Author Topic: Wallace and Miller's annual reports  (Read 8061 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace and Miller's annual reports
« on: December 01, 2007, 12:18:03 AM »
Senior Coach’s Annual Report
Terry Wallace
November 29, 2007

When you finish the season in 16th position, there is no other way of saying it, other than that 2007 was a terribly disappointing year for the Richmond Football Club.

Clearly, we made ground through getting games into some of our younger, inexperienced players, and in the last month of the season the playing group showed they did have the capabilities. The time has now come, however, for the group to take some giant strides forward.

In the previous couple of years, we won games largely due to an experienced core of players that were still at the Club. But, in reality, some of these players were never going to be part of our next genuinely successful team. Tough decisions were required to open up opportunities for young players such as Thursfield, McGuane, Foley and King, etc., to develop their football.

With the likes of Gaspar, Kellaway, Stafford and Chaffey gone, plus no return at all from Hall, Knobel, Kingsley, Simmonds and P. Bowden, due to injuries, our side was left extremely light on for body size, strength and overall experience against most teams in the competition.

We have been able to witness through our VFL affiliate, Coburg, that our youngsters possess the natural ability to play very impressive football. But some of them need to realise that they now have to step up and make their mark at the elite AFL level.

When you look at the better performed teams throughout the 2007 season, most of them had a group of players taking a quantum leap in performance and playing the best football of their lives. Geelong was the obvious improver, but teams such as the Kangaroos showed that if you can get 68 players taking a huge step forward, it allows you to match it with the competition's best.

The reality at Tigerland this year was that two of our smallest players, in Nathan Foley and Jacob King, were the only squad members who took massive strides forward... It also was great to see two young defenders, in Will Thursfield and Luke McGuane, show that they have what it takes to develop into quality players for the Club in the future. Overall, however, we simply did not have enough players perform at their very best in 2007.

One genuine positive about our playing structure is that in three years we have gone from virtually the slowest team in the competition, to a side with genuine speed and run. Our ability to get across the ground certainly caused some teams real problems late in the season. When we can combine a tough, physical, one-on-one game style, with this run and carry, it will be a damaging formula for us.

As senior coach, I have established for not only the playing group, but the entire Club, five key areas of focus in ZO08...

1. FAITH IN THE CLUB'S DIRECTION

Once again, through the trade period and National Draft, it is dearly evident the direction we are heading. Our aim has always been to get as many young players together as possible, to formulate a team capable of regularly playing finals football. I realise supporters can become impatient, but the development of our own players will hold us in good stead for a decade or more...

2. DEVELOP OUR OWN STARS

The selection of players through the trade period and National Draft is one part, but we need to fasttrack and develop our own players as well. The importance of getting the very best out of what we bring to the Club is a critical component for success. We have shown through the fast-tracking of rookies such as Foley and King that we have coaches, who can get the very best out of players. This development work needs to continue across the entire Club.

3. TEAM-ORIENTED GAME STYLE

The best teams in the competition have a game structure not based on individual brilliance. They are structured in such a way that any player can come in and fill a given role at any point of time during the season. The manner in which we intend to play was certainly on display late in the season and our coaching staff, along with the playing group, will continue to work to hone this, so that every player has a clear understanding of precisely what's required. From now on, our players competing at VFL level with Coburg, will also be coached exactly the way we want them to play at AFL level with Richmond.

4. MENTAL TOUGHNESS

This year we played in eight games where the final margin was less than 25 points, yet we could salvage only a draw out of these eight matches. Obviously, our players' growing maturity will help their bodies develop physically, but we also need to work on some tools over the summer months to enhance their mental toughness. Game day is more a confidence issue. When you are confident that you have the tools to deal with tough situations, you handle them far more maturely and competently. This is the players' challenge over summer.

5. TEAM ATTITUDE

I still believe in my first three years at the Club, we have not yet achieved a completely selfless approach within our playing group. We need our senior players and team leaders to show the way and play with a team-first approach. As senior coach, I will be demanding this from all our players.

On a personal note, I would like to thank everyone at the Club for their support in what was a particularly tough season. The current playing group know, and understand, that they have a huge responsibility to turn around this Club's fortunes. We all genuinely believe, however, that we are absolutely heading down the right track. Sometimes, when you seem to be taking a step backwards, you are actually going forwards at a rapid rate. This is evident to those within the Club, but it is now time for us to show the football world that the Tigers will once again be a force to be reckoned with...

Terry Wallace
Senior Coach

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Wallace and Miller's annual reports
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 03:04:50 AM »
FOOTBALL DEPARTMENT’S ANNUAL REPORT
Greg Miller
November 29, 2007

It is better to take the positives from the year and look ahead, than dwell on what was a most disappointing season for the club on-field.

I strongly believe we are setting up our playing stocks for sustained success. Getting games under the belts of our younger brigade, evaluating their ability to take us to finals success, and targeting specific types through trades and drafts, ultimately will lead to a group coming through together, all hungry for team success.

