Author Topic: PSD targets / Who Will We Pick In PSD  (Read 50353 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
PSD prospect Brennan keen on Lions (The Age)
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2007, 08:29:42 PM »
Draft prospect Brennan keen on Lions
The Age
October 15, 2007 - 5:19PM

Talented Brisbane utility Jared Brennan is shaping as a potential top pick in this year's AFL pre-season draft but he remains keen to strike a new deal with the Lions.

Brisbane have so far been unwilling to meet the contract demands of the versatile 23-year-old, who has regularly shown flashes of brilliance hampered by inconsistency.

Brennan's manager Peter Whitehead said he had spoken with several clubs, including Richmond, who hold the No.1 pick in the pre-season draft, but it did not mean the player was definitely on the move.

"We're just considering our options," he said.

"He still wants to stay with his mates at the Lions ... the door's not closed on Brisbane at all.

"From a family perspective, he's got a young family, he's just looking at securing his family's future.

"But if that can not be worked out with the Lions, there are other options."

Richmond director of football Greg Miller indicated the Tigers would be able to afford Brennan, a former No.3 draft pick who will command a hefty wage bill should he nominate for the pre-season draft.

"We had room for Chris Judd," Miller said when asked if there was room for Brennan under the club's salary cap.

"It appears (Brennan would be the best available player should he nominate for the draft), but I haven't examined the whole list yet as to who's uncontracted and who's available.

"The pre-season draft is about insurance to your list and improving your list in deficiency areas.

"We'll examine all the uncontracted players and weigh them up to see who best suits our list."

Miller also refused to rule out the Tigers chasing sacked Carlton skipper Lance Whitnall.

He was shown the door by the Blues at the weekend - the club telling the 28-year-old they didn't believe his degenerative knee injury would allow him to train often enough to play at his best.

Doctors are believed to have advised Whitnall, who won the club's best and fairest in 2006, that he would only be able to train once a week.

"I haven't spoken to the senior coach yet and he will determine once the national draft is finished who is the best player to help our list," Miller said.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Draft-prospect-Brennan-keen-on-Lions/2007/10/15/1192300673827.html

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: PSD targets
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2007, 08:35:03 PM »
No idea , all i have seen is a thread on bigfooty which seems to suggest he hasnt re signed yet..
He will probably re sign but you would hope we would least have a go..

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2007, 08:51:25 PM »
Previous first PSD picks over the past decade:

1998: Jamie Shannahan
1999: David Calthorpe
2000: Shane O'Bree
2001: Brett Voss
2002: Pass (next player was Aaron Lord)
2003: Stephen Powell
2004: Jade Rawlings
2005: Trent Knobel
2006: Dylan McLaren
2007: Cain Ackland

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2007, 10:03:02 PM »
No idea , all i have seen is a thread on bigfooty which seems to suggest he hasnt re signed yet..
Yep HB you would hope we'd have a go at him. Rutten would be exactly the type of bigger-bodied key defender we need. 24 years old too so not too old either.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2007, 10:28:38 PM »

Slim pickings when you look at that list.

If Brennan re-signs with the Lions, we'll probably end up with a choice between Guy Richards or Kepler Bradley  :-\.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2007, 10:41:54 PM »

Slim pickings when you look at that list.

If Brennan re-signs with the Lions, we'll probably end up with a choice between Guy Richards or Kepler Bradley  :-\.

It scares me I'd pick Kepler given that situation.  :o
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Show me the money, or I'll walk, says Brennan (The Age)
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2007, 04:02:23 AM »
Show me the money, or I'll walk, says Lion
Michael Gleeson and Karen Lyon | October 16, 2007

A QUEUE of clubs has formed to claim out-of-contract Lion Jared Brennan who remains insistent on Brisbane meeting improved financial terms or he will walk from the club through the pre-season draft.

Richmond, with first pick in the pre-season draft and space under the salary cap made to accommodate Chris Judd, is now poised to be able to claim Brennan for nothing in the draft should he choose to leave the Lions.

Brennan grew up following Essendon and remains good friends with Mal Michael and Gary O'Donnell, so the Bombers would be his first choice of alternative clubs were he to be given the indulgence of choice. But the chances of him appearing in red and black are remote with four clubs ahead of them in the pre-season draft.

Richmond and the Western Bulldogs yesterday contacted Brennan's manager Peter Whitehead to express their interest in the former No. 3 draft pick while Melbourne and Carlton are both also interested.

Whitehead said Brennan's first preference was to remain at Brisbane but, with a young family, was keen that his next three-year deal was on the best money possible.

Essendon has already put a three-year offer of more than $900,000 to Brennan, which was believed to be significantly more than the Lions were offering. Richmond, by offering similar or better terms, could be able to entice the enigmatic key position player into moving.

"Jared would like to stay at the Lions with his mates but he also realises he has a young family and needs financial security," Whitehead said.

