Author Topic: Tigers staff face chopping block / Ignore rumours, still Miller time at Richmond  (Read 12602 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers staff face chopping block
Stephen Rielly | The Australian | July 26, 2008

RICHMOND's football department will undergo a makeover at the season's end, with long-time head of operations Greg Miller and one or more of coach Terry Wallace's assistants expected to lose their jobs.

While a review of the department, conducted by president Gary March and directors Peggy Haines and Michael O'Shannassy, continues, it is understood changes will be made once the Tigers' season ends, with Miller and, perhaps, two others to go in what will amount to the most serious overhaul the club has seen since Wallace was appointed coach four years ago.

The club has already spoken to former player Craig Lambert, who is working with Leigh Matthews' side in Brisbane, and had approached Michael Voss. In parallel, former Richmond captain Tony Free, who accepted an invitation to join the board in mid-June, has been conducting his own assessment of the department that has been interpreted by some within the club as a sure sign that change is imminent.

Free is understood to believe that a wholesale shake-out, if not a purge, is required if the club is to reach the next stage of its development, a position which is scarcely going to settle Wallace's nerves as he approaches the last year of his contract in 2009.

Only days ago, Wallace made a public plea for stability, knowing well that at Richmond patience is not always in strong supply.

March denied last night that Free is drawing up plans to level the department, describing his interest in the workings of Miller and Wallace's operation as a familiarisation exercise, not a review.

"To say Tony has been involved in that is factually incorrect," March said. "He is, categorically, not conducting a review of the footy department. He is learning about the department, though, because he's new to the board."

Miller, the former North Melbourne chief executive, joined Richmond in 2002 when Danny Frawley was coach. He was influential in recruiting Wallace to Richmond on a five-year deal in late 2004 as Frawley's replacement.

Together, they have been the most powerful football figures at Richmond since, with Wallace having also had long-time allies by his side in assistant coach Brian Royal and football manager Paul Armstrong. Jade Rawlings, David King and development coach Craig McRae flesh out the current team of assistant coaches at Punt Road.

Miller, who resigned as a director last month to allow Free to move into his seat at the board table, said yesterday he was unaware of any decisions being already made but did not discount the possibility they would come. Significantly, he said that he thought Free would have a bearing on any changes that are made.

"Tony is a new director and he's trying to learn and find out as much as he can. He hasn't been in the game for 10 or 12 years. Certainly he's around in all of our departments, gathering information, but what that ultimately leads to or what his conclusions are will be interesting," Miller said.

"I think it would have been hard to draw any conclusions yet. I know Tony is very keen and committed, but I hope that's not the case."

March said that the club always intended to add a second development coach to the staff at the end of the season and was thinking of hiring another assistant coach in any case. These would be additions to the existing number of coaches. He conceded, though, that this did not preclude departures and further signings.

"Is there any big shake-up at the moment? No there's not," March said. "Are we likely to add a development coach? Probably, yeah, and we might add elsewhere. But there's no-one in the gun at the moment."

Of Miller he added, somewhat equivocally: "Greg? Well, I think he said at the start of the year that if things didn't go well we could all be out of a job."

It is believed that a preliminary short list of potential candidates for Miller's position has already been drawn up, with relatively young, contemporary football executives the preference.

March, O'Shannassy and Haines held their first lengthy fact-finding briefings with senior members of the football department approximately four weeks ago, not long after Free took up his position as the director responsible for football.

With six rounds of the regular season still to play, the Tigers have more than doubled the number of wins they managed last year (three) and have some slim chance of playing finals for the first time in Wallace's tenure.

Against this, the club has still won only 31 of 82 matches in his near-four years and not finished higher than ninth in any season. The side is currently 10th.

It is understood that a good part of the agitation for change around Wallace stems from the view that the side is in roughly the same position it was four years ago - mid-table with Matthew Richardson still the best player and Nathan Brown coming to the rescue when he is not, as happened against Essendon last week.

Richardson, Brown, captain Kane Johnson and veteran Joel Bowden are all likely to be gone within the next three years and even if they are replaced in time by the likes of Trent Cotchin and Brett Deledio this will not necessarily allow the side to get significantly better than it is at present.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24078732-2722,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ignore rumours, still Greg Miller time at Richmond
Mike Sheahan | Herald-Sun July 26, 2008

RICHMOND'S veteran director of football Greg Miller last night described rumours of his impending removal as unfounded.

Miller, who has spent nearly six years at Punt Road, said he was unaware of a supposed shake-up of the football department.

"Rumour and innuendo, that's what I believe," he told the Herald Sun.

"I'm very pleased with how the club's going; couldn't be in better shape."

Miller confirmed that new director Tony Free, a former club captain, had launched an aggressive review of the football department. Ironically, it is only a month since Free took Miller's seat at the board table.

The rumour of mounting pressure on Miller swept football late last night after murmurings, apparently emanating out of Perth, in the past 10 days.

Oddly, the Tigers look better placed now than they have in years. They are 10th after 16 games, have won their past two, and will press for a place in the eight if they can beat the Brisbane Lions at Telstra Dome tonight.

As unlikely as any major change seems at this point, we are talking Richmond.

Richmond president Gary March could not be reached last night. He is understood to be in Brisbane.

Coach Terry Wallace said he knew nothing on the rumour. "I've been told zero and I know zero," he said.

Miller, 55, joined Richmond in October 2002 under the leadership of then president Clinton Casey.

He spent the previous 12 months out of the AFL scene after 17 years at North Melbourne, where he held a variety of roles including that of chief executive.

He is a former Richmond under-19 player who crossed to South Melbourne and played 52 games in the 1970s before starting his career in administration as the Swans' recruiting officer.

"I think common sense will prevail," he said last night.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24079091-19742,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Why now bring up these off-field shananagins on the back of 4 wins out of 5 and with a season-defining game tonight?!  ::)

And why bring someone onto the board who needs to "learn" about the footy dept after 10-12 years out of the game  :-\ ???. 

It is understood that a good part of the agitation for change around Wallace stems from the view that the side is in roughly the same position it was four years ago - mid-table with Matthew Richardson still the best player and Nathan Brown coming to the rescue when he is not, as happened against Essendon last week.
Richo didn't play last week or the week before and we won both games and we had 10 Tigers 21 y.o. or under playing against Essendon. Oh but nothing has changed - morons! ::)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Tigermonk

The Australian  :whistle

jackstar

Its about 3 years too late. as I have said for the past 3 years, the footy dept is just a boys club, Terrys mates and thats it.
Amazing how Steve Alessio got the flick as ruck coach for Damian Monkhurst, a friend of Wallet.
About time someone fixed the issues. :thumbsup

It does look like TW might survive.

Although a loss tonight might change everything.

Crucial game for Terry and for the RFC.

Moi

I don't have a problem if they get rid of Miller
But I wouldn't have a problem if they kept him either.
Watching Roughead and Franklin run around last night was sad.  I'm not making a slight against Lids and Tambo, but two big men were what was needed at the time I would have thought after we had drafted so many smalls. 
But I'm not totally unhappy with them either.
I guess it's just a matter of opinion and Greg better hope opinion is on his side otherwise he might be on his way.
Whoever they get Free better be right.
He started his regime with a big black mark on him as far as I'm concerned  ;) leaving little faith in whether he's the right person for his own job, let alone Miller's  ::)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Its about 3 years too late. as I have said for the past 3 years, the footy dept is just a boys club, Terrys mates and thats it.

Were King, Rawlings or McCrae Terry's mates when they were brought to the club? That's 3 of the 4 main assistant coaches.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline shannon

• Jack Dyer medallist
slow news week
DELEDIO FOR CAPTAIN ASAP!

Moi

Amazing how Steve Alessio got the flick as ruck coach for Damian Monkhurst, a friend of Wallet.
Then you surely would be questioning Free talking to Lambert then if you're so concerned about boys clubs  ::)
I take it you would not approve of that then  :rollin

Re: TW to "retire"
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 10:49:29 AM »

Just heard a rumour (at the local post office so it is dodgy mail to say the least)

TW to announce he is stepping down at the end of the season for health reasons.

Has anybody else heard this?

???

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Nah, if it's important mail via Australia Post it won't arrive for at least another week.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Just read the same thing on the other site (name not to be mentioned, Hi Rosy).

Which probably means it's crap.

:cheers

blx

if one good thing comes out of this "rumour mill" hyperbole thats encased tigerland ove rthe last week or two, its brought all the boards alive.

its also shown who the real drama queens are on too.

jackstar

Then you surely would be questioning Free talking to Lambert then if you're so concerned about boys clubs  ::)
I take it you would not approve of that then  :rollin

Have no problem with Craig :thumbsup