Author Topic: Brett Deledio [merged]  (Read 187437 times)

Offline wrennyboy

• Future Richmond star
  • Captain Coughlan
Brett Deledio [merged]
« on: August 29, 2004, 09:32:48 PM »
Guys now that we have finished wooden spoon we have got to get this Brett Deledio. He will be a very good player. Standing at 188cm and 80kg he can play many positions and is very versatile. Has a great kick both sides and penetration aswell. Courage, good set of hands and a matured body is what makes up Brett Deledio. Here are a few stats from his year at the murray bushrangers. He will develop into a good player and the way he plays is like a mix between cameron bruce and andrew walker at this stage. He obviously missed a few games cause of the national championships, flu and an injury. He is also a gun cricketer.

Rd 16 #18  Deledio Pos: FF EK21 IK0 EH3 IH1 M9 ET4 FF1 FA2 G2 B2
Rd 15 #18  Deledio Pos: FF EK18 IK1 EH5 IH0 M10 ET6 FF1 FA3 G5 B2
Rd 14 #18  Deledio Pos: C EK9 IK2 EH7 IH1 M3  ET1  FF1 FA0 G1 B0
Rd 10 #18  Deledio Pos: C EK20 IK0 EH16 IH1 M6 ET7 FF3 FA1 G0 B0
Rd 9  #18  Deledio  Pos: C EK16 IK2 EH4 IH0 M8 ET2 FF0 FA2 G2 B0
Rd 8  #18  Deledio  Pos: C EK12 IK0 EH6 IH0 M7 ET2 FF2 FA0 G2 B3
Rd 7  #18  Deledio  Pos: C EK11 IK1 EH4 IH1 M5 ET4 FF0 FA1 G1 B1
Rd 6  #18  Deledio  Pos: RR EK9 IK0 EH7 IH0 M4 ET5 FF1 FA0 G1 B0
Rd 5  #18  Deledio  Pos: RR  EK22 IK0 EH11 IH0 M12 ET1 FF2 FA1 G0 B0
Rd 4  #18  Deledio  Pos: RR  EK17 IK0 EH17 IH1 M11 ET8 FF2 FA1 G1 B0

Legend: EK-Effective kicks, IK-Ineffective kicks, EH-Effective Handballs,
IH-Handball Ineffective, M-Marks, ET-Effective Tackles,
FF-Frees For, FA-Frees Against, G-Goals, B-Behinds

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This is his ais profile

Name:

Brett Deledio

Height/Weight:

188cm/80kg

Sport:

Australian Rules Football

Position:

Ruck/Rover

Date of birth / birthplace:

18 April 1987 - Kyabram

What year did you begin your AIS scholarship?

What is your most significant achievement in sport?

Winning the Kevin Sheehan medal at National U/16 Championships

What is your major sporting goal?

To be a successful player in the AFL

Who are your idols, and why (not necessarily sporting)?

James Hird, Michael Voss, Chris Judd - for the way they play the game

Who has most influenced your sporting career, and why?

My dad - he loved sport and I guess it has just carried on down to me

Do you work or study while training - if so what?

Study - year 11

How do you hope to be remembered when you retire from your sport?

As a courageous, hard running, high flying on baller/forward. Someone who did something about their dreams

What are your career goals after sport?

Own a successful business that ends up going nationwide

What do you regard as the most memorable sporting moment?

Gary Moorcroft's hanger against the Doggies

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres a few more players i want to get

Brett Deledio 18 April 1987 188 cm 80 kg (Murray U18) - one of the class acts of the carnival and a likely top three draft pick. An all round athlete who has all the skills and smarts to go places.

Ryan Griffen 27 July 1986 186 cm 78 kg (South Adelaide SA) – a probable top 3 selection. Can play half back but will probably develop into a midfielder. He is double sided, has great disposal, strength and leadership potential.

Jordan Lewis 24 April 1986 187 cm 85 kg (Geelong U18) - a left footer who had a good championship. Knows where the goals are and has plenty of skill.

Richard Tambling 12 September 1986 180 cm 68 kg (Southern Districts NT) - good around the goals and plenty of pace. A little reminiscent of Aaron Davey. Should go early in the draft.

Cameron Wood 4 March 1987 203 cm 86 kg (West Adelaide SA) - a promising tall who has potential. His ruck work is outstanding; he can take a mark and he looks to have the makings of a handy ruckman in the future - but not before a good few years of skills and physical development.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 05:46:49 PM by one-eyed »
wrenny

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Brett Deledio [merged]
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 11:23:40 PM »
I think we can safely say welcome to Tigerland Brett Deledio  :thumbsup.

