
not wrong about the italians coaches, and really who would want t o coach the italians! lippi and past coaches just never sleep serene! the stress that goes with teh job is crazy and teh expectations enough to drive you you mad and fear 4 ur life!
i am really proud of how australia went , in 4 yrs , we will be stronger, but 4 me, even being an italian. afl comes first! AFL is everything! afl is teh beautiful game!  there will be around 80k ppl at the g on sunday, 2 of teh most loyal cray perochial teams in australia!  win lose or draw, one thing is guaranteed, their will be no riots after the game, no carnage, no flairs no bs! and fans from opposing teams can sit next to each other and watch the game! can and does this happen in soccer? no! so as i said , afl is the beautiful game!

:thumbsup

Pie supporters are too scared of the Grog squad behind the Punt Road goals to start anything  :rollin.

About 4 years ago I was at the Rd 1 Richmond-Collingwood match and the guy sitting next to me had brought 3 of his visiting English mates to see Aussies Rules for the first time. They just couldn't believe supporters just sat anywhere and intermingled. They had no idea what was going on lol but they really enjoyed the banter between opposing supporters at close range which they never get at home. They also couldn't believe how cheap going to the footy was either. The EPL does have twice as many home games compared to the AFL but at that time the cheapest season ticket to watch Arsenal at Highbury was around 700 pounds or A$2000  :o

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2006, 03:50:03 AM »
Argentina out on penalties!

Or as the Goodies say - Don't cry for me Marge and Tina  ;D.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2006, 10:29:28 PM »
Argentina out on penalties!

Or as the Goodies say - Don't cry for me Marge and Tina  ;D.

and italy are through!!! goodbye germany!!! they have never beaten the italians!!! lets hope france can beat brazil !!!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2006, 12:25:33 AM »
and italy are through!!! goodbye germany!!! they have never beaten the italians!!! lets hope france can beat brazil !!!

Italy hitting form at the right time although the Socceroos would have got past Ukraine. A missed opportunity to make the semi-finals for the Aussies. Toni had his radar on last night X ;).

Deutschland were my tip at the start of the WC and I still think they will win it because of home ground advantage. The Germans are hard to beat at home.  I have a soft spot for Italy for family reasons so wouldn't mind seeing them win it though. I hope Portugal gets through on the side of the draw because they have never won the WC.   

letsgetiton!

« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2006, 04:10:24 PM »

Italy hitting form at the right time although the Socceroos would have got past Ukraine. A missed opportunity to make the semi-finals for the Aussies. Toni had his radar on last night X ;).

Deutschland were my tip at the start of the WC and I still think they will win it because of home ground advantage. The Germans are hard to beat at home.  I have a soft spot for Italy for family reasons so wouldn't mind seeing them win it though. I hope Portugal gets through on the side of the draw because they have never won the WC.   

my tip at the start was a portigal italy final with portugal winning on penalty shoot out because thats teh only way the italians usually lose big games!
italy have not lost a game in normal time in the world cup for as long as i remember, its always penalty shoot outs.

germany dont play fair, they have two polaks winning 4 them

letsgetiton!

« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2006, 01:31:36 PM »
FORZA ITALIA!!!!
FORZA AZZURI!!!

ITALIA ITALIA ITALIA

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2006, 04:37:10 PM »
LOL. They're going to win the bloody thing now X.