Author Topic: Picks 8, 26, 58 and 70  (Read 21515 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Picks 8, 26, 42, 58, ...
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2008, 09:16:37 PM »

Interesting to see if Sidebottom's slow 20m sprint takes some of the gloss from his GF blitz.

Do you know what time he ran MT?
The Pieman didn't have Sidebottom's exact time but they were guessing it was 3.05+.

The best times were posted in the 2008 draft camp thread

1. #39 Ashley Smith, Dandenong, Defender - 2.80 secs
2. #65 Jack Watts, Sandringham, Tall Forward - 2.82 secs  :o
3. #12 Stephen Hill, West perth, Midfielder - 2.83 secs
4. #75 Nic Naitanui, Swan Districts, Ruck - 2.86 secs
5. #34 Tom Swift, Claremont, Midfielder - 2.89 secs   (not bad for someone who was coming back from injury)
6. #15 Ryan Schoenmakers, Norwood, Forward - 2.90 secs
7. #3 Sam Blease, Eastern, Midfielder - 2.91 secs
7. #17 Nick Heyne, Gippsland, Forward - 2.91 secs
9. #43 Taylor Hunt, Sandringham, Defender - 2.92 secs
9. #30 Luke Shuey, Oakleigh, Midfielder - 2.92 secs
9. #33 Matthew DeBoer, Claremont, Midfielder - 2.92 secs
12.#74 Tyrone Vickery, Sandringham, Ruck - 2.94 secs  :o
12.#21 Bryce Carroll, Western Jets, Forward - 2.94 secs

Ziebell was 3.00 - 3.10
Sidebottom was 3.05+
Hurley 2.95 - 3.00

Hartlett, Rich and Beams didn't run

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?topic=7895.msg116344#msg116344
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2008, 09:21:37 PM »
As someone on BF said the Top 30 is looking good (names mentioned by Melbourne recruiter McCartney) so this draft seems to have depth like 2006 did when we got Connors at 58.

Midfielders
Blease
Suban
Walters
S.Hill
Harteltt
Rich
Ziebell
Swift
Sidebottom

Forwards and Backs
Yarran
Heyne
Schoenmakers
L.Johnstone
J.Trengove
Watts
T.Lynch
Cornelius
L.Jones
McKernan
Hurley
Rockliff

Rucks
Roughead
Natunai
Vickery

Plus others..
Broadbent
O'Keffe
Cahill
Zaharakis
DeBoer
Pearce
A.Cordy (pick 14)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL draft talent to satisfy needs of all (Age)
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2008, 04:35:06 AM »
AFL talent to satisfy needs of all
Sam Edmund | October 04, 2008

AFTER three days of testing the country's best young AFL talent, next month's draft is expected to resemble a smorgasbord with something for everyone.

The popular view at the Australian Institute of Sport is the game's newest inductees will provide solid value for clubs well into the second round of the draft.

"With the first 20-25 players you're going to really find something for everyone there," Collingwood recruiting manager Derek Hine said.

"There's some really good depth in the midfield and there's some taller boys that are just going to be really advantageous if you're looking for that type of player.

Western Bulldogs recruiting manager Scott Clayton said there were at least a dozen talls that would go on to forge long careers.

"Clearly there's a really good bunch of tall players and a greater number of ruckmen than a lot of years," he said.

"It's a good, tall draft."

Hawthorn recruiting manager Chris Pelchen said there was more to come further down the list.

"It's well documented that 2001 was an outstanding group at the top end," he said.

"I think this one runs a little deeper in terms of the depth of the talent, which is pleasing for all the clubs. I would expect the first two rounds will be good for everyone.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24443612-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2008, 05:44:30 PM »
Doesn't sound like we're interested in Neville Jetta.

Neville Jetta, Swan Districts, WA

"It was good to chat to the clubs. They are basically all the same. They don't give much away and try to keep a straight face. Some of the clubs were pretty intense, but others were pretty laid back. I had Melbourne and Port Adelaide today. I spoke to Mark Williams and had a good chat. I've also spoken to Geelong, Essendon and the Western Bulldogs."

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=68627

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2008, 05:38:22 PM »
Trading for an inside mid makes me think we may now go tall in the draft if we don't/can't trade for a ruckman. Perhaps a key forward at 8 (Vickey, McKernan) and then a ruckman at 26 (Roughead?).

Ramps

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2008, 05:49:14 PM »
I would hope that we would still take best available at 8. For example if Hartlett is available at 8 I would still select him, and take a key forward in r2 and the ruck at 58. All clubs have to have 3 selections at the draft. We should always take the best available with a top 10 pick.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2008, 06:46:18 PM »
Trading for an inside mid makes me think we may now go tall in the draft if we don't/can't trade for a ruckman. Perhaps a key forward at 8 (Vickey, McKernan) and then a ruckman at 26 (Roughead?).

