Author Topic: Alex Rance [merged]  (Read 239781 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Alex Rance [merged]
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2009, 05:55:20 PM »
Ch 10 news said Alex is out of hospital :)

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2009, 08:41:02 PM »
sounds like a pushy father.

I hear that there might be a senior coaching vacancy coming up, he may want to throw his hat into the ring.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2009, 08:41:58 PM »
need i stipulate,there's nothing wrong with that....

l see your new love attached in your avitar  ;D

"MEDICATED CHICKS DO MORE STUFF"

I hear she is pure - so you can legitimately be called "the biggest, the best, the first!"
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline gtig

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2009, 10:13:17 PM »
Selwood clash gave me goose bumps: Voss
http://news.realfooty.com.au/breaking-news-sport/selwood-clash-gave-me-goose-bumps-voss-20090511-b0ag.html

May 11, 2009 - 3:00PM

It was one of the most sickening sights of the 2009 AFL season - or any season for that matter.

But Troy Selwood's "car crash" head clash with Richmond's Alex Rance on Saturday also led to one of the most inspirational, according to Brisbane Lions coach Michael Voss.

Both players lost consciousness after colliding while contesting a loose ball in the third quarter at the MCG.

It proved a turning point for the Lions in the match - and maybe even for their season.

As a recovering Selwood looked on, the Lions reeled in Richmond to triumph by 26 points - their first away victory since round 8 last year, and first over the Tigers in five years.

After the fulltime siren sounded, the Lions players had every reason to celebrate - but instead they rushed to acknowledge Selwood.

"Every now again as a coach you get goose bumps about different things, and I got goose bumps when I saw that," Voss said on Monday.

"I thought 'that's what teamwork is all about' - when one of your mates puts his body on the line for you and is willing to hurt himself for the greater cause.

"When you see all the guys go over to him after the game and acknowledge that effort, it is spine tingling."

Asked if he hoped the "Selwood moment" may also be season defining, Voss said: "I hope so.

"We made reference to him at three-quarter time.

"When you see a commitment like that from one of your teammates you can't help but not want to let him down."

Voss insisted that Selwood had not suffered concussion - well, not at first anyway.

"He probably got concussion from all the taps on the head (after the match) rather than the incident itself," Voss smiled.

"It's not exactly what you want after you've just been knocked on the head."

However, Voss said the incident itself was no laughing matter.

Rance had to undergo surgery for fractures around his cheekbone and eye socket, although Selwood was able to fly back with the team with a "sore head".

"We obviously hope that young Rance is okay as well," Voss said.

But Voss has adopted a "wait and see" approach before picking Selwood for Saturday night's Gabba clash with a desperate Adelaide.

Selwood's actions may have been inspirational, but Voss was keen on it not happening again.

"As a coach I can teach a better technique, not lead with the head but more of the shoulder - and I am quite serious about that," Voss said.

"That is something I have to make sure (that when you) put your body on the line, you have also got to protect yourself."

Selwood is no stranger to head knocks but donning headgear in the style of Lions legend Shaun Hart seems unlikely.

"I am sure the boys will give him a fair ribbing if he sticks the helmet on," Voss laughed.

© 2009 AAP

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2009, 04:51:17 AM »
Alex has two plates in his face and he has already been down to the club apparently after getting out of hospital to stir up the other boys about how he'll be back in only 2-3 weeks.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2009, 09:40:11 AM »
One of the footy shows on Sunday Naf Brown was next to crawdad.
Browny was saying it was great to see kids going in like that.
Crawdad turns to him and says maybe you can learn something from that  :rollin GOLD Nafs face  :o

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2009, 01:07:29 PM »
Rance’s courage inspiring, says Jackson
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen 12:39 PM Tue 12 May, 2009

RICHMOND midfielder Daniel Jackson says the courage and commitment shown by teammate Alex Rance on the weekend should help inspire his teammates.

Rance spent a couple of days in hospital after having plates and screws inserted into his head following a clash with Troy Selwood that left both semi-conscious on the ground in Saturday's loss to the Brisbane Lions.

