Author Topic: Alex Rance [merged]  (Read 209766 times)

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Re: Alex Rance [merged]
« Reply #1980 on: June 04, 2016, 12:07:53 AM »
Yeah martin needs to pull his socks up

A player of such talent should be far ahead of titch ... But he's not

Rance is the best player at the club (if not th league) by fair margin 
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond star Alex Rance is the modern-day Glenn Archer: Carey (Age)
« Reply #1981 on: June 04, 2016, 04:58:16 AM »
Richmond star Alex Rance is the modern-day Glenn Archer

Wayne Carey
The Age
4 June 2016

In the early '90s, I remember going down to Arden St to watch the Kangaroos' under-19 side and that's when I saw this kid called Glenn Archer play for the first time.

What struck me about him, apart from how hard he was at the ball, was his marking ability. For a mid-sized bloke, he was very strong overhead.

The club wasn't sure what kind of player he'd become - whether he'd be a forward or a defender - or whether he even wanted to commit to being a full-time AFL footballer. It was Denis Pagan, the under-19's coach at that time, who helped convince Arch to give footy a real crack. Early in Arch's career – he made his senior debut in 1992 - I was constantly remarking on his toughness, but it took the footy world a little bit of time to appreciate his intensity and attack on the footy.

Because of that pure aggression, and will to win, whether in the air or on the ground, Arch was able to play on all types of opponents, small and big.

He played on the great Matthew Richardson who stood 197cms, giving away 15cms. He also regularly lined up on Chris Grant (193cms) and smaller forwards such as Brad Johnson (182cms). Denis was also happy to play him on forward pockets when required. That allowed Glenn to peel off and support his fellow defenders, something he did naturally. He had this great ability to negate his opponent but then help out a teammate. All the good defenders, the ones who read the game really well, do this.

And because of his great courage, he had no problems standing in the hole at centre half-back, trying to cut off the supply to leading full-forwards such as Tony Lockett, Gary Ablett and Jason Dunstall, always a daunting prospect.

Arch also had the ability to push forward and kick vital goals when the side needed it; he was a very reliable kick.

For all those qualities, I still think his attack and ferocity at the footy is unequalled in all the time I've been involved in the game – which is almost 30 years now. Not one opponent would have enjoyed the sight of Arch coming their way before the opening bounce; they knew they'd be made to earn every kick for the next two hours.

I got to thinking about Glenn this week because there's a guy playing in Hobart tonight who reminds me a lot of him, and that's Richmond's Alex Rance. I actually think Alex is the modern-day Archer. Obviously Rance is taller and heavier – he's listed as being 194cms and 96kgs, while the media guide has Arch at 182cms and 93kgs – but that's about the only obvious difference.

Just like Archer, Rance is able to turn 30-70 situations against him into a win because of his talent, sheer competitiveness and hatred of being beaten. The Richmond man's desperation and courage in the air bring back memories of Arch, and what I witnessed at North week after week for 200-plus games.

Like Archer, Rance is at all times the consummate team player. His primary focus is to beat his opponent but the number of times he covers for his fellow-defenders by reading the play is amazing. Whether courageously going back into a pack, or leaving his man to run 30 metres and meet an oncoming opponent, Rance always puts team first.

Most of the time the Tiger takes the opposition's best forward: whether it's a tall like Lance Franklin or a small like Eddie Betts. He's played on both of those guys this year.

And you have to remember that key forwards in the modern game are much better protected than they were 20 years ago: there's no chopping of the arms, no holding allowed off the ball and the third umpire watches everything like a hawk. Also, players generally use the footy much better, so I think forwards can take advantage of those things and score a lot of easier goals.

I rate Rance as Richmond's most important player. He's just about the complete package. He's also got a bit of mongrel in him: the forearm to the back of Jack Watts' head a few weeks ago – although very much out of character – had a bit of Arch about it, too.

Comparing his stats with Glenn's, he gets more of the footy, takes more uncontested marks and lays more tackles. The contested marks were roughly even but Arch kicked a lot more goals having spent more time forward. And, of course, my old teammate had an intimidation factor that can't be measured.

Alex is a dual All-Australian and reigning Jack Dyer Medallist and, at 26, is just entering the peak of his career. Glenn, in his 311 games, was a three-time All-Australian, dual premiership winner and winner of the Norm Smith Medal in the 1996 Grand Final.

As a footballer, I think Rance is more polished and perhaps more consistent than Archer – he only plays two or three bad games a year. He's as courageous as the former North man, too.

