Author Topic: Alex Rance [merged]  (Read 239773 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Alex Rance [merged]
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2009, 05:10:59 PM »
Rance welcomes warm road trip
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen Tue 30 June, 2009

RICHMOND youngster Alex Rance is looking forward to the Gold Coast this weekend: firstly, for the clash with Adelaide and secondly, a change of scenery.

The idea of swapping wintry Melbourne for the sun and surf of southern Queensland seems like a smart idea for most people, and especially for a 19-year-old going away with a bunch of his mates.

"It always creates a bit more camaraderie and a bit more of a bond when you're rooming with someone or you're around them a bit more," Rance said from Punt Road on Tuesday morning.

"Travel definitely creates a bit more of a team atmosphere.

"Once we get in our own little zone, and we're very much team-focused, that's when we play our best football.

"We're definitely looking forward to the challenge up there at the Gold Coast."

A challenge is definitely what Rance was handed on the weekend, tagging Saints playmaker Nick Dal Santo, and he said it was a great experience.

"Especially this early on in my career – I'm looking to fast-track track my career as fast as I can, so players like that are a challenge," he said.

"It was a nice little contest. I definitely learned a lot from him.

"He's a very talented player, and I'm trying to look at it in perspective – he's a few years ahead of me and he did get the better of me a few times."

The big story this week is the looming match between Geelong and St Kilda. While the Tigers led the Cats at the last change in round two, they were crushed by the Saints on Sunday evening and Rance said the pressure St Kilda exerted was amazing.

"It's unbelievable – it seemed like we just couldn't get the ball through into our 50," he said.

"We had single figures of inside-50s in the middle portion of the game, which you just can't do.

"That was terrific by them ... their defensive skills definitely were phenomenal."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/79690/default.aspx

Ramps

« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2009, 11:47:26 AM »
Kicking is a real concern I reckon, low possession rates also not helping. He needs to get into the game more. For the moment he needs to forget about finnicky short kicks. I would try him on a wing and even Ruck Rover in a Shane Tuck type role. Hes a big unit, hes hard at it, if he can get it more often and kick it long playing as a ruck rover type he may actually be very good.

What do people reckon.

Offline tugga

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2009, 11:53:03 AM »
CHB / HBF

His kicking is not that bad.
Agree. I don't think it's as bad as what people make out. Critcism of him is unfair at this stage. Leave him where he is. We have Post and Jack as forwards now, Rance would just be getting in the way.
We will rise again and when we do, they will know.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2009, 12:16:29 PM »
He is a 192cm tall, 19 year old who is averaging 14.4 disposals, 3.6 marks and 2.6 tackles per game from the half back line in his first season at senior level (and coming back from a sickening head clash that put him in hospital I might add).

For crying out loud give the guy a chance to develop.   :help :banghead

Ramps

« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2009, 12:35:57 PM »
He is a 192cm tall, 19 year old who is averaging 14.4 disposals, 3.6 marks and 2.6 tackles per game from the half back line in his first season at senior level (and coming back from a sickening head clash that put him in hospital I might add).

75% of his possessions seem to be handballs. I think he handballs because he doesnt want to kick the footy. We need to find a way to develop his kicking and his own confidence when it comes to kicking the footy.

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2009, 12:45:03 PM »
Ladies and Gentleman he's barely played 10 games of football.

He's 19 years old.

He's returned from a broken cheekbone.

Take a back seat and relax and let him play.
Go Tigers!

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2009, 12:45:57 PM »

Missed this post. Here here.
Go Tigers!

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2009, 12:58:10 PM »
Backline!

Centre Half Back!

Half Back Flank!

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2009, 03:05:32 PM »
I think it would be a big jump from playing with such a defensive - spoil, man-on-man, punch - mentality to a forward - lead, get into space, contested mark, kick for goal - one. He has played in defense all his career so that sort of change would require a preseason at least. I haven't really seen him mark and kick long so I have nothing to gauge his potential up forward on so I too will join in the chorus and say just leave him down the back pocket until he builds his confidence up.

He is a very young talent with a hell of a lot of upside if he can start believing in his natural ability.

Stripes

Ramps

« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2009, 05:07:57 PM »
how about Ruck Roving in the Shane Tuck mould?

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2009, 05:46:40 PM »
How about just let the kid develop without chopping and changing his role

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2009, 07:14:37 PM »
How about working on his skill deficiencies and getting him to kick more and leaving him where he is. Sometimes over analysis to find a solution can lead to overkill.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2009, 07:27:04 PM »
How about working on his skill deficiencies and getting him to kick more and leaving him where he is. Sometimes over analysis to find a solution can lead to overkill.
I think confidence is the key! i feel sorry for any young bloke who gets drafted into an environment where its supporters yell abuse at you when you walk off after a loss and then complain that we are winning when things finally fall into place! Add to that the media circus and a coach who tells a player that he has cost him his job because te pressure has finally worn him down! In the words of redgum, "i was only nineteen!"

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2009, 08:11:33 PM »
I really think he has struggled since he has come back from his head clash. If we were any good he would be back at Coburg. His kicking needs a lot of work. Yes he is young and only played 10 games or so but he has gone backward for mine! It would be really good if players at our club had to play well to keep their spot not just because they are young.

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2009, 10:20:47 PM »
fantastic effort just to get back after that clash, well done.