Author Topic: Wallace to coach to at least 2009: Gary March  (Read 3523 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace to coach to at least 2009: Gary March
« on: April 30, 2008, 04:26:34 AM »
Tigers give thumbs up to Wallace
Jake Niall | The Age | April 30, 2008

RICHMOND'S hierarchy will stick with Terry Wallace as senior coach at least until his contract expires in 2009, unless there is a dramatic collapse in the team's much-improved form.

Richmond president Gary March said last night that Wallace would coach the club in 2009 — the final year of his five-year contract — unless "something went completely pear-shaped", which the club is confident will not happen.

"As far as I'm concerned, he's going to be there to coach until the end of 2009," March said.

"Unless something went completely pear-shaped, in which case … I think all of us — it wouldn't just be Terry Wallace — the entire club would come under serious scrutiny because we wouldn't have performed for two seasons in a row.

"But, you know, we've never envisaged that happening. So for me, I can't see any reason why we would even be discussing Terry Wallace being the coach of the Richmond Football Club next year because as far as I'm concerned, that's what he's contracted to do and that's what he'll be."

Wallace began the year arguably under more pressure than any other AFL coach, given that the Tigers finished last with three wins in his third season and are yet to play finals during his tenure.

The improving Tigers have since won 2½ games and have been competitive in five of their six matches, despite widespread predictions that they would again finish on the bottom of the ladder.

March said making the eight in 2008 was "never" a benchmark to measure whether Wallace should retain his job next year.

"It never was. If we haven't made the eight by the end of 2009, that might be a different thing," March said.

"We'll cross that next year. It was about where our list would be at and whether we thought we redeveloped a list that had a long-term future, rather than in the eight one year, you know, what Melbourne have done over the years."

March said Wallace would be given 100% support to fulfil his contract, so long as he stuck to the club's long-term vision for team success.

"He would have my unequivocal support to see through that plan, as long we stayed true to that plan. He's never deviated with me."

March said Wallace was being judged on the development of the list and whether a team was being built with youngsters rather than playing finals. "That's what we're judging him on — has he been able to develop those players to being regular first-18 players that can hold their own against the better sides in the competition?"

March said Wallace had coached "very well" in all but one game — the defeat by North Melbourne — this year, adding that he would sit down to discuss the future with Wallace "when the time's right for both of us".

"The time's not been right," March said. "All I wanted Terry to do this year was focus on coaching the side and not worry about all the other crap and get on with what I reckon he's good at, which is tactics and strategies and looking to improve our game style."

Richmond's game style has changed to involve more run and carry from defence, but with a greater emphasis on defensive pressure on the opposition — a big shortcoming last year.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/tigers-give-thumbs-up-to-wallace/2008/04/29/1209234865163.html

Moi

Re: Wallace to coach to at least 2009: Gary March
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 04:31:48 AM »
Round 12 hey  :shh

:rollin

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 07:11:12 AM »
if we keep improving at the rate we have this yr, and the boys clearly show they re playing with passion for the jumper club and coach, why not extend his contract.

if we beat the saints and put in a real good effort v the cats, we will make the 8 and shape it also.

its been quite cleaar, the past 3 weeks that we are no lnger easy beats nor a team that gives up

rind 12 moi, maybe the round terry gets an extension

richmondrules

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 07:23:53 AM »
if we keep improving at the rate we have this yr, and the boys clearly show they re playing with passion for the jumper club and coach, why not extend his contract.

While TW is our coach I will support him to the full. Even so I don't think we need to talk about contract extensions until much much later in 2009. I agree whole heartedly with March not sacking him this year unless something unthinkable happens, but it is certainly premature to talk of extending his contract past 2009 on the back of 1 win, 1 draw and an honourable loss.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 07:44:57 AM »
I have been saying this for the last 2 years.

