Author Topic: Shane Edwards [merged]  (Read 307388 times)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Re: Tigers observe protocols and send sick Shane Edwards home (Age)
« Reply #2550 on: September 04, 2020, 10:16:57 PM »
Isn’t Nyuon injured and out for the season?

Is he their for support?
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2551 on: September 05, 2020, 03:35:28 AM »
Edwards enjoys 'surreal' training session with Geelong rival Ablett

By Jake Niall
The Age
September 5, 2020

Richmond's Shane Edwards had what he described as the "surreal" experience of training with Gary Ablett in the AFL's Queensland transition hub, as the pair prepare to rejoin their respective premiership contenders for finals.

Edwards said training with Ablett - who joined him and St Kilda's Dan Hannebery for a session on Friday within the confined spaces at the transition hub - represented an "unbelievable opportunity" that had rendered him a spectator.

"It's pretty surreal," Edwards said of his morning training with Ablett on the Gold Coast.

"It's actually something that I'll probably reflect back at the end of my career and think what an unbelievable opportunity. You know so much about him, but I haven't really met him properly. He's just an amazing bloke and I'm going to try and learn as much as I can off him.

Edwards, asked to compare his very brief training experience with Ablett to doing the same with Richmond champion Dustin Martin, said: "From what I've seen, from our one session together, they're pretty clean and they've got pretty good skills, they're just really sharp and powerful, it's everything you see on the oval.

"I was more of a spectator out there, to be honest."

Edwards, who had stayed in Melbourne for the birth of his now three-week old daughter, expected to be back with the Tigers in round 18 "barring any mishaps".

Ablett, Edwards and Hannebery trained in a very small grass area of about 80 metres in length and less than 50 metres in width - a confinement that restricted the nature of their training. They were guided by ex-Cat and recruiting official at Geelong, Andrew Mackie, and former Bomber and Tiger Sam Lonergan.

"I suppose we've had a large training block already back home in Melbourne and the other guys have as well," said Edwards.

"We've finished our month of really hard training so we're due for a few lighter sessions ... our training here doesn't really have to be huge, you know, with long runs and long kicks and stuff. So we'll use it as a tune-up and also stay sharp with contested stuff.

Edwards, speaking prior to the news breaking of his teammates' early-morning escapades outside a strip club, said of the Tigers' progress: "We're going alright at the moment ... there's still things we need to improve on, obviously making the most of our dominance going inside 50. But yeah, we're still learning and fine tuning our game plan."

Edwards said he had always planned to return to the team.

"I was going to come back. The plans obviously changed when they decided the season was going to stay up here. Plus when the due date of the baby came," he said.

His daughter had "been awake all night, every night" since her birth.

Edwards and Ablett would be spectators, too, when the Cats and Tigers meet next week, and the Richmond veteran wasn't keen to have a dig at Ablett about that game.

"I don't want to start something he can finish," he said.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/edwards-enjoys-surreal-training-session-with-geelong-rival-ablett-20200904-p55sjv.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2552 on: September 05, 2020, 03:36:38 AM »
Isn’t Nyuon injured and out for the season?

Is he their for support?
Biggie is still listed on our injury list as long term with a shoulder. I'd guess he can still run laps.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Shane Edwards [merged]
« Reply #2554 on: September 19, 2020, 09:55:38 PM »
Welcome back Champ :bow. First game back and Sheds racks up 8 clearances playing only 72% gametime :o.

18 disposals (11k, 7k, 12c, 7u, 89% eff.)
4 marks
3 tackles
8 clearances
4 centre clearances
3 inside 50s
2 intercepts
3 score involvements
306m gained
1 goal assist

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2555 on: September 19, 2020, 10:30:39 PM »
BOG for me
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2556 on: September 19, 2020, 11:23:17 PM »
Star
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2557 on: September 28, 2020, 03:17:38 PM »
BARRETT: The psychological edge that has Tigers primed for another flag

Shane Edwards on how the Tigers are preparing for this year's finals series

By Damian Barrett
afl.com.au
28 September 2020

FOR SHANE Edwards, the Richmond premiership success of two of the past three seasons, combined with a shock failure in between, allows a simple luxury as he enters the 2020 Toyota AFL Finals Series.

It is the ability to block out thoughts and emotions which just don't matter in the lead-in to a finals series, and to focus on the ones that do.

The 2017-2018-2019 experiences have provided the Tigers with lessons unmatched by their seven rivals in the 2020 finals series – the 2017 premiership coming amid a whirl of emotion attached to 37 years of flag failure and the 2019 victory arriving a season after being ambushed in a preliminary final.

Edwards, who played his first match since round five in Richmond's round 18 win against Adelaide, said being able to draw on the outcomes of those three seasons was mind-settling as he prepared for Friday's qualifying final against Brisbane and the events beyond it.

"Now I'm able to visualise what it's going to be like, and I suppose the more finals you play, the more you can visualise," Edwards told AFL.com.au.

"And the other thing is, you don't really put too many thoughts into things that don't matter. We're saving a lot of thoughts that don’t mean anything right now throughout this week and by the time you actually get to the game, you haven't drained yourself on what could be.

"It takes the whole year to prepare for it. If I think back to 2017, we had the benefit of being the underdog and of having a raw emotion of just being in the finals. We don't have that any more, with expectations."

Richmond's opponent on Friday night at the Gabba will have a far different psychological preparation for the qualifying final, due to its losses to the Tigers in round 23 last year, again the following week in the same second-versus-third first week final, and in round 10 this season when it managed a horrendously inaccurate 4.17 in a 41-point loss.

Those latter two matches saw Brisbane kick a combined 12.34 (it was 8.17 to 18.4 in the 2019 preliminary final), a statistic and scenario which, unlike Edwards and Richmond, would seemingly be menacingly bouncing around at least in the backs of the minds of Lions players.

Of the eight teams in the 2020 finals, three – the Tigers, Eagles and Bulldogs – have secured recent premierships. According to Edwards, though, it was the 2018 season, ended for the Tigers after a Mason Cox blitz for Collingwood in a preliminary final, which rounded out the gamut of finals teachings.

"Having the 2018 experience has also probably helped the way we go about things as well, as unfortunate as that was for us," Edwards said.

"Seeing it go wrong, and seeing it go right gives us a well-rounded experience, knowing that if you're just 10 minutes off in any given quarter can end your whole season, no matter how well you've done everything else.

"Little things like that. We didn’t know that in 2017, didn't know that in 2018, but in 2019 we definitely knew it. It is a just a little thing you add to what we're doing. We're playing teams that have been in the finals a lot, so it's not as though it's our little secret, everyone knows it, but it's who executes the best."

Edwards said while his thoughts were under control, his drive to win another premiership was as fierce as pre-2017.

"Honestly, we are as hungry as we've ever been, personally it feels like we are going into 2017 again, and it's kind of like we're an underdog given what we've been through, and no matter what favouritism there is out there, it feels to me that there are teams out there as easily as good as we are," he said.

"And no matter what we have won, we want this one as much as the others."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/511335/barrett-the-psychological-edge-that-has-tigers-primed-for-another-flag

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Special touch from the Tigers had Edwards dreaming of flag success (Australian)
« Reply #2558 on: September 30, 2020, 02:58:26 AM »
A special touch from the Tigers had Shane Edwards dreaming of flag success

Courtney Walsh
Sports Reporter
The Australian
September 30, 2020

Shane Edwards had never felt more special in his life than when a message arrived from his mates while he was sitting on his Melbourne couch a month ago.

The Tiger has won two premierships. He is an All Australian. He is revered within his club for the selfless roles he has performed for more than a decade and respected by rivals similarly.

Edwards stayed in Melbourne with his pregnant partner Samantha when Richmond headed off in early July to spend the rest of their premiership defence on the road.

Shortly before the Dreamtime game in Darwin against Essendon on August 22, his phone buzzed.