I have hardly seen any underage footy this year except for a few snippets here and there of Deledio, Griffen, Tambling, etc. So my opinion is based on what I've been told by other people and what I've read.

The following criteria is what I would judge potential draftees by:

* good individual skill fundamentals:
- can get the pill and has one touch
- disposes cleanly by hand and especially foot (with penetration) both sides of the body
- clean one-grab mark especially away from the body

* Footy smarts:
- good peripheral vision and awareness
- good reader of the play (knows where and when to run to on the field).
- does the 1%ers well - tackling (watches the hips of his opponent), punches defensively when caught behind, sheperding, etc.

* a good attitude and work ethic:
- can work in a team environment
- trains well
- willing to listen and learn from experienced peers and coaches
- on-field willing to work as hard when he doesn't have the ball as when he's got it (i.e. do the team things even if not rewarded with possession)

----

I normally say we should go for the best kid available when it's our turn to pick although the pitiful state of list especially in regards to lack of quality talls means that might be compromised. Given we have picks 1, 4, 20, 36, 52, 68, etc.... I'd reckon the order might be:

1) Midfielder - Deledio (although I'm told as wrenny has already mentioned he is very versatile position wise - a la Hird-like in that manner). I liked Griffen too wrenny. Do you know wrenny how his knee is going since he had an op to repair damaged cartilage?

4) KPP - Roughead or Willits.

20) Ruckman - WP mentioned Cameron Wood although some are tipping him to go to the Crows. Will need 2-3 years to bulk up as wrenny says. Alternatively Meeson.

36, 52) Best available kids - no rejects.

Hopefully a trade can score us another high pick even if it's a second rounder.

I'm not sure of the sound of Lewis being a left-footer but that's mainly based on the left-footers we have already like Tivs who get caught out on their wrong side all the time and have to crab sideways killing any attacking momentum. I'm also unsure of how Tambling would go at Tigerland given our record of player development and bulking up skinny kids or lack of  :-\.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 11:26:25 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 10:11:26 AM »
Jordan Lewis had a fantastic carnival and is as tough as nails.He already is a decent size,and in the game I watched cleaned up a ruckman twice his size with a perfect shirtfront.
He also has great goal sense.
I'll be delighted if we can get him,it will make a nice change from the assembly line of wimps Beck has provided us with...Fiona,Pettifer ect.
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline wrennyboy

• Future Richmond star
  • Captain Coughlan
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 04:04:30 PM »
1) Midfielder - Deledio (although I'm told as wrenny has already mentioned he is very versatile position wise - a la Hird-like in that manner). I liked Griffen too wrenny. Do you know wrenny how his knee is going since he had an op to repair damaged cartilage?

Ymmm im not to sure abotu griffen i will hav eto check into that. Me thinks it will lower his draft status but if we could get him at pick 4 along with deledio at pick 1 that is the best thing ever guys. He didnt do his knee fully he probably just did what me and stafford did just a 4-6 injury. Hopefully the dogs and hawks go for kp talent. Hawks mite go for tambling at 2 and bulldogs a kp in franklin or willits at 3. That would be so good. I would really love to trade fiora for a first pick so we cna pick up jordan lewis. I agree with both of you he is going to be a glen archer type player even tho he plays tac cup midfield now he is tough as nails. And he cleaned up 203cm deluca in that game.
wrenny

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 04:27:20 AM »
6ft 2 and can bench press 110kg at 17 years of age (18 now as his birthday was yesterday)  :o.

Deledio's coming along nicely so far. Contributing and earning his spot in the seniors while learning his craft at the elite level. That intercept on the HFF city end where he just leaped up vertically, grabbed the footy then played on and passed 50m to Brown (who then handballed to Richo in the goalsquare for a goal) was brilliant stuff  :thumbsup

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 10:38:30 AM »
6ft 2 and can bench press 110kg at 17 years of age (18 now as his birthday was yesterday)  :o.

Deledio's coming along nicely so far. Contributing and earning his spot in the seniors while learning his craft at the elite level. That intercept on the HFF city end where he just leaped up vertically, grabbed the footy then played on and passed 50m to Brown (who then handballed to Richo in the goalsquare for a goal) was brilliant stuff  :thumbsup

Geez, that's pretty impressive for an 18 yo - 110KG's  :o

How good are his hands?  A couple of lobbed floating hospital kicks came his way with his opponent up his backside applying massive amounts of pressure, and he just put his mits up and plucked it - one grabber.  Quick, Strong, great hands, great skills, footy brain, composure - 18 years old - about time we got one.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

letsgetiton!

