Author Topic: RFC website [merged]  (Read 19830 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: RFC Website
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2009, 12:22:28 AM »
Being a baseball fan I can say the MLB sites are fantastic and far superior to the crappy AFL sites.

I think the NFL surpasses even MLB in this regard. MLB seems to have a more complicated TV deal structure.

But if you go on the NFL site you get

* highlights literally a minute after they happen
* the option to buy one off games
* free video during the week including panel shows and analysis

The big problem that we have (and even the Premier League in the UK) is a traditionally protectionist view towards our broadcasting. If you go on the ABC website overseas you can't access the content, just as we can't access the BBC content. If they wanted to join the US in the 21st century, they could ask for a small payment from overseas visitors, or place some ads on the site with relevance to where the person's proxy determines they are. A user pays system would be great for everyone.

Part of the problem is that the deals that the AFL secure are too long-term to be flexible in terms of keeping up with technology.
Yep Telstra pay plenty of $$$ for exclusive internet (and mobile) rights with the AFL. The current deal is worth $60m over 5 years up to 2011 from memory. They just don't want to offer a service (if you can call it that) to the AFL but also to use the deal to get users to join Telstra Bigpond. Clubs get something like $2m out of it IIRC so unless a club  can find a sponsor/company willing to pay that kind of dough they will accept a Telstra run website no matter how inferior it is to Essendon's.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 04:10:17 PM »
Is there something majorly wrong with the Telstra-run official sites?

The RFC site is showing news from before Christmas  ???. The AFL site is too and the anti-virus popped up calling it an unsafe site  ;D with a virus threat in a link to an Essendon video.

Anyone else seeing the same problem?

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 04:39:08 PM »
I just looked at the AFL site and all the articles are from the 16th December. Although the Essendon Season Highlights video worked for me.

Seems a bit strange but then again it is Telstra, the sooner the AFL gets someone else to run the websites the better.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2010, 04:42:30 PM »
Same thing here MT. Interestingly the AFL google gadget on my browser's home page is showing those same news articles. Not running windows, I dont have an anti virus installed, so cant comment on that part.

The membership total on RFC site seems to be up to date though.

Agree jacosh, Telstra and micro$oft with their proprietary media gives me the poos

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2010, 05:01:54 PM »
The membership counter always has the same filename (they just overwrite it) so that's why it's up to date. Seems the webpage file is pointing to an old cache one at Telstra's end.

the sooner the AFL gets someone else to run the websites the better.
Hellalujah!  :yep

Offline dizza

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »
it seems as though every club's website is almost identical, and the way that they are set out is hopeless.
Push up!

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 09:37:21 PM »
The membership counter always has the same filename (they just overwrite it) so that's why it's up to date. Seems the webpage file is pointing to an old cache one at Telstra's end.

the sooner the AFL gets someone else to run the websites the better.
Hellalujah!  :yep

I agree. Its not a great site. 

The list of past players could be split into their stats and the years they played etc. 
When you choose to view the senior list you can't then get back to the rookie list.
There's no forum's for discussion.
The notice board is hidden in the club menu and why isn't the noticeboard the same as the news?
Isn't community also part of the fan zone?

It's all a bit of a schmozzle and I think needs to be rethought out, probably using some web stats showing what people use

There's a pile of other improvements I'd put into it

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2010, 10:07:25 PM »
This is what a sports club website should look like. Clean Professional. All the info you want. Puts other websites to shame.

http://www.smfc.com.au/

Its tricky to read the sub menus on that site. It doesn't expand to the width of your screen (few sites do, buggered if I know why, html auto sizes to the width of the screen). 
No video highlights of current games and you can't buy past games.

When you go to the shop its an entirely new page.  Clicking on the SMFC logo in the store page doesn't take you to the SMFC home page (thats a web standard)  but they do put an smfc.com.au link on the store site.

Given that its a local soccer club I can understand it, its ok not Wow.  All the AFL sites are the same, no links into facebook etc.  They all need to get with the social networking phenomenon and use it for club profit.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2010, 10:19:56 PM »
Noticed they've touched up the RFC website slightly with a new banner plus side images instead of the usual plain black background.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2010, 10:44:06 PM »
C'mon guys give the AFL a break, they are probably too busy designing the GC17 wesite for 2011 at the moment.... :whistle
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2010, 11:05:47 PM »
Noticed they've touched up the RFC website slightly with a new banner plus side images instead of the usual plain black background.

Small issue but should've had Martin instead of Hardwick in the group shot.

Ox

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2010, 11:15:40 PM »
That site has the herpes simplex virus

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2010, 09:09:31 AM »

Small issue but should've had Martin instead of Hardwick in the group shot.

I notice Cotchin is in the group shot. I hope that means he's staying... :pray
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2010, 01:46:50 PM »
The newbies photos in their Richmond guernsey are up on the RFC website.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/players/tabid/7689/season/2009/category/senior/default.aspx

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2010, 02:02:25 PM »
Wow that a lot of new faces.

Let's hope 6-7 become stars for us.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do