Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 459425 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #3090 on: September 22, 2017, 08:32:07 PM »
Selfless Jack Riewoldt behind Richmond’s charge to the preliminary final

Matthew Lloyd,
Herald Sun
22 September 2017

JACK Riewoldt has become the quiet achiever at Richmond.

Over the past two years Dustin Martin has become the big-bucks superstar on his way to a Brownlow Medal, Alex Rance is now being spoken of as one of the greatest full-backs of all time while Trent Cotchin has taken his game and leadership to new heights over the last 12 months.

Then there is Jack.

Long gone is the emotional and sometimes petulant Jack Riewoldt, who would wear his heart on his sleeve while terrorising opposition full-backs with his pack marking and cat-like skills at ground level while kicking bags of goals.

Riewoldt has had to evolve his game to fit in with what Damien Hardwick best believed would bring Richmond team success and also just how the modern game has changed.

Hardwick has been vindicated with the path he has chosen, one I had been very critical of in the past.

Jack is no longer the dominant force he once was but the Tigers would not be playing in a preliminary final without him.

As a matter of fact, they would be lost without him in their side.

Riewoldt has kicked 51 goals this season from 21 games, a far cry from the 78 goals he kicked from 22 games way back in 2010.

He has not diminished at all as a player as the numbers may suggest. He just plays a completely different game these days.

Riewoldt sits behind only Martin and Shane Edwards as the player who has created the most score assists at Richmond.

Jack is an extremely selfless player and doesn’t come from the school of full-forwards who will take a shot from anywhere inside 50 metres.

Jack has become almost too unselfish.

Riewoldt is also ranked fifth in the AFL overall for key forward score assists. Taylor Walker and Lance Franklin are ranked one and two.

Riewoldt s change in demeanour on the field has been significant.

Looking from afar, Riewoldt to me has always been about team but his emotions have often got the better of him and he has let himself down.

It is for that reason, and maybe one or two more, as to why Riewoldt was never voted in to Richmond’s leadership group in the previous three seasons.

That all changed late last year when Richmond dropped its leadership group down to three after a poor season and Jack was reinstated alongside captain Cotchin and the captain of the backline, Rance.

Rance made the comment in April about how they often looked at Riewoldt’s past and outspoken nature when it came to player leadership voting, which they shouldn’t have and how he’d become one of the main drivers of standards at the football club.

Riewoldt rarely kicks a bag of goals any more, having managed more than four in a game once this year, but he is just as happy celebrating a teammate’s goal as one of his own. I love that about him.

Josh Caddy is the only other big bodied forward in Richmond’s forward line so Riewoldt has done a remarkable job being the sole big target and leading the likes of Daniel Rioli, Dan Butler, Jason Castagna and Jacob Townsend.

Who could have imagined that this group of players could be good enough to quite possibly be a premiership winning forward line.

Like the Bulldogs did last year, the forward group at Richmond led by Riewoldt has an unwavering mindset for discipline and hard work.
Riewoldt has had an outstanding season at the Tigers sole big target in attack. Picture: Getty Images

The unrelenting pressure of the Tigers broke Geelong on the big stage of Friday night football in a qualifying final.

That would give them enormous confidence but it has to be replicated again and again for the Tigers to go all the way, but aside from two hours against St Kilda and a half against the Crows, they have not looked like dropping off.

Waver against the GWS and Richmond is asking for serious trouble.

If the Tigers bring full heat I don’t believe the Giants will be able to cope with the pressure Richmond can apply in front of what I expect to be the most one-sided, hostile crowds we will have ever have witnessed.

The Richmond faithful have been waiting a long time for a game of this significance and they will never have a better opportunity to enter a Grand Final than this, given the significant home ground advantage.

