Author Topic: Daniel Jackson [merged]  (Read 43525 times)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
Re: Daniel Jackson
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2004, 12:41:27 PM »
I'm sure there are faster players in the AFL than Walker.  Chris Judd and Aaron Davey come to mind. 
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Daniel Jackson [merged]
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2005, 03:02:10 AM »
Fighting Tiger Bulletin
by Sean Callander

The tests keep coming for second­ year Tiger Daniel Jackson.

Last year, it was an AFL debut, combined with the rigors of studying for his YCE.

In the opening round of the 2005 Wizard Cup, it was lining up on one of the game's elite forwards, Magpie Chris Tarrant.

But the 18-year-old defender is becoming accustomed to life in the spotlight. Indeed, he's thriving on each challenge and the valuable experience they provide.

"It was a great learning experience to play on Chris Tarrant. While we lost the game, there were  plenty of positives. I can't complain about opportunities like that - he's one of the best forwards going around," Jackson said.

Jackson was one of the surprise packets of the 2003 AFL National Draft, snared 53rd overall with the Tigers' third pick.

He attracted the attention of the Richmond recruiting staff while they were keeping an eye on Tom Roach, Jackson's Carey Grammar teammate, who was claimed by the Tigers under the father-son rule.

"They were watching Tommy quite a lot. I played at Carey with him, so that was my link to Richmond. As I was still at school, Richmond's interest didn't really draw too much attention," Jackson said.

"As a 17-year-old, I hadn't thought about getting drafted all year until a few days before when Richmond's offer came up. It only left me 48 hours to make a decision.

"After I nominated, Richmond told me they'd pick me up, so I was pretty hopeful. The Brisbane Lions were the only other club that showed any interest."

While VCE studies were keeping him busy, the  hard running backman eventually caught the eye of senior selectors after a series of solid performances for Richmond's VFL affiliate, the Coburg Tigers.

"I  played a few good games in the VFL over the school holidays. Then (Richmond Director of Football) Greg Miller and  (former Football Manager) Greg Hutchison came over and spoke to my parents, before they told me I'd be selected to make my debut. All I could think was `I've got a SAC (school assessed coursework) tomorrow, but I'll be there on Saturday'. It was a big surprise," he said.

Jackson's pace and fierce appetite for the ball drew plenty of praise after his senior debut against St Kilda in Round 16. He eventually played in six of the last seven games for 2004.

Not only did Jackson show he was a more than capable AFL player, he successfully combined club commitments with study.

"It was a bit different when it came to playing. Some days I'd duck out at recess to the footy club, and then again after school finished to do extra training to catch up," he said.

"I know now that I learnt a lot more at school when' was relaxed. Footy was a great outlet as it kept my mind fresh. By the end of the year I was pretty committed. I was used to focusing for football and I applied the same skills to study. Maybe it was the other way around, but either way it worked."

It sure did. .. Jackson scored 96.65 in his VCE.

"I was very happy, and surprised even myself. I got into commerce at Melbourne (University), but it will be very much part-time, just one subject and three hours a week," he said.

While he's no stranger to hard work, Jackson barely had time to celebrate his VCE success before pre-season kicked off under new Richmond coach Terry Wallace.

"It's sure been pretty solid," Jackson said.

"It was longer and more intense than my first pre-season, but at the same time there was more variety - boxing, weights, swimming, then skills and ball-work. It was tough, but I expect it will payoff.

"One of my strengths is my running ­I've worked hard on that - but I've tried to do a lot more ball-work, as I haven't played as many years as a lot of the other guys."

Described by Greg Miller as an "absolute competitor, a player who relishes every contest he can get to", Jackson hopes to consolidate a permanent starting position in 2005.

"Terry said he'd like to give me a run in the midfield some time this year to see how I go, but I'm happy to stick in the backline and just keep working on my skills and learning," he said.

Although Richmond is coming off one of their worst seasons on record, Jackson said the mood was buoyant in the Tiger camp.

"The Wizard Cup game was different. . . everyone was up for it. Obviously, every club aspires to get into the eight, and we'll certainly try to do that. But ifs also a learning year to tryout the new systems that Terry has brought in, which already seem to be working," he said.

"Last year we had a lot of young guys come through and we've developed pretty good bonds. If we all come through together ifs going to be very positive for the Club over the next few years."
And, Jackson can't wait to share in his first rousing rendition of 'We're From Tigerland".

"I've played in six premiership-season games and one Wizard Cup game for seven losses. I can't wait to win one and sing the song. I just hope I remember the words!"   
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 04:12:05 AM by one-eyed »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2005, 03:19:33 AM »
Finally we unearth a player with brawn and brains. Hope he becomes our John Worsfold.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2005, 04:09:28 AM »
He might need a few lessons from Staff if he's to become our Worsfold lol.

"Terry said he'd like to give me a run in the midfield some time this year to see how I go, but I'm happy to stick in the backline and just keep working on my skills and learning," he said.

It'll be good to see him get a go in the midfield this year. I think this is where he'll end up playing most of his  footy career and given his size, pace and agility he'll be a bloody hard player for the opposition to match-up on once he reaches around the 50 game mark and has gained the experience.

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2005, 12:46:49 PM »

And, Jackson can't wait to share in his first rousing rendition of 'We're From Tigerland". I can't wait to finally hear it again either

"I've played in six premiership-season games and one Wizard Cup game for seven losses. Don't worry this will change after we play the Pussies.

I can't wait to win one and sing the song. I just hope I remember the words!" Daniel :help how could you not remeber the AFL's best theme-song?   

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2005, 01:45:37 PM »
Daniel :help how could you not remeber the AFL's best theme-song?   

If we do win I'd reckon it'll be one of the loudest renditions of the theme song ever in a H/A game. The bloke in control of the CD might play it a few times too to get of the cobwebs  ;).

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2005, 09:20:38 PM »
Jackson was quiet for the first 3 quarters but in the last I thought he did some nice things on the wing running through the lines and setting up a couple of our goals. Thought he was one of the main reasons we at least fought the game out and in the end won the quarter.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Daniel Jackson [merged]
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2007, 03:42:49 AM »
Last chance for Jacko?

If he's playing as a tagger tomorrow (on whom?), what would be a good game from him?

Online cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2007, 04:23:36 AM »
Last chance against this current West Coast outfit would be a bit unfair.
Needless to say I think he would be spending a bit of time on and off the ground.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2007, 08:20:44 AM »
he will tag judd or kerr

big job ahead and i reckon he will be up to it

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2007, 11:52:55 AM »
he at least deserves a chance to show what he can do after consistent form at VFL level. I like him - he seems like a good lad, so I want him to do well.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2007, 12:55:45 PM »
he at least deserves a chance to show what he can do after consistent form at VFL level. I like him - he seems like a good lad, so I want him to do well.

ditto

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2007, 02:16:10 PM »
Not good enough.

Won't make it.

Doesn't have what it takes.

Will be gone at end of year.

Give him a go by all means.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2007, 08:05:57 PM »
Did Jacko do enough today to keep his spot?

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2007, 08:41:58 PM »
Well he kept Braun relatively quiet, and worked hard. I watched him closely all day - he'll keep his spot for next week on that.