Author Topic: Daniel Jackson [merged]  (Read 44520 times)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Daniel Jackson [merged]
« on: July 15, 2004, 05:44:18 PM »
Jackson a class act
15 July 2004   Herald Sun
Grantley Bernard

APPETITE diminished, concentration shot, it was a tough day at school for Daniel Jackson.

It might have been tougher if his problems were caused by bad news.

After receiving word on Tuesday he would make his AFL debut for Richmond this weekend, life at Carey Grammar was a little disjointed yesterday for Jackson, whose stomach was full of butterflies rather than hunger.

"I was fine last night at home," Jackson said. "I was pretty relaxed and took about an hour to get to sleep.

"But this morning coming to school and everybody sort of found out about it, that was when I started to get a bit nervous.

"I lost my appetite for a little while and I've been struggling in class, too.

"I'm not getting much done."

Which could be excused given he has achieved so much over the past fortnight of school holidays.

With school taking priority, 18-year-old Jackson has been in and out of Punt Rd at odd hours this season, save for school holidays when he can commit to the Tigers' regular training routine.

Time off from the APS football season allowed Jackson to play for Coburg in the VFL and make the extra impression that prompted the Tigers to hand him his debut.

"His form in the VFL the last two weeks was very good and as a result he's been selected," Richmond football manager Greg Hutchison said. "He's got a good head on his shoulders and he's a good competitor."

That the strapping Jackson (187cm and 87kg) is in any position to be playing AFL is a feat in itself and, in many ways, largely down to Carey Grammar, which can claim four AFL players this season (Jackson, Tom Roach, Julian Rowe and Kieran McGuinness).

Such is Jackson's commitment to Carey as its footy captain, he is desperate to play against Scotch in a couple of weeks to close a memorable chapter of his school life.

A junior soccer player, Jackson didn't play competitive footy until he went to Carey, where he also is an excellent rower, and he was uncertain about even going into last year's draft.

But Tiger scouts had seen enough of Jackson in his handful of games for Oakleigh Chargers in the TAC Cup to take him with the 53rd pick.

For that, Jackson gives some credit to fellow Tiger Tom Roach.

"They were looking at Tom Roach a fair bit and they managed to see me at the same time," Jackson said.

"This time last year I hadn't been planning on nominating for the draft.

"There was too much happening last year. The plan was to finish school and make sure I didn't stuff that up."

The exam results will tell that story at the end of the year.

So far, it seems Jackson's footy education is right on pace.

"I've learnt a lot this year in a football sense," Jackson said.

"It's got me far enough to get a game this week."

Which is plenty of good news for one day, anyway.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10142035%255E19771,00.html
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Daniel Jackson
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 05:45:05 PM »
Jackson set for action
15 July, 2004
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

Richmond’s Director of Football, Greg Miller, has described Daniel Jackson’s meteoric rise this year, from schoolboy to AFL player, as “a fairytale story”.

The 18-year-old Jackson, who is completing his VCE at Carey Grammar, will make his senior debut for Richmond against St Kilda at Telstra Dome this Saturday.

“From schoolboy to AFL footballer in the same year is rarely done these days as players don’t normally nominate for the draft until they’ve completed their VCE,” Miller said.

“In this case, we worked with Daniel’s family prior to the draft and convinced them that his school would come first.

“During this year, we’ve kept up that obligation and he’s played his school football and looked after his studies as No. 1 priority.

“We certainly weren’t expecting to get senior football, or even much Coburg football, from Daniel this season – we were looking to 2005 with him.

“From an interrupted preparation, in terms of what AFL is these days, to come down during school holidays and before the school season started, and to be able to work his way into the senior side, speaks volumes for his organisational skills – let alone his outstanding ability.

“The last three weeks he’s played with Coburg, given the mid-year semester break for the school . . . his form’s been undeniable and he’s now been given the opportunity at senior level.”

Miller is confident the 187cm and 87kg teenager won’t be overawed by the occasion.

“Look, he’s absolutely ‘bull-at-a-gate’ in his approach. He’s uncompromising, he puts his body on the line and he’s a competitor in every sense of the word,” Miller said.

“It was a target of ours in the recruiting period at the end of last year to get competitors here, and we see Daniel as an absolute competitor – that’s how you best describe him.

“He’ll relish every contest that he can get into. And, the experience he picks up is going to be invaluable to him for an even better season next year post his VCE.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=160377
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 06:11:40 PM »
Pleased he's able to get a taste of AFL footy in his first year. He's deserved his opportunity to get a game.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Daniel Jackson [merged]
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 07:19:17 PM »
Jackson did very well today in his debut. Seemed very comfortable at this level, is a good size and most of all had good skills and a footy brain that many of his more experienced and old teammates lacked. I liked how he switched the play back into the centre which set up a goal for us in the last quarter instead of just predictably bombing it down the line to a contest as we did all day.

Well done today Daniel :).

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 07:26:56 PM »
Forgot to ask if Jackson has done his groin or was that only cramp in the last quarter?

