Author Topic: Should Richmond chase after Jonathan Brown?  (Read 5785 times)

Tigermonk

Re: Should Richmond chase after Jonathan Brown?
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2008, 12:40:26 PM »
The Swans did it with Lockett. Played 98 games for 462 goals and really made them extremely competitive. I'm pretty sure they signed him for 5 years. He was also 29 when he signed up with them. There are plenty of parallels to take out of this. Swans had a young up and coming team with lockett leading the way for them. Both Lockett and Brown are almost identical in the way they play the game. Taking all this into account, I would say go for it! The benefits for our club would well and truly outweigh any negatives.  :thumbsup

good post Tiga, l'm not in favor for Richmond to chase Brown but the club needs some mongrel & a player who instills fear into his opponant & Brown could be a advantage to the club in this sence as long as he is kicking 3-5 a week l could change my mind, what l do like about Johnathan Brown is that he dont shy away from a contest like Fiora  :rollin

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2008, 01:37:31 PM »
seriously i think your all dreaming.

why would JONO Brown come to a club who has played in 2 finals series since 1982.

This guy is a triple brownlow medalist and we have a losing culture that must change before we can lure a class act like this guy.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Tigermonk

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2008, 01:43:49 PM »

why would JONO Brown come to a club who has played in 2 finals series since 1982.

This guy is a triple brownlow medalist and we have a losing culture that must change before we can lure a class act like this guy.

cause Everyone comes to Tigerland to clean the coffers out  ;D :lol  :rollin
oh by the way Daniel, you meant triple premiership player  ;D cause he aint good enough to win a Brownlow medal & he certainly aint a fair footballer

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2008, 01:53:36 PM »

oh by the way Daniel, you meant triple premiership player  ;D cause he aint good enough to win a Brownlow medal & he certainly aint a fair footballer

yes thats what i meant of course.
a player like him would never come to our club until we start making regular finals...FACT!!

it was one of the main reasons why judd didnt want to come to Punt road, along with money of course.
Only dud players like Mcmahon come to the RFC, when they fear their career could be over if they dont come to Punt Road.

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2008, 02:03:12 PM »

yes thats what i meant of course.
a player like him would never come to our club until we start making regular finals...FACT!!

it was one of the main reasons why judd didnt want to come to Punt road, along with money of course.
Only dud players like Mcmahon come to the RFC, when they fear their career could be over if they dont come to Punt Road.

:sleep

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2008, 05:10:11 PM »

Did he tell you that or is that a guess on your behalf?  I don't remember reading anywhere that he said this - just that he had chosen 4 preferred clubs and then he narrowed it down from that.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2008, 05:28:56 PM »

Did he tell you that or is that a guess on your behalf?  I don't remember reading anywhere that he said this - just that he had chosen 4 preferred clubs and then he narrowed it down from that.

na mate its just a guess.
Its my opinion that until we start making finals regulary we will struggle to bring players like him to our club.

Outside of Browny our best is Mcmahon, luke weller and shane morrison.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2008, 05:49:24 PM »
Matthews today on Jonathan Brown

Matthews was less keen to discuss the future of Lions superstar Jonathan Brown whose contract negotiations have stalled amidst rumours he wants to return to Victoria.

Matthews conceded there was work to be done between the Lions and their skipper and said every player needed to weigh up their future opportunities.

“If Browny and the club were exactly on the same page he probably would’ve signed by now.

“They’ve got a short window of opportunity so as players they should probably take due diligence about 'what are my options, what’s the club going to be prepared to [offer] and is there another club that is prepared to offer a whole lot more?'

“Once they know, then they can make a decision,” said a considered Matthews.

“We’re confident Browny can play for the Brisbane Lions next year.”

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=65162

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2008, 11:00:28 PM »
Caro still saying we're one of 3 clubs going to make a major play for Jonathan Brown. 

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2008, 09:04:38 AM »
Struggle each week for Brown

Andrew Hamilton | August 12, 2008

LEIGH Matthews has praised Jonathan Brown's courage, revealing the weekly battle the Brisbane Lions' co-captain fights just to play. Brown's already heavily modified training regimen has been scrapped in the past month and he rarely does more than kicking practice once a week as the Lions try to ensure he can play out the season.

He endures prolonged ice bath sessions and spends hours on the physiotherapy and massage bench and in the hyperbaric chamber.

It is also understood he has three painkilling injections before he runs out on the ground.

The club is tight-lipped on the exact nature of Brown's problem, but Matthews said he was nowhere near full fitness.

"I can't remember the last time he was," Matthews said.

"He's showing enormous courage to get out there, Brownie. He has got a lot of things that he is coping with.

"Anyone who goes to training can see he just can't get out there. He is barely getting on the field week to week and it is difficult when you do that because you de-train a little bit."

Brown had a quiet day against Hawthorn in Launceston on Saturday, but his efforts this season have been exceptional.

His ability to cover the ground, accelerate and change direction has appeared to be greatly reduced.

It is no secret he has a wonky knee, but there is also a suggestion Brown aggravated a long-running back complaint in a collision with Essendon ruckman David Hille in Round 15.

He has kicked 63 goals, the fifth most in the competition, and can still pass the career-high 77 that earned him last year's Coleman Medal.

Matthews yesterday paid tribute to his performances and pondered just how good the triple premiership player could be if he was able to complete a season injury free.

"Just playing weekends and getting up in time for the following weekend makes it very tough to play anywhere near the level you are capable," Matthews said.

"It has been a bit normal for him. He will play all the games by the look of it and he played most of the games last year, but it is very rare he is able to train because his body does take a pounding."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24164925-19742,00.html

I hope we don't touch this guy, unless Matthews is just trying to scare off other teams.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2008, 03:36:48 PM »
Caro still saying we're one of 3 clubs going to make a major play for Jonathan Brown. 

Brown > Judd IMO

Give Lions our first 3 picks + McGaune

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2008, 07:05:33 PM »

Brown > Judd IMO

na dont think i agree mate. Too injury prone.

i watch judd closely and he is an amazing footballer. It kills me to say but he is the best i have ever seen in my time.

The Cotch

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2008, 07:21:51 PM »

Brown > Judd IMO

i watch judd closely and he is an amazing footballer. It kills me to say but he is the best i have ever seen in my time.
Agree, offering Brown a 5 year deal would be suicide. He'll be 32 by the time that contract expires.
I'd look at Kerr though only for the right deal.
But our main priority should be to draft Vickery with pick 6-9.

Offline moose

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2008, 07:43:01 PM »

Brown > Judd IMO

didnt you ever see gary ablett snr play?

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2008, 08:21:20 PM »

Brown > Judd IMO

didnt you ever see gary ablett snr play?

fair point. okay second only to g ablett snr