Author Topic: Official 2007 Fixture  (Read 6914 times)

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Official 2007 Fixture
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 04:45:10 PM »
This Twilight concept might work - but not on a Sunday FFS!  :banghead

On a sunday arvo I'm usually hungover and tired and I'd imagine those with families would rather stay in.

I reckon it could possibly work if you played them on a saturday at 4.10 pm, following a 1.10 day game. That way those who want to do something else on their saturday evening can still make it out after and it gives the networks three time slots in the eastern states 1.10 pm (Day) 4.10 pm (Twilight) 7.10 pm (Night).

As far as the teams go, i don't mind going to Sydney and West Coast, we need to learn how to win interstate. The AFL just cannot bring themselves to give us 2 games against each of Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon can they?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 04:50:04 PM »
This Twilight concept might work - but not on a Sunday FFS!  :banghead

On a sunday arvo I'm usually hungover and tired and I'd imagine those with families would rather stay in.

I reckon it could possibly work if you played them on a saturday at 4.10 pm, following a 1.10 day game. That way those who want to do something else on their saturday evening can still make it out after and it gives the networks three time slots in the eastern states 1.10 pm (Day) 4.10 pm (Twilight) 7.10 pm (Night).

Jake - you should be ashamed you've put far too much thought into that response - you'd never get a job at the AFL :rollin :rollin :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 05:05:18 PM »
Gotta love the AFL's view on things ::)

==========

AFL round 1 clash for top two
October 25, 2006 12:00am
GRAND finalists Sydney Swans and West Coast Eagles will meet in Round 1 of the 2007 AFL competition.
They will meet at Sydney's Telstra Stadium on a Saturday night, the first time since 1990 that the two top teams of the previous season have met in the opening round.
Other notable facets of the 2007 draw, which was released today, include:
SUNDAY twilight games every weekend
THE Kangaroos will play their three home games at Carrara on the Gold Coast in Rounds four, eight and 12, with the first of those to be against the Brisbane Lions.  The Roos will also open the NAB Cup at Carrara, against Collingwood, on Friday February 23.

COLLINGWOOD and Essendon will each have only a four-day break ahead of their Anzac Day clash at the MCG, which falls on a Wednesday in 2007.

HAWTHORN will play four home games in Launceston, up from three this season.

EACH club will travel interstate at least four times.

NO CLUB will be required to make consecutive interstate trips when one of those is a trip to Perth.
There has also been a change from the previous practice of having the teams which meet in the first seven rounds playing each other twice over the course of the season.

In past seasons, that has meant that Melbourne and Collingwood, which traditionally meet on the Queen's Birthday weekend, and Sydney and Collingwood, who clash during the mid-season split round, could play each other only once.

But in 2007 those match-ups will each occur twice.

AFL chief operating officer Ben Buckley, who released the schedule as well as the NAB Cup pre-season competition today, said that while the Seven and Ten networks are still negotiating with Foxtel to on-sell four games a weekend, he didn't expect any changes would be needed.

"We did the final construction of the fixture on the basis that there might be a number of different outcomes in relation to the television broadcast schedules,'' Buckley said.

"We think the fixture will be able to accommodate a number of different scenarios, ranging from Seven and Ten broadcasting all eight games to incorporating a sub-licence agreement with the pay television operator.

"We release the fixture every year subject to change, so this won't be anything new, but at this stage we don't think there will be any material changes to the fixture if certain outcomes from a broadcasting perspective ultimately occur.''

Buckley said it was anticipated the fixturing of games would lead to an overall attendance record in 2007.

"We think this is a fixture that will excite supporters and encourage them to attend games and to sign up as members,'' he said.

- AAP

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20642611-11088,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2006, 05:14:08 PM »
Tiger supporters are going ape on SEN about the draw  :thumbsup.

One saying it just the Club two memberships because he can't take him and his son to Sunday evening footy.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 05:20:38 PM »
One saying it just the Club two memberships because he can't take him and his son to Sunday evening footy.

nah  that can't be right because Ben Buckley said....

"We think this is a fixture that will excite supporters and encourage them to attend games and to sign up as members,'' he said.

from: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20642611-11088,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2006, 05:29:57 PM »
Ramps analysis of the draw financial wise and result wise

