Author Topic: Shane Edwards [merged]  (Read 266617 times)

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Re: Shane Edwards - 200th game this week [update]
« Reply #2220 on: July 28, 2017, 03:44:15 AM »
last 8 or so posts sums up the mentality of posters around here. yep its kindy time.
A bit of good clean fun clawski - sometimes its best not to take life too seriously.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2221 on: July 28, 2017, 06:46:03 AM »
last 8 or so posts sums up the mentality of posters around here. yep its kindy time.

Gee you're  soooo soft Claw....
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2222 on: July 28, 2017, 07:16:33 AM »
I suspect we are going to drop this game and the only positive is I don't believe Edwards deserves a victory. You get what you put in, and I believe this lazy soft and amateur footballer didn't deserve 20 games let alone 200
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2223 on: July 28, 2017, 06:54:20 PM »
Richmond footballer Shane Edwards says 200-game milestone has crept up on him

Reece Homfray,
The Advertiser
28 July 2017

THERE’S been a common theme to the text messages Shane Edwards has been getting as he approaches a significant AFL milestone on Saturday night.

Low-profile and unassuming yet so highly regarded internally at Tigerland, the boy from Adelaide’s north-east plays his 200th game on the Gold Coast which he admits has crept up on even him.

“I’ve had a lot of people tell me they can’t really believe I’ve played 200 games, and I can’t believe it either,” he said yesterday.

“Most of my teammates to start with, mates back home in Adelaide and some family in Darwin who have sent me some messages.

“I think they think I’m a fair bit younger than what I am (28).

“I’ve been at Richmond for 11 years now and it probably feels like five or six for most people, having started so early.

“I played a lot of games early in my career when the club was a different place, so that also helps.”

Tigerland was a different place when Edwards was drafted from North Adelaide in 2006 and he has seen it evolve.

“When I first started it was under Terry Wallace and we’re not even in the same clubrooms,” he said.

“We were old and down the bottom so they played me just to play some youth, and I know that definitely helped me early on to get a fair few games.

“Ever since Dimma (Damien Hardwick) came to Richmond we’ve really had some direction, it’s fairly obvious what we’re trying to achieve, we’re trying to play a certain way and you really know what we want out of the season, where we’re heading and what the next year has to look like.

“That helps me a lot because I know exactly what I have to do out there and I’m sure that’s kept me reasonably consistent over the last few years.”

During the week his teammates were asked what they thought of Edwards and described him as “Benjamin Button” with freakish skills who made everyone around him a better person and footballer.

When the Tigers play the Gold Coast tonight, Edwards will become Richmond’s 27th 200-game player and the club’s first indigenous player to reach the milestone.

He is very proud of his indigenous heritage on his mum’s side whose family comes from Titjikala, a community 100km south east of Alice Springs.

“We’ve got a rich history of indigenous players (at Richmond), especially the late Maurice Rioli, and I’m sure someone like Daniel Rioli who’s playing now and Shai Bolton who has just been drafted they look nothing short of 200 game players that’s for sure,” Edwards said.

“I’m much older than what they are, Nathan Drummond is the second oldest (indigenous player on the list) and he’s 20, so I feel a bit like a father figure to them.

“But it’s nice when they’re surprised at how old I actually am, so I’m doing a good job of blending in.”

Edwards was partly behind a move across the AFL in indigenous round this year to trade his normal guernsey number for 67 to commemorate 50 years since the 1967 referendum.

He said it came about after a discussion with Aaron Clark who is the director of Richmond’s Korin Gamadji Institute.

“He blurted out the idea and I was an absolute wrap for it, and eventually as the game got closer there was some media and other clubs were doing it which was awesome,” he said.

Edwards grew up in Golden Grove where he played for the Kookaburras before joining North Adelaide in the SANFL and said he was honoured to play 200 games with the one club.

“You have to be so lucky and have so much support to make it this far in your career, and I’ve just been really lucky,” he said.

“I think only Jack Riewoldt has played 200 games at our club at the moment so we’ve got a pretty short list there. We have guys from other clubs but not many who have just stayed at Richmond.

“I”m sure when I finish I’ll look back and really cherish it, but you know what the season’s like, you’re drilled into taking everything one week at a time and every single game is only worth four points.

“At the moment I’m not building it up too much but I’m sure when I finish I’ll be really grateful.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/richmond-footballer-shane-edwards-says-200game-milestone-has-crept-up-on-him/news-story/f85317508ac7fc7552420cda0cd58787

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2224 on: July 29, 2017, 11:01:01 PM »
'Titch' brings up the double-ton

Shane Edwards has been a mainstay of Richmond's team through thick and thin. Drafted to the club as pick No.26 back in 2006, Edwards played through the tumultuous Terry Wallace era, as well as Damien Hardwick's rocky early years. The 28-year-old flies under the radar, the smooth footballer anticipates the ball well and has a light touch when disposing of the ball. He brought his undersized teammates into the game against the Suns with well-placed kicks, finishing with 18 disposals and six tackles in game number 200.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-29/five-talking-points-gold-coast-v-richmond

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2225 on: July 30, 2017, 11:45:47 AM »
Was ok last night .
Unleash the tornado

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2226 on: July 30, 2017, 11:49:46 AM »
Typical Shed, lowish disposals, a shank and some brilliant handballs

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #2227 on: July 30, 2017, 11:51:27 AM »
C'mon Claw, thought you were in and under
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #2228 on: July 30, 2017, 11:52:28 AM »
Plays better without Prestia's input

Caracella and Balmey.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2229 on: July 30, 2017, 02:05:24 PM »
Edwards on 3aw today said that he hates the nickname 'Titch'. They all call him 'Shedder' down at the club.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2230 on: July 31, 2017, 10:41:18 AM »
Edwards on 3aw today said that he hates the nickname 'Titch'. They all call him 'Shedder' down at the club.

Pardon my ignorance, where did the nickname Titch come from? I didn't really follow player nicknames and such during the dark Terry Wallet days

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2231 on: July 31, 2017, 10:45:55 AM »

Pardon my ignorance, where did the nickname Titch come from? I didn't really follow player nicknames and such during the dark Terry Wallet days
Robert Walls ......
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2232 on: July 31, 2017, 01:21:01 PM »
As in Robert Walls made that name for him? What does it mean? And also why has it stuck considering he prefers shedda?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2233 on: July 31, 2017, 01:52:59 PM »
It's Northern English- mainly Yorkshire/Lancashire- slang for a small person or child.......no idea why Brunswick-born and bred Walls started using it...
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #2234 on: July 31, 2017, 04:53:58 PM »
My uncle played reserves at Carlton and is nicknamed Titch due to being the size of a tall Hobbit