Author Topic: Cogs thread [merged]  (Read 6218 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Coughlan longing to slot back into Tigers' set-up (The Age)
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2007, 06:47:21 AM »
Coughlan longing to slot back into Tigers' set-up
Karen Lyon | December 16, 2007 | The Age

MARK Coughlan wants to play every game of football he can next year. He wants to play practice matches and pre-season games and he wants to start training with his teammates.

He wants to be there for the opening round of the 2008 season and he doesn't want to miss out on a single round of football.

It's no wonder, after two knee reconstructions and 18 months on the sidelines that Coughlan can't wait to be back. The Richmond midfielder is trying not to be too impatient. The the first knee reconstruction has taught him much about the process.

"I haven't been itching at the bit for too long because I would probably just wear myself out. In two or three months' time — that is when I will get the butterflies in my stomach," Coughlan said.

"I am really looking forward to the first game, whatever that is. Whether it's a practice match with the boys or a pre-season game, I'm just really looking forward to the first full game and even the first training session will be good."

The Tiger's enforced break started in round 12 of 2006 when he snapped his anterior cruciate ligament against Hawthorn. He was forced to sit out this year after the initial graft wore almost completely through and he was forced to undergo a second operation last February.

It is with a wry sense of humour that Coughlan suggests he has had a "good break" from the game. After "dragging" his feet for a couple of months, he decided to look for different ways to motivate himself and teammates.

Coughlan ventured into business, testing out his degree and spent time travelling through Asia and the US. He also turned his mind to guiding younger teammates.

Much of his time has been spent in the pool or the gym strengthening his legs. He has been running for the past four months and wants to build his fitness levels. With the game changing in his absence, Coughlan has looked to where he could make improvements.

"I think the game has virtually changed in the time that I have been playing and particularly in the last two years," he said. "It's getting quicker, and bodies aren't as big. You really do need that running capacity to get around the ground and it's not just in the midfield, it's all over the ground.

"I have tried to lose a little bit of weight and get myself ready for that side of things."

Much of Coughlan's determination to get back to the game centres around his teammates. He credits them with keeping him motivated during his hiatus and says the chance to be part of Richmond's emerging midfield excites him.

In 2007, the Tigers were without most of their midfield leaders, as Coughlan was joined in the stands by Nathan Brown — still feeling the effects of his broken leg — and ruckman Troy Simmonds, who was diagnosed with a blood clot on the lung.

Coughlan said the lack of senior players created unfair pressure on young stars.

"I can't wait to get out there and really help some guys who really took a lot of heat last year in the midfield, guys like Brett Deledio and Nathan Foley and those sort of guys — and Trent Crotchin, it won't take him long to get in there, as well."

After two knee reconstructions in two seasons it would only be normal to have doubts about his future, but the one-time Tigers best and fairest has come full circle from the early days after his second operation when he thought his career might be over.

"This time, I just have confidence in this knee. Having the last one and (doubting) how that felt, even in day-to-day activities I just felt this one was strong and that I would be able to get back."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/coughlan-wants-into-tigers-setup/2007/12/15/1197568333136.html

richmondrules

Re: Coughlan longing to slot back into Tigers' set-up (The Age)
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2007, 07:11:46 AM »
"I can't wait to get out there and really help some guys who really took a lot of heat last year in the midfield, guys like Brett Deledio and Nathan Foley and those sort of guys — and Trent Crotchin, it won't take him long to get in there, as well."

lol

Good luck Cogs, we're a better team with you in.  :clapping

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2007, 11:22:47 AM »
Will believe it when I see it.

Good luck Cogs.

Ox

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2007, 01:01:10 PM »
 :lol

Offline sabartooth

• Big Griff's Official Mentor !
  • Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2007, 02:43:32 PM »
he's a good tough player we need in the middle to get the ball out to our young running type players . he is also a fairly good kick for goal if i remember correctly! :gotigers
2 years into a 35 year plan

Offline sabartooth

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2007, 02:47:09 PM »
lf cogs plays all year can you see johnson getting a game and who should be 08  tiger captain    (newman)         :gotigers

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2007, 04:13:55 PM »

lol

Good luck Cogs, we're a better team with you in.  :clapping

i didn't see what was so funny  ???

richmondrules

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2007, 04:58:12 PM »
Trent Crotchin

Sorry bluey. A bit juvenile I know. An amusing misspelling. My lol had nothing to do with football. Lids, Cogs, Foley, Cotchin sounds like the beginnings of a good midfield to me.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 05:15:03 PM by RROFO »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2007, 07:22:27 PM »
Deliberate typo?  :wallywink

One thing that stands out for me is that we have missed as a team that attitude of being hungry. Cogs has that hunger.

Interesting Cogs openly admits the game has changed and that he needs to add more running and speed. He'll need to do plenty of leg work anyway to strengthen the knee. Hopefully the time off due to his knee has allowed his groin to settle down too. He struggled to kick over 40m at one stage.

Cogs also has Lids in the midfield when there's been talk of Lids spending a fair bit of time up forward next year. Agree with Cogs. We need our best players to be where the ball needs to be won - in the midfield.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2007, 09:32:29 PM »
Trent Crotchin

Sorry bluey. A bit juvenile I know. An amusing misspelling. My lol had nothing to do with football. Lids, Cogs, Foley, Cotchin sounds like the beginnings of a good midfield to me.

sorry  ;D skiming over the article must of missed it lol

Offline sabartooth

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2007, 02:26:30 AM »
lf cogs plays all year can you see johnson getting a game and who should be 08  tiger captain    (newman)         :gotigers

give us some feedback . surely johnson is going to struggle to get in our best side so its time to look for a new captain and l think Newman and Bowden are the best choices . :banghead

Ox

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2007, 03:32:08 AM »
what r u exoecting guys?

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2007, 10:53:04 AM »
Coughlan before his injury was becoming a slow and predictable player racking up 30 plus possies a game and doing very little with them. His bombs into the forward line were always putting our forwards under pressure. If he has improved his speed and kicking then he will be a valued inclusion. If he is still the same Coughlan as he was pre-injury then he will need to lift substantially if he is going to get off the pine.

WMC

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2007, 10:58:08 AM »
 :clapping   Cannot wiat for Cogs to return i cannot forget about how good of a player he is. He will play a big part in the middle and provide more options rotations etc. :gotigers Bye the way i am new at this forum  mind my mistakes as i go along.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2007, 06:54:43 PM »
Welcome to OER WMC.

what r u exoecting guys?
I'm just hoping Ox Cogs can get through the year. He doesn't have to star but his presence in the team should take some of the weight off Foley who'll be heavily tagged.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd