Author Topic: We need to fine-tune: Wallace  (Read 13343 times)

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: We need to fine-tune: Wallace
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 11:43:05 AM »
forgetting about our youth for a second. our senior core would hardly get a game at any of the top clubs and thats a fact.

at the end of the day most of these guys play for the pay packet not the jumper.
u wonder why otto and rodan left punt road. i tell u what there will be some more that will follow that lead, make no mistake about that.
we have no heart and thats why we will lost good quality players to clubs who have a ticker

ill get blasted for this but clubs like the hawks and pies play with heart. never give up attitude.
terry had this at the buldogs so why the hell dont we have it at punt road.
whats the blood. reason tell me??

Rodan was delisted, he didnt want to leave.

But I'll give you rest.  I think our kids will be just fine.

I just wish they could grow up quicker to get rid of our "senior" player who are just rotten.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 03:46:54 PM »
our captain and coach would have to be the 2 worst in the league.
wallace has changed nothing in his team since he arrived. If he was so hell bent on change and youth, what the hell is tivers, hyde and that pathetic johnson still doing on our list.
allright johnson is not that old but he is useless.
We cannot be taken serious if the younger guys are looking up to a guy who barely speaks out on the field. He is a outright disgrace and i would rather see out pick 80 in the 2001 draft get a game than this guy.

we will go nowhere with this list, the seniors players lack skill and spark and players like raines. well give me a break. the guy is so far up himself its not funny.
see what happens when you get signed up. another schulz in the making that guy

The on-field results haven't changed so far but the list has. It's just very young where the talent is with 22 of our post-2004 recruits aged 21 and under. Not all of these will make it either. Compare that to what Spud left us - just 9 U23's.

Sugar is oldish  (29 y.o.) and his body is stuffed. I can't see him going beyond this year. Really he's just there to get crunched instead of a cub whose body isn't ready as yet for the weekly rigours of AFL footy. No point throwing a kid to the wolves in the guts and his body is stuffed by the time we need him (i.e. Luke Ball). Johnson does talk out on the field and encourage if people are willing to look but we as a side are simply not good enough.

As for the 2001 draft. How we wish we had players from that super draft. Guess what we don't have any! It is this 23-27 y.o. group that should be our core now and making up around half our list but we have only 7 Tigers remaining from 2002 - Richo, Bowden, Tivs, Cogs, Newman, Pettifer and Hyde. We are still paying for the disasterous quick-fixes of the past.

As for Wallace he'll probably be the fallguy come 2009 and we will be where Hawthorn was when Clarson arrived with a new coach with a free licence and a list that has a large young group coming through that is 2 years off hitting their prime.

---------------------------
bold - 15 pre-Wallace Tigers
Games played in brackets
Age at Jan 1, 2008.

32: Richo (256)
29: Bowden (235), Brown (188), Johnson (202), Simmonds (157)
28: Tivendale (185)
---------------------
27: -
26: Tuck (69)
25: Coughlan (83), Hyde (82), Newman (111), Pettifer (103)
24: McMahon (114)
23: Moore (24), Polak (95), King (19)
22: Foley (49), Schulz (49), Howat# (20), Cartledge# (7), Silvester# (-)
---------------------
21: Raines (51), Jackson (36), Meyer (17), Pattison (35), Polo (25), Tambling (53), Thursfield (22)
20: Casserly (-), Deledio (62), Hughes (10), McGuane (16), Morton (12), White (18), Graham (2)
19: Collins (-), Connors (4), Edwards (16), JON (7), Riewoldt (8), Collard# (1)
18: Cotchin (-), Rance (-), Putt (-), Gourdis (-)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 04:10:49 PM »
We need to fine-tune: Wallace
 Ben Casanelia
 7:35 PM Fri 07 March, 2008

“We’ve played Sydney, St Kilda and Geelong who we think are three of the better sides in the competition. Personally, I would rather go into a season proper having played the best and ironing out a few things rather than running around and getting false impressions of where you are at playing against inferior sides.

what is this guy on
WE are the inferior side of the whole competition

That is unfair, Demons are an absolute joke.
Dees are getting pumped by the Roos in their practice match.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 05:37:04 PM »
No matter what happens this year, I think we could review 2 areas:-

1. REcruiting - our 1st round picks on surface appear worse than our 3 or 4th rounds picks or even rookies.  It is like we have one person doing the 1st round and someone else picking the others
2. GReg Miller to trading is like Ben Cousins to Ice - he has a problem that requires an intervention.
LOL @ point 2.

We've only really started to increase resources in recruiting last year. Bringing Craig Cameron over from Melbourne to join Francis Jackson. I presume more into scouting too. Miller hopefully will take a back seat. As for the trade table we should not be trading away top 20 picks. The draft is about trying to accumulate more early picks to give you the best chance to score the best talent each year; not trading them away  :scream.

For now, I just think we should back off a little bit, the Cats are at least 4-5 goals better than anyone else in the comp, we are going to have bad losses again this year but as long as we get 8-11 wins we will see development and feel hope.

That's the theme for 08, right?
Closer to 8 wins than 11 IMO and like most young sides up and down like a yo-yo.

Little Jackie

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 05:57:27 PM »

1. REcruiting - our 1st round picks on surface appear worse than our 3 or 4th rounds picks or even rookies.  It is like we have one person doing the 1st round and someone else picking the others
2. GReg Miller to trading is like Ben Cousins to Ice - he has a problem that requires an intervention.
LOL @ point 2.

We've only really started to increase resources in recruiting last year. Bringing Craig Cameron over from Melbourne to join Francis Jackson. I presume more into scouting too. Miller hopefully will take a back seat. As for the trade table we should not be trading away top 20 picks. The draft is about trying to accumulate more early picks to give you the best chance to score the best talent each year; not trading them away  :scream.

For now, I just think we should back off a little bit, the Cats are at least 4-5 goals better than anyone else in the comp, we are going to have bad losses again this year but as long as we get 8-11 wins we will see development and feel hope.

Closer to 8 wins than 11 IMO and like most young sides up and down like a yo-yo.

What pick with Jordon McMahon traded for ?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 06:26:37 PM »

LOL @ point 2.

What pick with Jordon McMahon traded for ?
Pick 19 (Scott Selwood) as if you didn't know  :wallywink
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 06:50:33 PM by one-eyed »

Little Jackie

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 06:54:48 PM »
So therefore. you dont agree with there recruiting policy?
Can tell you seen heaps of Jordon McMahon over a number of years, is a very ordinary player, I can tell you that! He has some terrible habits, thus the doggies were glad to see his back!
We trade a valuable pick for a player thats just an average/ordinary player, now thats good recruiting and thats why the RFC is going no where my friend!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 08:40:59 PM »
So therefore. you dont agree with there recruiting policy?
It's not as black and white as that.

Overall we are drafting for youth so I agree with that. Recruited 22 cubs from 4 drafts. There's three choices I didn't agree with - JON (wanted Mitch Clark), Kingsley (too old even though he was cheap) and McMahon (we shouldn't have traded pick 19 anyway. Missing out on Scott Selwood makes the decision even worse).

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 10:14:06 PM »
 Ben Casanelia

The Tiger coach surprisingly said winning was not always a good thing at this time of the year.

“Winning sometimes masks things you really need to be working on,” he said.

Source: for richmondfc.com.au
It would be nice once in a while to actually win a game that we are expected to lose!!! Whether we win or lose nothing masks the fact that we need to learn how to recruit some players who have skill to go with athletic ability. RFC seems to have big problems picking players with both attributes

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 10:17:50 PM »
 Ben Casanelia

The Tiger coach surprisingly said winning was not always a good thing at this time of the year.

“Winning sometimes masks things you really need to be working on,” he said.

Source: for richmondfc.com.au
It would be nice once in a while to actually win a game that we are expected to lose!!! Whether we win or lose nothing masks the fact that we need to learn how to recruit some players who have skill to go with athletic ability. RFC seems to have big problems picking players with both attributes

good post :thumbsup

Tigermonk

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 11:48:24 PM »
MT you always fall back on the fact we are & dont chuck them to the wolves
when infact all other clubs play there youngsters & they handle the AFL just look at some youngsters who thrived in the NAB series
notice none of them were Tiger players  :lol :lol
a youngster tagged Goodwin in tonights GF
stop with your youth policy turnover rubbish cause its not the case at Richmond
we been rebuilding for years & years just we got the wrong people rebuilding us
Richmond is struggling from bad coaches & bad choices plain simple fact
l think that you turning up to training all the time makes you beleive these tigertales that your always trying to protect them with your age & draft turnover & the not ready for senior football posts
l can tell you from my work within the afl that these youngsters are better trained than you think & ready to take it on & most played senior footy at a young age & against tougher men thats why they get picked to train & play for the U18 comp to be drafted & some spending 2 years within the ranks
l'm tired of poor excuses from supporters & the spin from Tigerland its too much
l'm not sitting here for another year going over & over the same spin l had enough Richmond are just plain pooh l rather spend my time watching good games
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 08:27:38 AM by Tigermonk »

Little Jackie

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2008, 09:15:36 AM »
MT you always fall back on the fact we are & dont chuck them to the wolves
when infact all other clubs play there youngsters & they handle the AFL just look at some youngsters who thrived in the NAB series
notice none of them were Tiger players  :lol :lol
a youngster tagged Goodwin in tonights GF
stop with your youth policy turnover rubbish cause its not the case at Richmond
we been rebuilding for years & years just we got the wrong people rebuilding us
Richmond is struggling from bad coaches & bad choices plain simple fact
l think that you turning up to training all the time makes you beleive these tigertales that your always trying to protect them with your age & draft turnover & the not ready for senior football posts
l can tell you from my work within the afl that these youngsters are better trained than you think & ready to take it on & most played senior footy at a young age & against tougher men thats why they get picked to train & play for the U18 comp to be drafted & some spending 2 years within the ranks
l'm tired of poor excuses from supporters & the spin from Tigerland its too much
l'm not sitting here for another year going over & over the same spin l had enough Richmond are just plain pooh l rather spend my time watching good games

