Author Topic: Welcome to Tigerland - Jordan McMahon and Mitch Morton  (Read 55891 times)

jackstar

Re: Welcome to Tigerland - Jordan McMahon and Mitch Morton
« Reply #435 on: June 22, 2008, 04:43:12 PM »
No wonder there was a population explosion, Mopsy.

Very good :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Winning a family affair for Morton (RFC)
« Reply #436 on: June 22, 2008, 05:49:40 PM »
Winning a family affair for Morton
richmondfc.com.au
By Geoff Dodd
Sun 22 June, 2008

FOOTY IN 2008 has returned to being a family affair for Mitch Morton. And he couldn’t be happier.

Morton, 21, was snapped up as a father-son selection by West Coast with pick 44 in the 2004 National Draft. At that time he could well have expected that his brothers Jarryd and Cale – if good enough – would one day join him on the Eagles list and together build a western Morton dynasty in Perth.

But in 2007, the AFL changed the father-son rules. 

With the stroke of a pen, the younger Mortons became ineligible because their father, Noel, hadn’t played his 150th match for Claremont in a newly-required time period (the same technicality that saw Adelaide lose rights to Bryce Gibbs).

At the end of 2006, the Eagles then overlooked Jarryd, now 19, with their first two draft selections and he was taken at pick 33 by Hawthorn, where he’s now in his second season.

The family was split.

Then, in October last year, with Morton’s younger brother Cale touted as a likely top five draft pick with destination “anywhere”, Mitch got confirmation that his desired trade to Richmond from West Coast would happen. 

Within weeks, Cale, 18, was also in the Victorian capital, overlooked by both Richmond with pick two (Trent Cotchin) and West Coast with pick three (Chris Masten) and selected by the Demons with pick four in the National Draft.

The brothers who once dreamed of being teammates in Perth were now all in Melbourne - albeit with different clubs.

“Looking back three or four years and you would have thought if anything we’d all be in Perth,” Morton said after starring yesterday in Richmond’s thrilling four-point win over Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium.

“But it’s great to all be in one city. We try to get to each others' games as much as we can and help each other out. We’re all very, very happy at our clubs, and it’s just a great experience at the moment.

“We’re just all trying to bust our guts and get a game.”

Which they are each doing very nicely. 

Cale has already played 11 games in his debut season and is eighth in Melbourne’s possession count. Jarryd has secured a spot with the high-flying Hawthorn, and yesterday picked up a career-high 33 possessions in the Hawks loss to the Kangaroos.

And Mitch booted a career-best five goals in the Tigers win over the Power, as well as keeping Peter Burgoyne to just 14 possessions in a role as a defensive forward.

It was an achievement Morton relished sharing with his new ‘family’ – the young Richmond forward line, including Jack Riewoldt and Cleve Hughes.

“We’ve got a really good connection down there,” Morton said.

“Jack, Cleve and I have played a bit together at Coburg. We try to work together, and we seem to play good footy when we’re all in there.”

Asked about his own role, Morton maintains the team focus.

“I’m just willing to play my part, and if helps in getting the four points then I’m happy with it. I started with a defensive role on Peter Burgoyne. I was just trying to do that to the best of my ability, and was lucky enough to get out a couple of times in the first quarter and kick a couple. I’m pretty happy.”

He seemed even happier, though, for birthday boy Joel Bowden, one of Morton’s childhood heroes, who returned to form with an astonishing 39-possession, 23-mark game, including a game-saver at the death.

“It’s just so good to see Joel playing that sort of footy again. He’s just so well respected and liked, and the way he holds himself is just an example to everyone down at the footy club. He’s been absolutely fantastic for me coming over. He’s made it so much easier for me, and I couldn’t speak more highly of him.”

Looking forward, Morton is setting himself for a big week in the lead-up to the blockbuster match against Carlton.

“Every game’s worth four points, it doesn’t matter if there’s 100,000 people there or 20,000 like today, but it will be a great week because we’re celebrating the history of the club, and all the players are very respectful of that history,” Morton said.

“There’s been so many great players, and I think we’re all a little excited to see them come out and get involved again. We’ll definitely be giving it a red hot dip again next week. 

“When we’re on the front foot and playing attacking footy and everyone’s up and going we’re one of the better sides in the comp. It’s just a matter of how long we can sustain that for. At the moment we’re dropping off at the end of games once we’ve got out to a lead, and that’s something to fix. 

