Author Topic: Alex Rance [merged]  (Read 239697 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Alex Rance [merged]
« Reply #420 on: August 14, 2011, 10:05:18 PM »
Rance interviewed after the game by the Herald-Sun....

THE word daunting is probably a fair description for how opponents feel when they sit down to watch the tapes on Sydney champion Adam Goodes.

That's exactly what Alex Rance was thinking when he pulled up a chair next to assistant coach Wayne Campbell during the week, particularly given he knew Goodes had put on a clinic against Essendon even though his missed shot on the siren had cost the Swans victory.

Instead he found Campbell upbeat about the challenge ahead.

"It was a bit funny," Rance said. "Wayne does a lot of our opposition work and he said to me, 'He played pretty well (last week) mate, but I think you might do alright on him'.

Campbell is clearly a genius because Rance played one of the best games of his career, limiting Goodes to just one goal and collecting an impressive 24 possessions in the process.

While Trent Cotchin and Bachar Houli were prolific for the Tigers , the fact Goodes was a non-factor for Sydney was massive in determining the result.

"I watched a fair bit of tape and that kind of stuff, he's an amazing player and he got off the hook a few times but I got a few back which was good," Rance said.

"Being a defender by nature, I was comfortable when he came down but if he went up into stoppages that's not really my forte as much so it was like kind of hit his body and just hope he doesn't get it.

"The good thing about playing on good players is they take you to the ball and with the pressure being amazing from our mids, it fell into my hands a fair bit."

The 21-year-old, who was playing his 41st game, said the key to his improved season was having more of an understanding of coach Damien Hardwick's game plan.

"The game plan has just sort of started to unfold a little bit better this year," Rance said.

"I'm starting to see the big picture a lot more and I think that is happening with a lot of players now, they are starting to see the game plan and how it does work."

After six straight losses, Rance said the surprise result was part of the Tigers determination to use the last part of the season as a stepping stone to 2012.

"It definitely proves to us and gives us some reward for effort," he said.

"We've seen some amazing signs in quarters and patches of games over the past few months so to put it all together today was fantastic.

"This last four or five games of the season is definitely a big stepping stone into next season. We definitely view it that way and are by no means putting the cue in the rack."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-name-mitch-morton-as-substitute/story-e6frf9mx-1226114651592

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #421 on: August 15, 2011, 06:58:09 AM »
Congrats to Rance played a very good game

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #422 on: August 15, 2011, 07:58:49 AM »
credit where due, has improved out of sight.
Backs his judgement :thumbsup

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #423 on: August 15, 2011, 08:47:40 AM »
He really is playing with confidence and purpose now,  where as before he seemed to be enthusiastic but lost a lot of the time.  Great to see him turn it around and become a very valuable team member just like Nahas and Kingy have.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #424 on: August 22, 2011, 12:17:22 AM »
A couple of amazing courageous spoils by Rance in the game yesterday. He saved at least two what would've been certain Melbourne goals. I still can't believe the one where he was at least 20m away running back with the flight and punched the ball out of Jurrah's arms. Incredible desperation  :clapping.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #425 on: August 22, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
you simply wont see a better spoil than that one on jurrah MT.

To do that and not give away a free is just so difficult.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #426 on: August 22, 2011, 12:02:27 PM »
rance was a clear delist before the season started.

He should now be an untoucheable along with cotch martin jack and vickery.

The fact that he has improved so much in such a short period of time is a credit to himself and the coaching staff.

Top class key defender, a critical part of the premiership puzzle. :bow

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #427 on: August 22, 2011, 07:21:03 PM »
He has certainly made me eat my words  :bow

gerkin greg

« Reply #428 on: August 22, 2011, 10:10:33 PM »
rance was a clear delist before the season started.

Was he? Thought there was enough to work with there that his future was cloudy at worst.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Alex Rance finally comes of age / Signs a new two-year deal (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #429 on: August 27, 2011, 01:09:20 AM »
Richmond defender Alex Rance finally comes of age

Jon Ralph
    August 27, 2011

ALEX Rance agreed to terms on a new two-year deal this week.

