Author Topic: 2008 Draw  (Read 12590 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: 2008 Draw
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2007, 07:00:41 PM »
where is teh "fairness" in that!
Pretty safe to say the draw isn't fair unless everyone plays everyone else H/A or the AFL brings in separate conferences. Of course neither will happen.

If we want a "fairer" draw ourselves then we're going to have to earn it ourselves by winning games.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2007, 11:09:21 PM »
On SEN, they were talking about us playing the Dees at the Dome. Someone forgot to tell Andy D that last year a crowd of over 60,000 turned up at the 'G. Both clubs have one bad year and it's off to the Dome  ::).

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2007, 12:13:38 AM »
On SEN, they were talking about us playing the Dees at the Dome. Someone forgot to tell Andy D that last year a crowd of over 60,000 turned up at the 'G. Both clubs have one bad year and it's off to the Dome  ::).

60,086 Round 15 2006 Friday night both teams in the 8 as I recall at the G.
46,161 Round 12 2007 Us winless Dees 2 wins albeit only Vic game that weekend but proved these two can draw a crowd.
How about Round 22 1998 sure we have bad memories crowd was 76000.
Shows these two teams can draw at the G.
Why they schedule us at the Dome is beyond me. I say we rest Browny for that Melbourne game at the dome. Too many painful memories for him I am sure.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2007, 04:58:26 PM »

60,086 Round 15 2006 Friday night both teams in the 8 as I recall at the G.
46,161 Round 12 2007 Us winless Dees 2 wins albeit only Vic game that weekend but proved these two can draw a crowd.
How about Round 22 1998 sure we have bad memories crowd was 76000.
Shows these two teams can draw at the G.
Why they schedule us at the Dome is beyond me. I say we rest Browny for that Melbourne game at the dome. Too many painful memories for him I am sure.
Cheers HT74. When Browny went down it was one of the few games at the end where I didn't care about the result. Just felt numb instead. Hopefully this time around he can return in triumph and literally exorcise those demons  :thumbsup.

The AFL just think they can push us off to the Dome to fulfil their contractual obligations. They actually wanted us to play 4 home games there  ::) before we told them to get stuffed. If they were so concerned about allowing as many people go to the games as possible then why do we play interstate sides at the 'G yet Melbourne and St Kilda at the Dome. The AFL are full of it.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2007, 12:31:27 AM »
The AFL has moved the round 4 Kangaroos vs Melbourne game from the Gold Coast to the MCG yet our match against MCG co-tenants Melbourne remains at the Dome  ::).

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2007, 12:34:21 AM »
By the way here's Inside Football's NFL-like answer to the inequities of the draw. Thoughts?

2 Divisions (16 clubs)

Play same division clubs twice and the other division clubs once = 22 rounds

Bartlett Division

Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, North, Sydney, Brisbane

Harvey Division

West Coast, Freo, Adelaide, Port, Geelong, St Kilda, Melbourne, Bulldogs

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2007, 07:02:16 PM »
By the way here's Inside Football's NFL-like answer to the inequities of the draw. Thoughts?

2 Divisions (16 clubs)

Play same division clubs twice and the other division clubs once = 22 rounds

Bartlett Division

Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, North, Sydney, Brisbane

Harvey Division

West Coast, Freo, Adelaide, Port, Geelong, St Kilda, Melbourne, Bulldogs

H Block have four interstate trips whereas B Block have 2 and off course the Pies will avoid going to Adelaide or Perth twice in the same year more than likely having to play the other division games mostly at home meaning we would get the short straw and have something horrific like consecutive trips interstate like this year. Inequities Inequities Inequities.
Play everyone twice sponsors are happy TV rights will increase no inequities in the draw and clubs don't have to slurp at the teet of Vladimir to get what they want.
Unless we become a successful consistent top 4 side that will be pushing for 40000+ members and we will play in front of crowds of 70000+ against the other big 4 teams from Vic as well as being part of sellout away matches at the dome against the lesser sides like North Dogs we will have our fair share of injustice in the draw. Without big crowds and success we have nothing to take to the bargaining table of the AFL when its time to discuss the intricasies of the draw. We are just seen merely as another Melbourne side and hence the hypocrisy of the Melbourne game at the dome with a capacity of 53K as opposed to the G with a capacity of 100K.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2007, 08:20:01 PM »
The AFL has moved the round 4 Kangaroos vs Melbourne game from the Gold Coast to the MCG yet our match against MCG co-tenants Melbourne remains at the Dome  ::).
Wouldn't be able to now without affecting memberships.
MCC - Tigers would be $130 for 2 games   , unless they could slip in premium seat entry for a TD away game. Was expensive enough for 3
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 11:41:23 PM by WilliamPowell »
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2007, 11:40:07 PM »

