Author Topic: Age article on Ottens - "a better deal with each passing moment (for Geelong)"  (Read 9864 times)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
he was pretty far from our best player, he was dragging his heals, he didn't have his heart with us, he wanted success and more money and we weren't delivering either.

What absolute rubbish.
He was clearly one of our best players but was affected by injury.

Ottens was unfairly lambasted by Richmond supporters and there's still a lot of misplaced bitterness.
Another case of too much left to too few and our good players copping the flak for poor TEAM performance.
He's thrived at the Cats because they have good players around him where as we had hardly any.
A very big piece of their puzzle that's now won 3 flags.
So, as I said, he wanted success, and we weren't delivering, he wanted more money and he got offered less, He had 2 stuffing years of rehab on his back so spare me.  Richo was our best player.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
MT, it is actually much worse a trade than that. I heard the other week from a source very closely connected with the Cats that they first offered Stevie J and James Bartel and we knocked it back!

We wanted 2 first round picks with one pick in the top 10, we ended up with 12 & 16 and we all know what happened after that.

That's almost unbelievable.  :-[

Richo was our best player.

I said 'players' not player.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
What people forget is that Ottens sustained his injury falling out of a tree! He did it himself! It did not occur with him risking all on the footy field. The club had every right to ask him to accept a pay cut as he was on big money for doing SFA. He had also developed footdrop at the time and some medical opinion was that he may not regain full mobility again.
Let's not let facts get in the way of a good story!!!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Still vouch it was a very poor decision to move Ottens on, which we effectively did by reducing his contract.
Especially as he was about to enter his prime as a tall.
Good clubs don't shaft their best players but we did and got burned big time for doing so.
Just dumb.

Sorry Magic but absolute crap

Facts:

Prior to the final game of the season Ottens is on MMM sayign he wants to be a one club player and wants to stay at Richmond.. remember it soooooooooooooo well

New contract is put before him in the last week of the season which is more incentive based than his current deal. Means his base figunre is slightly reduced but if he meats all the incentives he will actually get paid more than his current deal

A week after the season finsihed he meets the club (read Miller & Tezza) and says he wants out

Who shafted who exactly?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
The bloke did a maxfield on us, simple as that, he chased some glory and some guaranteed dollars.  He didn't deliver straight away for Geelong either, has had long injured patches and in the end I believe we did the right thing, we certainly could not of afforded to carry him in the same way Geelong have, they had the depth in the end to cover his long absences I suppose.  At the end of the day he did what was best for himself, and I didn't even flinch when we traded him, the two picks were, given the circumstances, suitable, and we muffed them up at our end.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 12:17:07 PM by Owl »
Lots of people name their swords......

10 FLAGS

Its time to move on and look to the future. Hopefully with a couple new young players who can develop into A grade players.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
Most overrated player ever
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
Its time to move on and look to the future. Hopefully with a couple new young players who can develop into A grade players.

That's right we need to stop dwindling on the past. Otten's made his decision years ago now.  The club succeed in doing a trade for a couple of early pick but unfortunately it didn't work out for us.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy

bull poo. stop being bitter.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame

bull poo. stop being bitter.

Nup , not bitter at all mate. Next time I'll put IMO at the end of my post just for you

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
You are bitter. You're the most bitter person I have ever known... You wish he still played for us.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
You are bitter. You're the most bitter person I have ever known... You wish he still played for us.

Haha !  you are wrong on all counts my friend. Firstly you don't know me and as for Ottens , well , the bloke's had two or three reasonably good seasons in his whole career and generally only plays a handful of games per year. Was ok yesterday. That's all... and his opponent was on one leg but still got more hitouts. Was effing terrible in the GF loss to Hawthorn in 08 too.
 Yep , severely overrated IMO

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
Sorry, champ, but you've got NFI. Generally only plays a handful of games per year? He has played one season where he's played less than half the year. :lol he has played close to 250 games and is 31 :lol yep, obviously only plays a handful of games a year. ;D Two or three reasonable seasons :lol Biased, bitter ;D and pathetic are 3 words that sum you up well. ;D

Get a clue or go and support Freo like your old man did.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
Sorry, champ, but you've got NFI. Generally only plays a handful of games per year? He has played one season where he's played less than half the year. :lol he has played close to 250 games and is 31 :lol yep, obviously only plays a handful of games a year. ;D Two or three reasonable seasons :lol Biased, bitter ;D and pathetic are 3 words that sum you up well. ;D

Get a clue or go and support Freo like your old man did.

Brad Ottens total games missed over his career :

10  in his 1st season
10  in his 6th
7    in his 8th
6    in his 11th
16  in his 12th
7    in his 13th

I don't have the stats for this year but I'd say he's missed about 16 games.

Yep , soft, overrated spud.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 02:34:09 PM by one-eyed »

gerkin greg

I think we should all take a cool tool