Author Topic: Brett Deledio [merged]  (Read 187221 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
A win's a win for Deledio (RFC site)
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 01:26:03 PM »
A win's a win for Deledio
12:58:18 PM Wed 24 May, 2006
Mark Rasmussen
Exclusive to richmondfc.com.au

After the Tigers pulled off the unthinkable and beat ladder-leaders Adelaide in a game described by Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy as "basketball crap", others haven't been as critical, with some suggesting it was a coaching masterstroke.

Exciting young Richmond playmaker Brett Deledio says that while Sheedy can say what he likes, the Tigers got the four points and in a premiership season, that's all that matters.

"I guess Sheeds has been saying it hasn't been the right way play to footy, but in the end we got the four points, so I guess that's where it's at, Deledio told Sportal.

"It's not the way we play footy week in week out, it's just the way we set out to play, though we didn't really set out to play that way. It's just that Adelaide flooded back so much that we couldn't move forward in a hurry.

"We had to hold on to the footy and wait for a bit of space to open.

"Terry didn't even set out for us to play that way. We discussed a few different game styles that we need to get into our game. The way it actually turned out wasn't in Terry's plans at all."

Everyone in the crowd from commentators calling the game to the humble spectator could see all Adelaide had to do was man-up. They didn't and consequently lost.

According to Deledio, Joel Bowden had a field day down back, collecting 34 possessions and 20 marks.

"Joel Bowden was pretty happy they didn't man up. I was a little bit surprised they didn't. It was only in the last quarter that they decided to man-up. I guess they weren't used to it as much as any side wouldn't be used to it."

In the end despite all the criticism from Sheedy, Richmond has had the last laugh, having won four of its past five games. Essendon on the other hand has lost seven straight.

"We've won four of our last five. If we can keep that up hopefully we can sneak into the top eight at some stage," an excited Deledio said.

Although teams don't like to get ahead of themselves, especially with two-thirds of the season to play, Deledio is hoping the Tigers can eventually make the eight and play off in the finals.

"Everyone at the club wants to get a chance to play finals footy. We probably should have got there last year but a few inconveniences for us meant we missed out.

"It's definitely in our goals to play in finals and make the big stage."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=268251

PuntRdRoar

Re: Brett Deledio [merged]
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2006, 05:08:28 PM »
Just on Brett Deledio whose performance has been brought up for discussion- i dont think hes lazy but he needs to understand that a good game does not constitute getting the ball on the wing 1 time per game and running 60 metres and going long to a contest...and then thinking...poo that was a good play.

The problem is that he seems to only produce this play once per game, when he is capable of doing it atleast a couple of times a quarter. Theres no point Brett pee farting around the back of packs, he needs to develop as a playmaker...he needs to sit 20 metres forward of the play (some of you might call it cheating) out on a flank away from the packs..the clear instruction should be ... get it out to Deledio or even a Richard Tambling or a Danny Meyer. I understand you need to have your turn in the action...but for mine...speed is best used in space...we dont seem to understand that.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2006, 09:27:10 AM »
he in other words has been lazy

when i stated he has been lazy in other threads, i say it because he has become lazy in his hunger and aggression and lazy in his mindset.

many times he gets a possession on teh back flank or wing, has an opponent infront of him, he has 5 options at this point

1/ kick the ball long
2/ handpass the ball to a running player or stationary player
3/ short pass the ball
4/ take the opponent on with his blistering pace
5/ use option 2 or 3 and then run fwd and gather the 1-2 and keep running as judd does all the time.

deledio 99% of teh times uses options 1,2 and 3

when he has the ability to use 4 and 5 but does not use it enough

thats why i say he is lazy in the mind, he has teh talent, the ability and the skill, but not the mind to tell him when and where to use it!!!

wasted talent is a sin, and he wastes his many times

this is why with time bling will be a btter player than lids, because bling never stops moving and always looks to take opponents on

lids should learn from hyde and petts too. they are taking risks and taking opponents on all the time and dont have deledios pace.

thats why i say lids has become lazy in his mindset, he took more risks last yr

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 09:34:54 AM »
good post X and spot on in terms of the options hes taking at the moment. The kid needs to use his run more, hes way to stagnant at the moment.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 09:47:20 AM »
good post X and spot on in terms of the options hes taking at the moment. The kid needs to use his run more, hes way to stagnant at the moment.

just wanted to clarify what i meant by lazy, im not saying he is lazy and not trying, just think his mind has become a bit lazy or maybe not adventurous in his decision making

he should be told not to be afraid to take em all on judd style, he can do it. look at petts, as soon as king said to him, take a screamer like ur junior days , u can do it, go 4 it!

lids just has to back his ability more and just "nike" it

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2006, 09:45:58 PM »
Reasonable point. But it's only his second week back from a knee injury don't forget.
I'm not to worried about Lids.
It's the senior players who need the finger pointed at them.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 09:57:16 PM »
He's only a kid, have a look at how long it took Pettifer to blossom.

I know that Deledio has shown a lot more than Pettifer did when he started, but give him a break, though it's hard not to think that he could do more.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

letsgetiton!

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2006, 07:27:40 AM »
no one is expecting miracles, but last yr he did  it, this yr he should do it more, the only reason petts didnt come on sooner was spud, and i know that 4 a fact! i speak to petts uncle often and spud had it in 4 him!
deledio is just playing too safe and reserved, nothing to do with his knee, he has been doing it all yr, i hope after the break he reads these posts or the cosaches pass on the same advice, no fear go for it, if u get caught who cares , just take the game by the horns and show what u can do!

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2006, 10:04:29 AM »
Spud, that word makes my skin crawl!
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2006, 11:35:49 AM »
deledio is just playing too safe and reserved, nothing to do with his knee, he has been doing it all yr, i hope after the break he reads these posts or the cosaches pass on the same advice, no fear go for it, if u get caught who cares , just take the game by the horns and show what u can do!

Good advice X. Also encourage Lids when he takes them on to strive to get to 50 and have a running shot at goal rather than just short chips to teammates. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2006, 01:12:50 PM »
Good advice X. Also encourage Lids when he takes them on to strive to get to 50 and have a running shot at goal rather than just short chips to teammates. 

Hell-lay-loo-ya  :clapping :clapping :yep :yep

That was one of the many frustrating moments against the Dawks - not once but twice Lids had the ball, bounced along the wing got to 50 and then centred a kick - have a shot son  :thumbsup One of them he could've run into within 25-30 metres and had a shot - nup kicked it to the top of the square :'(
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

letsgetiton!

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2006, 01:17:32 PM »
well lets hope lids reads this forum and in teh 2nd half of the season follows our advice!

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2006, 01:54:45 PM »
to many budding coaches in here i reckon ;D nevertheless whats been said is true and someone needs to tell him his gotta run and impact more.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2006, 01:55:54 PM »
to many budding coaches in here i reckon ;D nevertheless whats been said is true and someone needs to tell him his gotta run and impact more.

whats his mobile number, i will tell him!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2006, 04:19:03 PM »
Just ring: three-six-two-four-three-six  ;D

We'll nickname him Forrest Gump................ Run Forrest Run  ;).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd