Author Topic: Trouble is brewing  (Read 57742 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Trouble is brewing
« Reply #375 on: November 24, 2004, 12:00:37 PM »
This is the full bit from Sunday's Punchlines in the Herald Sun (21/11/04):

Tigers' eye is Keane

By Scot Palmer (page 48)

Richmond's new "eyes and ears" and the replacement fro Tony Jewell is triple flag winner Merv Keane. The experienced Keane will work with operations cheif Greg Miller and as a conduit to the board when needed. Another surprise arrival at Punt Road is former Blue-Bulldog Gordon Casey, who will give input to the new look football division.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #376 on: November 24, 2004, 12:31:37 PM »
Just in case you misread me WP, I was knocking the other person.
I read the bit by Scott Palmer on the weekend and thought it extremely unlikely Keane would take on such a role if not to help the Casey board.
Another quality addition.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #377 on: November 24, 2004, 12:35:15 PM »
Just in case you misread me WP, I was knocking the other person.
I read the bit by Scott Palmer on the weekend and thought it extremely unlikely Keane would take on such a role if not to help the Casey board.
Another quality addition.

No no FF it's cool - I have been trying to find the article to post it for people - finally found it this morning in the recycle bin :help

Also, somewhere I read and it is probably at the beginning of this thread that Merv Keane was going to join the Casey board

:thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #378 on: November 24, 2004, 12:54:21 PM »
Anyone else get the impression that Miller would prefer the status quo from this and other statements he's made recently:

Wouldn’t surprise me one bit MT.  If he’s come to the conclusion that those from the past didn’t know how to change anything then why wouldn’t he prefer things as they are now?

I wouldn’t blame anyone for not wanting to go back to the sort of Board we’ve had previously, which just expected things to happen, rather than expect that they are the ones who can make them happen.

It’s clear that RFC has been totally unprofessional for years.  So why would we now want back those who helped create and perpetuate the mediocrity, when they could only see their way clear to stuff up the plans put in place now?

The Alternatives preach about how the Board under Casey was just waiting for the team to be successful so that the Club would be successful.  Well, the news is that the Club was running that way before Casey even arrived at RFC.  Interestingly enough, a number of the Alternative ticket was part of those Boards.  Not that they will accept any of the responsibility or criticism for that, or acknowledge that’s how things were back then.  And if they didn’t recognise that’s how things were then they shouldn’t have even been on the Board.  So why would we bring them back?  We have a death wish or something?

It’s only now people at RFC have had enough initiative to recognise and do something about the problems.  Miller would know the extent of things better than us and why would he, or anyone, want to bring back those who were content to sit back and wait for things to happen or change, rather than going out and making them happen, when we seem to be on the right path now.  Why risk sabotaging what has been started?

And why bring back those who aren’t able to accept when things are wrong and do something about changing them, but just take it as a personal affront when challenged about how the Club is going.  As has been the case in previous years.  What were they committed to, RFC or personal pride?

Many tough decisions may have already been made, but a lot has to happen before we can say we have well and truly turned things around.  There will still be tough times ahead and if and when they do arrive we don’t want any half-hearteds, who can only take us backwards and jeopardise our chances, being in control at those times.  Because no plan, no matter how good, is fool proof and can carry itself out to achieve the intended results, without people who know what they are doing, and the commitment to see it through, driving things.

Previous RFC Boards lacked the awareness and initiative to change anything.   The Club invariably stagnated once the on-field results didn't materialise.  What didn't seem to be realised, by those who could do something about it, was that the short-sighted solutions the Club continually adopted meant that the Club's Board, Administration and players were always off the hook, once it was decided that the Coach didn't know what he was doing after all.  It just never seemed to occur to those running things that maybe they were as responsible as anyone for our lack of success and behind the reasons why the Coach couldn't do his job properly, because the unaccountable environment, created and perpetuated by them, impacted on the players and, effectively, the whole Club.

