Author Topic: Alex Rance [merged]  (Read 238334 times)

tony_montana

Re: Richmond resurgence rides on Alex Rance's football smarts (Age)
« Reply #1515 on: August 21, 2014, 08:27:38 AM »
Nah, he's just a 3rd tall nothing more, not good enough as KpD

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Alex Rance
« Reply #1516 on: August 22, 2014, 05:54:00 PM »
Sorry Claw but can you show us the stats that back up your claim that "Rance can't play KPD"? Seeing as you just said you confirm what you see with stats this shouldn't be too hard...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:29:26 AM by one-eyed »

the claw

Re: Re: Alex Rance
« Reply #1517 on: August 22, 2014, 06:12:53 PM »
Sorry Claw but can you show us the stats that back up your claim that "Rance can't play KPD"? Seeing as you just said you confirm what you see with stats this shouldn't be too hard...
we have done rance to death, i stick by my comments. if you wish to see my thinking on rance i suggest you peruse the rance thread.
the differing opinion on rance is not on weather he can play but the role he should play based on his 7yrs.

i still think we would be a much better side if rance played the third tall role and we found a say 195cm plud 100kg full back.
i still think alex is very vulnerable when taken deep and forced to play body on body.
statistically he has always found plenty of ball and rebounded. hes always got high 1%ers mostly spoils but imo he has always been suspect when taken deep. most of his 1%ers are intercepts or third man up.
if you think rance has not warranted criticism over the yrs you are kidding your self. has he got better as hes gone along of course.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:29:56 AM by one-eyed »

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1518 on: August 23, 2014, 06:00:42 AM »
we have done rance to death, i stick by my comments. if you wish to see my thinking on rance i suggest you peruse the rance thread.
the differing opinion on rance is not on weather he can play but the role he should play based on his 7yrs.

i still think we would be a much better side if rance played the third tall role and we found a say 195cm plud 100kg full back.
i still think alex is very vulnerable when taken deep and forced to play body on body.
statistically he has always found plenty of ball and rebounded. hes always got high 1%ers mostly spoils but imo he has always been suspect when taken deep. most of his 1%ers are intercepts or third man up.
if you think rance has not warranted criticism over the yrs you are kidding your self. has he got better as hes gone along of course.

David Astbury at 195cm and 95 kg?

:cheers
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1519 on: August 23, 2014, 08:10:37 AM »

I think the point here is that you think your being honest with yourself.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:30:22 AM by one-eyed »
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

tony_montana

« Reply #1520 on: August 23, 2014, 11:56:58 AM »

Rance 194cm and 96kg  :whistle

the claw

« Reply #1521 on: August 24, 2014, 01:12:05 AM »

whistle all you like. alex is best suited to a thirds tall role imo. yes in saying that hes played some real good footy this yr both as an attacking player and defender.
your missing the point.
the idea is to become a premiership side, having the ability to play rance in the role hes best suited to would mean we have also found a very reliable big bodied one v one f/b and a proven chb.
i still maintain to get to be a contender we need a super reliable f/b who is rarely beaten in any situation some one like rutten or mcpharlin. we need another tall running defender hopefully mcintosh, we need a chb maybe thtats astbury maybe its not.

our list will not get us close to a premiership the bar must be raised and continually raised until we are good enough to challenge.
this thinking of ,  we dont need anybody else attitude is just rubbish. its time supporters starting raising the bar no more 9th placed finishes, no more having a season fall apart on the back of just a few injuries. build the depth with quality and the success will come.

