Author Topic: NFL thread  (Read 66609 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger eyes to turn towards Super Bowl .............. (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #750 on: February 06, 2016, 03:07:06 AM »
Tiger eyes to turn towards Super Bowl

Herald-Sun
February 6, 2016

RICHMOND players will be watching Monday’s Super Bowl with more interest than most, all because of Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton.

Newton, the likely NFL MVP, will play in his first Super Bowl after leading the Panthers to an incredible 17-1 record this season.

But the Tigers may be taking some of the credit after helping Newton refine his non-existent footy skills on a trip to Tigerland.

Newton travelled to Australia last July, training with Richmond at Punt Road and watching the team face off against the GWS Giants at the MCG.

Key defender David Astbury was clearly a massive fan, wearing Newton’s guernsey when he met the quarterback, but he claimed there were Tigers who were even worse.

“Some blokes probably took it a little bit too far,” Astbury said.

“With Brett Deledio it was a bit cringe-worthy.

“He had to google NFL to understand what it was and then he found out that Cam earns more money than him, so that’s probably why he was so impressed.”

Midfielder Shaun Grigg agreed and said despite Astbury’s choice of attire, he acted responsibly.

“(Astbury) wasn’t too bad, he was a bit too shy and a bit scared,” Grigg explained.

“I tried to talk to Cam a couple of times but got rudely interrupted by Chris Newman.”

Grigg is the resident gridiron expert at Tigerland after winning the club’s fantasy NFL competition for the second year running.

He did so without Newton in his squad, instead watching as teammate Dustin Martin squandered his talents.

“(Newton) was in Dusty’s team and he sat on the bench all year, so Dusty didn’t have too much of an idea,” Grigg said.

Newton’s Carolina Panthers will face Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl 50, which can be watched live at 10:30AM AEDT on Monday.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-tigers-players-to-support-carolina-panthers-quarterback-cam-newton-in-super-bowl-after-visit/news-story/30c6fe18f9d1cb984b39b199d6c97167

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: NFL 15/16
« Reply #751 on: February 08, 2016, 12:42:56 PM »
The Panthers are lucky to be only 7-13 down at half-time. They've made every mistake in the book on offense. A game of defence so far which suits Denver.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #752 on: February 08, 2016, 01:14:32 PM »
The Panthers are lucky to be only 7-13 down at half-time. They've made every mistake in the book on offense. A game of defence so far which suits Denver.

Would appear the RFC connection is greater than we thought   :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #753 on: February 08, 2016, 01:30:39 PM »

:cheers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #754 on: February 08, 2016, 02:41:41 PM »
:snidegrin

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
NFL 16/17
« Reply #755 on: September 19, 2016, 07:09:36 AM »
2-0 G-Men

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: NFL 16/17
« Reply #756 on: September 19, 2016, 12:16:53 PM »
bengals now 1-1

Lost to the Steelers today 16 -24

Seriously, Marvin Lewis makes Dimma look like a genius

OVer 10 years in the job and hasn't won anything in the post season.... if you want to see a bloke that should be sacked but never gets close to it have a look at Marvin the Magician Lewis 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

dwaino

« Reply #757 on: September 19, 2016, 12:45:20 PM »
Don't worry Billy, I'm still waiting for the Lions to have a decent offense despite year after year saying it is being addressed. Our head coach was QB coach at Colts during Peyton's years and the OC at Baltimore when they won it FFS. Classy defense but already I can tell it will be another crappy season of low scoring. Yet again we were on top at half time only to add a FG for the rest of the game and lost by a point.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #758 on: September 19, 2016, 03:14:50 PM »
Baltimore won it in large because it had one of the best D's in living memory

RayRay and Suggs plus plenty more

dwaino

« Reply #759 on: September 19, 2016, 03:43:04 PM »
Yep. Was just alluding to the fact that we can appoint decent people to address a deficiency and it still doesn't change anything. I guess that's why it's hockey town and not football town. Basketball and NFL should just pack up from D town, not going anywhere. Best thing from there is Tim the Toolman  ;D

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #760 on: September 19, 2016, 04:58:47 PM »
Tarring Dee-troit basketball with your Lion brush is a shocker.

They will be good this year, Van Gundy has things on the right track.

Plus, they had the bad boys era, they had the Dumars era.

A lot of NBA teams would do anything to have the history of the Pistons.

dwaino

« Reply #761 on: September 19, 2016, 05:14:50 PM »
It's not far from the truth. 80s-90s Pistons with Rodman, Thomas, Dumar etc long gone, just a memory. Auburn has had declining crowds for 15 years and is the butt of many jokes. Much like the city itself and players of any sport don't want to go there. Was looking up briefly there with Drummond, CP and Monroe but Monroe leaving was a kick in the guts. I'll believe it when I see it. It's a tough division with the Cavs, Pacers, Bulls never down for long. Still the best thing out of the D are the Wings, 25 seasons and counting. I'm sure you will disagree though as you do.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #762 on: September 19, 2016, 05:35:55 PM »
From 2001 to 2007 the Detroit Pistons made the Eastern Conference finals 6 years in a row.

They have been rank since then.

But I think you are ignoring an exceptional period for the franchise.

It was the Big Ben, Rip, Chauncey, Sheed, Tayshaun period. At which point Dumars was in charge of basketball operations.

I'm not disagreeing at how good the Red Wings are. Just completely disagreeing with lumping the Pistons with the joke Lions.

dwaino

« Reply #763 on: September 19, 2016, 06:10:00 PM »
They were competitive through then but they were still on the way down from being conference champs and there has been very little upside since. I really like Caldwell-Pope and 15/16 was definitely an improvement on the past I just don't see where the significant improvement will come from. When I was in the NBA store in NY not long ago and after aimlessly wandering the 3 levels a store assistant asked who my team was and proceeded to show to a massive range of two different hats and a Drummond t-shirt  :thumbsdown :-[ it probably sounds trivial but I've always taken into account a team's ability to move merchandise because at the end of the day who can stuffed spending money on losers unless they're the miserable rusted on types like us to who keep coughing up for the Tiges.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #764 on: November 21, 2016, 12:00:41 PM »
GMEN rolling!!!

And Detroit right in the thick of it after a shaky start Dwaino