It was a photo of his teammates wearing the black warm-up jumpers — part of their recognition of the Black Lives Matter cause — they had worn the entirety of this season.

But there was a difference. Each jumper had No 10 on it. It turned out the Tigers were missing him as well.

“The boys all posed for a little picture together and sent it to me. I thought, ‘That’s weird. They are wearing No 10.’ But I didn’t understand why they were wearing it,” he told The Australian.

“And then they told me why and it made me feel really special. I don’t think I have ever felt that special before. It was unbelievable. They didn’t have to do that, but it just made me feel a part of it.

“They wanted to show how much they liked me and appreciated me as a teammate. I am 14 years into my career and it still blows me away. I am truly grateful for it. Even now, I think it is an unbelievable thing.”

Edwards, who has played more games for Richmond than any other Indigenous player to represent the club, said the gesture is indicative of the attention to detail that has helped Richmond become a formidable side over the past four seasons.

“Just with the situation we are in, you can feel like you are not really a part of it for a while. There is only so much talking on the phone and watching that you can do,” he said.

“But just to know how much they were thinking of me, especially at that time, was unbelievable. That is what we have got at Richmond. It is unbelievable. But it is not unbelievable for us to do (those things). That is why we are the club we are.”

Edwards is now a proud father to daughter Mya and rejoined the Tigers just over a fortnight ago on the Gold Coast after spending two weeks in the AFL’s transition hub.

Fatherhood, he said, was everything he had anticipated and more.

“It is just surreal. You can do all the research you want but nothing really prepares you for having a daughter,” he said.

“You know something massive is on the way and when we first met her it was just surreal. It hasn’t really worn off. It truly is life-changing.”

The sample size is small _ one match _ but Edwards said he felt completely at ease when resuming in the round 18 clash against the Crows given his broader perspective on life.

The 31-year-old produced a strong performance, which is scarcely surprising given the shape he appeared in while training alongside Gary Ablett Jnr and Daniel Hannebery during the transition hub.

Former Bomber and Tiger Sam Lonergan helped Edwards remain in shape during the time he was away from his teammates and ensured he was ready to fire when free to play.

Edwards, who was runner-up to Dion Prestia in Richmond’s best-and-fairest last year, rated the intensity of those sessions above what he would experience in games.

He feels fitter than ever as he prepares for the 262nd match of his career. This will occur in Friday night’s preliminary final against Brisbane at the Gabba.

Edwards also wonders whether the mid-season spell might prove a silver lining and be something that helps elongate his career in coming years.

“I definitely don’t feel my age. I am turning 32 in October, but I feel like I am stronger and faster and more hungry than I have ever been,” he said.

“It is a bit annoying that I have to say how old I am, because I actually feel like I am in my mid-20s at the moment.

“I don’t know how this year is going to affect me physically, because missing a chunk of games while being fit is something that (not) many blokes would have done in the AFL, so whether it prolongs my career a little bit, who knows.

“But I am really not thinking too far ahead at the moment. I am just making sure my body is right.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/a-special-touch-from-the-tigers-had-shane-edwards-dreaming-of-flag-success/news-story/9cfb1e7cb6605784a3d77fb08469f525

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2559 on: October 03, 2020, 03:39:03 AM »
Shane Edwards

Used it well even if most of his touches didn’t gain too much metreage. Another who was thereabouts but not at the level Tigers fans have become accustomed to.

Rating: 6

Source: Foxsports

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2560 on: October 09, 2020, 10:37:08 PM »
Sheds won the TV from Ch7 for B.O.G.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2561 on: October 09, 2020, 10:51:34 PM »
10 contested, we missed him when injured, still under-rated by some
Allowed Bolton to play small forward

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #2562 on: October 09, 2020, 11:01:49 PM »
Best on ground for me.

Next best Nankervis.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2563 on: October 09, 2020, 11:32:03 PM »
That snap goal without looking :D

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2564 on: October 09, 2020, 11:32:48 PM »
Champion. Should be talked about with the rest of this golden era.