Would hope we still get mid.

Ziebell pls.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2008, 08:09:35 PM »
We should always take the best available with a top 10 pick.

Absolutely agree 150% oh wise one :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Picks 8, 26, 58, ...
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2008, 03:05:02 PM »
I would hope that we would still take best available at 8. For example if Hartlett is available at 8 I would still select him, and take a key forward in r2 and the ruck at 58. All clubs have to have 3 selections at the draft. We should always take the best available with a top 10 pick.
That's true Ramps. I just was meaning if the choice came down to a mid and KPP of around equal talent that the club likes at pick 8 then it wouldn't surprise me if we went for the tall. We haven't chosen a KPP with a top 10 pick since Otto 11 years ago. Either way I don't think we can lose with pick 8 this year (well we shouldn't unless we were to stupidly go speculative). Some very talented youngsters on offer. Outside Watts and Rich, the next group of 6-7 could be finish up being selected anywhere in the top 8. I also feel more confident about our drafting since Francis Jackson has fully taken over (since 2006).

You'd reckon Ziebell would be one we're interested in Bents. Perhaps not the class of a Hartlett but a midfield ballwinner with size and grunt and a pretty safe bet.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2008, 01:11:56 AM »
Trade week fails to deliver talls and ruckmen
Sam Lienert | October 12, 2008

TALL forwards and ruckmen are likely to be at a premium in the upcoming AFL national and pre-season drafts, after several clubs failed in their attempts to trade for them during the week.

Richmond and Melbourne are seeking to boost their ruck stocks.

The Tigers failed to come to terms with West Coast over big man Mark Seaby, who was looking to leave the Eagles for greater opportunity.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/trade-week-fails-to-deliver-talls-and-ruckmen/2008/10/11/1223145704652.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2008, 11:54:17 PM »
SEN tonight had an hour of draft talk with Nigel Carmody from Elite Sports:

Expects Jack Ziebell to go at 8 so a strong chance Francis Jackson will be calling out his name on draft day. They compared him to a Nathan Buckley type. Mouthwatering prospect for the Tigers to have Ziebell and Cotchin in the same midfield brigade.

Tom Swift - around first 2 rounds.

Lewis Johnston - best of key forward out of SA. Still quite raw so the club that gets him will have something to work with. Great effort by him to play so well given he had to travel a long way to play.

Shaun McKernan - biggest hand span at the draft camp. Plays like his older brother Corey. Expects him to go on the fringes of first round or second round.

Hurley - to go around pick 5 or 6 (Ess or Carl).

A caller asked about a ruckman for Richmond? Naitanui will be long gone and we'll be unlikely to get Vickery at pick 8. So next looking at a Roughead (who may be around at our next pick) or McKernan (although not sure he'll be tall enough to be a ruckman at AFL level?). Expects there to be 6-8 talls around to choose from at pick 26.

Top 3 will be Watts, Naitanui and Rich so Melbourne and both WA sides will be able to get the best available youngster who just happens to come from the same state. No need to worry about go-home factor for them.

Expects first 4 Vics to be Watts, Vickery, Ziebell, Sidebottom. Hurley will be close behind. Victoria will supply 50% of the draft this year.

Kicking is back up to the top of the recruiters minds thanks to Hawthorn's 11 left footers cutting Geelong open in the Grand Final. Turnovers by foot hurt you so much now days if a kid can't kick well then he's going to struggle to get drafted.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2008, 12:54:05 AM »
SEN tonight had an hour of draft talk with Nigel Carmody from Elite Sports:

Expects Jack Ziebell to go at 8 so a strong chance Francis Jackson will be calling out his name on draft day. They compared him to a Nathan Buckley type. Mouthwatering prospect for the Tigers to have Ziebell and Cotchin in the same midfield brigade.

Foley and Lids the old timers.  :cheers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2008, 03:06:03 PM »
Kevin Sheahan's list of his first rounders:

Nicholas Naitanui (Swan Districts)
Jack Watts (Sandringham Dragons)
Daniel Rich (Subiaco)
Sam Blease (Eastern Rangers)
Tyrone Vickery (Sandringham Dragons)
Steele Sidebottom (Murray Bushrangers)
Hamish Hartlett (West Adelaide)
Jamie Sheahan (Murray Bushrangers)
Dayne Beams (Southport)
Aaron Cornelius (Tassie Mariners)
Ayce Cordy (Geelong Falcons)

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=68955

richmondrules

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2008, 03:42:13 PM »
Interesting. No Ziebell.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2008, 03:54:21 PM »
Where hell did Sheahan pull Dayne Beams from? Will be lucky to be drafted before the 3rd round I'd guess.   :-\

I also cant see Sheahan getting into the first round because he's undersized.

EAT EM ALIVE!