Author Topic: Wallace  (Read 24383 times)

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: Wallace
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2004, 03:31:40 PM »
Agree Tiger Spirit. There are a lot of people from all Richmond boards that I have been to that have expressed that Wallace is the cause of what appears to be a fiasco concerning the coaching appointments at two clubs. Wallace is NOT to blame for what is going on. The people who are creating the atmosphere is the MEDIA with stories and innuendos, it is then pushed and embelished by commentators, supposed experts and Message board posters and the whole affair turns into a circus of unknowns and false accusations and data.

Wallace isn't actually doing anything that any one of us wouldn't be doing if he was in his position, he has a right to choose the job or career path or direction he wants his life to follow. He has not made any huge statements or tried to put himself in the spot light, it is the MEDIA that have done this and he is being blamed for it which is WRONG.

Wallace may or may not have been a done deal before the Age article broke, but I can assure you that if it had of happened to me I would have been pretty angry and I can pretty confidently say that alot of you would have been too. Wallace would have been looking for a club that had some sort of resemblance of stability and trust. Breaking a story or leaking a story that should have been held in confidence doesn't do a lot for stability or trust in a group you are trying to do business with. That little scene actually opened the door for the Hawks to have a crack and Wallace is giving them that opportunity and so he should, It's not about playing one off against the other it is common sense and should be done.

I have my own theories on where this leak came from and it's not Casey or the current board (they have too much to lose by missing Wallace) even though I believe Casey should be removed. There were more people than just Casey and Miller that would have known how the Wallace negotiations were going, don't forget that Brian Wood was and is on this selection committee, and who do you think he reports to, not Casey.

Whether Wallace will come I don't know, he is the best credentialed coach out there in the market at this time and the best at Marketing his club which is a huge benefit to who ever gets him and I hope it's us. He is a victum of circumstance at this time, its a great money spinner for the Media and they will milk it for as much as they can get, If Eade had a profile as high as Wallace then It would be him and the same thing would be happening.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2004, 05:13:09 PM »
Exactly right about the Media Rodgerramjet.  What the media do with the information they get and what happens from thereon in can get out of control.

And once the leak was out, it was always going to become a soap opera.  The media would be loving it.  Except for maybe those at the Australian, of course, who just wish it would hurry up and come to the happy ending they said it would.

Had the leak not got out, you wonder how different things would have been.  RFC said that they were mindful of keeping things in-house, when they began looking for a new coach.  Had Wallace been assured of that secrecy/privacy when he began discussions with the Club then, as you say RR, he would have every right to have second thoughts about who he was getting involved with, when things got out before time.

What’s real and what’s not, only they truly know themselves, but it makes you think about the role the media plays in creating something out of nothing.  And perhaps the lengths those under scrutiny go to just to prove them wrong.

Back to the coaches, on SEN this morning they had a statistical comparison of the coaching records of Wallace and Eade.  I didn’t hear the whole thing, but from what I did hear, they were fairly even, with Eade maybe slightly ahead.

As you say, where Wallace comes out in front of other candidates is the media profile he has and his ability to sell his Club and his message.  And you can’t put a figure on what that is worth to a Club.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2004, 05:25:23 PM »
I have my own theories on where this leak came from and it's not Casey or the current board (they have too much to lose by missing Wallace) even though I believe Casey should be removed. There were more people than just Casey and Miller that would have known how the Wallace negotiations were going, don't forget that Brian Wood was and is on this selection committee, and who do you think he reports to, not Casey.

A caller rang in to SEN this morning blaming Casey and the Richmond committee for the Wallace leak. Patrick Smith said his information definitely didn't come from Casey and Co. Make of that what you will.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2004, 05:28:13 PM »
Exactly right about the Media Rodgerramjet.  What the media do with the information they get and what happens from thereon in can get out of control.

And once the leak was out, it was always going to become a soap opera.  The media would be loving it.  Except for maybe those at the Australian, of course, who just wish it would hurry up and come to the happy ending they said it would.

Had the leak not got out, you wonder how different things would have been.  RFC said that they were mindful of keeping things in-house, when they began looking for a new coach.  Had Wallace been assured of that secrecy/privacy when he began discussions with the Club then, as you say RR, he would have every right to have second thoughts about who he was getting involved with, when things got out before time.

What’s real and what’s not, only they truly know themselves, but it makes you think about the role the media plays in creating something out of nothing.  And perhaps the lengths those under scrutiny go to just to prove them wrong.

Back to the coaches, on SEN this morning they had a statistical comparison of the coaching records of Wallace and Eade.  I didn’t hear the whole thing, but from what I did hear, they were fairly even, with Eade maybe slightly ahead.

As you say, where Wallace comes out in front of other candidates is the media profile he has and his ability to sell his Club and his message.  And you can’t put a figure on what that is worth to a Club.

Correct. :thumbsup

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2004, 05:32:18 PM »

A caller rang in to SEN this morning blaming Casey and the Richmond committee for the Wallace leak. Patrick Smith said his information definitely didn't come from Casey and Co. Make of that what you will.

I'm with Smith on this one.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Don Scott has backed off apparently
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2004, 05:55:09 PM »
From Hawk Headquarters:

just heard hutchy, on a show called, up country punt,don scott has backed off alltogether,hutchy broke the news to tim watson and billy brownless,says this puts the whole terry wallace thing back into the melting pot.

Hutchy's not such a reliable source but neverless not good news for us  :-\.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2004, 06:35:20 PM »
Fairdinkum this is worse than marlin fishing :scream

froars

« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2004, 09:45:47 PM »
Wallace has a guarantee of support from both factions, even though he hasn't spoken to Clinton Casey's challenger, Brendan Schwab.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,10358620-23209,00.html

Anyone think this would be a great opportunity for Schwab to put his hand up as a leader and had a meeting with Wallace before Monday to allay any fears of instability at the club.  To me, he should be in his ear this weekend and i will be very disappointed if he doesn't do everything in his power to do as such.  To me, it could clinch the deal if Wallace is worried about infighting to show that they will be behind him should the club appoint him.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 09:47:20 PM by froars »

Offline moe

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2004, 10:49:50 PM »
Rumor it might have been tj that leaked the story to patrick smith.. ;)

Ox

« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2004, 11:22:24 PM »
Rumor it might have been tj that leaked the story to patrick smith.. ;)

I'd believe that.

*Jewell telling Patricia Smythe*
"T-T-T-T-TT-T-Terry W-W-W-WW-W-Wallae I-I-Is a du-du-du-du-du-du-done deal.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Hawks to force Don Scott to an EGM to secure Wallace
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2004, 01:29:31 AM »
Hawthorn election may sway Wallace
07 August 2004   
Herald Sun
Mark Robinson

HAWTHORN plans to call a shock extraordinary general meeting in a bid to secure Terry Wallace as coach.

It's believed the Hawks want an election showdown with agitator and former board member Don Scott which they believe could strengthen their chances of signing Wallace and restore stability to the ailing club.

The Hawks believe Wallace will agree to coach in 2005 and beyond if Scott is off the radar.

Several club directors are angry Scott is jeopardising their bid for Wallace and plan to throw down the challenge: Put up or shut up.

The meeting could be called as early as Monday and an election held – if Scott can muster his forces – in 21 days.

Instead of waiting for a possible board challenge from Scott – which has hung over the club's head for several months – the Hawks would ask for a vote of confidence from members.

The annual general meeting would still be held in December.

It's understood Wallace is aware of Hawthorn's plans for an extraordinary general meeting and has indicated he could wait until after any election before deciding his future.

The Hawks, however, still hope Scott will abandon plans for any challenge.

Wallace, the club's first choice to replace Peter Schwab, met the Hawthorn board on Thursday and made it known he wouldn't work with Scott and wouldn't consider any offer while Scott loomed in the background.

It's believed Wallace is also Scott's preferred choice as coach, but he only wants to sign him to a two-year contract. The Hawks are considering a three or four-year offer.

The former Bulldogs coach is the most highly sought man in football with both Hawthorn and Richmond pitching for his services.

In view of Hawthorn's plans, the Tigers will undoubtedly up the ante in their bid for Wallace, who, it was reported earlier this week, had agreed to coach at Punt Rd, a report Wallace angrily denied.

A Hawks extraordinary general meeting is a win-win situation despite the estimated $50,000 cost.

It could deliver Wallace but, even if he did agree to terms with Richmond, the ploy would still end the warring at Glenferrie Oval.

As yet, Wallace has given no indication where his preference lies, and has claimed he might even continue working in the media with the Herald Sun, 3AW and Fox Footy.

Wallace told the Herald Sun on Thursday: "There's three parts to the equation: Richmond, Hawthorn and none of the above (and) none of the above is still a serious contender. If there's too many things that get in the way from making it the right vehicle, I'm not doing it."

An end to the political storm at the Tigers, tempered somewhat by the truce between president Clinton Casey and rival Brendan Schwab, also weighs on Wallace's decision.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10365922%255E20322,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2004, 02:15:07 AM »
Unless it is a done deal and all this is just for show  ??? then I'd reckon it's time to stick Wallace in the same room with all our youngsters - Cogs, Krakouer, Newman, Schulz, Jackson, Hartigan, Moore, etc plus Brown, Johnson, Bowden and Otto and emphasize that with early  picks 2, 5 and 21 plus a high PSD pick we have a good basis to develop a strong list that will be around for a number of years.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2004, 02:31:16 AM »
We shouldn't have to chase this prick. If he doesn't think that our list and base from which to build is good enough then he might as well coach Hawthorn. Good luck to him.

Bring on Eade.

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2004, 04:15:40 AM »
I agree JohnF

surely if he has to wait on Hawthorn to fix their mess then he doesnt want to coach us at all.

Why wait for Hawthorn? I dont understand....... seriously better off starting negotiations with Eade, someone with a record as good as Wallace and Rocket doesnt big note himself.
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2004, 10:56:45 AM »
If the report in the Age is correct then I believe that if Wallace is prepared to wait on a decision of a EGM at the Hawks then the Hawks have to be his preferred choice. Unfortunately we should be preparing for our second option, O'Donnel or Eade.