1 Sunday, Apr 01 (Sun Twilight) Carlton MCG Away 5:10 pm- WIN    Carlton gate- No Return for us
2 Saturday, Apr 07 (Day) Sydney MCG Home 2:10 pm- LOSS Richmond gate 40,000 people- Small Profit
3 Friday, Apr 13 (Thu/Fri Night) Collingwood MCG Away 7:40 pm- WIN Collingwood gate- No Return for us
4 Friday, Apr 20 (Thu/Fri Night) Western Bulldogs MCG Home 7:40 pm- LOSS 45,000 people- Small Profit
5 Saturday, Apr 28 (Day) West Coast MCG Home 2:10 pm- LOSS 35,000 people- Breakeven- Small Profit at Best
6 Sunday, May 06 (Sun Twilight) Geelong Telstra Dome Home 5:10 pm- WIN 38,000 people-Small Profit
7 Saturday, May 12 (Day) Port Adelaide AAMI Stadium Away 2:40 pm- LOSS No Return for us
8 Friday, May 18 (Thu/Fri Night) Adelaide AAMI Stadium Away 7:10 pm- LOSS No Return for us
9 Saturday, May 26 (Night) Essendon MCG Home 7:10 pm- WIN- 55,000 people- 1st Good Gate- Decent Profit
10 Saturday, Jun 02 (Night) Brisbane Lions Telstra Dome Home 7:10 pm- WIN- 30,000 people- Breakeven-Small Profit
11 Sunday, Jun 10 (Day) Fremantle Subiaco Away 2:40 pm- LOSS- No Return for us
12 Friday, Jun 22 (Thu/Fri Night) Melbourne MCG Home 7:40 pm- LOSS 55,000 people- 2nd Good Gate- Decent Profit
13 Saturday, Jun 30 (Night) St. Kilda Telstra Dome Away 7:10 pm- LOSS-  No Return for us
14 Sunday, Jul 08 (Sun Twilight) Kangaroos Telstra Dome Home 5:10 pm- WIN- 30,000 people- breakeven
15 Sunday, Jul 15 (Day) Hawthorn MCG Away 2:10 pm- WIN- No return for us
16 Sunday, Jul 22 (Day) Port Adelaide MCG Home 2:10 pm- WIN- 35,000 people- small profit
17 Saturday, Jul 28 (Night) Sydney SCG Away 7:10 pm- LOSS- No return for us
18 Saturday, Aug 04 (Day) Geelong Skilled Stadium Away 2:10 pm- LOSS- No return for us
19 Friday, Aug 10 (Thu/Fri Night) Collingwood MCG Home 7:40 pm- WIN- 65,000 people- 3rd good gate-Decent Profit
20 Saturday, Aug 18 (Night) West Coast Subiaco Away 5:40 pm- LOSS- No return
21 Sunday, Aug 26 (Sun Twilight) Essendon MCG Away 5:10 pm- WIN- No return
22 Saturday, Sep 01 (Day) St. Kilda MCG Home 2:10 pm- LOSS- 55,000 people- 4th Good gate- Decent Profit

10 WINS
4 GOOD GATES

* Please note I understand that we do gate share with Essendon.

Agree Ramps. Financially the draw sux.

Early rounds are hard to predict and there's usually heaps of upsets. Sydney are slow starters so getting them at home in round 2 is a good thing. We won at Port and Geelong this year so if we're good enough we shouldn't be afraid of either. On the other hand we haven't beaten the Roos at the Dome for years and the Hawks match could go either way. It's these games that will make or break our finals chances IMO.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 05:37:30 PM »

nah  that can't be right because Ben Buckley said....

from: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20642611-11088,00.html

They left out ".. unless it's Richmond". Best Friday night tv ratings and second biggest crowds and we get treated like an all-so-ran. I agree with the SEN caller that said March and Wright need to come out and say the RFC won't cop this crap.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 05:40:26 PM »
I have to say I'm disappointed and a bit surprised that there isn't a comment on the RFC web-site about how the Club feels about the draw

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 05:56:49 PM »
I have to say I'm disappointed and a bit surprised that there isn't a comment on the RFC web-site about how the Club feels about the draw

They're still picking themselves up off the floor in shock ;).

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2006, 06:03:33 PM »
I am very interested to hear what they say >:(

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 08:27:34 PM »
The club's response according to SEN News:

"It's only a marginally better draw than this year's"

???

Bulluss

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 08:37:56 PM »
The only concern that i have with the twilight games is:

Do they serve Mid or Full strength beer? :D

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 08:54:06 PM »
All I've got to say is Collingwood you luck S.O.Bs

Only 4 interstate trips  :gobdrop  :gobdrop  :gobdrop

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2006, 09:18:18 PM »
Tiger supporters are going ape on SEN about the draw :thumbsup.

Meanwhile, over on 3AW they went on about how the AFL had 15 happy clubs and only 1 unhappy one.  Coincidentally, they had someone from the AFL come in and sing the praises of the draw.

Why 3AW insist on having an AFL employee go in and ‘answer’ questions (as if) about anything is beyond me.  Maybe it’s just me, but most of the time I have to switch off, because my blood starts to boil, as what they say just sounds like propaganda.

Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2006, 09:45:57 PM »
The club has produced an official media statement but there's nothing on the official website  :whistle.

Meanwhile, over on 3AW they went on about how the AFL had 15 happy clubs and only 1 unhappy one.  Coincidentally, they had someone from the AFL come in and sing the praises of the draw.

Why 3AW insist on having an AFL employee go in and ‘answer’ questions (as if) about anything is beyond me.  Maybe it’s just me, but most of the time I have to switch off, because my blood starts to boil, as what they say just sounds like propaganda.

Did they have the former Iraqi minister for (mis)information on TS?! He'd fit right in at AFL House  ::)