Author Topic: Draft Strategy  (Read 10493 times)

Offline evaluator

• Future Richmond star
Draft Strategy
« on: May 31, 2007, 01:03:31 PM »
Draft Strategy that Richmond may insert for this years trading and national U18’s championships in late June to Novembers / Decembers drafts.

As most would attest to, Richmond is required to rebuild now. We did not 2 years ago, and unfortunately Hawthorn and Collingwood have. They are not that far ahead of us and if we do things right, we could be ahead of both after the selections are made later in the year.

A couple of points:
•   Richmond needs 2 Crash and Bash ruckmen for centre square work.
•   Richmond requires more 2 – way runners that hurt when we have the ball, and negate when other sides do. We have too many downhill skiers at present. Tambling, Deledio, Meyer, Howat, Pettifer, Tuck Schulz. All have big areas of concern. Can it be rectified? Not all of them. See below.

This year’s crop. Not as deep this year, but quality will be found through to pick 40-50. We should trade accordingly.

Schulz: Trade with Doggies: For 3rd Round pick Cameron Faulkner, and Minson/Tim Walsh.
Pettifer: Trade with St Kilda for 3rd round Pick.
Tuck: Trade with Collingwood for 3rd round pick.

Delist: These players will never win Richmond a premiership. On ya bikes! Can you do it all at once? Doubtful but I would for our assault in 2011 or was that 3011?

Jackson, Moore, Howat, Knobel, Bowden. P, Hyde, Krakeour, Graham, Tivendale

Players in this years Championships:

I have stayed away from looking at interstate only Ebert, Masten are probably worthy. Some might improve also later. We do not want the go-home factor again. Re. Danny Meyer.

People can work out who the players play for themselves, or watch the carnival.

Midfield / Back flanks / Wings / Pockets. Nearly in order:

1.   Trent Cotchin
2.   James Polkinghorn
3.   Aaron Joseph ( I love this blokes aggression)
4.   Luke Potts
5.   Kane Smith
6.   Nicholas Peters
7.   Jackson Hall
8.   Kris Nye
9.   Scott Selwood
10.   Rory Sloane
11.   Ashley Arrowsmith
12.   Ricky Hurley

Ruckmen / Resting Forward Pockets.

1.   Matt Kreuzer
2.   Tom Bellchambers
3.   Will Sullivan
4.   Mark Wescott.

Spine / Utilities:

1.   Andrew Otten
2.   Matthew Lobbe
3.   Tobias Thoolen
4.   Hugh Sandilands
5.   Jeremy Laidler
6.   Shaun Dixon
7.   Callan Ward
8.   Tim Bongetti (coming off a knee. Is it sound?)

So how should we attack the draft days?

•   3 Ruckmen
•   2 KPP (preferably defenders)
•   3 mids
•   2 utilities

My selections long ways out from home are: Keep in mind I don’t think Carlton will win another 3 games.

2:          Matt Kreuzer / Trent Cotchin      (Ruck / mid)
18:         Bellchambers          (Ruck)
19:         Otten            (Spine / utility)
3rd round saints:      Polkinghorne         (Mid)
3rd round dogs      Thoolen            (Spine / utility)
3rd round Pies      Lobbe            (Ruck / Spine / utility)
35         Joseph            (Mid )
51      Hall            (Mid / utility)
67   Peters            (Mid / Rover)
83?   Nye            (Mid / Rover)

PSD: Target      Charman / Dowler / Meesan,  for mine.

Rookies: Howat / Graham off: 2 of the players off the listed players still available after draft day named above.

I would like: Shaun Dixon and Mark Wescott / Nye.

So If I were to get my way we would have 8 picks in the top 51 of a draft where afterwards it gets slim pickings. 2011 here we come!

•   Note: At This stage Kreuzer is my number one pick. He is going to be an outstanding, outstanding footballer. Mids can be found later in drafts as we all know.

•   Let’s prey that Carlton and Melbourne pick up soon.

•   We cannot afford to win games if it to the detriment of the priority pick, pick 1 and first pickings at the rookie and PSD’s draft selections.

•   I can hear the sleeping giant about to waken!

•   If we follow a similar structure to the one above, we will exceed Collingwood, Hawthorn and Carlton by the length of the Flemington straight. In my eyes we would have the much greater player personnel.

•   2011 here we come.

•   Keep in mind many things can happen before the lead up to the draft. However the names mentioned are quality players and will further advance our mighty football club.

•   Enjoy reading! Most welcome to hear thoughts and comments.

•   Thanks in advance.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Draft Strategy
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 01:44:17 PM »
Welcome to OER evaluator. What an entrance  :).