So who would I choose if I was coaching the ultimate fantasy team? Well, both if I could. Purely as a footballer, though, I'm taking Rance; but if I'm going into the trenches, I'd want Arch by my side.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-star-alex-rance-is-the-modernday-glenn-archer-says-kangaroos-great-wayne-carey-20160602-gpa2fw.html

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #1982 on: June 04, 2016, 11:49:12 AM »
7's Commentators are always annoying but they were right with one thing last night... Where would be without this guy?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1983 on: June 04, 2016, 12:03:56 PM »
Where would be without this guy?

....about 20 goals down last night instead of 12 for a start.....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1984 on: June 04, 2016, 12:33:12 PM »
Way better than glen archer FFs
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1985 on: June 06, 2016, 06:53:58 PM »
Contact between Richmond’s Alex Rance and North Melbourne’s Jarrad Waite from the second quarter of Friday’s match was assessed. The panel said Waite took possession and was immediately tackled by Rance. Rance rotated and took Waite to the ground with one arm pinned. It is the view of the panel that the tackle was unreasonable in the circumstances and should have seen a free kick paid to the North Melbourne player. While the action constituted a free kick, the panel said high contact for Waite was caused by his head landing on the football, which was outside Rance’s control. It was the view then a report should not be laid and no further action was taken.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-06/match-review-panel-full-statement-round-11

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1986 on: June 07, 2016, 12:04:12 AM »
Contact between Richmond’s Alex Rance and North Melbourne’s Jarrad Waite from the second quarter of Friday’s match was assessed. The panel said Waite took possession and was immediately tackled by Rance. Rance rotated and took Waite to the ground with one arm pinned. It is the view of the panel that the tackle was unreasonable in the circumstances and should have seen a free kick paid to the North Melbourne player. While the action constituted a free kick, the panel said high contact for Waite was caused by his head landing on the football, which was outside Rance’s control. It was the view then a report should not be laid and no further action was taken.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-06/match-review-panel-full-statement-round-11
The game is well and truly stuffed if that was a free kick. Not because it was Alex Rance or the RFC, that was a perfect tackle. There was no intent to hurt, he was just hard and tough in the tackle.
I'd even cope the weeks if he had of knocked that pick out.
I hate North!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 12:09:41 AM by one-eyed »

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1987 on: June 07, 2016, 07:38:50 AM »

The game is well and truly stuffed if that was a free kick. Not because it was Alex Rance or the RFC, that was a perfect tackle. There was no intent to hurt, he was just hard and tough in the tackle.
I'd even cope the weeks if he had of knocked that pick out.
I hate North!

A lot on people feel the same way ...

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1988 on: July 01, 2016, 10:23:13 PM »
 :bow

tony_montana

« Reply #1989 on: July 01, 2016, 10:25:36 PM »
If you lined up every afl player in the yard would
Be one of the first 3-4 picked

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1990 on: July 03, 2016, 10:58:12 PM »
From Jon Ralph's "Likes" column:

3. ALEX RANCE

Let’s not even consider the basket case Richmond’s backline — and form line — would be without this colossus.

The question was raised on Friday night’s telecast whether he was the greatest defender of the modern era.

In the Fox Footy green room, Dermott Brereton wondered out loud: but what about Carlton champion Bruce Doull?

Case rested, your honour.

If we are even daring to mention Rance in the same sentence as Doull, this bloke is a champion.

We can’t forget the greatness of Dustin Fletcher and Matthew Scarlett, who stopped the best then later ended up playing on inferior forwards to maximise their bounce from the backline.

But right now, it’s hard to think of a key defender in the past generation who has his extraordinary mix of intercept marking, timing, strong hands, selfless play to leave his man, and rebound from defence.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/jon-ralph/jon-ralphs-likes-and-dislikes-from-round-15-dreamers-good-blokes-and-ty-vickery-dummy-spits/news-story/11ec302813898c207fb690a4301c8acd

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1991 on: July 04, 2016, 03:37:57 PM »
Such a shame that his prime is being wasted .
Unleash the tornado

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1992 on: July 04, 2016, 03:45:31 PM »
(Way) Better than Scarlett

Fletcher lol

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1993 on: July 04, 2016, 04:08:59 PM »
its a shame some of our own supporters dont give him full credit for the player he is

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1994 on: July 04, 2016, 04:16:44 PM »
its a shame some of our own supporters dont give him full credit for the player he is

Some of the same people whom rate grigg Hampson Chaplin

Unbelievable