Author Topic: Cogs thread [merged]  (Read 6226 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Coughlan longing to slot back into Tigers' set-up (The Age)
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2007, 09:43:47 PM »
what r u exoecting guys?

I'll be honest and say not very much

Perhaps 15 odd games. It will be interesting to see how he copes with the added pace of the game. He wasn't quick by foot before - so that's what I am interested in

I would think coming off 2 reco's you cannot expect too much.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2007, 03:07:03 AM »
what r u exoecting guys?

I'll be honest and say not very much

Perhaps 15 odd games. It will be interesting to see how he copes with the added pace of the game. He wasn't quick by foot before - so that's what I am interested in

I would think coming off 2 reco's you cannot expect too much.

Agree totally.

It's no secret that statistically the game was 10% faster in 2006 than the previous year.
Coughlan will struggle big time for pace next year IMO.

If he can muster 10-15 games it will have been a steady result in his recovery from a dual reco.
Look for better things in '09 hopefully. :pray

In saying that fingers crossed he does better than I expect obviously.

Very unlucky with injury has been Cogs. Testament to how hard he plays the game.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2007, 08:53:58 PM »
Very unlucky with injury has been Cogs. Testament to how hard he plays the game.
:thumbsup

It didn't help at the time (2004) that we kept him playing on when clearly his groin problem was seriously hampering him. Although it seems it's what all clubs do as Ball and Judd kept on playing as a shadow of their former selves this year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cogs career reconstruction (Inside Football)
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2007, 06:14:45 PM »
Career Reconstruction
Inside Football
December 19, 2007

Forgotten Tiger Mark Coughlan is hastening slowly in his return from a second knee operation, writes Ben Casanelia.

After two knee reconstructions in less than 12 months, Mark Coughlan is under no illusions as to the status of his football career.

"After having two (recos) this I suppose is my last crack at it and we'll see how it goes," the 2003 Tigers best and fairest winner said.

"That's the attitude I've got. Things can only get better, so the only outcome has to be positive.

"I have no fears in coming back, and if anything happens again, then it happens."

If the unmentionable does occur, it would almost certainly end Coughlan's career - a career that was giving success-starved Tiger fans something to cheer about until a fateful freezing June day in 2006 at York Park against Hawthorn when his knee went for the first time.

He underwent reconstructive surgery for the second time in February this year after the knee felt unstable and "not right".

"I just knew it wasn't going to hold up so it was better to get it right and come back in 2008," he said.

Despite the injury woes Richmond football manager Greg Miller moved to re-sign Coughlan for two years in a testament to the regard with which his football club hold its tough midfielder.

The deal surprised even Coughlan, "I was a little bit nervous coming out of contract this year bit they've shown faith in me and signed me up again.

"That gave me some real confidence. I wasn't expecting two years, I was hoping just to get a one-year deal.

"The good thing about that from my perspective is that it gives me every chance to come back in 2008 and get some level of confidence back and then have a crack at 2009 in terms of getting back to how I know I can play."

With so much on the line - both short and long term - for player and club, Coughlan is in the midst of a modified pre-season program during which he says he has experienced some soreness but "nothing unexpected".

"I'm holding back a bit because I've got plenty of time and I guess having learned from last pre-season I will try to be right come March, not December," he said.

"The best-case scenario is to get back and play some practice games bit at the same time I'm not planning in my own mind that I have to get back and do that.

"By the time the season comes around it will be well over 12 months since I had the second operation and I'd be disappointed if I wasn't up and going by then."

The 25-year old maintained a training regime while his teammates enjoyed an eight-week break and says his fitness is acceptable for someone who hasn't played in 18 months.

"I think everyone has to work at it," he said. "Some of the most talented players I've seen haven't made it for that very reason.

"I have to work at it like everyone else."

Coughlan is quietly confident he can rekindle his best and fairest form.

Seemingly overnight, and without player, he has become and elder statesman on the Richmond list.

At 25, only a handful of players outrank him in terms of age.

"It almost seems with a blink of an eye I've become a senior player and when you are that and you're sitting in the stands week after week, it is pretty hard," he said.

" All I could do was try to provide moral support and help out whenever I could,"

Coughlan saw plenty he says should encourage Tiger fans for the journey ahead.

The emergence of 2007 best and fairest winner [sic - runner-up behind Richo] Nathan Foley as a star midfielder, the development of key defenders Luke McGuane and Will Thursfield, the form of recruit Graham Polak and determination of ruckman Adam Pattison to keep persevering in tough times were all huge positives.

Coughlan believes the side has the capacity to turn things around quickly.

"We've been out of the spotlight to some degree over the pre-season. No one is expecting too much," he said.

"Within our group we have players now with two, three and four years experience and those guys I think are ready to step up. Geelong didn't have a great year in 2006 and came out and blitzed 2007 ... it can happen and we are just training hard to give ourselves every chance."

Coughlan's own excitement centres around lending a hand on the field for a change.

"I'm actually just excited about getting in amongst the midfield," he said.

"It was hard for those guys last season because they needed some more legs through there.

"I know it's going to take me some time but it's just good to be a lot closer to playing and getting back to feeling part of the footy club."

While many in the football world might have forgotten Mark Coughlan, Tiger fans certainly have not.

His toughness, ball winning ability and polish have been sorely missed. They will be a welcome return.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 12:19:06 AM by one-eyed »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Cogs career reconstruction (Inside Football)
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2007, 10:47:50 PM »
They're obviously being very cautious with Cogs which is good to hear. It'd be great if he could run out in round 1 but the main thing for Cogs is to see him through the season and hope his knee holds up.

Ox

Re: Cogs thread [merged]
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2007, 10:53:50 PM »
"I just knee it wasn't going to hold up so it was better to get it right and come back in 2008," he said.

wtf ?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2007, 12:23:12 AM »
"I just knew it wasn't going to hold up so it was better to get it right and come back in 2008," he said.

wtf ?

Blame my typing Ox. Fixed.

Ox

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2007, 12:38:28 PM »
lmao mt.

I figured it was a jounos typo.

No qualms when u do it :wallywink

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2007, 02:17:54 PM »
lmao mt.

I figured it was a jounos typo.

No qualms when u do it :wallywink
Yep I'm a typo king lol  :wallywink.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2007, 03:19:30 PM »
Cogs was never fast, if he looses a yard of pace and the game has quickened, I would hope it doesnt affect him too much. All reports reckon he is in solid nick, and should be able to run out games. He was always a pure old school center - quick between the ears, reads the game and knows how to get clearences.

If he can get anywhere near his 2003 form (he is only 25) I will be so much more exicted for this clubs future.