Enter stage left Ramps  ;D

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 02:08:22 PM »
Love the analysis that you've put in but it's far too early to start this type of stuff however I'll give a few pointers on what I think back.  :thumbsup

As most would attest to, Richmond is required to rebuild now. We did not 2 years ago, and unfortunately Hawthorn and Collingwood have. They are not that far ahead of us and if we do things right, we could be ahead of both after the selections are made later in the year. 

We are rebuilding Eval.  Just that Hawthorn were already on that road before us and Collingwood have the power and were never really THAT down, they just lacked a little bit, we were a complete disaster zone.

A couple of points:
•   Richmond needs 2 Crash and Bash ruckmen for centre square work.  -  Just 1, Patto and Simmonds are just fine at the moment.
•   Richmond requires more 2 – way runners that hurt when we have the ball, and negate when other sides do. We have too many downhill skiers at present. Tambling, Deledio, Meyer, Howat, Pettifer, Tuck Schulz. All have big areas of concern. Can it be rectified? Not all of them. See below. We need in and under mids, like you'll see Tom Hislop, when he debuts for the Bombers very soon, gun inside mid-fielder that unbelievably dropped to 18.  I assume the Bombers are still playing him as inside mid.

This year’s crop. Not as deep this year, but quality will be found through to pick 40-50. We should trade accordingly.

Schulz: Trade with Doggies: For 3rd Round pick Cameron Faulkner, and Minson/Tim Walsh.  Good Lord no, Minson is not a thinker and that would just be another ruckman, also Schulz doesnt demand two players in return.  Should think about straight swap with Adelaide for Meyer or Schulz for Meeson.  If we dont get him we go for Kruezer, if we do, Cotchin it is.
Pettifer: Trade with St Kilda for 3rd round Pick. - Sounds Fair but I dont think Petts will go anywhere.
Tuck: Trade with Collingwood for 3rd round pick. - As much as I'd like to, no, remember how I said we lack inside mid-fielders?  Well while this one can dispose of the ball well at all, he gets down and dirty and we have no one to replace him in that area.  :banghead

Delist: These players will never win Richmond a premiership. On ya bikes! Can you do it all at once? Doubtful but I would for our assault in 2011 or was that 3011?

Jackson ( Writing is on the wall for Jacko, perform well for the remainder of the year or your time is up.)

Moore Probably too early to delist, give him a bit longer but needs to break into the senior team again for at least 5 more games to cement a spot for next year.

Howat  Possibly the next Tivendale (but a bit better) as much as I hate to put the mocker on him, Gets the ball very well, fails in the skills department, needs to develop some kind of opposite foot, still on rookie list anyway.  Get the feeling he'll be there next year.

Knobel  Knobs is expired, injury has knocked any chance of him continuing imo, as well as the possibility of a new number 1 pick ruckman, disposable.

Bowden. P  Tough call on Paddy, must get over these injuries and show something of the form he had last year, problem is the gameplan has moved to play on at all costs and thats why Bowden failed at the Bulldogs when Eade turned up.  It doesnt suit him.

Hyde  Probably not this year as alot more are in the firing line but must show more than his superior evasion skills, tries much more than alot of our team week-in week-out and that;s why I am I fan but but not a stayer.  Possibly one more year to plug holes in the list.

Krakeour  He's had time to develop and just doesnt do enough, Right in the firing line.

Graham  Rookie Ruckman, tough to say, still very early days for Gus but a drafted ruckman would really put the cat amongst the pigeons for him. :-\

Tivendale  We all wish but we know the amount of time he gets the ball gets noticed and that keeps him on the list, he wont be delisted.  Couldve been a superstar if he had a reliable kick, unfortunate.

Players in this years Championships:
GOING TO BASICALLY LEAVE THIS SECTION - TOO EARLY FOR THIS, BUT BELLCHAMBERS SHOULDNT BE TAKEN AT 18 IF KRUZER IS AT 1, FAR TOO RISKY TO GET TWO RUCKMEN WHEN WE DONT NEED THAT MANY.

I have stayed away from looking at interstate only Ebert, Masten are probably worthy. Some might improve also later. We do not want the go-home factor again. Re. Danny Meyer.

People can work out who the players play for themselves, or watch the carnival.

Midfield / Back flanks / Wings / Pockets. Nearly in order:

1.   Trent Cotchin
2.   James Polkinghorn
3.   Aaron Joseph ( I love this blokes aggression)
4.   Luke Potts
5.   Kane Smith
6.   Nicholas Peters
7.   Jackson Hall
8.   Kris Nye
9.   Scott Selwood
10.   Rory Sloane
11.   Ashley Arrowsmith
12.   Ricky Hurley

Ruckmen / Resting Forward Pockets.