In the AFL's official 2008 draw magazine thingee that's finally on sale for $10. It says the following regarding our round 12 Home clash against Melbourne (refer page 35)

"Richmond to play Melbourne at Telstra Dome because of a fixturing clash, with Collingwood-Carlton at the MCG. Both Melbourne and Collingwood require a siz-day break following the Queen's Birthday clash the previous Monday."

So let me get this straight ......

... in Round 12 Bulldogs get a home game at the MCG on the Saturday because Telstra is not available on the Sat but we have to play at the dome on the Sunday because Melb played on the Monday the round before   

... the AFL by their own admission in publication that I've quoted from spend a nearly 2 pages boasting about their new very expensive software that is supposed to aid the fixturing process but their wizz bang software spits out this crap in round 12     :wallywink :wallywink

What a surprise not   :wallywink
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2007, 11:47:30 PM »

yeh just finished ready todays daily...what the hell is going on here, considering we have been at the G longer than only melbourne we really get the short shift.

Mind you once the wheel turns they will be come knocking, we just have to make sure we return the favour to them. :gobdrop

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2007, 07:31:23 PM »
Wouldn't be able to now without affecting memberships.
MCC - Tigers would be $130 for 2 games   , unless they could slip in premium seat entry for a TD away game. Was expensive enough for 3
You're right FF but wouldn't the Roos game being moved affect Melbourne's 17-game membership. Suddenly an interstate away game becomes a ordinary away game at the 'G which would've and should've come under the Dees' 17-game membership.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2007, 07:47:50 PM »

In the AFL's official 2008 draw magazine thingee that's finally on sale for $10. It says the following regarding our round 12 Home clash against Melbourne (refer page 35)

"Richmond to play Melbourne at Telstra Dome because of a fixturing clash, with Collingwood-Carlton at the MCG. Both Melbourne and Collingwood require a siz-day break following the Queen's Birthday clash the previous Monday."

So let me get this straight ......

... in Round 12 Bulldogs get a home game at the MCG on the Saturday because Telstra is not available on the Sat but we have to play at the dome on the Sunday because Melb played on the Monday the round before   

... the AFL by their own admission in publication that I've quoted from spend a nearly 2 pages boasting about their new very expensive software that is supposed to aid the fixturing process but their wizz bang software spits out this crap in round 12     :wallywink :wallywink

What a surprise not   :wallywink

Yep WP it's just a load of crock. Remember we were asked by the AFL to have 4 Dome home games (Club rightly said no way). When it comes to the draw the RFC is an after-thought and until we start performing on-field we'll have to put up with this crap from the AFL admin ::)  :banghead.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #132 on: December 23, 2007, 05:17:15 PM »
When it comes to the draw the RFC is an after-thought and until we start performing on-field we'll have to put up with this crap from the AFL admin ::)  :banghead.

Agree MT

It was a question asked at the AGM - why don't we get all our home games at the MCG. The answer was what it has always been but it was said once we start winning regularly, being in the fina's consistently we will get listened to more by the AFL.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #133 on: December 23, 2007, 11:24:56 PM »
It was a question asked at the AGM - why don't we get all our home games at the MCG. The answer was what it has always been but it was said once we start winning regularly, being in the fina's consistently we will get listened to more by the AFL.
The irony is we'll probably have to get to another situation like against St Kilda in 2003 where our supporters are locked out of the Dome because it's full, before the AFL ever listens to us.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #134 on: December 24, 2007, 04:48:40 PM »
they will always treat us with this lack of respect until we start playing regular finals.

we have to earn it like all top teams
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.