anyway if people want to discuss rance im happy to go back over to the rance thread. this thread is about gordon and as usual i will stand by what ive said on this bloke as well.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1522 on: August 24, 2014, 01:25:22 AM »
what person in the afl would be better at player the rance, current role

outside of rance

*that is 30 year old or younger

the coach has claimed rance is the best 'lock down, very reliable big bodied one v one ' tall defender in the league, (or whatever exact phrasing he used), so i await your answer with baited breath  :whistle

the claw

« Reply #1523 on: August 24, 2014, 01:49:02 AM »

outside of rance

the coach has claimed rance is the best 'lock down, very reliable big bodied one v one ' tall defender in the league, (or whatever exact phrasing he used), so i await your answer with baited breath  :whistle
so i take it you think we dont need to improve and  all the pieces are in place.
 dont know if you have looked lately but we will be lucky to win half of our games this yr. is that acceptable to you. ffs beating up on weaker sides or sides hurt by injury or badly out of form doesnt cut it.
and i disagree with the coach not just on this but many things . its not as if the coach has been right about all things now is it. in fact people have been calling for his head hes got that much wrong this yr.
i just wish people would use their own eyes and use their own judgement rather than just trotting out what other people say.

now as i have said if you want to discuss alex rance take it to the rance thread this ones about nathan gordon.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Alex Rance [merged]
« Reply #1524 on: August 24, 2014, 03:34:51 AM »
nb. I've split and moved the Rance discussion in the Gordon thread to here.

tony_montana

« Reply #1525 on: August 24, 2014, 06:30:02 AM »

whistle all you like. alex is best suited to a thirds tall role imo. yes in saying that hes played some real good footy this yr both as an attacking player and defender.
your missing the point.
the idea is to become a premiership side, having the ability to play rance in the role hes best suited to would mean we have also found a very reliable big bodied one v one f/b and a proven chb.
i still maintain to get to be a contender we need a super reliable f/b who is rarely beaten in any situation some one like rutten or mcpharlin. we need another tall running defender hopefully mcintosh, we need a chb maybe thtats astbury maybe its not.

our list will not get us close to a premiership the bar must be raised and continually raised until we are good enough to challenge.
this thinking of ,  we dont need anybody else attitude is just rubbish. its time supporters starting raising the bar no more 9th placed finishes, no more having a season fall apart on the back of just a few injuries. build the depth with quality and the success will come.

anyway if people want to discuss rance im happy to go back over to the rance thread. this thread is about gordon and as usual i will stand by what ive said on this bloke as well.

I haven't missed the point, I simply don't agree with it. You and one or two other posters talk about Rance ideally being a 3rd tall so he can rebound..... Well playing as a KPD  isn't he number 1 in intercepts and one of the top rebounding defenders in the comp anyway? This is on top of him winning more one v one contest against the big forwards in the comp than any other KpD. Sorry claw, I'm whistling bc I think it's time to drop it. He'd be grossly under utilised if he was just a 3rd tall

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1526 on: August 24, 2014, 09:28:20 AM »
claw - you failed to answer my question.

I stated, outside of Rutten and McPharlin both around 32 [Rance is 24] who would you prefer, outside of Richmond, in the Rance role.

outside of rance

so i take it you think we dont need to improve and  all the pieces are in place.

Of course I beleive the list needs to be improved.

However, I beleive Rance, Astbury, Grimes is a reasonable solid three KPD. And Darrou and McIntosh provide adequate back up.

dont know if you have looked lately but we will be lucky to win half of our games this yr.

I would not be placing the Rance on blame, personally.

and i disagree with the coach not just on this but many things . its not as if the coach has been right about all things now is it. in fact people have been calling for his head hes got that much wrong this yr.
i just wish people would use their own eyes and use their own judgement rather than just trotting out what other people say.

I do judge with my own eyes.

I have been on the Rance bandwagon, since before drafting him. His videos playing for WA filled me with great emotion. I was particularly taken by his defensive capabilities, rebound and toughness. I made a small yelp of delight when his name was read out, and been in his corner since.

[/quote]

tony_montana

« Reply #1527 on: August 24, 2014, 02:39:48 PM »
'filled me with great emotion'  :lol

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #1528 on: August 24, 2014, 03:26:56 PM »
'have to find others' haha

he's the best 1on1 in the comp
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1529 on: August 25, 2014, 06:27:09 PM »
I reckon all teams would love to have their best defender to have the luxury of playing 3rd tall. But that's just your excuse not to answer the question. What stat's back up that he can't play number 1 defender? I bet you'll find plenty more stats that say he's a damned good one