Author Topic: Picks 8, 26, 58 and 70  (Read 21080 times)

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Picks 8, 26, 58, ...
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2008, 04:07:58 PM »
Interesting. No Ziebell.

or tengrove, mckernan, swift

Sheeans lost the plot

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2008, 07:17:26 PM »
Interesting. No Ziebell.

or tengrove, mckernan, swift

Sheeans lost the plot
Not true. It just said "some" of the first round players. It was not a "here is my top 10 " list

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2008, 07:22:24 PM »
Sheahan has done this in two parts so far. So maybe there'll be a third part tomorrow which contains Ziebell.

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2008, 11:06:43 PM »
SEN tonight had an hour of draft talk with Nigel Carmody from Elite Sports:

Expects Jack Ziebell to go at 8 so a strong chance Francis Jackson will be calling out his name on draft day. They compared him to a Nathan Buckley type. Mouthwatering prospect for the Tigers to have Ziebell and Cotchin in the same midfield brigade.

hope the bloke is on to something.  Would love to get ziebell into our midfield. 

did the guy do a mock draft list of some sort?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2008, 04:53:16 PM »
Kevin Sheahan's list of his first rounders:

Nicholas Naitanui (Swan Districts)
Jack Watts (Sandringham Dragons)
Daniel Rich (Subiaco)
Sam Blease (Eastern Rangers)
Tyrone Vickery (Sandringham Dragons)
Steele Sidebottom (Murray Bushrangers)
Hamish Hartlett (West Adelaide)
Jamie Sheahan (Murray Bushrangers)
Dayne Beams (Southport)
Aaron Cornelius (Tassie Mariners)
Ayce Cordy (Geelong Falcons)

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=68955

Sheehan has added more names today:

Michael Hurley (Northern Knights)
Rory Sloane (Eastern Rangers)
Nick Suban (North Ballarat)
Shaun McKernan (Calder Cannons)
Tom Rockliff (Murray Bushrangers)

Jack Ziebell (Murray Bushrangers)
A young star, equally capable at half-back, in the centre or as a leading forward. Powerful kick, very competitive, great in the contest, he’s what the clubs want: blokes that can play anywhere and leadership potential to boot.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=68956

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2008, 10:06:12 PM »
SEN tonight had an hour of draft talk with Nigel Carmody from Elite Sports:

Expects Jack Ziebell to go at 8 so a strong chance Francis Jackson will be calling out his name on draft day. They compared him to a Nathan Buckley type. Mouthwatering prospect for the Tigers to have Ziebell and Cotchin in the same midfield brigade.

hope the bloke is on to something.  Would love to get ziebell into our midfield. 

did the guy do a mock draft list of some sort?

I didn't hear it if he did peggles. I missed the first 20 minutes of the program. SEN had callers ringing up asking him about players and the draft in general. There were a couple of Tiger supporters which pricked up my ears. If a quality KPP like a Vickery is gone then Ziebell would be a good midfield choice for us with our first pick. Best available kid at our pick who just so happens to fill a need of ours (solid body midfield ballwinner and clearance winner).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2008, 10:26:52 PM »
This is going to be a difficult choice. We have an increasingly talent midfield with Cotch, Lids, Foley and co. which someone like Ziebell would help form an elite engine for the future but...

..what we really need is quality talls and in particular a talented ruckman to first support and eventually replace Simmonds.

I am hoping we draft two talls with our first two choices.

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2008, 10:18:02 PM »
We need a big key mobile forward as well but to take one at pick 8 we may be getting the 4th best tall who may or may not be as good as the top 3 whereas selecting a midfielder may score us a gun that in 2-3 year time completes a strong and deep midfield brigade that can be rotated without us losing drive. We do need more solid ball and clearance winner mids who can use the footy well too.

Cotch Foley Lids
Ziebell Tuck Tambling
Connors Edwards White Polo Jackson Thomson

I didn't include Cogs in case he's finished.

As you say Stripes it's not an easy decision.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2008, 11:22:51 PM »
This is one of the best drafts for talls for a long time so I hope we get 2 with 8 & 26, a forward and a ruckman
Hoping for Vickery @ 8 and Johnston @ 26 but I'm sceptical of both getting through to us at these picks
We can focus on another midfielder with our first pick next year, we have spent most of our time with midfielders since Terry walked in the door so a couple of big blokes in a good year for big blokes is the way to go

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2008, 11:47:31 PM »
I would love us to grab two talls (big key forward and a ruckman) as well to balance up our list and fill two needs. However if Vickery is gone before pick 8, which is most likely with Port interested in him, do we go with either a McKernan, Trengove or Johnston to grab that tall despite them not being a Watts or Vickery class or in Trengove's case he's coming back from serious injury -OR- do we go best available midfielder who could be a Hartlett or Ziebell?

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2008, 11:58:46 PM »
Vickery will surely go to Port (assuming NicNat goes top 3) as they now have no young ruckmen with only Brogan and Lade to hold the postion.
EAT EM ALIVE!

FooffooValve

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2008, 02:37:45 PM »
Wouldn't mind Tom Hill at pick 58 if still there. Is a bottom-age tall, I reckon would go in the top 20 next year.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2008, 01:54:17 PM »
Vickery will surely go to Port (assuming NicNat goes top 3) as they now have no young ruckmen with only Brogan and Lade to hold the postion.
Port still have Brogan, Giles, Lade, Lobbe & 2 x Westhoff who are 198-200cm, Thurstans has also been known to ruck at 196cm
I still think they are a good chance to take the local boy in Hartlett and then look at the other local ruck of Redden with a later pick

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2008, 07:50:05 PM »
Neither Westhoffs are ruckmen though and the other two are still only 20 or under so no certs of making it either. Port also need a big tall forward to replace Tredrea so Vickery would kill two birds with one stone for them. The only risk is the go home factor.

Wouldn't mind Tom Hill at pick 58 if still there. Is a bottom-age tall, I reckon would go in the top 20 next year.
Is he still growing? I know he rucked for the Knights but at 198cm he's borderline height for a modern AFL ruckman when he's going to have to compete with 200cm (plus) opponents. Be handy for him if he can grow another couple of cms taller.

Butcher is the tall forward everyone will be chasing after in the 2009 draft. He'd most likely be a first rounder this year if he was eligible.

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2008, 09:21:22 PM »
We need a big key mobile forward as well but to take one at pick 8 we may be getting the 4th best tall who may or may not be as good as the top 3 whereas selecting a midfielder may score us a gun that in 2-3 year time completes a strong and deep midfield brigade that can be rotated without us losing drive. We do need more solid ball and clearance winner mids who can use the footy well too.

Cotch Foley Lids
Ziebell Tuck Tambling
Connors Edwards White Polo Jackson Thomson

I didn't include Cogs in case he's finished.

As you say Stripes it's not an easy decision.
love the look of the midfield depth there

I would love us to grab two talls (big key forward and a ruckman) as well to balance up our list and fill two needs. However if Vickery is gone before pick 8, which is most likely with Port interested in him, do we go with either a McKernan, Trengove or Johnston to grab that tall despite them not being a Watts or Vickery class or in Trengove's case he's coming back from serious injury -OR- do we go best available midfielder who could be a Hartlett or Ziebell?

i would go the midfielder in that case