Some people ( Jack ) just dont want to listen  :banghead :banghead

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 08:56:54 AM »
Whilst reading the article, three words were on my mind......"Jackstar" and "humble pie"

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 10:18:09 AM »

if we beat the saints and put in a real good effort v the cats, we will make the 8 and shape it also.

its been quite cleaar, the past 3 weeks that we are no lnger easy beats nor a team that gives up

x u need to relax a little bit champ.
whilst i see vast improvement when comparing our game to last year, you must remember we also made the 8 under spud and look at the mess that got us in.

a few honourable losses and a draw we should've won, does not cut it for me.
knock the saints off and put in a good show against the cats and then yes we r definately on the up. I think after the geelong game we  can then decide if the penny has finally dropped for our players

there should be no excuses this week, we should nail the saints to the wall. We have got them where we want em and a loss would prove no improvement to me. they are beatable the saints, in fact id say they are not even a top 8 side so we MUST win.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Tigermonk

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 10:47:32 AM »
comming off the Wooden Spoon  ;D we have 2 wins & 1 draw & that dont change nothing for me, some people jump on the bandwagon after a few games. We are still making many skill errors & wrong decisions
we have proven nothing yet, why has it taken so long for Wallace to try Richo in a different spot when l been saying it for god knows how long. HELLO
dont forget the effort against Collingwood  >:( it was the worst coaching effort l seen for many years & the Bulldogs game  ??? to shut the game down 6.30 minutes from full time which clearly cost us the game  >:( thats bad coaching
leaving McMahon to be 10 metres off his man most of the game is bad coaching  :help
So some of you can kiss the coaches bum all you want  :lol but until l see some better coaching & some good wins,  l aint convinced.  the coach has not earnt his Tiger Stripes   ;D

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 12:36:51 PM »
has not earnt his Tiger Stripes   ;D

Did someone say my name?  ;)

We are on the right track but the next two weeks will give us a better picture. I don't agree that the Saints will be easy beats in fact we have been their whipping boy for years. If we can manage a win then this will signify a turning of the tide for both us and them.

I think TW will see out his contract and could gain an extention but I do think it is way to early to make that call. Lets wait and see....

Stripes

Little Jackie

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 01:09:55 PM »

Ummmmmmmmmm another quality post by an imbecile ::)
read the arctilce, March says as far as " he is concerned"" . maybe it mighten be his concern, ;) Just because we show a bit of form over the past 3 weeks, they go and "'spin doctor "' to the media.
Also March says things going pear shaped.  Last weeks game with only 34 inside 50,s  is hardly much  a huge improvement( we didnt win the game either I might remind a few here),Freo and Bulldogs yes.

Ox

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 01:12:37 PM »

LMAOOOO

Mate,ur the biggest contradiction i've ever seen.lol@ the crap and how it changes.
lol@ how u think nobody notices. :wallywink

if i get suspended for this u can all stuff off.

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 01:27:04 PM »
OX

If you didn't get suspended for your previous two posts relating to women, what makes you think you'd be suspended for this one ?

Ox

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 01:28:33 PM »
OX

If you didn't get suspended for your previous two posts relating to women, what makes you think you'd be suspended for this one ?

nice backhanded lag :thumbsup

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 01:39:15 PM »

Ummmmmmmmmm another quality post by an imbecile ::)
read the arctilce, March says as far as " he is concerned"" . maybe it mighten be his concern, ;) Just because we show a bit of form over the past 3 weeks, they go and "'spin doctor "' to the media.
Also March says things going pear shaped.  Last weeks game with only 34 inside 50,s  is hardly much  a huge improvement( we didnt win the game either I might remind a few here),Freo and Bulldogs yes.

hilarious jack

If its not his concern you muppet, whose it gunna be.....yours?  :ROTFL

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 03:51:21 PM »
i just call it as it is plain and simple

a few weeks back when we were playing crap, i said wallce would get the sack if we show no improvement and if he makes no changes

well he has!

now the improvement we have on field , esp with our scoring rate, has been outstanding. wallace has made changes to the game plan

NOW I SAY, IF WE KEEP ON IMPROVING AT THIS RATE, IM SURE WALLACE WILL COACH BEYOND HIS CONTRACT!

WHAT PART ABOUT THAT DON'T SOME OF YOU MORONS UNDERSTAND

GO DIG THAT HOLE AGAIN AND BURY YASELF IN IT FOR GOOD