The signs of development became more evident late in the season when our young team, having gained valuable experience throughout the year, started to play some good football.

More confirmation of the development of our young group was seen in the VFL finals series, as Coburg made its way through to the grand final.

The appointment of one of our 2007 assistant coaches, Jade Rawlings, as Coburg's coach for 2008, reinforces the importance of our VFL alignment and recognises the value of this relationship.

The dynamics and camaraderie within our young playing group is most impressive. And, the appointment late last year of Craig McRae as the Club's Development Manager, along with the Board's decision to upgrade development and training throughout the Club, will only aid what is a fine crop of young men. Leaders are emerging, talent is developing, and a sense of "it is now up to us", is evident.

We saw, first-hand this year, the need for patience and belief, with Geelong finishing off an eight-year build-up to win the 2007 premiership in such emphatic style. At times during that eight-year period, the Cats seemingly went backwards (2003 and 2006), and they copped media pressure and supporter alarm. However, they stuck to their plan and when the group was at the right age, right mindset, and had the right experience, they achieved the ultimate goal.

Terry Wallace, from day one as coach of the Richmond Football Club, has aspired to the Geelong philosophy - strong administration, strong support for each other, and building the playing stocks for sustained success. All football decisions are made with this philosophy in mind...

Throughout the 2007 season, on an individual basis, Nathan Foley, Adam Pattison, Graham Polak and Jacob King, put their hands up week after week to help the team out. I would also like to acknowledge our captain, Kane Johnson, for his tireless work with the playing group off-field in educating, cajoling and keeping the spirits up during a difficult time. And, a special mention to Matthew Richardson} who again played his heart out every time he pulled on the Richmond jumper, and was finally rewarded with his first Jack Dyer Medal.

The Club's football division has gone from 10 staff just three years back, deficient in recruiting, developing and material resources, to a planned 15 for 2008. Thanks to excellent management, and a stable, strategic Board, we can finally offer Terry Wallace the armory to realise the Club's meticulously planned premiership assault.

We are very thankful for the many support staff and volunteers in the football department, who give much of their time and effort to help us function. The work these people do behind the scenes is vital to getting our team on the field each week during the season.

Finally, a little piece of advice: Don't look back - look where we are going, and you will enjoy all that the Richmond Football Club has to offer in its AFL/VFL Centenary Year.

Greg Miller
Director of Football

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 06:38:52 AM »
cant wait to read jackstars responce to this

Passionfruit

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 08:41:33 AM »
Wallace actually saying that we have gone from the slowest team to GENIUNE SPEED AND RUN.. Ability to get across the ground.
 ::)
I cannot beleive people beleive in this garbage
For all of you who post on here. sign up with BIGPOND. and spend the rest  of the week watching games from rounds  1-18.
You will see a football team go backwards , sideways and be the worst run and carry team in the league. Thats why we finished bottom.
I could go on and on but whats the point.

And Terry heading down the right track, I will give you the directions to Centrelink Terry ,because thats the direction you are heading in,.
Today isnt December 1st, its April the 1st

Passionfruit

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 08:46:10 AM »
And Terry, aspire to your own philosophy, dont worry about Geelong.
Why ? The game changes continually and all coaches are unique in the own ways. You certainly are :lol

Passionfruit

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 08:58:35 AM »
Terry stating no return from Bowden and Kingsley, guess what, you recruited them ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
People dont realise that Clubs like the Bulldogs and Geelong was rapt to see the backs of these 2, Terry thought different.
Can see Jordon McMahon being the new tiger whipping boy after round 2

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 12:56:56 PM »
You post this:

Then make two more posts

Change you name to Jokster and stay on bigpond

richmondrules

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 12:58:38 PM »
Do realise how bitter your posts make you appear Jackstar? It's not a good look. If you were like this while you were at the RCF there is little wonder that you are no longer there. I'd get rid of someone with that sort of attitude if they were working for me, and I'm a softy.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 01:07:32 PM »
i warned yas

by the way jackstar, we are a very fast unit now, maybe we finished 16th, but we are sstill a fast team

Passionfruit

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 03:42:57 PM »
Do realise how bitter your posts make you appear Jackstar? It's not a good look. If you were like this while you were at the RCF there is little wonder that you are no longer there. I'd get rid of someone with that sort of attitude if they were working for me, and I'm a softy.

Bitter, nah.
Facts, yes!

Passionfruit

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 03:46:33 PM »
You post this:

Then make two more posts

Change you name to Jokster and stay on bigpond

Well the facts are the we were the most indirect short kicking team in the comp after the Round 18. FACT!
I am tipping you wont see any of that crap next year, if you do,
There will be a new coach by mid season

Passionfruit

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 03:47:39 PM »

By the way, I walked

Moi

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 03:52:29 PM »
By the way, I walked
Then why were you whinging that Terry never returned your phone calls  :rollin
You're so full of crap  :lol

richmondrules

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 03:57:02 PM »

Bitter, nah.
Facts, yes!

Well as long as your happy.

richmondrules

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 03:58:47 PM »

By the way, I walked

See above.