It’s Tiger Time and unassuming Jack will be central to the outcome.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/a-selfless-jack-riewoldt-big-reason-richmond-is-playing-in-a-preliminary-final-writes-matthew-lloyd/news-story/cf2964c209ae869c54a7ee8b9e2ca518

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3091 on: September 23, 2017, 10:46:49 PM »
Was quite first  half, but lifted after that very smart footballer.

dwaino

« Reply #3092 on: September 23, 2017, 11:24:18 PM »
Is Jack carrying an injury? Just seems to be a bit pedestrian in terms of chasing and leading.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3093 on: September 24, 2017, 06:28:03 AM »
Don't think so, was just blanketed by the second best defender in the comp

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #3094 on: September 24, 2017, 11:28:04 AM »
Soaks up a lot of pressure and effort from oppo defense every game, they get tired just competing with him and chasing him around to prevent him getting a ball.  That alone frees up the other blokes.  Still scores every game, assists, gets the ball to ground for the scroungers, always has two blokes on him.  Anyone who is worth two is gold for mine.
Lots of people name their swords......

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3095 on: September 24, 2017, 11:39:59 AM »
Needs help though. Maybe the taller Tom Lynch and/or Schache would be a nice sidekick...

Or both :D

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3096 on: September 24, 2017, 11:54:55 AM »
If Lynch doesn't look at us and think stuff i should really really consider a move to punt road then he is bloody nuts.
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #3097 on: September 24, 2017, 12:02:21 PM »
Sook
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3098 on: September 24, 2017, 06:33:00 PM »
Riewoldt admits to thinking GF was beyond reach

afl.com.au
24 September 2017

STAR Richmond forward Jack Riewoldt admits he doubted whether he would ever reach a Grand Final as he prepares to help the Tigers land their first premiership since 1980.

He wasn't shying away from a poor individual performance in Saturday's preliminary final win against Greater Western Sydney either.

Richmond come up against minor premiers Adelaide at the MCG next Saturday, a situation that seemed inconceivable after Damien Hardwick's side won only eight games last year.

The Tigers made finals the three years preceding that but lost an elimination final each time.

Riewoldt, 28, shared his concerns before the VFL Grand Final, in which Richmond was one of the participants, on Sunday.

"It's been 12 years and I've never played in a Grand Final before. I'll be honest, at the end of last year, there were points when I thought (about if) I would ever to represent this great football club on the greatest stage that we can play on," Riewoldt told reporters. 

"It's a different feeling and one that I've never been involved in at AFL level."

He was drafted at No.13 in 2006 and had never been past the first week of finals in his 224-match career.

An undoubted gun of the competition, Riewoldt was quiet against the Giants, booting just one goal and collecting eight disposals.

A question had begun to be asked by a reporter about the forward's performance before Riewoldt cut it off.

"Let's not beat around the bush, I didn't play very well yesterday," Riewoldt said. 

"My role is completely different to what it has been in the past. I like to think that I probably led from the front. I just tried to get those younger guys in the game and provide them with (opportunities for) their strengths, which is getting the ball to ground. 

"I didn't have the greatest game but whatever the role the side wants me to play, I just try and play to my best ability."

Riewoldt's cousin Nick lined up in three premiership deciders for St Kilda, and the two have already had a chance meeting.

"I saw him this morning actually, funnily enough. I was driving into the club to go and do some rehab and him and his son James and Luke Ball and his little girl were scootering down the road. Adults and scooters doesn't make for a great look," Riewoldt joked. 

"I saw him, pulled over and just had a quick hello. He's sent me a couple of messages already, just well wishes and whatnot but I'll catch up with him and see what it's all about."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-24/riewoldt-admits-to-thinking-gf-was-beyond-reach-

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3099 on: September 29, 2017, 03:59:37 PM »
jack-riewoldts-selfless-role-has-been-critical-to-richmonds-success-says-paul-roos

Paul Roos
News Corp
29 September 2017

JACK Riewoldt was criticised for his lack on contribution in Richmond’s drought-breaking preliminary final win but Paul Roos says the Tigers spearhead has been instrumental in the club’s rise this season.

The premiership coach says Riewoldt has become a critical role player for Richmond as Damien Hardwick bases his attack on a fleet of small forwards.

The dual Coleman Medallist kicked 52 goals this season, four more than last year, and his second lowest return since 2009.

However, Roos believed there has been no better example of Hardwick’s changes in gameplan and philosophy than Riewoldt.

“Riewoldt has been their most significant role player. He’s had an incredibly under-rated season. I think he’s been absolutely amazing,” Roos wrote on website, Players’ Voice.

“I don’t think any other team that’s made a Grand Final has asked a player to do what Jack has done this year – and that’s be the one-out full-forward - the only big man in your forward half of the ground.

“It’s unbelievable what he’s been able to do, and that’s a decision he’s made to sacrifice himself for the team. ‘I’m going to get the ball to the ground every single time.’

“I don’t think he got enough credit for Saturday’s game against the Giants. He talked himself down afterwards, but I thought he was fantastic. They don’t win that game by six goals if he doesn’t get to all those contests and bring the ball to ground. He’s done it week-in, week-out.

“I had him in my All-Australian team. It’s easy to say Lance Franklin did this and that, but Buddy kicked 18 goals in two games against two of the bottom three sides in the competition, and 51 in the other 20 games in the home-and-away season.

“Jack Riewoldt has been one-out the whole year, contributed so much that doesn’t appear next to his name on the stats’ sheet, and still kicked 52 goals.”

Roos said the Tigers’ Grand Final run had been sparked by their role players, similar to the Western Bulldogs last year.

The Tigers rank seventh in points for but importantly third in points against.

“Trent Cotchin has become a role player, and as such he’s elevated his standing in the game. From the captain down they’ve been prepared to make a sacrifice, and look where it’s got them,” Roos said.

“Richmond’s backline doesn’t get enough credit. They’re in the top three defensive teams in the competition having kept the opposition to an average of 75 points a game.

“There were times on the weekend when the Giants got out, got through the pressure of the Richmond small forwards and when they looked up, (Alex) Rance was there, or (David) Astbury was there, or (Nick) Vlastuin, or (Bachar) Houli.

“Rance gets most of the plaudits, but there’s some really good role players, talented players in that back six.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/jack-riewoldts-selfless-role-has-been-critical-to-richmonds-success-says-paul-roos/news-story/eafada60e28e30607422992b067125ef

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3100 on: September 29, 2017, 09:31:17 PM »
Richmond star Jack Riewoldt tells Mark Robinson about Tigers’ amazing connection

MARK ROBINSON,
Herald Sun
29 September 2017

TO SILENCE and sometimes to tears, every one of them got up and told their story.

There were reflections about grief and family and hardship and fears and challenges and also heroes.

It was powerful and personal, a platform for the 2017 season based on trust which, if you look at how Richmond has played this season, is an extension of the connection created by these tell-alls.

“I would say it would be right up there with the most valued thing within the club,’’ Jack Riewoldt says.

“It was pretty personal from everyone.”

What was it called?

“I can’t tell you that ... it’s too important.”

It began with coach Damien Hardwick in the pre-season after his return from a development course at Harvard University in the US.

He told his players and coaches of his failings and vulnerabilities.

“I really idolised him afterwards for what he did,” says Riewoldt.

“Myself and Trent, Shane, Alex and Dustin have been there for the whole time he’s been there. We’ve seen him get grey hairs and get old and mature into the job and ride the highs and lows. I think with senior coaches, you have to build a game plan, have a bit of personality every now and then, but his ability to strip it back and admit fault made me look within myself. I know the other players think the same.”

Trent Cotchin was next. He spoke of his acceptance of imperfection.

“Just look within, don’t try to be a perfect person because it just doesn’t exists,’’ Riewoldt said. “Trent is a great captain, but his greatest asset is his ability to inspire others with his actions. He’s been challenged but as a captain, a leader in finals, he’s been phenomenal.’’

Week after week, players followed players and coaches, too. Someone would be nominated by the previous speaker and the next week he would stand up in front of the group, 44 players, coaches and some staff, mostly always in the players’ auditorium.

There’s uniformity in that room. Players and coaches sit in the same seat in every meeting. Riewoldt was behind Josh Caddy, beside Ivan Maric and in front of Justin Leppitsch — second back row, on the aisle.

