Author Topic: Matty White [merged]  (Read 75402 times)

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Matty White [merged]
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2008, 09:14:58 AM »
Matty is coming along nicely, he needs to be let loose so he can continue his development as a player.

Could turn into another Foley the way he is going.

Good work Whitey.

Someone with his leg speed is very handy.

While he is doing well, no he will never be another Foley.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2008, 01:48:07 PM »
Matty is coming along nicely, he needs to be let loose so he can continue his development as a player.

Could turn into another Foley the way he is going.

Good work Whitey.

Someone with his leg speed is very handy.

While he is doing well, no he will never be another Foley.
Whitey's doesn't have the inside game Foley does but outside they are very similar. Both are burst players who can use their pace to breakaway from stoppages and break the lines. They are both also goalkicking mids on their day which is something we've lacked for a long time in the past.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2008, 07:54:57 PM »
IMHO one of Matty White's great strengths is the defensive side to his game. Will bust a gut to chase down an opponent.

Just needed an opportunity to play over a number of weeks , rather than AFL one week VFL the next.

With all the kids I just think you have to give them a at least 3-4 games in row to allow them to settle

Matty has benefited from that approach and we are seeing the rewards :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2008, 01:10:46 PM »
IMHO one of Matty White's great strengths is the defensive side to his game. Will bust a gut to chase down an opponent.
You're not Plough's ghostwriter on EOTT are you WP?  ;D

Massive praise for Whitey by Plough.

His ability to run, chase and pressurise the opposition, regularly creates goal opportunities for our team. He has a big motor, is very quick, and now has the strength to hold his tackles, or bust out of tight situations. If he continues to work hard on all aspects of his game, he can be a quality player for the Club for many many years.

http://210.50.4.102/rfc/

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2008, 01:16:09 PM »
You're not Plough's ghostwriter on EOTT are you WP?  ;D

Massive praise for Whitey by Plough.

:nope :nope :nope

:eyebrow
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2008, 05:14:43 PM »
Whitey's been our bolter so far this year IMO. Last year he was stagnating running around at Coburg and now he's just hit 21 something's click. Hopefully there's still further improvement left as he matures like Axel has.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2008, 06:06:43 PM »
Plough loves Matty White:
Snippet from EOTT

"Each week he shows us a little bit more of what he’s going to provide us with over the next decade ..... ‘Whitey’ has the ability to burn off his opponents and run all day, which makes him a really valuable member of our team. Because of his endurance, he also has the ability to stop his opponents getting easy kicks ..... So, he became both an offensive and defensive weapon for the team, and an extremely valuable player."

http://210.50.4.102/rfc/

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2008, 08:06:05 PM »
Plough loves Matty White:

Oh no, not an Eddie and Nathan "love affair" at Tigerland. :rollin

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2008, 04:07:51 AM »
After a few quiet weeks, good to see Matty find some form again.

How did we all rate his game yesterday?

Offline moose

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2008, 07:35:00 AM »
still needs to do alot more to get rated. he took some nice marks, and yes he has pace, but his disposal still lets him down . needs to string more than one good hame to get rated. jury still out, but things look more posiitive for him than a few weeks ago

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2008, 07:41:13 AM »

He is only 22 and has the drive and passion to work on any deficiencies.

Will be a long term player for us.

:cheers

Offline moose

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2008, 07:53:03 AM »
hope so but he will have pressure for a spot coming from meyer, polo, and guys like raines, casserly and collins if they get their bodies right

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2008, 07:58:02 AM »
I reckon he will always have to compete for a spot (read - won't always be first picked) but he has shown good improvement this year to suggest he will keep his spot.  Every good side has a number of his type that keep the pressure on for spots and create the depth that is essential.  I have no problem with him at all.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2008, 04:26:27 PM »
More of the White stuff
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
Sun 24 August, 2008

NOT PRETTY, but effective.

Richmond's seven-point win over Fremantle at the MCG on Saturday afternoon has kept them in the hunt for the finals, but for most of the day, the Tigers looked anything but the side that so comprehensively beat second-placed Hawthorn last week.

Last week it was the Tigers methodically picking their way through the Hawks' highly-effective rolling zone, this week they employed a Geelong-style play on at all costs.

Quicksilver Tigers midfielder Matt White said the Tigers had probably overdone the need for speed.

"It was a little scrappy – I think we rushed a little bit today," he told richmondfc.com.au after the match.

"We thought if we got it moving with run-and-carry we could burn them off, but we just kept turning the ball over, and they kept converting that into goals.

"Once we got a bit more control back into our game, we finally got back into it, and it just kept going from there, as everyone saw."

The 21-year-old said Fremantle – who have lost an amazing eight matches by single-figure scores this season – was always going to be a dangerous side to combat.

"Fremantle are playing for pride now, and to their credit, they were playing some pretty good footy, and going from what we did last week – where we had really set structures – we sort-of mixed it up a little bit this weekend.

"Instead of playing that keepings-off sort of game, and working it forward, we tried to run-and-carry it - fast play and we turned it over through the midfield, which they turned into goals.

"We were trying to move it quickly and get it inside 50 because we thought we could beat them in there with some talls, and the smalls running around.

"But it just didn't seem to work."

The Tigers finally settle down after the three-quarter-time break, and booted four consecutive goals to go to a match-high 20-point lead. Fremantle got a couple late, but the Tigers hung tough and grabbed the points.

"It really started us off well – to get goals in that time, in that first five or ten minutes, to put a bit of a lead on – just gives us control of the game a little bit more.

"We didn't have to panic about keeping hold of it and really trying to work it back off them, we could save the game and still go about our business of going inside 50 and kicking goals."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=66177

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2008, 04:57:39 PM »
What was pleasing to me was seeing Whitey more defensive efforts from him yesterday. Some crucial spoils and tackles running from behind.