1.   Matt Kreuzer
2.   Tom Bellchambers
3.   Will Sullivan
4.   Mark Wescott.

Spine / Utilities:

1.   Andrew Otten
2.   Matthew Lobbe
3.   Tobias Thoolen
4.   Hugh Sandilands
5.   Jeremy Laidler
6.   Shaun Dixon
7.   Callan Ward
8.   Tim Bongetti (coming off a knee. Is it sound?)

•   3 Ruckmen
•   2 KPP (preferably defenders)
•   3 mids
•   2 utilities

My selections long ways out from home are: Keep in mind I don’t think Carlton will win another 3 games.

2:          Matt Kreuzer / Trent Cotchin      (Ruck / mid)
18:         Bellchambers          (Ruck)
19:         Otten            (Spine / utility)
3rd round saints:      Polkinghorne         (Mid)
3rd round dogs      Thoolen            (Spine / utility)
3rd round Pies      Lobbe            (Ruck / Spine / utility)
35         Joseph            (Mid )
51      Hall            (Mid / utility)
67   Peters            (Mid / Rover)
83?   Nye            (Mid / Rover)

Rookies: Howat / Graham off: 2 of the players off the listed players still available after draft day named above.

I would like: Shaun Dixon and Mark Wescott / Nye.

So If I were to get my way we would have 8 picks in the top 51 of a draft where afterwards it gets slim pickings. 2011 here we come!

•   Note: At This stage Kreuzer is my number one pick. He is going to be an outstanding, outstanding footballer. Mids can be found later in drafts as we all know.   (We also know ruckman can RE: Cox, Sandilands.

•   Let’s prey that Carlton and Melbourne pick up soon.  ( Only Carlton, Melbourne wont be a hassle, they will click. Carlton wouldnt be a problem is Stevens was still in. I think we have 2-3 wins in us, maybe more if Brown and Simmo can get back and fit.)

•   We cannot afford to win games if it to the detriment of the priority pick, pick 1 and first pickings at the rookie and PSD’s draft selections. Doubt we'll win 4 but they should win 3 to make me happy.  :)

•   I can hear the sleeping giant about to waken!  Same, Exciting times.  I have Faith in Terry.

•   If we follow a similar structure to the one above, we will exceed Collingwood, Hawthorn and Carlton by the length of the Flemington straight. In my eyes we would have the much greater player personnel.  If JoN can hit his straps, if Meyer can show his true potential(which is HUUUUGE), same with Tambo, who I have no doubt will, and if Jack and one if either Hughes or Schulz can make that step up to 22 gamers, if Simmo, Browny and Cogs can get back to fitness and Thursty steps back to where he started we'll surprise alot of people next year.  :thumbsup

•   2011 here we come.  Amen

•   Enjoy reading! Most welcome to hear thoughts and comments.

•   Thanks in advance.

There ya go, look over them.  :thumbsup
EAT EM ALIVE!

Ramps

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 03:34:08 PM »
Welcome to OER evaluator. What an entrance  :).

Enter stage left Ramps  ;D

Im here lol...its May 31. the stockmarkets roaring. Its raining which is a good thing and the carnivals on in afew weeks.  ;D

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 03:47:35 PM »
Northern Knights captain Jack Grimes is another I reckon we should look at  :thumbsup

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 03:59:59 PM »
What's with the Northern Knights love this year?  :-\

Seems it's superstar city there.

Looking like having 3 of the top 10 draft picks from one team if the hype is correct.    ???
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 04:19:50 PM »
Wow.

Big entry to the forum there. 

Nice bit of analysis, but it is way, way to early to look at this stuff for me.

If I was a recriuter I would have to look at it but as a Richmond support I am more concerend about beating Brisbane this week.

Welcome aboard the good ship OER.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 04:28:55 PM »
What's with the Northern Knights love this year?  :-\

Seems it's superstar city there.

Looking like having 3 of the top 10 draft picks from one team if the hype is correct.    ???

Pat Vezpremi may also end up in the top 10

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 05:17:37 PM »

Personally wouldn't mind Dowler as he is a young tall, same goes for Meesen.

Charman for me is a no because I don't think he is going to leave Queensland

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 06:51:01 PM »
Richmond needs 2 Crash and Bash ruckmen for centre square work.
And that aren't injury prone. That's why I would avoid Charman. We also need 2 crash and bash onballers with good/decent foot skills. We only have Foley at the moment.

Richmond requires more 2 way runners that hurt when we have the ball, and negate when other sides do. We have too many downhill skiers at present. Tambling, Deledio, Meyer, Howat, Pettifer, Tuck Schulz. All have big areas of concern. Can it be rectified? Not all of them. See below.
A bit harsh on Lids. Tambo will be fine also in time. The others have question marks. Danny, Petts and Schulz have natural ability but need to work 1000 times harder; Howat is one-sided; and Tuck has poor foot skills and is one paced.

This year's crop. Not as deep this year, but quality will be found through to pick 40-50. We should trade accordingly.

Schulz: Trade with Doggies: For 3rd Round pick Cameron Faulkner, and Minson/Tim Walsh.
Pettifer: Trade with St Kilda for 3rd round Pick.
Tuck: Trade with Collingwood for 3rd round pick.
Probably what they are currently worth on current form but the question you have to ask is what chances are there that we will get a better player in return from a 3rd round pick in a draft that is only 40-50 deep.

Jackson, Moore, Howat, Knobel, Bowden. P, Hyde, Krakeour, Graham, Tivendale
Tivs won't be going anywhere IMO. No trade value yet still a better option that many of his teammates. Paddy has had a injury-interrupted year. The rest are at risk.

Commenting on U18 players at this stage is too early. Thoughts will change by year's end and after the U18 champs and draft camp. Think Mitch Clark who IIRC went into the start of last year as No 1 and slipped to 9. Kreuzer on current form is No 1 this year.

3 Ruckmen
 2 KPP (preferably defenders)
 3 mids
 2 utilities
At least one too many ruckmen and a big risk using both your first two picks on them. We really need to find a gun crash and bash onballer.

I'm happy for a cleanout but 10 picks in one draft is a lot. Plus late picks more often than not don't make it. Rainsey is an exception rather than the rule. I too wish we would develop a KPP (preferably a defender) on our rookie list. I didn't understand us not doing this this year but we need to next year. No point getting too many of the same player.

PSD: Target  Charman / Dowler / Meesan,  for mine.
Charman too injury prone. I can't see the Hawks or Crows letting go the other two. We've got to use this first PSD pick (if we get it) as leverage. Too early to judge.

Mids can be found later in drafts as we all know.
It's our midfield that is weak. In time as the youngster develop we may fix our lack of depth but we lack class as well. We need to find that class and you won't find that later in the draft.

• Let’s prey that Carlton and Melbourne pick up soon.

• We cannot afford to win games if it to the detriment of the priority pick, pick 1 and first pickings at the rookie and PSD’s draft selections.
Like Bluey, I can see the Dees winning games in the second half of the year but without Stevens Carlton is struggling big time.

This will sound dreadful but I hope once we do crack a win we don't all of a sudden get on roll with Browny and Simmo coming back in the second half of the season. We could finish ahead of the Dees, Blues and Lions and end up with only pick 5 and no priority pick after all the pain of so many narrow losses and 9 straight losses this year. Good for morale in the short-term but not for long-term list building.

I can hear the sleeping giant about to waken!

If we follow a similar structure to the one above, we will exceed Collingwood, Hawthorn and Carlton by the length of the Flemington straight. In my eyes we would have the much greater player personnel.

2011 here we come.
I'm still optimistic too in the long-term :thumbsup but we need to take our bad tasting medicine now to benefit in the long run. The draft system sux as it still encourages tanking (eg: Carlton possibly getting first pick) but we need to make use of it to our full advantage.

Ramps

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 10:02:19 PM »
Does anyone reckon that Dowler could make it at Full Back? He seems to be struggling at Hawthorn and we have some good forward talls. We need a Full Back- could he be converted successfully is a decent to ask the VFL watchers in here who have seen him.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 10:55:54 PM »
Does anyone reckon that Dowler could make it at Full Back? He seems to be struggling at Hawthorn and we have some good forward talls. We need a Full Back- could he be converted successfully is a decent to ask the VFL watchers in here who have seen him.
You've got to wonder how much that fractured hip has affected his ability to play footy.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 08:39:55 PM »

No, lacks the fire in the belly and when played down back looks most comfortable at CHB but we already have Polak.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 02:21:59 PM »

Personally wouldn't mind Dowler as he is a young tall, same goes for Meesen.

Some guy on PRE Rumour Page says that Dowler has been speaking with Miller a lot in the last month.

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 02:30:56 PM »
We were certainly very interested in Dowler at draft time and I'm sure we would be looking at a lot of talls around the league. We currently have close to the bare minimum of talls and we know that we will be minus at least a few more next year. It would be no surprise to see us targetting young KPPs and rucks who have been in the system 2 or 3 years as the draft is not meant to be that deep.