The club is hoping Rance will return within a month, but Jackson said he didn't expect the six-gamer to change the way he attacked the ball.

"He was in yesterday and he was in good spirits," Jackson said before training on Tuesday.

"Looking at the footage ... although it's a bit scary at the time, it does give you motivation to see someone put themselves on the line like that.

“He does it all the time, and no doubt when he comes back he'll be doing it again and again – it won't be something that fazes him.

"He just epitomises how you should attack the footy."

Jackson plays a similarly uncompromising brand of football, and said the repercussions for Rance wouldn't deter him from continuing to put his head over the ball.

"Look, it probably goes more the other way – you think 'what's good for him must be good for me as well'," he said.

"It always sets the scene – you see that and you think if he can do it, I can do it.

"If everyone else does that, it's going to make us a better side."

Jackson also copped a knock to the head and bled in a manner worthy of a former captain of the club, Matthew Knights, leaving the ground with his face entirely covered in blood, but the 23-year-old laughed the injury off.

“My head's fine – it certainly looked a lot worse than it was, and I think Richo and Browny's gags on TV were a little bit worse for me than the actual hit.

"I had a few missed calls from my mum and when I gave her a call she was in a bit of a state ... She was surprised it was only six stitches, but she's fine now.

"I had to give my gran a call the next day to settle the score there, but all's well."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/76675/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2009, 04:39:50 AM »
Is all on the line, over the line?
Peter Hanlon | May 13, 2009

IF THE flapping of a butterfly's wings in the jungle can trigger a typhoon over the ocean, what chaos can spring from the cracking of two skulls on the MCG members' wing?

Alex Rance and Troy Selwood have lived to tell the tale of their human head-on on Saturday; bones heal, plates and screws can be removed, headaches wear off. But does a hangover linger when we're reminded just how brutal football can be?

No matter how many mums and dads nodded in cringing agreement with what Murray Rance called "every parent's worst nightmare", it won't slow down the game, nor stop players going in without a second thought. Selwood is a Selwood; say no more. As for Rance, Scott Cummings has seen cautionary advice fall on deaf ears.

"He rang me when he was driving home after they'd lost to Melbourne and I said, 'You've got to be careful mate, you're going to kill yourself one day'," Cummings says of Rance. "Basically his answer was, 'There's no alternative'."

Cummings has known Rance since he was a boy, having regarded the young Tiger's father as a mentor since he joined Swan Districts when Murray Rance was nearing the end of his career.

The son's courage is innate, but against the Demons it left him with only a headache, while Brad Green came out of their collision with a broken jaw.

On Saturday Selwood was the luckier one, yet while renowned sports medico Peter Brukner acknowledges the potential for damage when two objects as hard as skulls meet, he cautions against an alarmist reaction.

"Fractured skulls, fractured cheekbones are probably the worst case scenarios," Brukner says. "Concussion is a relatively minor scenario — not that concussion is minor. The James Hirds of the world, you can make a mess of the facial bones, but the skull itself seems to be pretty resistant to that sort of thing.

"Is there potential for something even more serious? A nasty fractured skull … there's always that potential, but there's been lots of head clashes but never anything life threatening."

Which doesn't make it any easier to watch. Horse racing reeled last week as images of jumpers tumbling to their death — and perhaps that of their sport — were shown time and again. The scale differs, but constant replays of the Rance-Selwood clash caused discomfort and not just in the living rooms of the country's near-200,000 Auskickers.

"In pure terms, yes, we would like that (vision) to be broadcast less, because I just don't think it's something you need to play ad nauseum," the AFL's chief operations officer, Gillon McLachlan, said yesterday. But he said the league would continue to focus on making the game safer and not tell the broadcasters what to put to air.

Cummings and Brukner share the concerns of many that the crackdown on contact to the head with hip or shoulder has made such head-banging more common. "If Alex turns himself side-on, he takes out Troy Selwood and gets six weeks," Cummings said. "As much as they've been trying to protect the head, they've probably created a bigger monster."

Wayne Campbell concurs, drawing the logical conclusion — if Rance keeps going in head down and backside up, he'll keep cracking his head. "We'd much prefer him to have a big bruise on his bum or his shoulder than his head," the Richmond assistant said yesterday.

