Author Topic: Brett Deledio [merged]  (Read 221113 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Lids
« Reply #1710 on: January 26, 2015, 09:17:44 PM »
I have watched replays and waited a long time to question one of our worriers but Lids needs to do more for a player of his talent.
I have watched replayes of years gone by and of his latest years and I'm sorry to say he was better 5 years ago.
As a kid he took the game on but but as an adult he has become nervous.
If he continued the way he is going he will be known as a very good AFL footballer winning two B&F's but his best will be lost. He has ball skills to be an out and out star of the league but he is not capable of taking the Tigers further than his position has alowded him to.  He is a good follower but is pretending to be a leader of our club.
I know people that know Brett and he is no leader at any level includinding our side as vise captain.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Lids
« Reply #1711 on: January 26, 2015, 09:30:34 PM »
I know this isn't going to be popular but I have to ask one question, why is Cotch captain and not Lids after years of him being at the club? 
Lids is a follower, end of story.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1712 on: January 26, 2015, 09:34:09 PM »
Don't get me wrong,I love watching Lids winning the footy when we are winning.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1713 on: January 26, 2015, 09:39:54 PM »
I know this isn't going to be popular but I have to ask one question, why is Cotch captain and not Lids after years of him being at the club? 

Has nothing to do with Lids being a "follower" which BTW I don't necessarily agree with

When it comes to the captaincy....

Cotch was always going to be captain, always, end of that story.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1714 on: January 26, 2015, 09:51:42 PM »

Has nothing to do with Lids being a "follower" which BTW I don't necessarily agree
WP, I know people that have grown up with Lids and he is so far off being a leader I can attest to it myself. And I'm talking best friends. If you think Lids was any chance of leading this club do you think he would have been awarded it by his teammates.
Cotch has been chosen as captain ilo Lids because Lids is a child.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1715 on: January 26, 2015, 09:56:37 PM »

Has nothing to do with Lids being a "follower" which BTW I don't necessarily agree
WP, I know people that have grown up with Lids and he is so far off being a leader I can attest to it myself. And I'm talking best friends. If you think Lids was any chance of leading this club do you think he would have been awarded it by his teammates.

Not disputing what you know big tone but when it came to the captaincy no-one, not Lids or anyone else had a chance it was always going to be Cotchin. So it wouldn't have mattered what sort of leader lids or anyone else happens to be as I said no one else other than Cotchin was ever gong to be captain of the RFC

I have always thought that one of Lids best games was when he captained the side back in 2004 in Perth, hurt his knee that night but kept gong and was sensational
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #1716 on: January 26, 2015, 10:05:52 PM »
Lids is a gun, Spose we all thought he would be our superstar. Hard to do when we've made and lost 2 finals

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1717 on: January 26, 2015, 10:06:22 PM »

Not disputing what you know big tone but when it came to the captaincy no-one, not Lids or anyone else had a chance it was always going to be Cotchin. So it wouldn't have mattered what sort of leader lids or anyone else happens to be as I said no one else other than Cotchin was ever gong to be captain of the RFC

I have always thought that one of Lids best games was when he captained the side back in 2004 in Perth, hurt his knee that night but kept gong and was sensational
Do you think this club is run by  d1c7heads?  Don't answer that!!  Lids is not captain because he wears poo couloured boots it's because the guys is a child! Not trying to be rude but I have met him. And I'm being nice.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1718 on: January 26, 2015, 10:16:56 PM »
Lids ain't the dh
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1719 on: January 26, 2015, 10:26:00 PM »
WP, you have shown to me that you are nothing but a supporter,
If you think Cotch was given this job as captain over Lids purely because he got the captaincy because Cotch came along, he got it because Lids had know idea.
Even know to talk to Lids, it's laughable.. I have young guys in my business that are better qualified than Lids to lead people.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1720 on: January 26, 2015, 10:26:59 PM »
I think Lids has matured over the years.  He was far from a leader when he came to the club.  He is one of those guys who has grown into a leadership role rather than being a born natural leader.

Now players look up to him to break play open on the field and he leads from example with his actions. He is not a leader that leads with his mouth.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #1721 on: January 26, 2015, 10:55:31 PM »
I have a different perspective on this issue BT.

Brett early on in his career at Richmond "never wanted" to become captain, not because he wasn't any good or would be terrible at the job, but on a personal level did not want to do it.

Newman was not going to last forever in the job, we did not have an adequate replacement for Newman, Brett was the obvious choice but as i said he wasn't the slightest bit interested in it.

When Cotchin came along it was recognized that he had the potential to be the man, to fill the position, to be an adequate replacement for Newman, so Cotchin was primed for it. So that is why he beat Lids into the position, Lids did not want the position and of course Cotch ended up with it.

Of course Deledio has matured a lot since those days and I believe regrets to some extent not taking the position or at least making it known to the officials that mattered most in such decisions that he was willing to assume the role.

I have no doubt that he would except the role today if circumstances warranted it, but he is happy for Cotch to be the captain and would never rock the boat.

From my point of view i think you are being a bit harsh on him BT.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

tony_montana

« Reply #1722 on: January 26, 2015, 11:19:34 PM »
I have watched replays and waited a long time to question one of our worriers but Lids needs to do more for a player of his talent.
I have watched replayes of years gone by and of his latest years and I'm sorry to say he was better 5 years ago.
As a kid he took the game on but but as an adult he has become nervous.
If he continued the way he is going he will be known as a very good AFL footballer winning two B&F's but his best will be lost. He has ball skills to be an out and out star of the league but he is not capable of taking the Tigers further than his position has alowded him to.  He is a good follower but is pretending to be a leader of our club.
I know people that know Brett and he is no leader at any level includinding our side as vise captain.

spot on - Lids is a very good player but hes under achieved, with his skillset he should be a top 5 player in the AFL, instead he has cruised most of his career and unfortunately seems content just being a very good player instead of the best player. Also right regarding leadership, never really seen it, seems like hes happy just being one of the boys

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1723 on: January 27, 2015, 12:01:15 AM »
Fmd could've been summised in one word

Tigeritis  :thumbsup
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1724 on: January 27, 2015, 12:25:07 AM »