Author Topic: Cogs thread [merged]  (Read 6227 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Cogs thread [merged]
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 04:31:21 PM »
Expect nothing and we might be surprised but I have my doubts. The statistics are not on his side unfortunatrely.
Agree Magic about what our expectations should be about Cogs next year. I still think, on the condition his knee does hold up, he'll be a handy bit player. A Tiger with footy smarts who at least will allow Foley periods of rest during a game from what we have now where Axel has to win the ball for us all by himself. We also should be drafting a ballwinner too like a Masten from WA as well as putting the onus on the cubs who've been around for 3-4 years to bust a gut over preseason and step up in the midfield next year as Foley has done.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 06:11:49 PM »
draga had far superior skill and class than cogs. if draga didnt have bad luck with his knees he would have been a superstar

cogs, im sorry to say, should be delisted. hos knees are good, but not just that he has had a whole career marred by injury

as its been said, we are not a charity, and nor shoudl we feel sorry for him.

thats life, thats footy , move on and cogs should be gone, but the tigers will keep him because we are the only team to fails to make hard decisions

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 07:37:39 PM »
Reckon the AFL should have some consideration for long term injuries in the salary cap.

Realistically if we are playing the odds, we should probably send him packing, which is pretty heartless. But if we could pay him 100% of his contract next season and only be charged at 80% towards the salary cap it might make it a bit easier for everyone.

Thinks that's a pretty good idea Jake.

You could you use it in place of a "veterans" spot on the list. That is instead of having someone listed as a veteran, place a person like cogs on the list - same rules regarding salary cap etc would apply 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 10:15:32 PM »
Reading back some of my posts today, on the face of it they seem pretty heartless.

However the reality is Coughlan has missed a large amount of football the past three seasons through injury.
He's probably the most injury prone player I can ever remember at Richmond despite his age.

It's unfortunate what has happened to him and I feel for the guy but the Draga comparisons are relevant.
As far as absence through injury is concerned Cogs is no Richo or James Hird.
It's a big risk to persevere with him after TWO recos and a history of groin and ankle problems. A big risk.

If he struggles to get through intense medicals, then we should cut our losses and go with another fresh face.
The last thing I want to see is Coughlan signed and continuing to struggle, leaving us a player down.
How does that help us whatsoever??????

Look at Connors last weekend as a case in point. Tragedy creates opportunity.
We need to move on.

Sad as it is, the reality is Coughlan won't ever be the same and isn't going to make the difference to our team that some of the faithful hope

I want Richmond to be a ruthless powerhouse again. Not a charity case.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 10:31:33 PM »
And like clockwork . . . . . :lol  :thumbsup

Coughlan nears training return

Blah, blah..

Forgive my skepticism about media releases that come out of the club re player injuries. Their track record over the past few years speaks for itself.

IMO the club should be looking to move on from the likes of Coughlan, Tuck & Johnson altogether.
Even when Cogs was semi fit last season he was not having the impact of the elite onballers of the competition. No where near it.
His best was behind him as he struggled with groin and ankle injuries which often resulted in shocking disposal. Many forget this it seems.

I would hope the club is setting it's focus on the Foley's, Connors, Edwards, Tamblings, Deledios, Cotchins etc.. of this world and cutting it's loses with a midfield that is both slow and has poor disposal over a long period. 25 or not Coughlan is not going to get any faster after his injury in a game that has increased in pace significantly over the past two years.

However if Cogs is in fact signed, which knowing Miller is likely, it should be with zero expectations from supporters.
With that comes a one year contract at moderate wages with the option for another if his knee holds together.

He will be nothing more than a bit player in his first season back from a double reco. Virtually a project player as he spends the year readjusting himself to the intensity of AFL football again. Hadley up north is a case in point.

Expect nothing and we might be surprised but I have my doubts. The statistics are not on his side unfortunatrely.

That's exactly what I'd ask of Cogs too.

1 year contract, performance based, moderate wages, leading to high with amount of games played.  We have to protect ourselves.

I'm of the opinion that we cant miss a chance that this bloke gets back to full health because he was quality.

The 1 year contract is a must and if he refuses and wanted more I'd be moving much more in your direction Mr Magic.

