Author Topic: Best 23 in 2024?  (Read 12391 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Best 23 in 2024?
« on: October 01, 2023, 03:23:14 PM »
What do think our best 23 will look like next year?

Offline FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Best 23 in 2024?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 06:55:18 PM »
Ask me after trade week and the draft.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2023, 08:51:47 PM »
Geez the dust has not even settled on the season and here we are.

As it stands i dont think it is just about best 23 next year. Its going to be just as much about playing kids with high potential in their best roles.
If Judson Clarke is a better fwd option than say Jack Graham and Graham is not in our best half dozen mids then don't play him.
Its going to be about finding ways to get games into kids we are sure are going to be the future. WE must stop playing senior players in the kids  roles just because of their past deeds.

I also think we really need to look at players who have pace and good skills to go with it.

Any way i am a sucker for these type of  threads so here goes.

FB: Vlastuin 187/87 - Balta 194/100 - Bauer 192/86..
HB: Brown ??/?? - Gibcus 197/?? - Broad/Smith/Trezise/Rioli.

Bauer to me seems an obvious type to replace Grimes. tall agile and strong in the air he has shown more than enough to be tried in Grimes place. This despite our lack of tall forwards
Brown has to be played and developed. The 4 named on the other flank would all make great options. Would stick with Broad because with out him or Rioli the back half would lack too much experience. That means  Rioli up to a wing solving one of our wing problems and would then let Banks Smith and Trezise fight for the other wing. Atm Banks has his nose in front but if Smith can get fit i think he will surprise a few. Pace and disposal the key with him..

C: Rioli 179/?? - Taranto 187/87 - Banks 187/??
R: Nankervis 199/102 - Martin 187/90 - Bolton 175/77

Pace good users of the ball and plenty of inside grunt. It leaves us with very good rotations waiting on the bench.

HF: Clarke 179/74 - Koschitzke 196/94 - Coulthard 176/76
FF: Ryan  206/?? - Lynch 199/99 - Campbell 182/??

Ryan aside who is primarily a ruckman who we need to get games into and shown he can pinch hit fwd, they all are actual fwds.
Clarke and Coulthard playing high bring pace and skills and Campbell who is also quick  imo can rotate thru the midfield. Clearly we need the two big kpp's in Lynch and Kosi for structure.

INT: Hopper 187/86 - Prestia 175/82 - Baker 173/72 - Sonsie 181/??.

23rd from: Short - Ross - Smith - Trezise.

Nine players who played more than 10 games this year who imo we should be looking to replace in the team unless they lift.

McIntosh 30, Pickett 32, Grimes 32, Graham 26, Young 25, Miller 24, Mansell 23, Ralphsmith 22, MRJ 21.

Brown, Smith, Trezise, Banks, Gibcus, Bauer, Clarke, Coulthard, Koschitzke Campbell and Sonsie need to be looked at in their places.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 02:19:34 PM »
According to the HeraldSun:

Richmond round 1 best 23

B:   D.Rioli       Balta       Grimes

HB:  Short       Broad      Vlastuin

C:    Ross       Taranto     McIntosh

HF: Bolton    Koschitzke     Baker

F:   Martin        Lynch        Pickett

R: Nankervis    Hopper      Prestia

I/C:  Young    Dow    Graham     Bauer      Ryan

INJURED
Gibcus (hamstring, should be fit for round 1)

DEPTH
Tresize, M.Rioli, Gibcus, Banks, Mansell

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/afl-2024-predicted-round-1-best-teams-for-every-club/news-story/57f8f476e3fde6dc82cac08a48ec8068

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 04:25:17 PM »
I'd be wanted Graham and Pickett out of that team. Maybe kmac too.

Banks, Brown and Gibcus in if fit.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2023, 04:28:41 PM »

I want those 3 in too, just not sure how broad, brown and gibcus all exist in the backline. Would be okay if grimes retired maybe.
Talk of gibcus going back allows balta forward but having only one tire kpd in young makes me nervous… I suppose Melbourne did it with lever and may, would be like young and gibcus for us… Kmart version

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2023, 07:21:36 PM »
I wonder if the new coach will do something stupid and try to style the team after his personal whims. Usually new coaches are pretty stupid and they start picking their own favourites. It will  be interesting to see if Yze is stupid.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2023, 10:35:43 AM »

Richmond round 1 best 23

INJURED

DEPTH

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/afl-2024-predicted-round-1-best-teams-for-every-club/news-story/57f8f476e3fde6dc82cac08a48ec8068

Slowest midfield in history unfortunately.  Including the wingers. 

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2023, 12:43:42 PM »
Taranto is fast though!

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2023, 02:59:33 PM »

Richmond round 1 best 23

B:   D.Rioli       Balta       Grimes.  Bauer for Grimes Rioli to wing and Gibcus comes in as a kpd.

HB:  Short       Broad      Vlastuin. Short to 23rd man and Brown gets that flank

C:    Ross       Taranto     McIntosh. Ross out and Rioli gets his wing. McIntosh out Banks gets McIntosh,s wing

HF: Bolton    Koschitzke     Baker. Bolton starts  onball Clarke gets that flank, Baker to bench and Campbell gets that flank.

F:   Martin        Lynch        Pickett. Dusty to start on ball coulthard gets the pocket, Pick is out and Ryan plays third tall second ruck.

