Author Topic: 6 players cut...  (Read 8200 times)

Jackstar

Re: 6 players cut...
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2004, 11:17:57 AM »
Hey TigersRoar, might be interesting where Jamar from Melbourne ends up :o

Offline DirtyDogTiger

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2004, 11:25:59 AM »
Come on guys....as hard as Fleming tries he still is well below-par which says a lot........HE BETTER BE CHOPPED!!! COME ON WILLIAM WALLACE......Do the right thing....

So far the names that Im hearing all deserve to be chopped so there is no pity or sadness from me.....i just say, next head on teh chopping block please!!!!

Tough luck there OM21, Zeuss and Apollo have decided to smile upon Tough Tim.
On the bright some...there are 6 worthy departees in his place

Marsh, Blumfield, Fletch, houli, Dragga, Nicholls (and that's why I'm against recycled players)

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2004, 11:39:12 AM »
I aint doubting the fact that the 6 that got the ass SHOULDNT have gone AFTER Fleming.....I just felt he was part of that pack as well. Ohh well win win really....
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
The Official List from the RFC Site
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2004, 12:03:44 PM »
Blumfield heads Tiger purge
11:39:34 AM Wed 1 September, 2004
Paul Gough
Sportal

The massive turnover at Richmond has moved from the administration to the playing list with six players told on Wednesday they are no longer required at the club.

The players are Billy Nicholls, Adam Houlihan, Ben Marsh, Justin Blumfield, Marc Dragicevic and Simon Fletcher.

This follows on from the retirements earlier this season of Duncan Kellaway and Matthew Rogers meaning the Tigers already have eight vacancies on their list for next season.

But the Tigers denied reports that David Rodan, Greg Stafford and Rory Hilton had also been given their marching orders saying reports to that effect were "damaging for those individuals."

With the exception of Dragicevic, the players delisted by the Tigers were all recruited from rival AFL clubs, with Blumfield - a star at Essendon during the club's all conquering 2000 premeirship campaign - clearly the biggest name.

He came to Richmond at the start of 2003, a victim of Essendon's salary cap problems but has been plagued by injury throughout his time at the club.

The man who was second best afield for the Bombers in the 2000 grand final behind James Hird never recovered from virtually tearing his thigh off the bone in the Tigers' Easter Monday clash against St Kilda just four games into his new career.

He still managed 11 games for the season but this year could play just eight after knee and shoulder problems sidelined him for the first half of 2004.

Blumfield has played 148 games since debuting in bizarre circumstances in the re-start of the infamous Essendon-St Kilda "blackout" game of 1996 at Waverley Park but at just 26 - he turns 27 in late November - his career could now be over.

Marsh, a 1998 premiership ruckman from Adelaide, was picked up by the Tigers in last year's pre-season draft but has been delisted after just one season as has Simon Fletcher, a former wingman with Carlton who was taken at pick 79 in last year's national draft.

Dragicevic has had to battle back from two knee re-constructions but was given a second chance by the Tigers this season after being named on the rookie list after being de-listed last year.

But due to his age, he will be 24 next season, he would no longer qualify for the rookie list next season and the Tigers would have been forced to put him on the senior list which they were unwilling to do.

Nicholls joined from Hawthorn in 2003 but has rarely featured in the senior line-up while Houlihan has also struggled to command a regular senior place since joining from Geelong in 2002.

The de-listing of the six players continues the purge at Punt Road since the end of the 2004 season in which the club lost its last 14 matches - its worst ever losing run in a single season - to finish on the bottom of the ladder for the first time since 1989.

Senior coach for the past five years Danny Frawley has already left the club as has former football manager Greg Hutchison and Frawley's former coaching assistants in Wayne Brittain, Darren Crocker and Paul Spargo as new coach Terry Wallace begins the task of not only purging the senior playing list but also hiring a new coaching staff.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=168921

======================

I think Rory Hilton is one lucky fella
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
Re: The Official List from the RFC Site
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2004, 12:12:09 PM »
I think Rory Hilton is one lucky fella

Just because he wasnt in the first lot it doesnt mean he is safe........ ;)
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2004, 12:19:04 PM »

So my idea of the Tigers trading for Jamar may not be far fetched.