He was about the 10th person chosen. He spoke at the pre-season camp on the Sunshine Coast in January about the grief of losing his cousin Maddie.

“I spoke about my hardship, the passing of Maddie,’’ he said. “Fortunate is not the right word, but I’ve got something to put my grief towards, which is the MRV charity and Maddie’s Match, which is important. I’ve learnt the process of learning how to grieve.

“A lot of our guys have gone through stuff you would never know about unless we had these conversations.

“It was cleansing for some guys to bare their soul and the connection it’s created within the group is awesome.

“The captain and Dimma led it off, they bared their stuff. They were similar in some ways. They’re such great people and so proud, and probably Alex and myself were in the same boat, when we were struggling last year, we all went into complete manic mode, where we tried to turn every stone over to find the answer to get back to where we want to be.

“In doing that, everyone was looking under the same stone, but the thing we needed to do was be more honest with each other, strip it back and become ... not more authentic, but more personal.

“It’s been a humbling process. I’ve learnt more from hearing other people talk about stuff that’s gone on in their life.’’

For example, Bachar Houli spoke about the birth of his daughter and his feelings pre and post-birth towards his wife, Rouba. At the end, he told the assembled to leave and phone their mum and tell her they love her. He told his story on 3AW last weekend.

The others remain in-house.

“I’m hesitant to tell you about what was said, it’s not my place,’’ Riewoldt said.

“I experienced the death of a young person who should be living and breathing today. Because Roo and I are so public and live our lives in the public eye, it was going to get out. It’s amazing some of the stories you hear and they’re not around death or anything like that, but it’s amazing the stories you’re hearing. These people haven’t had the opportunity to express their stories. Plenty of people have stuff bottled up inside. It was amazing how many stories were linked in together. That creates a connection.’’

Several times, Riewoldt said, it seemed the whole room of people were crying.

“It was pretty emotive stuff. Trent, Alex and myself are very proud with the way they were able to express themselves, but also the adult dealings in terms of taking on other people’s stories. It didn’t change my life, but it gave a real different perspective on life and footy, gave me greater connection with the players, the younger players. It was just another layer.’’

In many ways, it was the formation of the growing up of a Richmond team — and club — which, as the season extended, matured into a Grand Final team.

The doubters — and there’s always doubters about the Tigers — are silenced.

The doubters — and there were always doubters about Riewoldt — are long silenced.

Riewoldt is now 28. Where once he wanted to be the best player, he now thrives on being the best teammate. Where once he was accused of being selfish, he probably now is the most selfless player in the team.

The grown up Jack coincides with — but is not the reason for — him joining the AFL360 team at the start of the 2016 season.

Former AFL360 panellist Bob Murphy helped choose Riewoldt as his replacement because he believed Riewoldt’s true character wasn’t being exposed or explored on other media outlets as it should’ve been.

“I certainly would agree 360 has changed a lot of people’s perceptions about me,’’ Riewoldt said.

“I didn’t beat myself down, but I used to get affected by what people would think about me, I would find it hard to comprehend how people could judge me as a person from the two hours of football they see on the weekend. People judge personalities on how they perform on the footy field.”

The loss of Maddie, the natural maturing and being added to the Tigers’ leadership group this year have all played their role.

“Part of being human is growing up at certain stages,’’ he said.

Still, he’ll forever be emotional.

He burst into tears at the sound of the siren in the preliminary final, overcome by the achievement, joining former teammate Brett Deledio, who was also in tears, and even when being interviewed by Matthew Richardson.

“I spent six years with Richo and I know what it means to him and his family and deep down you want every person to be a part of it,’’ he said.

“Funnily enough the sense of achievement after winning the qualifying final was a greater sense of relief than winning last week.’’

Afterwards in the rooms, Riewoldt sought sanctuary in the changerooms as the congregation of players and families celebrated outside.

In his gear sans his boots, he says he had waves of emotions.

“In reflection I felt like there’s still a big hole there which is a void which could be filled this weekend.