"The Lions have offered him thee years and Essendon has offered him three years and Richmond and the Western Bulldogs have both expressed their interest in him. So Jared has to decide what he wants to do.

"He would like it resolved as soon as possible because he is now in a situation where the lease on the place he is residing comes up at the end of the month and he wants to know what he is doing.

"If he had to leave and he had a choice of clubs there is a sentimental attachment to Essendon because he grew up barracking for them for what that is worth, but he knows Mal Michael and Gary O'Donnell so there is a connection there. But obviously you don't always get to choose these things.

"It is a serious consideration that he go into the pre-season draft. We would not be in this situation if it wasn't."

Richmond football director Greg Miller said the Tigers were very interested in Brennan in the pre-season and, having made room to accommodate Judd in the eventuality that no deal was struck in the trade period with Carlton and he entered the pre-season draft, they have significant space in the salary cap to offer an attractive deal.

"We'll examine all the uncontracted players and weigh them up to see who best suits our list," Miller said, adding "we had room for Chris Judd," when asked if they had room under the salary cap for Brennan.

"It appears (Brennan could be the best available player) but I haven't examined the whole list yet."

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/brennan-seeks-more-money/2007/10/15/1192300684402.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brennan wants to join Essendon (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2007, 04:04:06 AM »
Brennan wants to join Essendon
16 October 2007   Herald Sun
Mark Robinson and Mark Stevens

FLAMBOYANT Brisbane forward Jared Brennan wants to play for Essendon if he nominates for the pre-season draft.

His wish, however, appears ambitious.

The problem for both Brennan and Essendon is that the Bombers have pick No. 5, behind Richmond (No. 1), Melbourne (No. 2) and the Western Bulldogs (No. 4), who have all expressed interest in the Lion through his manager Peter Whitehead.

Carlton, too, with pick No. 2 is also in the financial position to meet Brennan's demands.

As of yesterday, it seems increasingly likely Brennan will stay at Brisbane.

The Lions put a three-year offer to the left-footer on Friday, which he is considering. "It hasn't been to agreed to at this stage," Whitehead said.

The Dons' offer, estimated to be about $1 million over three years, is better financially.

If Brennan rejects Brisbane's offer, he will put a price on his head in the pre-season in a bid to land at Windy Hill.

The Lions refused to deal him to Essendon in trade week.

Whitehead confirmed Brennan's choice would be Essendon. "Yes they are . . . at this stage," he said.

Asked about the chances of Brennan getting to Essendon in the pre-season, he said: "Strange things happen, so we'll just see what unfolds."

The Bulldogs, who also courted Brennan last week, spoke to Whitehead yesterday.

"They haven't put anything to me yet. They touched based today, said they were very keen so we'll see how it unfolds," Whitehead said.

He said Brennan would hopefully make a decision within a fortnight.

"He's keeping his options open," Whitehead said.

"At the end of the day he would like to stay with his mates in Brisbane, but he's also mindful about securing his family's future.

"He's got a young family, and if he has to move to Melbourne so be it."

The Tigers, too, are hunting an out-of-contract player with their No. 1 choice.

Asked if the Tigers had room under the salary cap for Brennan, Miller said yesterday: "We had room for Chris Judd."

Miller said Brennan would appear the most attractive pre-season draft prospect.

The Tigers are compiling a list of possible targets.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22591546%255E19742,00.html

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2007, 06:07:40 AM »
brennan is just playing the bidding game. he is just stalling his time to put pressure on the lions to pay him more. he wont leave , he is fos like hooper, just trying to get the best deal for himself. the only way he will leave is if brisbane has already used up most of its cap and cant pay him more, but i bet they come up with some "arrangement"

Tigermonk

« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2007, 06:10:00 AM »
nice avitar X  ;D

agree on Brennen

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2007, 06:11:34 AM »
nice avitar X  ;D

agree on Brennen

i knew u would like it!  ;D

u r up early monk?

Tigermonk

« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2007, 06:14:40 AM »
yeah mate busy day  ;D

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2007, 08:59:34 AM »
Yep HB you would hope we'd have a go at him. Rutten would be exactly the type of bigger-bodied key defender we need. 24 years old too so not too old either.

IMO he'd be a more important acquisition to our team than Judd.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2007, 01:46:26 PM »

IMO he'd be a more important acquisition to our team than Judd.
Rutten is out of contract but Crows fans think it'll be just a formality for him to re-sign. He may even be given the Adelaide captaincy now that Ricciuto has retired.

FooffooValve

« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2007, 03:00:57 PM »
Fergus Watts worth a look? Would probably be eligible to rookie, not sure, but I'd take a punt on him. Saints obviously felt that a Kosi / Watts forward line was looking too cumbersome, but I reckon he might come good with time. The book on him is that he is slow and not great at ground level, but that may be due to (now resolved) ankle problems.

Thoughts?