I'll put it on the table again. Jamar for Fiora -  :thumbsup

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2004, 12:37:10 PM »
Tiger cull
By Mark RobinsonSeptember 1, 2004

The Tigers would not release names last night, but it's understood the six will come from Adam Houlihan, Billy Nicholls, Marc Dragicevic, Simon Fletcher, Ben Marsh, Justin Blumfield, David Rodan, Greg Stafford and Rory Hilton.

What a dsigrace you are Mr Robinson - your attempt to get the scoop by listing 9 names was a joke. But at least I understand you have no idea - congratulations >:(

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2004, 12:43:56 PM »
All things being equal there are about 20 blokes on our list who should be given the flick, but its good to see they picked out the biggest duds of the bunch.

I must say I'm amazed Rory Hilton survived the purge. Interesting that Morrison survived, given that he's a ready made player who has done nothing and can't even get near a spot in the firsts. Still LMFAOOOOOOO@the hype surrounding the dud jsut becuase he would have been manning up on Jonathan Brown in training drills.

Fleming rightfully earnt another year on the list through his work ethic, even though I'm pretty sure Wallace won't let him anywhere near the firsts.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2004, 12:46:29 PM »

Interesting that Morrison survived, given that he's a ready made player who has done nothing and can't even get near a spot in the firsts.

It's called a contract JohnF  ;) he has one - he nominated his terms last draft and it was a 2 year deal.  :thumbsup

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2004, 04:20:40 PM »
Happy for Flem...he ain't the best, but if effort counted, he would be a superstar. Go Fonz!  :thumbsup
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline thetigerman

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2004, 04:48:42 PM »
Just got a call of a mate who said tonight on 3aw the 6 players cut are...hilton ..marsh ..houlihan...fleming..fletcher..and  nichols..all given marching orders today..

No suprises really-- all were on my list. Dragicevic also gone.
  Look out  Pettifer , Hall , Hyde , Zantuck - you are trade bait.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2004, 04:56:34 PM »
  Look out  Pettifer , Hall , Hyde , Zantuck - you are trade bait.

You can add Fiora & Chaffey to the trade bait list - that's my list btw ;D

Offline Cain

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2004, 05:15:43 PM »
Hyde as traidbait is a bit harsh - dont mind the kid mytself
If a person with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2004, 03:06:10 AM »

Jackstar.  Jamar or Jolly?  Which one is a better get?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2004, 04:04:54 AM »
Six Tigers get the axe
02 September 2004   
Herald Sun
By Mark Stevens

NEW Richmond coach Terry Wallace swung the axe swiftly to avoid playing out a charade and creating false hope.

Wallace, who met the playing group for the first time at Punt Rd yesterday, did not want to address anyone he knew was not part of the future.

"I had no intention of speaking to guys I had no intention of keeping," Wallace said.

"Why build them up for no reason? Once you've made a decision on them, I don't think you offer people false hope."

Missing from the meet-and-greet session were Justin Blumfield, Adam Houlihan, Marc Dragicevic, Bill Nicholls, Ben Marsh and Simon Fletcher - all early victims as the rebuilding of Tigerland begins.

Wallace made it clear yesterday to all others on the list that they have a part to play in the new era at Punt Rd.

But there could be further changes during trade period. Like all clubs, very few players will be untouchable if the right deal comes along.

With the retirement of Matthew Rogers and Duncan Kellaway, eight Tigers are already gone. The Tigers only turned over eight players last off-season.

Wallace said it was too early to call whether the total turnover would possibly extend into double figures.

"It depends on trades and what opens up and what doesn't open up. I can't guess what's going to happen in future," he said.

Wallace has kept a close watch on the Tigers' playing stocks all season through his media role.

"I've seen every game for the year," Wallace said.

"I've met with Greg on numerous occasions and I thought it was time to make a decision in everyone's best interests."

Wallace spent half an hour addressing the playing group yesterday morning, outlining his vision.

The message was clear: It has been a horrible year, but everybody in the room had the ability to change it for the better.

Wallace will interview every player one-on-one in the next month.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10643035%255E19771,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd