Author Topic: Taking off the Blinkers  (Read 2906 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Taking off the Blinkers
« on: August 05, 2007, 10:32:05 PM »
I was sitting down at the hell hole yesterday with some friends and we were discussing our season from hell and we then got on to the subject of our list.

All I've read and heard from the so called experts over the past few weeks is how bad our list supposedly is. I've also read from posters here about how bad the list is.

For me at least there were some promising signs yesterday despite the result. And if people could look past their fixation with bagging Wallace, Miller and everything else you may have noticed it too.

First up the average age of our team yesterday was 23.5 and that is because we had 3 players aged 29, one aged 28 and of course Richo at 32. Take them out and the average of our team yesterday was 21 and that included 2 blokes aged 25.

Coupled with the ages we had 12 blokes who had played less than 60 games. Take out Lids and we had 11 who had played under 50 games.

We've cried out for the kids to be played guess what... they are being played.

If anyone noticed (and I doubt very much the TV would have bothered with it) but during the 2nd & 3rd quarters our back line was made up of 5 blokes 23 or under. That people was our future on display and guess what they did a super job.

Why? Because the Cats didn't get their goals from their forwards the came from the mid-field and S Johnson (who had Newman stumped :-\). Ablett. N, was beaten easisly by McGuane, Mooney was beaten (don't want to gloat but thrashed would be more apt) by Thursfield.

Tambling was given a more defensive role in the 2nd half and his efforts were rewarded. It was great to see him put in the 2nd & 3rd efforts in the chasing and tackling department. It's a slow process but the signs are there that he will be a player.

Brett Deledio showed great leadership yesterday - that hand is not right but he showed up and played a good solid game. Hell Geelong obviously rate him because they started Ding-a-Ling on him.

What about Foley - how good is he going to be? I'd say pretty good because Ding-a-Ling got moved onto him

Gus Graham - sure alot to learn but the improvement in this kid in the last 18 months is extraordinary 

Daniel Connors - anyone out there not impressed with what they've seen so far ???

Add the other kids running around at Coburg - eg Clingan things aren't that grim. 

Shane Edwards, Jack Reiwoldt, Jake King - improving every week - what more do we want.

From where I am sitting there is lot ot look forward to with more kids onthe way :thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Taking off the Blinkers
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 10:42:32 PM »
 :clapping :bow

Good on you WP.

Spot on the money.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Moi

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 10:46:45 PM »
The trouble with a post like that, is you go to so much effort and it's like talking to a brick wall.  Ppl will just see what they wanna see!

Well said and I agree with everything  :thumbsup

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 07:11:06 AM »
we have said it all along wp, the  kids are not the problem

its the senior group

whats the point in playing seniors that offer nothing, no skill, nio leadership, no inspiration

if terry had half a clue , from rnd 12 onwards he would have gone full on youth and let richo, tiv, joel, sugar and tuck all pl;ay the yr out in coburg

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 08:05:15 AM »

if terry had half a clue , from rnd 12 onwards he would have gone full on youth and let richo, tiv, joel, sugar and tuck all pl;ay the yr out in coburg

And then you'd be screaming because we'd be losing by 300 points every week. You can't have it both ways. TW plays a team where over 50% of the players have played less than 50 games and you bag him for:
A. not being able to coach
B. not playing kids.

This team has played all year with their number 1 ruck being a 21 year old kid in his 3rd year and who's been in the centre with him...among others Foley, Tambling, Deledio, Edwards, King et al...all with less than 60 games experience.

TW has been doing exactly what posters have been screaming out for for years...playing a heap of kids. Everyone puts the Hawks up as benchmarks....but until this years they were getting pumped playing their kids, just like we are now. It wasn't long ago that Luke Hodge was faring very badly in comparison with Judd and Ball. Ah footy supporters...short term memories.

Yes let's sack Wallace and bring in Sheedy whose record over the last 3 years is likely to see Essendon finish in the bottom 4 for the third year running if they play like they did yesterday and of course their list is SOOOOO much better than ours...but don't let facts interfere with a 'feel good' story.

Rant finished.

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 08:17:23 AM »
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience. Otherwise, good points BG25  :thumbsup :rollin
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 08:21:07 AM »
Yep Fwoy...you just reminded me why I don't post that often :lol :lol

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 08:22:50 AM »

And then you'd be screaming because we'd be losing by 300 points every week. You can't have it both ways. TW plays a team where over 50% of the players have played less than 50 games and you bag him for:
A. not being able to coach
B. not playing kids.

This team has played all year with their number 1 ruck being a 21 year old kid in his 3rd year and who's been in the centre with him...among others Foley, Tambling, Deledio, Edwards, King et al...all with less than 60 games experience.

TW has been doing exactly what posters have been screaming out for for years...playing a heap of kids. Everyone puts the Hawks up as benchmarks....but until this years they were getting pumped playing their kids, just like we are now. It wasn't long ago that Luke Hodge was faring very badly in comparison with Judd and Ball. Ah footy supporters...short term memories.

Yes let's sack Wallace and bring in Sheedy whose record over the last 3 years is likely to see Essendon finish in the bottom 4 for the third year running if they play like they did yesterday and of course their list is SOOOOO much better than ours...but don't let facts interfere with a 'feel good' story.

Rant finished.

wrong

we would not   be screaming cos we would all know we are in full on rebuilding mode

never hurt the saints!

we are getting thrashed anyway so whats ur point, and u will find teh reason we are getting thumped is not the kids, its the senior mob!

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience. Otherwise, good points BG25  :thumbsup :rollin

ever looked in the mirror lately?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 09:53:02 AM by xXx »

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 08:31:52 AM »
Yep Fwoy...you just reminded me why I don't post that often :lol :lol

what they said!!! :clapping

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 08:51:13 AM »

No, but I saw your webcam earlier...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zuhk2j4vCs
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline Babsky

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 09:12:38 AM »
he he he ... this is hilarious :lol

Tigermonk

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 09:23:51 AM »
you see the mistakes them kids are making who is teaching them to make them decisions
duh must be the senior players & the coaches  :clapping

Tigermonk

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 09:25:57 AM »

someone shoot that german his nuts

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 09:53:56 AM »

nice try, but i dont webcam ! u lose

Tigermonk

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 09:55:57 AM »
he looked to much of a whitey anyway ex & no gangster in him lol  ;D  :cheers big ears