Author Topic: Brett Deledio [merged]  (Read 194293 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Brett Deledio [merged]
« Reply #1005 on: May 20, 2012, 07:00:45 AM »
Deledio now elite: Hardwick
By Nick Bowen
11:52 PM Sat 19 May, 2012

BRETT Deledio has elevated himself to elite status with his vastly improved contested play, Richmond coach Damien Hardwick says.

Deledio won the Yiooken Award as the best player on the ground in the Tigers' 19-point loss to Essendon in Saturday night's Dream Time at the 'G clash.

After the match Hardwick said the hardness Deledio displayed in laying an equal game-high 10 tackles against the Bombers and winning five clearances had not always been a strength of his game.

"His contested ball work has come on in leaps and bounds," Hardwick said.

"That was probably the one area of his game that I thought needed work but he's just been enormous in that area this year. He's become an elite player of the competition."

Deledio sat alongside his coach as he made his comments at an after-match press conference - Hardwick joked that the Tiger midfielder had kicked him under the table for suggesting he hadn't previously been an elite player.

But when asked if he had ever had 10 tackles before in a game, Deledio said: "Probably not … there's a first for everything I suppose."

Another area of Deledio's game Hardwick said had improved was his ability to be "really damaging" when resting up forward, Hardwick said.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/136276/default.aspx

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #1006 on: May 20, 2012, 07:51:54 AM »
He was brilliant last night.

I feel sorry for him and cotchin every game they play. We have still too many hacks that shouldn't be in the team.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1007 on: May 20, 2012, 10:16:37 AM »
At times he looked a class above any essendon fstick out there.

Looking at the stats in todays paper. Zero errors..
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 07:40:56 PM by Bentleigh-esque »

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1008 on: May 20, 2012, 03:22:57 PM »

I feel sorry for him and cotchin every game they play. We have still too many hacks that shouldn't be in the team.
I think many of can relate to that, when we read your contributions to this forum
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1009 on: May 20, 2012, 05:10:18 PM »
BRILLIANT....best player we have by a country mile.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #1010 on: May 20, 2012, 07:38:02 PM »

I think many of can relate to that, when we read your contributions to this forum

:lol

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1011 on: May 20, 2012, 07:42:04 PM »
Awesome player. Has proven he is a complete player.

Gigantor

« Reply #1012 on: May 20, 2012, 07:43:04 PM »
Lids has certainly stepped up another cog this year..Anyone here seriously rate him for the brownlow?

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1013 on: May 20, 2012, 09:34:19 PM »
 Has become Judd like, looks to be shaking off tags as well  :pray
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1014 on: May 21, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
VIDEO: Highlights of Deledio from Saturday night; 35 touches, 10 tackles, 7 In50s, 5 clearances, 13 score involvements and a goal

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/roar%20vision%20archive/tabid/11454/contentid/451768/default.aspx

Deledio was a worthy recipient of the Yiooken Award for best-on-ground in last Saturday night’s Dreamtime game.

Full article at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/136417/default.aspx

gerkin greg

« Reply #1015 on: May 21, 2012, 05:45:51 PM »
Jet

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1016 on: May 21, 2012, 05:58:56 PM »
Absolute jet!  :bow :bow :bow :bow :clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #1017 on: May 21, 2012, 06:43:32 PM »

How true

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1018 on: May 21, 2012, 07:02:26 PM »

How true
I feel sorry for Lids too! Being a part of a club that he obviously feels is headed in the right direction. That being the reason for signing a new contract recently instead of taking bigger bucks somewhere else. Not that he would be on peanuts with us.
I feel sorry for him having to play along side of Foley, Martin and Cotch. Watching the development of Rance, Grimes and seeing the arrival of players such as Houli and Grigg must be truly heartbreaking.

Training on a ground when you can see the new ME Bank centre being built must have made his guts churn.

There are plenty of players that have graced the Punt Road Oval before Lids did that have plenty more reasons to feel sorry for themselves. Back then nearly the whole team were hacks.

Having said that, Lids has stamped himself as a true A-Grader :thumbsup

TigerTimeII

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/richmond-star-brett-deledio-says-tough-love-gave-him-a-reality-check/story-e6frf9jf-1226389570731

Richmond star Brett Deledio says tough love gave him a reality check
Brett Deledio From: Herald Sun June 09, 2012 12:00AM
Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print
Email

RICHMOND STAR BRETT DELEDIO SAYS COACH DAMIEN HARDWICK IS A COACH, MATE AND TEACHER TO HIM AND HIS TEAMMATES. PICTURE: COLLEEN PETCH HERALD SUN

DAMIEN Hardwick didn't take long to make an impression on me.

It was late in 2009 and he had just been appointed as Richmond's senior coach.

Back then my hair was long and scruffy and I had a beanie on when we crossed paths.

Dimma hit me up straight away: "What are you doing with your hair, man?" was the opening line.

Then it came to my contract. I was out of contract and so he was straight to the point.

"Now what are we going to do with your contract, Brett."

My reply was, "I have no intention of leaving, I want to stay, I want to play under you, and I want to see what it's like".

And then he said something that has stuck with me.

"Give me a hug," he said. "I am going to give you a hug right now."

And that's Damien Hardwick, my senior coach.

He is an extremely emotional man, and one that can well up at the drop of a hat. But he can also call a spade a spade.

He is our coach, our mate, and our teacher, and someone who almost always gets that delicate balance right.

No doubt, he is just one of the reasons Richmond is where it is right now.

Where is that?

Well, it's 5-5 ahead of a huge game against Fremantle at the MCG today.

We aren't anywhere near where we would like to be, but after a period of massive change at Richmond we believe we have made significant ground on many levels.

It has been three coaches, a cultural change, some massive tough love doled out in my direction, and finally some reward for effort.