It’s this sort of impact the Board has on the whole Club and it’s this sort of management we want to get away from – for good.  Bringing back those with blinkered views won’t help make life easy for anyone.  It’ll just stifle things.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #379 on: November 25, 2004, 02:44:49 AM »
Top post TS  :thumbsup
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #380 on: November 26, 2004, 12:03:11 PM »
I must admit I find it amusing that Casey's blamed for everything bad that's happened at Tigerland over the last 4-5 years. He's probably hiding Iraq's WMDs ;D

By the same token, it's interesting to note that he's given absolutely no credit for anything positive that has happened. So on one hand if it's bad it's down to Clinton, but if it's good then it's down to someone else.

Unlike some others at least Casey has come out on more than one occasion and admitted that he has made mistakes. If you listen to Schwab and co, even though most of them were on previous boards -  they never made a mistake, never made a decision or didn't have the balls to stand for themselves.

Personally I like the fact that Casey has an ego (ditto for Miller and Wallace). People with healthy egos want to be winners not LOSERS. Take a look a successful people, healthy egos the lot of them.

I'll be supporting Clinton at the AGM. I certainly won't be voting for yesterday's men.

Just climbing down from the soapbox now ;D

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #381 on: November 26, 2004, 12:24:17 PM »
Good post Bee Gees 25.

I was opposed to Casey in the beginning mainly because I didn't think he was a man who could make the right decisions in order to make us a successful club, and the on-field performances and losses incurred supported that view.  However the decisions that have been made recently have been spot on and what I have been crying out for.  Casey must take credit for these.  Slowly he has been winning me over and currently I'm at the point where I'm totally undecided.  I think alot of members are in the same boat.  On one hand you don't want to vote for a guy who's presided over consecutive big losses.  But on the other hand the decisions he has made recently have been really good and you know that we are heading in the right direction.  Do you punish someone for the big losses or do you reward them and place your faith in them to continue the right dirction of the club.

Don't know.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #382 on: November 26, 2004, 05:08:35 PM »
I may be mistaken but i am pretty sure i have read of Schwab taking some responsibility for the poor state of the club.

On the other hand i do not remember ever hearing Casey take any , if anyone has a quote of him taking responsibility please post it....

froars

« Reply #383 on: November 26, 2004, 07:02:28 PM »
I may be mistaken but i am pretty sure i have read of Schwab taking some responsibility for the poor state of the club.

I missed this great admission - what did he say Harry?

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #384 on: November 26, 2004, 08:45:04 PM »
it was no great admission IIRC
maybe one or two words in an interview.

i think it was in an article because i vaguely remember someone here responding along the lines of  "thats big of you"

froars

Tigers $2.2m in Red
« Reply #385 on: November 27, 2004, 08:43:13 AM »
RICHMOND last night acknowledged several mistakes had contributed to its $2.19 million operating loss this year, but president Clinton Casey remains confident of a dramatic turnaround.

In an e-mail to club members, Casey said the heavy loss was "totally unacceptable" and tried to smooth the waters by saying it had been forecast in March.
Now facing a board challenge at the December annual general meeting from the rebel Charles Macek-Brendan Schwab faction, Casey said the club had begun to rectify the situation.

"The board erred in budgeting for continued growth in revenues, particularly corporate sponsorships," he said.

"That budget was based on more on-field success and a lot more growth in the marketing field.

"It also provided for a relatively high-cost football department budget, to get the club back on track with on-field success."

Football department costs amounted to $10.6 million last season, $500,000 over budget, but the 2005 forecast has been cut to $9.8 million.

In a crippling blow, football, membership, corporate, event and function incomes were all down last season.

"In summary, we were over-optimistic on revenue," Casey said last night.

"That, along with a significant fall in revenue from our gaming venues, sponsorship and coterie groups, led to our financial plight.

"But having promptly recognised the challenges, we subsequently made changes with the CEO, to the administration, and in the football department structure, to make sure such financial problems don't arise again at Tigerland."

Casey said $1.5 million in savings had already been identified.

"Those cost-savings are virtually set in concrete already because they're in player contracts, membership fulfilment and other areas that we can actually control," Casey said.

While Casey is confident of being re-elected at the December 22 annual general meeting, it's understood legendary former captain and coach Francis Bourke has joined the call for change.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,11511200%255E19742,00.html

froars

« Reply #386 on: November 27, 2004, 10:05:28 AM »
While Casey is confident of being re-elected at the December 22 annual general meeting, it's understood legendary former captain and coach Francis Bourke has joined the call for change.