“But we’re aiming to have another win next week, take a break (with the split round) and then come out firing with a surge to the end of the year.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=61951

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #437 on: June 26, 2008, 12:55:13 PM »
I think Plough in EOTT has been reading OER again ....

I feel that sometimes this Club can be too damming on players, who are trying to embrace the spirit and culture of everything that Punt Road has to offer. This becomes difficult if they are under fire from day one, from their own. Obviously, this does not include the vast majority of Tiger supporters, but there are enough out there, who make a new player’s job fairly difficult at times.

Jordan finished last Saturday’s game with 29 possessions, six marks, seven ball-gets, four tackles, 14 handball receives, four inside-50 entries and a goal, which is a fair day’s work for any player. His run-and-carry in the second half enabled us to overlap and set up the win.

http://210.50.4.102/rfc/

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #438 on: June 26, 2008, 01:07:03 PM »

That's pretty fair comment by TW - just that on the day I remember being as nervous as a cat in a roomfull of rocking chairs when he got the ball early and he had a shocking turnover which clouded the rest of the day - for me.

I'm going to have to take a more measured look at his total game.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #439 on: June 26, 2008, 01:13:36 PM »
Is this from the Post Analysis of Round 13? They don't seem to update this area of the sight very regularly and it never seems current.

I agree with TW sentiments though. Sometimes supporters make an early snap judgement on a player and spend the rest of his career looking for evidence to support that generalisation. I think McMahon is one such player who came into the club with people already thinking negatively about him due to the draft pick given up for him. Also becasue he is an outside player supporters value these type of players less believing them to be soft.

The fact is is that we need a mixture of In and outsider midfielders in the team. McMahon will have to become a superstar before some supporters would give him any credit for playing well. More likely they will say nothing why he is performing but if he has a bad game...they will be out in full voice.

Tough position to be in really.

Stripes

Offline wayne again

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #440 on: June 26, 2008, 02:02:50 PM »
More likely they will say nothing why he is performing but if he has a bad game...they will be out in full voice.

I hope you are wrong there Stripes. I have not been that happy with him this year, to many bad turn overs but what i seen last week i thought he did OK.
 Judge him on a game by game basis, so far he is still under for me but we will see what happens.
 Need him to put in big effort this week. :gotigers

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #441 on: June 26, 2008, 02:10:24 PM »
Is this from the Post Analysis of Round 13? They don't seem to update this area of the sight very regularly and it never seems current.

I find they do if you check every Thursday about midday.  :thumbsup
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #442 on: June 29, 2008, 03:53:50 AM »
It wouldn't be the day after a game without this thread being bumped up lol.

Thought it was one of Jordie's better games. At least tried to generate some run and overlap when we were stagnating with the footy. 

I heard Mitch was chucking up around quarter time. Not sure if that was true. I thought he was fairly quiet overall but he took some top strong contested marks over his head and still kicked 3 goals.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #443 on: June 29, 2008, 07:10:16 AM »
for someone who has been critical of Jordie, i thought he played well yesterday.

Mitch started well and was unlucky not hold onto a couple of marks early on, he will be pumped in the next game against the Eagles.

jackstar

« Reply #444 on: June 29, 2008, 09:37:51 AM »
Oh dear.
The problem is this.
He puts little defensive pressure on opposition teams when we havent got possession, he continually zones off and  if he plays in D50 we are one player down.
He is the release player when we rebound, but whats the point when the opposition goal ::)
Rule 1 in Football./Your back 6 have to be accountable.  Joel Bowden take note as well. McMahon is not accountable

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #445 on: June 29, 2008, 09:47:59 AM »
I thought he played on the wing yesterday.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #446 on: June 29, 2008, 10:28:02 AM »
THought Mitch was good when the entries were good but they were rubbish mostly which didnt help him one bit.
EAT EM ALIVE!

jackstar

« Reply #447 on: June 29, 2008, 11:11:29 AM »
I thought he played on the wing yesterday.

Was on Jordon Russell early who was playing as a high hit up forward.
McMahon was off half back for the entire game

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #448 on: June 29, 2008, 12:53:08 PM »
I thought it was one of of Jordy's better games in terms of his disposal and he even put some pressure on with the opposition laying a few tackles even a run down from behind that earnt him a free in the first quarter. But as the game wore on the less accountable he became.

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #449 on: June 29, 2008, 03:22:24 PM »
its refreshing to see a player such as morton who actually has a flowing kicking action when he lines up for goal...