Not so long ago that development could have elicited varying emotions from those associated with the Richmond Football Club.

The fans wondered if the No.18 draft pick was yet another bust, and the coach himself admitted recently he had harboured "doubts" about Rance's future.

The man himself knew the heat was coming; he was a top-20 draft selection, so why wasn't the fourth-year defender playing like it?

Yet, in a year when Richmond's tall defenders have toppled like ninepins, Rance has emerged a player redefined.

His scalps include Adam Goodes and Jonathan Brown, he averages an amazing 19 possessions a game and he ranks first at Richmond for winning the ball back off the opposition.

All of a sudden, the Tigers could just have a defender to build their back six around for the next decade.

"It's a couple of years, so it's a good result," Rance said this week about the new deal.

"I am pretty pumped to be part of the future of the club, so it's a pretty good feeling.

"This year has been a really big learning year for me and I feel like I have made a lot of improvement."

When the Tigers recruited West Australian defender Rance at the end of 2007, he was a very different player.

He came through the junior system as a tall rebounding defender and onballer, but he couldn't handle the big dogs and his skills weren't good enough for the midfield.

"I think maybe in years gone past I had a false idea of what sort of player I was," said Rance, son of Footscray and West Coast player Murray Rance.

"I thought I was a running defender, but here there are other blokes to do that job.

"It mainly stemmed from the under-18s. I was playing as a midfielder and getting a bit of the ball, and we had a really good side with (Nic) Naitanui, and (Chris) Yarran and Jeff (Garlett), and I was getting touches, and I thought I could do it at top level.

"Now I am happy playing in my spot, and I can see that I can improve and grow in those areas."

Weaknesses identified, he made a beeline for backline coach and former Brisbane star Justin Leppitsch.

"I knew I had deficiencies in my game, and I went and talked to Lepper about it, and he stripped my game back to its most basic," Rance said.

"He helped with footwork, and probably more reading the play better and having a bit more of a cool head.

"I also did a lot of technique work with my running style to try to get to and impact on as many contests as I could."

A look at Champion Data's stats on 21-year-old Rance this year is revealing.

Drew Petrie (five goals) got a hold of him in Round 5, and Western Bulldog Will Minson kicked four on him in Round 8.

But the likes of Stuart Crameri, Goodes (twice), James Podsiadly, Brown and Quinten Lynch have all been well held or beaten by Rance.

He leads the spoils at Richmond with 117 -34 more than any other Tiger -- and has 104 possession gains (again No.1 at the club), which are possessions won back from the opposition.

Richmond recruiter Francis Jackson, who recruited future captain Trent Cotchin at pick two in the same draft, says Rance has finally matured.

"He was always ultra-competitive but he needed to polish up a few of his skills. It is terrific to see him progress. It is a fantastic tick for perseverance. His positioning and defensive techniques have been really good, and he has never had trouble finding the footy. So, it's a credit to him that he's constantly improved," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-defender-alex-rance-finally-comes-of-age/story-e6frf9mx-1226123250560

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Alex Rance finally comes of age / Signs a new two-year deal (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #430 on: August 27, 2011, 01:26:37 AM »
This is great news.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #431 on: August 27, 2011, 04:49:55 AM »
Along with Houli, Rance is our most improved player this year. Only Astbury and Griffiths to go to sign-up all of our most promising young talls according to our contracts list
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #432 on: August 27, 2011, 07:29:02 AM »
 Very happy with Alex's year. He needs to back it up in 2012.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #433 on: August 27, 2011, 08:55:39 AM »
At the moment, this is good news and hopefully Rance DOES NOT go backwards. Rance "should" be a key player in our 11th premiership.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #434 on: August 27, 2011, 09:31:41 AM »
I am happy that he has been rewarded with a new deal. He has done a great job and hopefully he continues to develop the way he has. Well done to him.