Maybe Bourke, Barrot, Clay and Hart - who according to rumour file yesterday are coming out in support of the alternative - can maybe let us know (the ordinary supporters) why they're in support of them.  Because I've heard nothing - maybe the alternative only talk to ppl who they think matter at the club - Presidents club men, ex players.  Be nice if they told the plebs what they were doing.

The alternative's campaign is starting to become very offensive to me.  Just talking to a small group of ppl while the masses sit and wait.  I'm sick of seeing ppl on sites give us a wink and say just wait.  Too late for me - i need to know what they're going to do now. I don't care who endorses them - i want to hear what they're going to do different.  So unless they've lined up a massive sponsorship deal with Telstra or whoever, can guarantee me a flag next year, i can't see what else they can possibly do seeing as a few of them are just as accountable for the losses we've incurred.

If it takes them this long to organise an election campaign - god help us with them running the club  ::)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 10:40:32 AM by froars »

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #387 on: November 27, 2004, 11:10:43 AM »

On the other hand i do not remember ever hearing Casey take any , if anyone has a quote of him taking responsibility please post it....

From the latest 'Fighting Tiger'

"Clearly, mistakes were made, but having made them, we at least knew how to avoid a repeat of them." Clinton Casey.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tigers $2.2m in Red
« Reply #388 on: November 27, 2004, 08:24:56 PM »
Firstly the 2004 budget is in the red to the tune of $2.2m not the Club.

In an e-mail to club members

che! ???

"That budget was based on more on-field success and a lot more growth in the marketing field.

"It also provided for a relatively high-cost football department budget, to get the club back on track with on-field success."

Football department costs amounted to $10.6 million last season, $500,000 over budget, but the 2005 forecast has been cut to $9.8 million.

In a crippling blow, football, membership, corporate, event and function incomes were all down last season.

"In summary, we were over-optimistic on revenue," Casey said last night.

Shear stupidity on Casey's and the rest of the board's part to pump more money into the footy dept. Fair enough you think long-term and keep Spud on for the sake of stability and to attract a real coach for 2005 but to waste even more money on Spud and Co. when it was bleedingly obvious they would fail was unbelievable  :scream.

Good to see $800K has been slashed from the footy dept. Offloading Otto, Gas' pay cut and going for youth helps alot in that regard so it's not like the footy dept. is being deprived unlike what some (Schwab) claim.

Casey said $1.5 million in savings had already been identified.

"Those cost-savings are virtually set in concrete already because they're in player contracts, membership fulfilment and other areas that we can actually control," Casey said.

My question is given that this still naively equates to a $700K shortfall ($2.2m minus $1.5m), how is this difference expected to be made up with the knowledge that we'll project a small loss for 2005 followed by a profit in 2006. What revenue increases have be identified or realised and can be genuinely relied upon?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #389 on: November 27, 2004, 08:42:35 PM »

Maybe Bourke, Barrot, Clay and Hart - who according to rumour file yesterday are coming out in support of the alternative - can maybe let us know (the ordinary supporters) why they're in support of them.  Because I've heard nothing - maybe the alternative only talk to ppl who they think matter at the club - Presidents club men, ex players.  Be nice if they told the plebs what they were doing.

The alternative's campaign is starting to become very offensive to me.  Just talking to a small group of ppl while the masses sit and wait.  I'm sick of seeing ppl on sites give us a wink and say just wait.  Too late for me - i need to know what they're going to do now. I don't care who endorses them - i want to hear what they're going to do different.  So unless they've lined up a massive sponsorship deal with Telstra or whoever, can guarantee me a flag next year, i can't see what else they can possibly do seeing as a few of them are just as accountable for the losses we've incurred.

If it takes them this long to organise an election campaign - god help us with them running the club  ::)

Agree froars.

After the past few positive months when finally a long-term vision and plan has begun to be implemented, what concerns me is us ending up back with a board that caves in to outside pressures. This IMHO has been the cancer behind our past 20+ years of failure. Too many minority groups in panic mode because things aren't instantly going right putting undue influence on the Club because of who and how important they think they are. As a result this "forces" weak board members to cave in and make quick-fix solutions that appease these minority groups but keep us in a state of mediocrity.