R: Nankervis    Hopper      Prestia. Hopper and Prestia start on the bench while dusty and Bolton start here.

I/C:  Young    Dow    Graham     Bauer      Ryan.  Interchange becomes Hopper, Prestia, Baker Sonsie and Short.

INJURED

DEPTH

That should fix it. Outside of the 23 with the changes depth in each area is very shallow.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2023, 05:26:22 PM »

Richmond round 1 best 23

INJURED

DEPTH

Slowest midfield in history unfortunately.  Including the wingers.

when every team has a need for speed we keep getting slower and slower.

No matter how much spin anyone puts on it, this is a very average team that will once again push for 8-18th spot. That is all we can hope for. No mans land.

kmac and graham in the same side again.  :lol They are both cooked.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline skiddymcghee

• Future Richmond star
  • "Be the Ball
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2023, 05:52:30 PM »
Thank you...

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2023, 08:46:11 AM »

Agree.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2023, 06:03:04 PM »
Every AFL club’s best 23 for ‘24

Ben Cotton, Catherine Healey and Jono Baruch
Fox Sports
October 23rd, 2023 5:03 pm

RICHMOND

B: Noah Balta, Dylan Grimes, Nick Vlastuin

HB: Jayden Short, Nathan Broad, Daniel Rioli

C: Kamdyn McIntosh, Dion Prestia, Jack Ross

HF: Liam Baker, Jacob Koschitzke, Dustin Martin

F: Jack Graham, Tom Lynch*, Shai Bolton

FOLL: Toby Nankervis, Tim Taranto, Jacob Hopper

I/C: Josh Gibcus*, Marlion Pickett, Maurice Rioli Jnr, Sam Banks, Jacob Bauer (sub)

(Italics = new player, * = injured/facing suspension but in best 23 when fit)

Key off-season ins: Jacob Koschitzke

Key off-season outs: Trent Cotchin, Jack Riewoldt, Ivan Soldo, Jason Castagna, Robbie Tarrant

WE SAY: While the Tigers had a quiet trade period, with Jacob Koschitzke the only addition, their full-strength still arguably looks as potent as any.

Tom Lynch’s return will clearly provide a huge boost after his 2023 was ruined by injury, though the status of both he and Josh Gibcus remains up in the air.

There’s valid uncertainty around where the rest of their goals will come from, but between Koschitzke, Dustin Martin, Shai Bolton and Maurice Rioli Jnr, there’s still a strong enough overall mix.

If Gibcus is back the Tigers will have quite a few defensive options though the reputations may outstretch the performance based on 2023’s numbers.

Adem Yze might be tempted to swing either Gibcus or Noah Balta forward.

How the new Tigers coach puts his own print on this team will be fascinating as one of the big wildcards of next year.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2023-best-23s-after-trade-period-ins-and-outs-recruits-signings-injuries-who-will-play-round-1-analysis/news-story/807b20dc10e4067abeef6d7a6301e9c6

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2023, 10:23:36 AM »

I want those 3 in too, just not sure how broad, brown and gibcus all exist in the backline. Would be okay if grimes retired maybe.
Talk of gibcus going back allows balta forward but having only one tire kpd in young makes me nervous… I suppose Melbourne did it with lever and may, would be like young and gibcus for us… Kmart version

In what world is Gibcus not KPD size. The lad is 197cm and while he has been off his legs all year you would hope he at least has put on size and strength into his upper body. He only needs to get to 97 kg and he started at 87kg in his draft year. Its not year one its now year three. Gibcus and Brown are the way fwd and we need to be replacing others in the backline with them.

He Gibcus and Balta are so far in front of Young on potential it would be madness not to play them both in front of the battler.
Fine if Balta goes fwd then Young plays kpd.
The player we desperately need to replace is Grimes if last year is anything to go by and his age  ITS CALLED SUCCESSION PLANNING. and it smacks you in the face the logical choice is Bauer.

Just play Brown across hb at the end of the day he is a running player. Banks continues in his role on a wing and we get Rioli on the other one. There is nothing but wins in all of this  we get plodders like Ross and McIntosh off the wings and 32 year old pickett is out.

In comes quick speedy players who have good delivery going into the fwd half. Its what is lacking.

Really think Broad plays more like  a medium despite being 192cm. The rebound he provides is greatly underestimated around here.
His ability to play a bit taller and on smaller opponents while providing run is what makes him so valuable.
He is such a good mover we should also consider playing him on a wing instead of the  battlers like McIntosh.

I hear the nay saying but Brown well weather we want to believe it or not he is primarily a running defender think Smith at Geelong and Birchall Hawthorn.

Balta who has good height hes taller than May, is a big big unit at 194cm and 100kg. Gibcus at 197cm and getting to 97kg is a kp player. The two together have huge potential we as a club just need to make sure that potential comes to the fore.

The way fwd imo.

B; Vlastuin  - Balta/Young - Bauer/Grimes.  Balta instead of young Bauer instead of Grimes

HB Brown - Gibcus - Broad. Our gun young kpd gibcus into the team and Brown our pick 17 who is ready to plays.

C: Rioli - Taranto - Banks. We get Rioli into the midfield and we continue to get games into Banks.

Getting younger players into the team in their right roles is actually an easy exercise. What seems to be hard for people is replacing old over the hill favorites with a handful of kids.