“I was thinking about what had happened, what it meant, thinking about Lids, the week ahead, the two senior Grand Finals with Clarence as a young fella, reflecting on all those things.’’

He was beaten badly by Greater Western Sydney’s Phil Davis on the night, a situation he would’ve previously beaten himself up about.

“I was filthy about how I played because my role is not to let my man beat me,’’ he said. “And I reflected on that and just thought about what I could do differently this week.’’

Herald Sun columnist Matthew Lloyd last week wrote about the role Riewoldt has played this season, basically as the sole key forward with a bunch a kids around him.

He is a presenter and contester and where once he wanted to take the mark of the year every week, his performance is valued by how much he competes. Such as jumping for marks in two-on-one situations and bringing the ball to ground. In the first 30 seconds last week, he contested against two opponents, the ball squirted off the pack to Dustin Martin and the goal was kicked by Kane Lambert.

The week before, against Geelong, he competed Lachie Henderson and Zac Smith, and the spillage was collected by Cotchin who kicked an incredible goal.

“I don’t kick a lot of goals, I’m pretty consistent kicking two or three a week, but I feel I’ve a had a bigger impact on the scoreboard and on the team,’’ he said.

His relationship with his forwards, he says, is like that of a big brother.

Every week, three times a week, he and Jason Castagna and Dan Butler have goalkicking practice, with assistant coach Andrew McQualter standing the mark. “That’s really important to me,’’ he said. “I feel like a bit of an old fart sometimes. I’m 28 and I feel like an old fart.’’

On Monday, he took Dan Rioli to buy a suit for the Brownlow Medal. “I’ve got an extremely high regard for Daniel on and off the field, he’s pretty inspiring.”

His week has been kind of normal. Monday was the Brownlow, Tuesday was AFL360 and catching up on two episodes of Australian Survivor. Wednesday was golf and then dinner with cousin Nick. Thursday was the main training session. But Friday was amazing — the captain’s run in front of 10,000 fans and the parade in front of more than 100,000. It was mind-boggling.

His phone, however, is in meltdown. In this 40-minute conversation, he received 15 text messages from family, friends, the King Island Bakery run by the Hamer family and a fruiterer mate who has painted his shop yellow and black.

He’s revelling in the wellwishers and when watching the preliminary final again, was wowed by the scenes of grown men and women crying in the grandstands.

It’s taken its time forming, but the realisation is in stone inside Riewoldt that footy is about people.

“I have a huge love for the Tigers,’’ he said.

“Sometimes I think I love the Tigers more than anyone else. But there’s people out there who love them as much as me. I just get to play for them.

“I used to think the fans don’t get it because they haven’t played. You put in blood, sweat and tears through pre-season, you put your body on the line in games, I do it for absolute love and loyalty to the club. The realisation point comes when you say, people don’t get the chance to do this, but they love it as much as we love it.

“I’m crystal balling here, but I can’t imagine what it would be like if we won the flag.’’

If yes, trust and connection would be absolute.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/jack-riewoldt-opens-up-on-how-the-tigers-came-together-as-a-group-the-loss-of-his-cousin-maddie-and-his-grand-final-excitement/news-story/da990de194e82d81fa0ecad72a6ed76f

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3101 on: September 30, 2017, 05:56:29 AM »
Jack's been good but he's due for a big game on the scoreboard. No better time than today.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3102 on: September 30, 2017, 06:49:33 AM »
Agree big game player will be revved up.

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3103 on: September 30, 2017, 11:52:15 PM »
his speccies were sensational today

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3104 on: October 01, 2017, 05:15:15 AM »
Jack Riewoldt is resilient

A case of the Grand Final yips looked on the cards for the Tigers key forward, when he kicked three consecutive behinds after the Crows booted the first two goals of the game. But instead of dropping his head, Riewoldt got himself back into the contest. He laid tackles, chased everything within sight, applied great pressure in the attacking 50 and hauled in a couple of clutch contested marks. No one deserved to kick a huge fourth-quarter goal more than jumping Jack, who left his mark on this premiership triumph.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-30/ten-things-we-learned-2017-grand-final-adelaide-v-richmond