At Monday's game review the Tigers' staff lauded their young player's courage, but resolved to hit the tackling bag and work on his technique. As for finding an approach to satisfy the competing demands of unbending attack on the ball while not illegally contacting an opponent — or imperilling your own health — Campbell is unsure one exists.

Cummings says players now know that if they put their head down and cop any contact, they will get a free kick. He doesn't like to see them rewarded. "Boys put their heads down and hope for the best that they don't end up like Alex and Troy Selwood."

While McLachlan says the league's rules committee will continue to seek the best outcome, Campbell sees it as yet another reason to be in awe of the modern footballer. "The more you look at the game, the more you stand at ground level, they're just fearless. They hit that hard, there's so much to admire about what they do."

Meltdown-proportion scrutiny has meant players who are perceived not to have put their bodies on the line are highlighted — as Josh Fraser discovered after Anzac Day — a fact Campbell says mitigates against finding a still courageous yet somehow safer middle ground.

"A happy medium doesn't sell newspapers. I think it was always internally that it was highlighted, but now everyone wants to be the first person to say something. People want to put their name up in lights," Campbell says. "Before, you thought you would be letting your teammate down. Now they think they'll be publicly branded."

Which, says Cummings, is something Rance won't have to worry about. "I don't think anyone will call him soft for the rest of his career."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/is-all-on-the-line-over-the-line/2009/05/12/1241893982574.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2009, 02:30:55 PM »
Guess who turned up to train today?  :thumbsup

Sure it was in rehab and Alex only did some handballing with Cotch but talk about dedication to the cause only two days after surgery :bow  :clapping. His face didn't look to bad either. A slight bit of swelling but a lot less than you'd expect. LOL at him lifting up his lip and having a show and tell of his face so 5 of the other boys could have a close look of the surgery.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2009, 05:32:38 AM »

Alex Rance returns to training after horrific injury
Staff writer | May 13, 2009

IT wasn't the comeback, but it was good enough for now. 

Gutsy Richmond defender Alex Rance surprised his teammates yesterday, showing up for training just four days after a horrific collision with Brisbane Lions midfielder Troy Selwood.

Rance, his face still badly swollen, had plates and screws inserted into his cheekbone on Sunday to repair three small cracks in his face.

He was a sight for sore eyes during yesterday's skill session, even doing some light stationary drills with teammates at Punt Rd ahead of Richmond's clash against Port Adelaide on Sunday.

Rance is hoping to be back in action in a fortnight.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25477917-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2009, 06:49:04 PM »
Brave Rance shows his metal
By Mic Cullen 4:47 PM Thu 14 May, 2009

YOUNG Richmond defender Alex Rance is recovering well from the horrendous head-clash with Troy Selwood that left him with a fractured cheekbone and various metal structures in his face after an operation and a couple of days in hospital.

Rance is expected to miss up to three weeks, but despite the club telling him to take the week off, the 19-year-old was back just a couple of days after being released from hospital.

"He's really good – he's been in this week already despite us saying just have a rest," football manager Ross Monaghan told richmondfc.com.au.

"He just wanted to come down to the club – he didn't train yesterday, but he got his gear on and rolled some footys out for some of the other guys, just so that he was involved.

"He's in terrific spirits – he just needs to let the swelling settle a bit and I probably expect him to have a run around next week.

"His progress has been fantastic."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/76840/default.aspx

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2009, 01:57:51 AM »
How do they insert the plates? No noticeable scarring at all.
I remember when Hird smashed his face too, the surgeons did an amazing job.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2009, 08:39:33 AM »
How do they insert the plates? No noticeable scarring at all.
I remember when Hird smashed his face too, the surgeons did an amazing job.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2009, 08:42:45 AM »
im pretty sure they go from inside the mouth under the lip

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #104 on: May 21, 2009, 11:28:26 PM »
Some positive news out of the RFC from the footy show tonight ...

Rance is only a week away. He said he forgot both his parents' names in the hospital. Mum was a bit shocked although he thought she would be use to it as dad played. He's looking forward to getting back out there and playing.