Also I missed what caused Sarge out?

froars

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 07:31:50 PM »
Very impressed with him.  Kicked it long twice out of the middle straight down Richo's throat.
Rex called for him to be dragged saying it was very unRichmond-like lol

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 07:31:53 PM »
Forgot to ask if Jackson has done his groin or was that only cramp in the last quarter?

Also I missed what caused Sarge out?

Can't help on the first one. Heard Sarge twinged a hammy at training. Only heard it through casual chat at the game though, nothing concrete.
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 08:32:00 PM »
Thanks for that Gibby. The AFL website has only Pettifer with an ankle injury  :(.

Bulluss

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 10:26:21 PM »
I thought Jackson played a very good game, wasnt scared to back back in front of a leading forward and seemed very comfortable at the level. I think he has a great future with us at tigerland

I was also very impressed with Kelvin Moore again, this kid is something. Very good at ground level for his size and knows where to go and how to judge the ball. Another very impressive youngster.

Jackstar

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2004, 10:39:10 PM »
Both Moore and Jackson were good, I remember some ""clown "" telling me from some other planet in internet land that neither would play for the Tigers this year and I was an idiot! Dont ask ,I cant be bothered naming him, lol
Yeah, Bulluss, he sits near you! lol

Offline wrennyboy

• Future Richmond star
  • Captain Coughlan
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2004, 10:39:29 PM »
Richmond confirmed that it was just cramp not a groin injury. So good news
wrenny

Offline wrennyboy

• Future Richmond star
  • Captain Coughlan
Frawley Praises Jackson
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2004, 10:46:49 PM »
When Richmond coach Danny Frawley spoke in his post-match media conference after the Tigers 44-point loss to St Kilda at Telstra Dome on Saturday, he focused on the positives, despite the disappointing loss.

He spoke glowingly about the efforts of Joel Bowden on key Saint Aaron Hamill, the efforts of Matthew Richardson to kick six goals in a losing side, while he praised the first match of Daniel Jackson, who showed plenty to like about his game.

"Young Daniel Jackson, I thought his start of the last quarter or his game (was great) - he's got a bit to learn about the game - but he's going to be a terrific for this club for a long time, hopefully," Frawley said.

"He's got a good attitude, he's got a good character and as you saw today, he's going to have a good strong body on him and he's got good speed, so that was a positive."

For the 18 year-old Carey Grammar school boy, who has spent the majority of the season with his school side and just a handful of matches with the Coburg Tigers in the VFL, he said it was a 'great experience' to have his first taste as an AFL footballer.

"I was pretty happy with how I went today. They just don't stop running out there, so I need to get a few more k's under the belt while I'm at school," Jackson said.

"I was just cramping up in my hammy's, groin and my calves and I was pretty much shot by the end there. It was just the pace. They keep going and going and going. I was running on guts all day."

Jackson said he found out he was set to make his AFL debut last Tuesday when club director of football Greg Miller and football manager Greg Hutchison visited his home to tell him the good news.

"Greg and Greg came over and checked it was all clear with my parents and then filled me in, so I was a bit nervous then and I battled a bit at school on Wednesday, when everyone found out and after that I got over the nerves and I was right last night," Jackson said.

"It was a pretty big surprise. It clicked when Mum said they were coming over for a meeting.”

Jackson, who was selected at No.53 in last year's National's AFL Draft, may not have been playing this season if Richmond hadn't convinced him and his parents to nominate for last year's meeting.

"Last year, I didn't even plan on nominating and then they convinced me to come down here and I just thought I'd take it as it came, but I didn't think I'd be playing until next year either, so I just keep stepping up and stepping up," Jackson said.

The word in the football circles was that Jackson would be a monty to be taken as an earlier selection in this year's National's AFL Draft, had he not ended up nominating last year.

"Brisbane had spoken to me first and we said at the time (that) I wasn't going to nominate, so we said no sorry, not this year," Jackson said.

"Then I nominated after Richmond had spoken to my parents. Brisbane came back and spoke to me again, which was a bit worrying, but we told them that I'd stay here and finish school and get that done and that was a bit of a risk for them and they chose not to take it.

"I was more than happy to come here with Tommy Roach and with all the other young guys. It's just been great. We've got a good group going there and good friendships have been made out of it, so hopefully we can stay together for a long time."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=160850
wrenny

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2004, 10:56:07 PM »
Both Moore and Jackson were good, I remember some ""clown "" telling me from some other planet in internet land that neither would play for the Tigers this year and I was an idiot! Dont ask ,I cant be bothered naming him, lol
Yeah, Bulluss, he sits near you! lol

Does he wave a flag?  ;D ;)
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Jackstar

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2004, 11:04:37 PM »
Gibby, you are just too clever. 10/10 for you ! ;)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2004, 09:52:31 PM »
Heard Sarge twinged a hammy at training. Only heard it through casual chat at the game though, nothing concrete.

Spot on Gibby - not a strain or tear just soreness and they didn't want to risk him.

As for Jackson's debut - thought he was excellent. Skill and good decision making (a footy brain I think MT called it ;)) looking forawrd to seeing what he can do for the next 10 years.

Surely, seeing young fellows like Jackson, Moore, Hartigan and Roach has to help in enticing a coach to come to the Tigers :-\ ;)

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)