EAT EM ALIVE!

retygas

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 08:13:14 AM »
1 year contract, performance based, moderate wages, leading to high with amount of games played.  We have to protect ourselves. I totally agree with this statement.
I would without a doubt delist Johnson and the next is Tambling. I know he has signed on again but we have to throw that money down the drain, as he's at best a VFL player and has no rights to be on an AFL team from what he has shown us every week. But I bet if we did he would then play his best footy somewhere else. Richo would be there, Yer I know you all say he a champ. But he's also a champ of the dummy spits too.
I would try to keep spme of the young ones as these are our future. Sut back watch all the young ones and if they don't put in them goodbye but not just one game the sign them back on  for 3 years like Tambling.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 08:52:39 AM »
Reading back some of my posts today, on the face of it they seem pretty heartless.

However the reality is Coughlan has missed a large amount of football the past three seasons through injury.
He's probably the most injury prone player I can ever remember at Richmond despite his age.

It's unfortunate what has happened to him and I feel for the guy but the Draga comparisons are relevant.
As far as absence through injury is concerned Cogs is no Richo or James Hird.
It's a big risk to persevere with him after TWO recos and a history of groin and ankle problems. A big risk.

If he struggles to get through intense medicals, then we should cut our losses and go with another fresh face.
The last thing I want to see is Coughlan signed and continuing to struggle, leaving us a player down.
How does that help us whatsoever??????

Look at Connors last weekend as a case in point. Tragedy creates opportunity.
We need to move on.

Sad as it is, the reality is Coughlan won't ever be the same and isn't going to make the difference to our team that some of the faithful hope

I want Richmond to be a ruthless powerhouse again. Not a charity case.

spot on magic!

Tigermonk

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 09:04:13 AM »
Good post there Mr magic & brackets
all we can do is see what comes of it & chat about it more as he makes his comeback but l agree with you guys  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Cogs back training today
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2007, 04:19:03 PM »
Cogs joined the main group for most of the non-contact drills today. He looked fine running and kicking the footy. Good to see him back  :thumbsup.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2007, 08:07:26 PM »
Cogs joined the main group for most of the non-contact drills today. He looked fine running and kicking the footy. Good to see him back  :thumbsup.

That's good news.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2007, 05:54:14 PM »
If anyone comes back after 2 knee recos it'll be Cogs. Mentally tough plus!

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2007, 06:52:43 PM »
Meh, the Draga comparisons aren't valid, they're based on potential and what people wish he would have been. He did his knee so early that he hadn't shown anywhere near what Coughlan had, sure he might have been very good but we'll never know, he might have been very ordinary too.

Coughlan's disposal issues are massively overstated, I hope we hang on to him for a long time because he'll make the side a lot better. With the right midfield balance it doesn't matter that he doesn't kick like Buckley. Having a higher class of inside guys will make it a heck of a lot easier for guys like Deledio and Tambling to play their more natural games.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2007, 06:55:35 PM »
Meh, the Draga comparisons aren't valid, they're based on potential and what people wish he would have been. He did his knee so early that he hadn't shown anywhere near what Coughlan had, sure he might have been very good but we'll never know, he might have been very ordinary too.

Coughlan's disposal issues are massively overstated, I hope we hang on to him for a long time because he'll make the side a lot better. With the right midfield balance it doesn't matter that he doesn't kick like Buckley. Having a higher class of inside guys will make it a heck of a lot easier for guys like Deledio and Tambling to play their more natural games.

ditto  :clapping

Tigermonk

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2007, 07:23:03 PM »
Draga got BOG last week the man is burning the grass in the SANFL  :clapping
might not have been able to withstand AFL but his a great footballer in the lower level

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2007, 10:19:36 PM »

Coughlan's disposal issues are massively overstated, I hope we hang on to him for a long time because he'll make the side a lot better.
I call it as I see it and I have no doubt his disposal was hampered by his history of groin injuries and was poor as a result. His kicking was inaccurate and lacked depth and penetration before he did the knee.
Hopefully the time off has allowed that to heal somewhat because it was an issue.

I hope he comes back but go and do some research on the number of players that have successfully come back from two recos and then reassess how confident you are that he's going to make the difference you suggest.