Fantastic post and I totally agree.
Watch some great kids in the pre season games this year perform well, havent seen any at our club.
The age theory is complete rubbish and just another lame excuse.
Tell you something MT, come and watch a few games with me this year and I will point a few things out to you.
Richmonds problem is that we are extremely poorly coached and have and still are recruiting poorly, we dont develop players when they are at the club which further esculates the problems we have.
And might also say that some of the kids we have arent much good either. These kids have been picked up in the past 2-3 years under the Wallace reign
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 09:55:25 AM by Jackstar »

Tigermonk

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2008, 09:51:36 AM »

Fantastic post and I totally agree.
Watch some great kids in the pre season games this year perform well, havent seen any at our club.
The age theory is complete rubbish and just another lame excuse.
Tell you something MT, come and watch a few games with me this year and I will point a few things out to you.
Richmonds problem is that we are extremely poorly coached and have and still are recruiting poorly, we dont develop players when they are at the club which further esculates the problems we have.
The might also say that some of the kids we have arent much good either. These kids have been picked up in the past 2-3 years under the Wallace reign

:clapping :clapping :clapping :thumbsup

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2008, 12:27:21 PM »

Sugar is oldish  (29 y.o.) and his body is stuffed. I can't see him going beyond this year. Really he's just there to get crunched instead of a cub whose body isn't ready as yet for the weekly rigours of AFL footy.

what i see is a guy who is bringing all the younger guys down with him.
i watch him every week and what i see is someone who should not be on a afl list. he is the equivalent of lance whitnall minus 15 kilo's.
at least lance kicked a few goals, what the hell does sugar actually do. he is slow, kicks it to the opposition, never will inspire and lead the team to victory.

absolutely useless

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2008, 12:47:15 PM »
our captain and coach would have to be the 2 worst in the league.
wallace has changed nothing in his team since he arrived. If he was so hell bent on change and youth, what the hell is tivers, hyde and that pathetic johnson still doing on our list.
allright johnson is not that old but he is useless.
We cannot be taken serious if the younger guys are looking up to a guy who barely speaks out on the field. He is a outright disgrace and i would rather see out pick 80 in the 2001 draft get a game than this guy.

we will go nowhere with this list, the seniors players lack skill and spark and players like raines. well give me a break. the guy is so far up himself its not funny.
see what happens when you get signed up. another schulz in the making that guy

The on-field results haven't changed so far but the list has. It's just very young where the talent is with 22 of our post-2004 recruits aged 21 and under. Not all of these will make it either. Compare that to what Spud left us - just 9 U23's.

Sugar is oldish  (29 y.o.) and his body is stuffed. I can't see him going beyond this year. Really he's just there to get crunched instead of a cub whose body isn't ready as yet for the weekly rigours of AFL footy. No point throwing a kid to the wolves in the guts and his body is stuffed by the time we need him (i.e. Luke Ball). Johnson does talk out on the field and encourage if people are willing to look but we as a side are simply not good enough.

As for the 2001 draft. How we wish we had players from that super draft. Guess what we don't have any! It is this 23-27 y.o. group that should be our core now and making up around half our list but we have only 7 Tigers remaining from 2002 - Richo, Bowden, Tivs, Cogs, Newman, Pettifer and Hyde. We are still paying for the disasterous quick-fixes of the past.

As for Wallace he'll probably be the fallguy come 2009 and we will be where Hawthorn was when Clarson arrived with a new coach with a free licence and a list that has a large young group coming through that is 2 years off hitting their prime.

---------------------------
bold - 15 pre-Wallace Tigers
Games played in brackets
Age at Jan 1, 2008.

32: Richo (256)
29: Bowden (235), Brown (188), Johnson (202), Simmonds (157)
28: Tivendale (185)
---------------------
27: -
26: Tuck (69)
25: Coughlan (83), Hyde (82), Newman (111), Pettifer (103)
24: McMahon (114)
23: Moore (24), Polak (95), King (19)
22: Foley (49), Schulz (49), Howat# (20), Cartledge# (7), Silvester# (-)
---------------------
21: Raines (51), Jackson (36), Meyer (17), Pattison (35), Polo (25), Tambling (53), Thursfield (22)
20: Casserly (-), Deledio (62), Hughes (10), McGuane (16), Morton (12), White (18), Graham (2)
19: Collins (-), Connors (4), Edwards (16), JON (7), Riewoldt (8), Collard# (1)
18: Cotchin (-), Rance (-), Putt (-), Gourdis (-)

Oldest XXII on the list.

Bowden Silvester Moore
Newman Polak McMahon
Hyde Tuck King
Pettifer Richo Howat
Brown Schultz Jackson
Simmonds Johnson Foley
Tivendale Cartledge Cogs Raines

>:(