Author Topic: 6 players cut...  (Read 8251 times)

Offline moe

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
6 players cut...
« on: August 31, 2004, 10:13:00 PM »
Just got a call of a mate who said tonight on 3aw the 6 players cut are...hilton ..marsh ..houlihan...fleming..fletcher..and  nichols..all given marching orders today..

froars

Re: 6 players cut...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 10:17:11 PM »
How did Timmy get the flick when there's effing Fiora!  :(

Offline moe

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 10:19:56 PM »
Yeah..agree...if aw are on the mark there will be a few dissapointed supporters..but this will be just the start i think...

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 10:53:57 PM »
On Talking Footy - they said Blumfield was given his marching orders today.

The others mentioned were Marsh, Houlihan, Fletcher and Nicholls with one to follow. Neither Fleming or Hilton were mentioned.

They also said that Wallace wasn't delivering the news Greg Miller was and that Terry is supposed to be addressing the players tomorrow
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

froars

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 10:54:48 PM »
 ;D

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 11:05:21 PM »
I have just creamed myself...I missed Talking Footy (that part) but my old man filled me in so I ran her immediately.

WP...my old man reckons that Fleming was mentioned on TF. Hmmm we need some clarification on whose out...Im excited.

Does anyone know how happy I am Fleming is gone? Ohh this is brilliant...sorry froars but you can try and act like a footballer but at our club we aint buying it anymore!!! Dont worry Fiorio is next!
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 11:08:14 PM »

WP...my old man reckons that Fleming was mentioned on TF. Hmmm we need some clarification on whose out...Im excited.

Cool om21 - I probably missed Fleming's name after because of my joy in hearing Blumfield got the flick.

BTW don't agree with Fleming getting the chop - there are others before him that should go
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

froars

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 11:08:57 PM »
...sorry froars but you can try and act like a footballer but at our club we aint buying it anymore!!!
Just because you have shocking taste doesn't mean you have to apologise  ::)
I'm sure you are not the only who thinks Fleming is a waste of space - but i am certainly not one of them.
I hate football  :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 11:14:41 PM »
Fiora is still contracted until next year. Traded or paid out is the only way he can be cut.

Not surprised by the names. All out of contract and all wouldn't be part of a premiership even if they survived one more year.

I can understand froars being upset. There is no way Fleming based on his attitude and commitment should have been cut before Fiora if they were both out of contract but a contract is a contract. Similar to Duncan and Rogers surviving last year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 11:24:39 PM »
Getting rid of Fleming is not a good example to borderline players trying to improve themselves.
Timmy gave absolutely everything of himself and this is his reward.
Wallace can go to hell  :'(

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 11:46:57 PM »
I too am a Flemming fan, maybe Wallace could have worked on his disposal and got this better because there was never any doubt on this boys commitment which is sadly lacking in the majority of the rest :'(
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 11:51:13 PM »
No question this time of year is awful and heartless but from this it looks like we are going to set a standard in regards to AFL footy ability and if you don't cut it and are out of contract it's good-bye. Dare I say it - Ruthless Richmond  :o.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2004, 12:12:00 AM »
Tiger cull
By Mark Robinson
September 1, 2004

THE blood-letting at Richmond has continued, with three players told yesterday they were sacked and another three being delisted today.

The Tigers would not release names last night, but it's understood the six will come from Adam Houlihan, Billy Nicholls, Marc Dragicevic, Simon Fletcher, Ben Marsh, Justin Blumfield, David Rodan, Greg Stafford and Rory Hilton.

In a week-long purge, which started with the sacking of the entire football and recruiting departments, it's understood the Tigers yesterday told three players they were not required next year.

Another three will be told by 10am today.

The sackings follow the retirements of Duncan Kellaway and Matthew Rogers.

It's understood another six players will be offered for trade in October.

Tigers football director Greg Miller confirmed the sackings last night but would not divulge the names.

"The process has begun but it has not been completed," Miller said.

"Yes, there will be some changes on the list and there will be a media release as soon as it's completed."

Positive news, however, is that Kangaroos assistant coach Brian Royal is set to join Wallace at Richmond.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 03:00:51 AM by one-eyed »
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2004, 12:13:51 AM »
SEN seem to have info on 4 of the players gone. Draga, Blumfield, Marsh & Houlihan.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2004, 01:02:53 AM »
Wallace begins his Tiger purge
By Jake Niall, Stephen Rielly
September 1, 2004
www.realfooty.com.au

Essendon premiership player Justin Blumfield was among a quartet of Richmond players who were given their marching orders yesterday.

Blumfield, Adam Houlihan, Marc Dragicevic and Ben Marsh were all told their services were no longer required by the Tigers. Another two players are to be axed today, while coach Terry Wallace speaks to the remainder of the playing group for the first time this afternoon.

Blumfield, who only four years ago was among the best afield in Essendon's 2000 premiership side, was last night told of his fate by Richmond football director Greg Miller, who has presided over a massive cull of the Richmond football department that has now spread to the players.

Wallace's address to the players, his first since he was appointed coach, is a sign of the urgency that has gripped Punt Road since the new coach came on board, with the entire coaching panel having been cleaned out, along with Richmond recruiting manager Greg Beck. The commitment to a long-term overhaul, reflected in Wallace's five-year contract and the cleanout of players yesterday, is expected to be further underlined today by the appointment of Brian Royal as an assistant coach for at least three years.

The Tigers are expected to confirm the arrival of Royal this afternoon, the first of several appointments Wallace is to make as he rebuilds a football department that effectively has been levelled.

Blumfield, 26, was acquired by the Tigers in the dying minutes of the trading period of 2002 as Essendon was forced to shed players to get under the salary cap. Traded for pick 28, Blumfield appeared to be a bargain-basement deal in the Essendon fire sale. But injuries have robbed him of much of the athleticism that made him such a valuable player at Windy Hill and an important contributor to the Bombers' last premiership.

Houlihan was brought in to "top up" the Tigers following their preliminary final appearance in 2001 but he, too, failed to have the impact the club sought.

Marsh, a former Adelaide premiership ruckman, was drafted by Richmond at the end of last year as insurance for the talented but injury-prone ruck combination of Brad Ottens and Greg Stafford.

Dragicevic, 23, was brought up from the rookie list this year and managed to make it back into the senior team for two games but has not made up the ground he lost since he had two knee reconstructions.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 03:46:41 AM by one-eyed »