But to chart that period - 160 games for me - it's probably worth starting at the beginning.

ARRIVING at Richmond as a No.1 draft pick I just lapped up everything at the club.

Senior games came early and I just loved being around the stars - Matthew Richardson, Kane Johnson, Wayne Campbell and Nathan Brown.

Arriving as a kid with attitude meant at times I played games on my own terms.

People ask me why that has changed, and they think it must have been all about Dimma.

To be honest, all of my coaches have played a part, including Terry Wallace, who was great for me.

But one particular incident stands out.

When Jade Rawlings came in as a caretaker coach at the end of 2009 it was a rude shock.

I have never been dropped, but in his first weeks it was so close, and it would have been well deserved. We were playing St Kilda one day - Round 12, 2009 - and I was standing next to Jason Gram.

He went one way and I went the other, and the ball was going their way.

I was just lazy. I wasn't interested. We were being smashed (we lost by 56 points) and I wasn't interested in doing the hard work.

The club got me in front of the leadership group and said: "We are not sure you can sacrifice for the team."

It was so embarrassing to be in front of the whole team that week. The leadership group had told me they didn't think I could do the right thing out on the field.

It rocked me.

The Thursday before we played Adelaide, Jade rang me up and said, "We are going to go with you".

My reply was simple: "I am rapt, I will buy in", and my role changed into tagging for the last half of 2009.

It turned into my first best-and-fairest trophy later that year.

Great outcomes can come from pretty severe reality checks.

Then Dimma came in, and hopefully my game has gone to a new level with him.

But you build the foundations, and certainly that happened with Terry and Jade.

Frank feedback has always been welcome. My old man once suggested I consider playing netball if I didn't like it tough, and Dimma is the same.

It has been three coaches, a cultural change, some massive tough love doled out in my direction, and finally some reward for effort.
Now wanting to play well is a must, but I always hang my hat on tackles.

You know you have played a real game when you are getting plenty of them. Even against St Kilda I was hopefully damaging offensively, but I had only one tackle and I felt funny about it.

It is the defensive stuff that wins flags and makes you play well.

HOW has the culture changed at Richmond?

Chris Newman has played a huge part in that.

His first year was one of the toughest initiations you could ever have. But he genuinely cares for people, and is one of the nicest people you could meet.

Ben Cousins played his part too, and that might sound funny to mention him and leadership in the same breath.

But although we know Ben has had his troubles, I have never seen someone so focused on team performance.

The first time he spoke up in a midfield meeting, when he arrived for the 2009 season, everyone's jaw dropped.

It was like, "This bloke seriously knows his s---".

You wish we had taped it.

He was all about working for your teammates and blocking for them, and making them better. One day a tagger was really riding me and he just came in and fairly sat this bloke on his bum.

His advice also helped me to back myself on the field.

One day he showed me some vision where I had just taken a mark.

He said: "Why didn't you just run around this bloke?" And I thought: "Why didn't I?"

To tone down his profanity-laden expression, he would say, "Stuff those guys".

But it was about maximising the potential you were born with by hard work.

His best piece of advice, though: "Look good, feel good, play good, and in that order."

For Ben, you needed to feel good about yourself before everything else flowed.

Now myself and Jack Riewoldt are in the leadership group, and we are working hard to build that aspect.

BECOMING the captain of Richmond would be amazing, but the best thing is that there are so many leaders: Newy, and vice-captain Trent Cotchin, and myself and Jack (Riewoldt) and Daniel Jackson, as well as plenty of others outside the official five-man group.

Wayne Campbell has really helped me build my leadership.

He told me that you can't expect to be best mates with everyone at the club, but you need to build relationships.

Whether it's getting the young blokes around for a feed, or getting them back to Kyabram, that's where it starts, and you try to build respect.

There is no doubt Jack Riewoldt has leadership.

He has come a long way since he first came into the leadership group and he was being questioned and the young blokes were questioning him.

He has learnt to bite his tongue, both on the field and in meetings.

When Dimma first came in we would call him the Big Wig in team meetings, sitting up the back and answering every question.

Because he knew the game plan so well, he knew every answer.

Dimma would eventually say, "Jack, shut up, let someone else have a go".

Now he listens as well as speaks.

His body language still sometimes spills over on the field, but that is something we are all guilty of.

Now we have spoken about doing it for the right reason.

Spray someone for ignoring you because that was the way the ball was supposed to move, not because they didn't give it to you.

On the field the recruits have made a difference, too.

Steven Morris dies for you in every contest, Shaun Grigg and Bachar Houli have been great, and Ivan Maric is just something special.

He is brilliant; such a competitor and someone who just loves hitting bodies.

The mullet is great, and he just doesn't care what people think of it.

But for me he is a mad man, and you know it when you look into his eyes. Fans see someone charging back to the centre square so quickly, while us midfielders are trying to catch our breath.

But he is high-kneeing it back, just anticipating the next bounce.

He has a point to prove, and he's just continuing to prove it every single game.

THE finals are a goal for us, but we won't get too far ahead of ourselves.

At 160 games without a final it puts me second on the current-day list of players, and it's killing me.

Finals means everything to me, and it's what drives us to improve as a club.

But it will happen at some stage, because we believe in this club.

Early in the year the club and myself committed to a five-year deal, which, to be honest, was never in doubt.

It was about the pride of being a one-club player and also wanting to show the young boys I am committed, so they should sign up too.

But the biggest thing was that it felt like we were starting to build something very special at Richmond.

You could jump ship and get on the coat-tails of a team that had been successful.

But you don't get the same feeling of satisfaction if you haven't come on the shared trip from where we have been.

There might be some more pot holes and diversions on that journey, but we believe we are heading in the right direction.