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 10:51:39 AM »
he may well yet grow 2 more inches, he has a huge hand span and has held his own thus far. i have been really impressed by his efforts and his coolness, he does not panic and beleives in himself, he is getting more confident week by week and will be a gr8 player 4 us

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 11:13:01 AM »
if he grows 2 inches look out riewolt

letsgetiton!

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 08:13:28 AM »
i just want to air a bit of frustration here.  now we all now lids played another fantastic game on the weekend, and i believe when he was rested in the 3rd quarter it cost us dearly but here is my beef and frustraition and its all about the media.

now a few weeks ago , all from here and sundry were pumping up griffins performance v the cats. the media critics footy followers were going on and on at how fantasic he played. now was all blatant propaganda because on that day , ablett , his opponent kicked 3 goals and had 27 touches , 6 more than griffin if my memory serves me correct. ok we know the kid will be a good player and has talent but

deledios game on sat night was fan effing tastic, his pace and skill and decision making shows he is probably already our most valuable assett. he ran off walker, who won the 100m sprint (and is meant to be the fastes afl player) with ease, he showed judd qualities at an age that judd didnt. this kid played a better game than what griffin played and no mention about it on the couch or othe rprograms, no articles on his performance ect.

i really hope this week griffin and lids play on each other and lids teaches hoim a footy lesson and seal the rising star award

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 01:43:31 PM »
I can live with it, the less pressure put on him by the media the better off for him!

Which brings me to say, Roughead got like 20 possies and 7 marks in the BACKLINE for Hawthorn last week!  :'(

And his still only like 18 1/2 aswell!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 04:14:25 PM »
Agree with Razor. Lids is better off without the attention. Probably also a sign he's as good as everyone expected so not a bad thing.

Which brings me to say, Roughead got like 20 possies and 7 marks in the BACKLINE for Hawthorn last week!  :'(

And his still only like 18 1/2 aswell!

Most of those were Jason Cloke like - loose uncontested marks and disposals. Roughead may in the end turn out to be a very good player but let's see how he goes manning up on an opponent first and contesting one-on-one.  The Hawks didn't move him back onto Bradshaw even though Bradshaw was doing a job on Hay,

Remember the Hawks took Roughead at #2 so we could have only got him using our first pick. Ah no thanks! Take Lids anyday. Our choice was between Tambling and Franklin and although highly talented as well Franklin isn't a KPP.

Our list was totally stuffed at the end of last year. There wasn't an area that didn't need major surgery to fix. Wallace decided to focus first on getting the midfield right with Lids, Tambo and Meyer. Our record of getting smashed in uncontested possessions out in space IMO justifies that decision.   

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 04:21:40 PM »

Remember the Hawks took Roughead at #2 so we could have only got him using our first pick. Ah no thanks! Take Lids anyday. Our choice was between Tambling and Franklin and although highly talented as well Franklin isn't a KPP.

I reckon Franklin will turn out a Goodes-like roaming tall. With added maturity and discipline could be very good IMO.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 04:36:51 PM »
I can live with it, the less pressure put on him by the media the better off for him!

Agree Blade & MT - if the media are all caught up with others that's great. Let the kid be and sit back and enjoy.

I had to laugh watching the replay and they were talking about the Rising Star and Matthew Campbell & Peter Wilson said something about Lids being a "shoe in"  with competition coming from Griffen and then that twit Tim Gosage that should be Gooseage said "i don't think so what about Mundy from the Dockers". Poor Tim makes Eddie's commentary seem balanced :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 04:44:06 PM »
I reckon Franklin will turn out a Goodes-like roaming tall. With added maturity and discipline could be very good IMO.

I agree Jake and wasn't knocking him for it. Just saying he isn't a true KPP in the Jonathan Brown, Richo, Riewoldt sense. IMO the Tiges, Hawks and Dogs should all be pleased with their 2004 draft choices so far. We'll see in 5 years if anyone did better than the others.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2005, 07:14:55 PM »
deledios game on sat night was fan effing tastic, his pace and skill and decision making shows he is probably already our most valuable assett. he ran off walker, who won the 100m sprint (and is meant to be the fastes afl player) with ease, he showed judd qualities at an age that judd didnt.

If Lids gets anywhere near Judd's form in a couple of years I'll be a very excited Tiger supporter. Just amazing to watch this guy in full flight in the finals.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 07:18:30 PM by mightytiges »